• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sen. Lindsey Graham: Trump Says War With North Korea an Option

Fisty

The last thing we need is a war with NK, but that government needs to be replaced. The extreme poverty, huge military and ridiculous leadership make a bad stew. I think something similar to that James Franco movie would be just fine.

I am way more frightened of the US having nuclear weapons that could strike North Korea than I am of North Korea having nuclear weapons that could strike the US. Donald Trump makes Kim Jong Un look like fucking Pope Francis. I do agree that that the global community needs to do something to remove that autocratic dictator from power for the well being of his own country's citizens and the entire planet, but I also think that something needs to be done about North Korea as well. Hopefully this can be resolved peacefully, but with Drumph at the wheel, I highly doubt it.

Kasumin

The lack of regard in this thread for the danger attacking North Korea would present to South Korea disturbs me. That's what I think of first. A lot of the discussion of how much of a threat NK presents to the US seems to be ignoring that South Korea has been dealing with this problem for over half a century. Not to mention the implications it has for a response from China.

If Cheetolini getting elected leads to the devastation of Seoul, I might just give up my worldly possessions and become a nun.

Americans who voted for 45 really did abandon any notions of responsibility in the larger world last election and it just breaks my heart.

Edit: I'm not condemning anyone in this thread specifically. I just want to make it clear that South Koreans would be the first to deal with the dire consequences of attacking North Korea, and I think that's a very important concern.

Edit: I'm not condemning anyone in this thread specifically. I just want to make it clear that South Koreans would be the first to deal with the dire consequences of attacking North Korea, and I think that's a very important concern.

They'd be the second.

The first would be the North Korean citizens, who already have waaaay too big a shitpile on their platter.

CazTGG

Reunification of Korea will die along with millions of South Koreans and Japanese (both Japan and Soutth Korea are U.S. allies directly within striking distance of North Korea's nuclear arms) should the United States go to war. Trump has no idea what he's doing if he's weighing in on a direct attack...especially if he reveals where the U.S.' nuclear subs are. Again.

Mully

The amount of destruction South Korea and Japan would see would be incalculable. War is not a option for our allies.

NJSlay

Banned
I am way more frightened of the US having nuclear weapons that could strike North Korea than I am of North Korea having nuclear weapons that could strike the US. Donald Trump makes Kim Jong Un look like fucking Pope Francis. I do agree that that the global community needs to do something to remove that autocratic dictator from power for the well being of his own country's citizens and the entire planet, but I also think that something needs to be done about North Korea as well. Hopefully this can be resolved peacefully, but with Drumph at the wheel, I highly doubt it.

Yeah, remember that time Donald Trump had his uncle fed to wild dogs and his half brother murdered with VX nerve gas? Then there's that whole starving and brainwashing his people thing.

Lil Kim is a saint compared to the shit Trump has done...such as?

The lack of regard in this thread for the danger attacking North Korea would present to South Korea disturbs me. That's what I think of first. A lot of the discussion of how much of a threat NK presents to the US seems to be ignoring that South Korea has been dealing with this problem for over half a century. Not to mention the implications it has for a response from China.

If Cheetolini getting elected leads to the devastation of Seoul, I might just give up my worldly possessions and become a nun.

Americans who voted for 45 really did abandon any notions of responsibility in the larger world last election and it just breaks my heart.

This is what I fear most as well. I've been feeling like I really need to visit Seoul (and Tokyo for similar reasons) before shit possibly goes down and these rising tensions are making it feel like a panic. I wouldn't be as worried if we didn't have literally the worst possible person dealing with this in The White House. I think a lot of it would continue to be Kim Jong Un posturing (which the world could deal with) but the only world leader more prone to posturing than Un is Trump. He'd love the opportunity to wage scorched-earth war the likes of which the world has never seen.

In fact... if Trump isn't removed from office, I'm 99.9% it will happen within the next three years. And the world will never, ever, ever be the same.

Nydius

]I've been feeling like I really need to visit Seoul (and Tokyo for similar reasons) before shit possibly goes down and these rising tensions are making it feel like a panic.[/B] I wouldn't be as worried if we didn't have literally the worst possible person dealing with this in The White House.

Maybe I'm being too alarmist but if things keep going the way they are, I'm really concerned about the safety of everyone involved at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games this upcoming February. Although I doubt he would ever do anything when the whole international community is there, it will be a massive stage for Kim Jong Un to play his saber rattling games.

I'm really concerned that these upcoming Winter Olympics are going to be a political shit show (beyond the typical IOC financial and corruption shitshow they normally are).

SomTervo

Yep. Says it right in the OP.

The US sparking an international conflict with NK would mean millions from SK and CH with their heads to the blade.

5taquitos

"There is a military option to destroy North Korea's program and North Korea itself," he added.

Judging by that quote, Graham just wants to drop preemptive nukes all over the peninsula?

That's surely a flawless plan that will have absolutely no repercussions.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am way more frightened of the US having nuclear weapons that could strike North Korea than I am of North Korea having nuclear weapons that could strike the US. Donald Trump makes Kim Jong Un look like fucking Pope Francis.

Kim Jong Un had 340 people executed during his first 5 years, and usually not using the nicest methods. I don't see Trump executing someone by blasting them to bits with an anti-aircraft gun for dozing off during a meeting.

Anyway, moving on from that post...

I don't think it is bad that military force is an option. I'd rather us do something before they have a nuke pointed at every major US city. NK is too unstable to trust them not to pull the trigger someday. But military force should be the last option because it isn't going to end well.

World: "do noting America"

N.Korea attacks

World: " why didn't you do anything America?!?"

Or

America: "we are invading"

World: "wtf is wrong with you America"

Not that I want war but: Is this issue truly going to be solved with diplomacy? Because from where I sit, it doesn't look like that's going to be the case. North Korea has been a major diplomatic focus since the end of the Cold War and very little has changed. Clinton's carrot-on-a-stick diplomacy had no effect when it was the Kim Jong Il regime (they'd say one thing while doing another), Bush's cowboy diplomacy reignited tensions, and Obama's return to Clinton-era diplomatic standards had even less effect than when Clinton tried them 15 years prior (largely due to Kim Jong Un's ascension to power). Now we have a buffoon in power who doesn't even understand the word diplomacy and who makes Bush's "axis of evil" diplomacy look measured and intelligent by comparison.

China is the only country with any real leverage against North Korea and they're not doing much to diffuse the situation because they don't want to provoke Kim Jong Un into going completely rogue in the region AND they're too dependent on North Korea's coal and land area as a buffer between themselves and a US ally. In addition, China also sees the United States' influence as a world power waning as their own influence rises so they have less incentive to aid the United States in maintaining old world spheres of influence.

Three-plus decades of UN sanctions, US sanctions, and all manner of diplomacy and here we sit with North Korea testing ICBMs no one thought they would have for years and a nuclear program they openly admit to having.

E:

China and Russia as permanent members of the UN Security Council means the UN will never approve a military action, no matter how ridiculous Kim Jong Un becomes.

If you read my post

My biggest worry is some small issue gets perceived by Kim to be an assault on the regime.

In that case his best option is to use his whole arsenal because otherwise its gone. North Korea isn't really MAD in the same way it was and is with Russia.

But this issue is solved with diplomacy, not saber rattling which increases the chances he incorrectly perceives a US action as aggression

The problem is miscalculation that leads to war. That is solved by diplomacy and moving more towards more normalized relationship and some formal end to the Korean War.

There's no solving the fact that NK will have ICBMs with nuclear capabilities. That's already decided. This idea of a denuclearized peninsula is dangerously impossible. They're not giving up their nukes. The line the "us will not accept a nuclear armed North Korea" is laughable. Unless we want to see nuclear war we have to.

reckless

The problem is miscalculation that leads to war. That is solved by diplomacy and moving more towards more normalized relationship and some formal end to the Korean War.

There's no solving the fact that NK will have ICBMs with nuclear capabilities. That's already decided. This idea of a denuclearized peninsula is dangerously impossible. They're not giving up their nukes. The line the "us will not accept a nuclear armed North Korea" is laughable. Unless we want to see nuclear war we have to.
We tried normalizing relations all the way back in 1994 for the U.S with the Agreed Framework and in 1998 with the Sunshine policy for SK. Both failed, in 2003 for the agreed frame work and 2008 or 2010 for the sunshine policy.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You think NK is going to launch preemptive attacks on there, with the US commitment to defend those two countries?

Not especially, though it would be possible now. My concern is over the long-term. It is only a matter of time before NK has the capabilities to attack the US. This is why I don't think sitting around waiting is a good option either.

China wants no part of that. They'd be content with pushing them south and taking S. Korean economy with them.

Speaking of China it's foolish to think they would idly sit by. They spilled a lot of blood to keep the US away from their border, they would do it again if pushed.

Doubt it. They had their chance to work something out. They didn't.

ZOONAMI

What people don't seem to be thinking about in here is that if the US "preemptively" attacks NK in the region, it might give China license to move into Taiwan, and then you actually might have a pacific theater wwiii all over again. If the US is going to kill potentially hundreds of thousands of people China will consider doing the same to take Taiwan.

Beyond that if the US attacks and NK is able to get even one Nuke off, it goes down the the greatest foreign policy mistake ever made, with potentially millions of lives in the balance. Even if they can successfully artillery shell Seoul for even just minutes hundreds of thousands would die. There is no good option other than continuing sanctions. You could try an assassination but you can't be sure some of Kim's generals aren't as crazy, or even crazier than he is.

Judging by that quote, Graham just wants to drop preemptive nukes all over the peninsula?

That's surely a flawless plan that will have absolutely no repercussions.
He said that there was a military option. He never said there was a good, or smart, or not fuckstupid military option.

All the options are bad... seems like North Korea got the upper hand which really scares the hell out of me.

NK has exactly the same hand it has had for more than five decades: the one where all they can get from it is the privilege of their continued existence. Abso-fucking-lutely nothing else.

I don't think it is bad that military force is an option. I'd rather us do something before they have a nuke pointed at every major US city. NK is too unstable to trust them not to pull the trigger someday. But military force should be the last option because it isn't going to end well.

you reaaaally don't wanna go with instability wrt NK. The place is stable as fuck. Has been for longer than we've been alive. Is the one thing they're good at. *solely as far as stability is concerned* one can easily argue that they're more stable than giving the world's largest nuclear arsenal to whatever batshit insane individual wins a popularity contest.

Iolo

We tried normalizing relations all the way back in 1994 for the U.S with the Agreed Framework and in 1998 with the Sunshine policy for SK. Both failed, in 2003 for the agreed frame work and 2008 or 2010 for the sunshine policy.

Bush pulled out of the Agreed Framework due to hardliners in his administration. Just like Trump is going to pull out of the Iran deal and cause Iran to get nukes and ICBMs. In 2030 we will be complaining about the dastardly Iranians and the failed JCPOA.

Nydius

If you read my post
*snip*

I did read your post. And nothing you've written since disputes anything I brought up. Thirty years of diplomacy hasn't prevented them from becoming a nuclear state or prevented them from developing ICBMs.

You think diplomacy would work if Kim Jong Un goes full batshit and takes a minor slight and blows it out of proportion?

reckless

Bush pulled out of the Agreed Framework due to hardliners in his administration. Just like Trump is going to pull out of the Iran deal and cause Iran to get nukes and ICBMs. In 2030 we will be complaining about the dastardly Iranians and the failed JCPOA.

North Korea wasn't innocent in the agreement falling apart, and the sunshine policy failing with South Korea can be blamed mostly on North Korea.

I did read your post. And nothing you've written since disputes anything I brought up. Thirty years of diplomacy hasn't prevented them from becoming a nuclear state or prevented them from developing ICBMs.

You think diplomacy would work if Kim Jong Un goes full batshit and takes a minor slight and blows it out of proportion?

Hypotheticals are meaningless. As far as he has shown, KJU is quite a bit more sane than his father. Can that change one day? Sure. The same way India can someday elect a batshit cray person that will nuke pakistan over a minor slight, or vice versa. The same way France could've gone batshit and elected Le Pen. The same way the largest nuclear arsenal in the world could end up in the hands of a man that ran for president out of spite. The same way the second largest nuclear arsenal in the globe might very well be under the control of a mobster.

Given that KJU has never shown suicidal tendencies, however, going to quite some fucking lengths to make sure that his odds of drawing breath remain good, there is currently no reason to think that he'll go cray.

Maybe South Korea should kick the US out. The US is risking millions of lives in South Korea right now.

Tbf, if China weren't, yknow, China, i'd go out on a leg and say that they'd be better off replacing US military bases with Chinese ones.

TarNaru33

Banned

This is incorrect because as far as U.S knows they have not miniaturized their nukes enough to fit on a warhead and it isn't easy to do so, but as time goes on they learn how. Also range of an ICBM does not equal accuracy.

That statement you called laughable is a very real threat U.S could pull off. It is also not impossible, but it is dangerous. The only chance for a nuclear war would be the China issue as Russia really wouldn't be able to do anything there. As a person who really thinks war is the last option, if I was President I would be very tempted as I too also view a nuclear armed North Korea (same with Iran or any other country that attempts to) is not acceptable and military action should be used if all other options are exhausted.

Top Bottom