• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seinfeld is the Unfunniest Sitcom of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could understand someone not liking Seinfeld, but there's no way it can hold the title of unfunniest sitcom ever when Dharma and Greg, Big Bang Theory, Friends, Married With Children, Joey, King of Queens, 2 and a Half Men, Baby Talk, The Cavemen (seriously, this show), My Mother the Car, House of Payne, and the atrocity that was AfterMASH exist.

Like, really, there have been some garbage sitcoms.

OH MY GOD THIS IS AN EPIDEMIC!

BigDug13

Totally understandable. Curb can be truly painful to watch at times. You spend episode after episode thinking to yourself "dont do it larry, larry just stop".

Its not as fun to watch as Seinfeld but its still really rewarding if you can get into it. It also seems to get better as it goes on. Personally I've found season 7 and 8 to be the most enjoyable yet.

Definitely try to give season 7 of curb a go because the whole story arc for that season is based around them making/filming a Seinfeld reunion show.

I'm happy to hear that Curb gets better. I think the show is great, but so many social cringe worthy moments. I'm halfway through season 2 now. The shit he steps in gets so deep and is so painful to watch, yet satisfying in a morbid way.

Man

I can't believe we sat by and let According to Jim happen.
Five hundred men just sat and watched.

610205-jaime_lannister_01_large.png

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
End yourself.

First off, I just wanna say, OP you're retarded.

the mods shouldn't let someone with obvious mental issues go around posting nonsensical shit on the boards.

I don't mind people having opinions or not liking Seinfeld.....but Friends? Really? Friends is better than Seinfeld? When people say things like this they deserve to be cursed and beaten down.

Wow, are you guys this nice in real life?

-MB-

Gotta love how the elitist come out of the woodwork, acting all insulted their favorite sitcom just got dissed, while they always feel entitled to do the same when it comes to shit they don't like.
Such As Big bang theory, Friends etc.

I remember avoiding Curb Your Enthusiasm for the longest time, as I just didn't find Seinfeld funny at all. I figured Curb just wouldn't be funny if it was created by anyone associated with Seinfeld.

I was wrong of course. Absolutely love Curb, and although I have tried Seinfeld again since watching Curb and still don't find it funny.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I think the most egregious problem here is the abysmal level of discourse. Seinfeld is critically loved and very, very popular. If you want to dislike it - and that is perfectly valid - then just say, don't try and project your opinion as fact. There was a very nice post earlier in the thread explaining that he didn't like Seinfeld, not that it was bad. If you want to prove that it is bad you have to do far more than most of the arguments in here have done and actually argue. Not using the colloquial 'like' to begin a sentence would be a nice start.

Sloane

Banned
I was wrong of course. Absolutely love Curb, and although I have tried Seinfeld again since watching Curb and still don't find it funny.
Weird, since Curb is basically the same show as Seinfeld, just less sitcom-y. But the humor is the same and most of the stories are pretty much interchangeable.

then why did he need to quote other people in his OP? sounds like he's looking for validation.
he'll find no such thing here. also, who can hate Kramerica industries!?

I'm with you that he shouldn't quote other posters and transplant them into the OP to help validate his opinion. You like what you like; be an adult and stand by your opinion. I just took issue with the name calling and-quite frankly-juvenile posts brow-beating him for his opinion.

Also, to be clear, I think Seinfeld is fantastic, but I can see how some people may not like it.

It is one of the most intelligent yet stupid shows of all time. They don't exactly continue the story but each episode is its own unique story that flows quite well. I really can't watch many other shows (especially anything current or from the past 5 to 10 years) so this is fine to me.

I do like the following however

Home Improvement
Fresh Prince
Rosanne (some.. but it is hard to think about watching it till I actually see it on.. Goodman is just good though)
Family Matters is ok at times but below other stuff

Beyond that, I really can't get into much else that much. Old simpsons maybe...

I actually really don't mind the old Nick stuff. I am not even sure how to watch that stuff anymore. Does it come on anywhere?

Are you afraid of the dark?
Pete and Pete?
Salute your shorts etc

The OP needs a tag, Newman!

Weird, since Curb is basically the same show as Seinfeld, just less sitcom-y. But the humor is the same and most of the stories are pretty much interchangeable.

To be fair, part of the problem is that I find Jerry Seinfeld irritating to watch. Whereas with Larry I could watch him all day and never get tired of him.

Hoplatee

Seinfeld, Frasier & Newsradio. Good times, good times. I will never understand how anyone could hate those shows.

Untill the actor that played Bill got murdered by his crazy wife. Newsradio just wasn't the same after that :(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Never got the appeal, maybe 3 or 4 chuckle-worthy moments in the shows massive history, and thats that. Its not the worst comedy ever, that goes to shit like Big Bang Theory (I idly watched an episode during lunch the other day, my god) but I wouldnt really slot it into a good column ever either, its just... there.

I do have to raise an eyebrow when people say its the best comedy ever though. I feel like I need to guide them into pastures funnier with Arrested Development, The Thick of It, or Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Never got the appeal, maybe 3 or 4 chuckle-worthy moments in the shows massive history, and thats that. Its not the worst comedy ever, that goes to shit like Big Bang Theory (I idly watched an episode during lunch the other day, my god) but I wouldnt really slot it into a good column ever either, its just... there.

I do have to raise an eyebrow when people say its the best comedy ever though. I feel like I need to guide them into pastures funnier with Arrested Development, The Thick of It, or Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Arrested Development is insanely overrated. It's not even good.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You have a Darkplace avatar, and that is the only thing saving you from being sectioned right this very instant.

It is a finely crafted piece of comedy perfection.

I've never really watched Seinfeld. Unlike Friends, Fraiser and Will & Grace, Seinfield was never that big over here (UK). I don't recall it being shown on our terrestrial channels. I really should check it out sometime.

I think the OP shows that sometimes a persons personality is truly in charge of what is funny. How many people do some of you know will look at slap stick humor and laugh their ass off and then find something with more meaning to it and they fall asleep

Seinfeld, Frasier & Newsradio. Good times, good times. I will never understand how anyone could hate those shows.

Untill the actor that played Bill got murdered by his crazy wife. Newsradio just wasn't the same after that :(

Frasier went way too long. I watched every episode when they first aired, and I probably have seen most of them twice. But now when there's a rerun on telly I'll have to switch channels. I can't stand it any longer...

My wife doesn't like Seinfeld of Curb, because the characters are so unlikeable. And she even complains when we watch The Ricky Gervais Show, because the other guys are so mean to Karl. But then she likes Sex And The City, where almost every character is unlikeable...

Frasier went way too long. I watched every episode when they first aired, and I probably have seen most of them twice. But now when there's a rerun on telly I'll have to switch channels. I can't stand it any longer...

My wife doesn't like Seinfeld of Curb, because the characters are so unlikeable. And she even complains when we watch The Ricky Gervais Show, because the other guys are so mean to Karl. But then she likes Sex And The City, where almost every character is unlikeable...

Clearly she likes sex? lol

There's something very important that people are brushing over, and that is the OP's country of origin. I've noticed that like and dislike on Seinfeld seem to vary wildly based on location. I'd be interested to know where people who both love it or hate it come from. Maybe age as well.

22 here, and I personally love it, grew up in the Bronx, NY. I also got really into it around 12 or 13, when I would watch the syndicated runs after The Simpsons on Fox at 7:30. It was a perfect hour of comedy (if one of the newer Simpsons didn't fuck it up). Never caught it during it's original run in the 90's though.

Cromat

Seinfeld is a timeless monument to modern culture. Believing anything less would be...uncivilized.

Seriously, I really do believe the show is timeless. Technology changes and some scenarios are now outdated because of it, but the show's incredibly revealing exposes on social tension and awkwardness remain unparalleled in a "pop" sitcom. There is a Seinfeld for every situation.

God bless this show. For the record, I am 23.

I agree with everything, including the "I am 23" part.
Seinfeld is the probably the best TV show ever created.

I've always felt a bit sorry for Jason Alexander. He's never going to be able to escape George Costanza which doesn't seem fair considering George is actually Larry David.

He's actually very cool about it. I think he sorta knew that after Seinfeld shut down, he was probably never going to get another gig like that. Not many iconic roles for short bald guys in the entertainment industry.

He's a decent poker player as well.

RC

Banned
I have an unpoplular opinion sure to get a response!

And 10 pages of back and forth yadda, yadda, yadda.

I don't know. I watched the pilot for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia yesterday and I have a hard time believing Seinfeld is worse than that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
There's a time in your life when you need to look in the mirror and say, "I have shitty tastes and my opinions suck", Korrey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom