• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September Wrasslin |OT| Team WWF vs. The World

tm24

Instead of trudging through Raw, you guys should instead watch this carefully curated selection of lucha libre presented by me, tm24, for all your viewing pleasure. Here you'll find the best lucha libre has to offer from its past, recent past and from now featuring the best of lucha libre

QUICK NOTES ABOUT LUCHA
-Matches are 2/3 falls
-In tag matches, both members must be pinned for a fall to be won. In trios, there's a captain who if pinned, counts as a fall. The other two can be pinned to win a fall also. Tags are also done elimanation style, so there's a lot of dual pins in lucha. Tags dont have to be tags, anytime a wrestler rolls out his partner can come in.
-El Martinete (a pildriver) is the most illegal move in pro wrestling and usually results in a wrestler being dead.
-Removing the mask entirely is a DQ. you will see a lot of ripping of the mask though
-Lucha matches generally are paced differently from WWE matches, usually to set up a sequence of spots such as the amazing dives

THE CLASSICS
Santo, Octagon & Rey Misterio Jr vs Blue Panther, Fuerza Guerrera & Psicosis
A great trios match to start the showcase off. The match tends to revolve around certain pairings and just clicks with everyone getting their moves in. One of the best trio matches of the 90s

Rey Misterio Jr vs Hijo Del Santo
A classic between a young flier and the legend. Great matwork and high flying allround by both men

Rey Misterio jr vs Juventud Guerrera 6/16/95
Hey, remember that ECW match? This is basically that, but better

Rey Misterio Jr vs Juventud Guerrera 4/21/95
Hey, remember that last match? This is basically that, but better. Considered the best of the Rey/Juvi matches. Seriously, i don't know what was in the water in Tijuana, but it somehow gave us 3 of the best high flying luchadores ever

El Hijo Del Santo vs Psicosis
The other great luchadore from Tijuana is Psicosis, and here he defends his belt against the icon in a great long match. Watch Psicosis do nutty dives galore while the master tries to slow the young gun down before responding with his own bombs in the air

Rey Misterio jr vs Psicosis
Fun fact, Rey and El Hijo del Santo basically dominate any and all great lucha match lists. This is probably one of the best matches of any of the cruisers and this has it all

El Dandy vs Negro Casas vs El Hijo del Santo Mask vs Hair vs Hair
Some background to this match. Hijo del Santo is the biggest babyface this side of his dad, who is still the biggest babyface in the world. So after leaving CMLL for AAA, Santo decides to rekindle his decade long feud with Negro Casas as a rudo since Casas was now a technico, The set-up was a trios match with Negro Casas, El Dandy and Héctor Garza as technicos against Felino, Scorpio, Jr. and Bestia Salvaje (The last two being Casas fomer partners) as the rudos. Felino is Casas' brother and when he came to the ring, he stopped and just watched as all hell broke lose. The fans were expecting Felino to help his brother but Felino took off his cape and mask, revealing himself to be El Hijo del Santo in disguise and then shit hit the fan. Riots broke out, fists were thrown in the crowd and kids cried. This is the aftermath of the turn and a total brawl follows.

Hijo Del Santo vs Negro Casas Mask vs Hair
After failing to get the result in the last match, the two winners from the last match go at it in a straight up brawl. No fancy lucha moves here, this is the culmination of decades of hate.

El Hijo Del Santo & Octagón VS. Eddie Guerrero & Love Machine Art Barr Double Mask vs Hair
Easily the most famous lucha match of all time. The feud was between Hijo Del Santo and Eddy, whose fathers teamed up as La Pareja Atómica (The Atomic pair). Eddy felt that Santo used his dad and Gory didn't get his due because of it which the feud is the basis of. Eddie wanted to restore his family's honor by taking Santo's mask This match became a tag match at the last minute due to Art Barr pleading to get on the show and the match is better cuz of it. Art Barr was the best heel in Mexico and is one of the biggest heat magnets ever. Truly a shame the man died 2 weeks after this. Seriously, just watch. Pure greatness.

Torneo Cibernetico - 4/18/97
The torneo CIbernatico! Luchadores galore! This is basically 40 minutes of amazing lucha. A cibernetico works in that there's a large amount of wrestlers on each side, and they take turns cycling as tags happen either naturally or by leaving the ring. Featuring basically every great heavyweight of lucha of the 90s. Tons of matchwork, flying and just crazy spots. COnsidered by many to be the best lucha match of the 90s

THE RECENT PAST!
Mistico vs Averno 1/30/05
Mistico! Before he was Sin Cara, he was Mistico, the brightest star mexico had seen in years. Here, he starts his rivalry with Averno that would span 10 matches. Watch him as he grows to be the legend of Mexico

Mistico vs Ultimo Guerrero
On the heels of his amazing match with Averno, Mistico takes on the leader of Los Guerreros, Ultimo Guerrero in another classic

Mistico Vs Black Warrior Mask vs Mask
Once tag team champs until an inadvertent collision from Mistico caused Black Warrior to be pinned , Mistico and Black Warrior's feud started over a belt until it escalated into this Mascara contra Mascara match. One of the best matches of 2006

Mistico vs Averno 1/5/07
After taking the mask of Black Warrior, Mistico returns to his greatest rival in another classic match with Averno

Mistico vs Dr Wagner Jr
yeah, Mistico was involved in a lot of great matches. Though his opponents were pretty good themselves. Here he takes on Dr Wagner Jr in of the best matches of 2007

Mistico vs Averno Fantasticamania 2011
The last Mistico vs Averno match takes place in Japan and its just as good as every match

RECENT
La Sombra vs Volador Jr
Two of the best high fliers in Mexico go at it

Averno vs La Mascara Mask vs Mask
Averno once again has issues with a great high flier. This time is escalates into a Mask vs Mask match

Averno vs La Sombra
What started the current hottest feud in Mexico. Averno for like the 5th time has issues with other high fliers

Another La Sombra vs Averno match
Probably the best match of 2012. Just great high flying all around. Averno really is the best rudo on the planet right now

Máscara Dorada vs Mephisto
La Máscara vs Volador Jr.
Guerrero Maya Jr. vs Virus
More high flying action!

And bonus minis matches!
Mascarita Dorada vs. Pierrothito
Pequeno Reyes del Aires 2012
A cibernetico involving minis!

WHERE TO WATCH AND FOLLOW

There’s two great uploaders on youtube. WarriorsX2000 uploads the weekly shows from CMLL, AAA and IWRG. The Cubsfan runs not only one of the best lucha sites, but also uploads a lot of the same material but seperates them into the matches. And then there's my channel, which is gonna be full of stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/WarriorsX2000
http://www.youtube.com/user/thecubsfan
http://www.youtube.com/user/tm24

As for sites, my 2 favs are http://www.luchaworld.com/ and the aforementioned TheCubsFan blog at http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
THE RECENT PAST!
Mistico vs Averno 1/30/05
Mistico! Before he was Sin Cara, he was Mistico, the brightest star mexico had seen in years. Here, he starts his rivalry with Averno that would span 10 matches. Watch him as he grows to be the legend of Mexico

Mistico vs Ultimo Guerrero
On the heels of his amazing match with Averno, Mistico takes on the leader of Los Guerreros, Ultimo Guerrero in another classic

Mistico Vs Black Warrior Mask vs Mask
Once tag team champs until an inadvertent collision from Mistico caused Black Warrior to be pinned , Mistico and Black Warrior's feud started over a belt until it escalated into this Mascara contra Mascara match. One of the best matches of 2006

Mistico vs Averno 1/5/07
After taking the mask of Black Warrior, Mistico returns to his greatest rival in another classic match with Averno

Mistico vs Dr Wagner Jr
yeah, Mistico was involved in a lot of great matches. Though his opponents were pretty good themselves. Here he takes on Dr Wagner Jr in of the best matches of 2007

Mistico vs Averno Fantasticamania 2011
The last Mistico vs Averno match takes place in Japan and its just as good as every match
where are the botches????

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ tm! That is some thorough compiling! And you have my FAVORITE, PSICOSIS!!!!

Can't cheer you on enough! I love lucha rings, so ROOMY!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Sunflower do you have the results of the fave five? Like who else was voted for?

I forgot what I put in.

I do have the entire list, but it's a giant mess. I'll post it up at work tomorrow (that's where I compiled everything)

Kaladin

Speaking of Impact:

- With only two weeks left in the annual "Bound For Glory Series" for a shot at the World Heavyweight Championship, the stakes have never been higher! Thursday's IMPACT WRESTLING broadcast will feature THREE huge BFG Series bouts as "The Charismatic Enigma" Jeff Hardy faces Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle, Rob Van Dam battles "Cowboy" James Storm, and longtime rivals collide as AJ Styles takes on Samoa Joe!

- What is the condition of World Heavyweight Champion Austin Aries after the brutal attack by The Aces & 8s gang this past week? Tune in for an update on the champ! The TNA roster has gone to war against The Aces & 8s...and the IMPACT Zone will be the battlefield this Thursday at 8/7 on SpikeTV!

- Will "TNA Gut Check" prospect Kris Lewie earn a contract and a spot on the TNA roster? The newcomer faces the judges on the broadcast!

All this and much more on Thursday's IMPACT WRESTLING, including news on the upcoming "No Surrender" Pay-Per-View event!

Here's what's going on in my neck of the woods, if you will...

9-16 Anarchy Championship Wrestling (Mohawk, Austin, TX)
The Evolution of the Revolution

Jerry Lynn vs. Robert Evans (AKA R.D. Evans, Archibald Peck, MMArchie, et. al.)
**LONE STAR CLASSIC QUALIFIER**

Jakus Pliskin (HW Champ) vs. Darrin Childs

The Submission Squad (Gary Jay, Evan Gelistico) vs. Kings of the Underground (Scot Summers Ryan Genesis)

Barbi Hayden (American Joshi Champ) vs. Jessica James

Barrett Brown vs. Bolt Brady

The Submission Squad ("The Wrestling Goddess" Athena, Pierre Abernathy) vs. The Children of Pain 2.0 (Sean Vex, Jeff Gant)

Killah Kash vs. Khris Wolfe

+3 more unannounced matches...

Lynn vs. Evans should be all sorts of fun, but Barrett Brown vs. Bolt Brady has "potential show-stealer" written all over it. Barrett Brown is a young guy who, after just two matches, is RED HOT in ACW right now. He and Davy Vega brought the house down at the last show. Bolt Brady is a super-athletic guy who is clocking better and better matches every time I see him.

Pliskin v. Childs will likely not end well, as Darrin Childs allied with the Lost Boys and went after the Kings of the Underground's "Showtime" Scot Summers WITH A SHOOT FREDDIE KRUGER GLOVE and cut his head to ribbons.

The women should be awesome, as always in ACW. Jessica James is turning in the best episodic work I've seen in the indies in ages. Her (three-year-long!) Lady Poison storyline is going strong and is compelling as hell because she's awesome. Since a return match with Rachel Summerlyn is already announced for Oct. I'll expect more fireworks in that angle at this show.

I love me some Killah Kash now after seeing him live a few times. He's a big brawler in the classic Texas mold with a modern twist. Great intensity, brings the drama, and moves well. Wolfe I've only seen in big multi-man matches, but I've heard good things about him as a single.

I think I'm going to this show as my first since I've moved to Austin. Are front row or balcony perch better?

GBONZZZZ

Hypothetical question time!

I was thinking about this on my drive home... If you ever got into a fight, what wrestling moves would you try to do? I'd probably try a spinebuster or a DDT.

G-Fex

I was thinking about this on my drive home... If you ever got into a fight, what wrestling moves would you try to do? I'd probably try a spinebuster or a DDT.

I'd hulk up

and then point

and then throw into the wall let them come back to me, big boot

then leg drop.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

No lie. Back in high school, two friends of mine got into a fight. I kid you not, one of them (huge wrestling mark) tried to put the other in the Stinger Death Lock. He even tried to pose beforehand. He failed, and we all laughed at him.

Ive seen people do the Rock Bottom, body slam, and running big boot in fights

GBONZZZZ

I'd hulk up

and then point

and then throw into the wall let them come back to me, big boot

then leg drop.

I'd love to see somebody's reaction to hulking up. That would be a guaranteed win IMO. The dude you're fighting would be like 'wtf.......'

John Cena 5MODZ = Instant win.

LOL.

No lie. Back in high school, two friends of mine got into a fight. I kid you not, one of them (huge wrestling mark) tried to put the other in the Stinger Death Lock. He even tried to pose beforehand. He failed, and we all laughed at him.

I'd love to try Jericho's Lion Tamer in a fight.

619, well the setup anyway.

The setup as in huracanrana into the ropes? Or the swinging leg kick?

I'd get DQ'd by kicking them in the groin, then I would hit an RKO.

That would TOTALLY work.

Ive seen people do the Rock Bottom, body slam, and running big boot in fights

Big boots would be fucking vicious.

With all these responses, I think we should get into fights tomorrow and test our wrestling skills

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Head bite ala Fishman, or Heart Punch

jmdajr

I DDT'd my cousin once at a burger king playground. It was a loooooooong time ago ok. Hey he derserved it!

This other time a friend put another cousin of mine in the boston crab. Folks.....never do this!

tumblr_m9cf4mntte1qagmleo1_400.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32942558&postcount=9339

i dont see what is so hard about pulling a correct sharpshooter. me and my friends pulled it off. we practiced just in case we were going to use it in a real fight.

btw Rings of Saturn is the most paimful submssion hold

XJcfN.gif

strobogo

Banned
I'm hoping I can break into the HOF this month. I've had one real fight in my life around 14ish. I did exclusively wrestling moves the whole fight. I did a clothesline, a couple of knife edge chops that hurt my hands more than his chest probably, multiple STOs, Rings of Saturn, and a Camel Clutch. I was afraid to punch the kid because I had never punched anyone and I didn't want to punch someone and have him no sell it. So I slapped him full force in the face. He cried. Total squash match. It was awesome.

If I ever get into a fight again, I'm for sure going to try to slap a triangle on.

My older brother would get me in the camel clutch when we were kids and it'd make me need to pee really bad. Now that's the only thing I can think of when somebody is put in it, that they need to pee.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I would love to try doing the gut kick into stunner or a diamond cutter.

Laserfrog

All I ever did was get someone in a headlock and punch them with my other hand, that's a wrestling move right??

I also once crumbled up a biscuit and shot it out of a toy dart gun at my cousin's face and then he cried.

strobogo

Banned
Holy shit, that's creepy as fuck. Who was his promo directed towards? That was as creepy as the crying headbutt gif and the quick shot in his titan tron with him screaming behind a little kid.

When I was working the door at a bar once, (a nice bar too) I german suplexed a crazy wasted guy, who punched the girl who checked IDs and armbanded people, from the doorway out into the street.

Unfortunately, there were two steps up from the street to the doorway that I kinda forgot about, and I almost landed on my head. He kinda did land on his head, and probably got a concussion outta the deal, but recovered fast enough to run off before the real security guys, who were scary as shit, got to him. I was cross training at the time, and had pretty good wrestling and jitz, and the adrenaline was flowing, so I got 180 lbs. of him up and over with relative ease. It actually surprised me how easy it seemed.

The only other time I did anything close to that was when I lived near Fair Park in Dallas, in an area where State Fair attendees would frequently park. There was a big hispanic family in a van and a Suburban just about to pull into two of the private parking spaces behind my building where my studio was. They had everybody there, from little kids to a really old great-grandma with the scooter and everything. I got out of my car, and told them that I was sorry, but they couldn't park there, because those spaces belonged to the business next door and my neighbor would tow them. One of the younger guys, probably about 19, said, "But that guy sold us the spaces!" before turning around and running after this crackhead who just turned and ran.

So I waited until they got everybody back in the car, including poor bisabuela and her scooter, which I felt terrible about, and pulled in to park. Right as I stood to get out of my car, there was the crackhead, in my face, with me wedged between the car door and the car frame. He started to say something about me ruining his scam or something, and I just let him have it with a Bas Rutten style palm strike right to his nose, which broke it immediately. He goes running off, and right before he can round the corner, there's the 19 year-old kid who ran off after him, who immediately tackled the guy and just started blasting the shit out of him. I just walked straight past them both, over to the studio a block down the street where I worked as an assistant, and went back to work, completely shellshocked.

Every other time I've ever been in a physical confrontation I either didn't win or won but still got completely beaten up. No cool moves in any of those incidents.

I don't think a DDT would ever work in a street fight, unless you did some sort of judo foot sweep thing with it. In which case, you'd probably be better off just doing a judo throw, which has the advantage of putting your opponent down, while you are still up.

The main thing is, if you get in a street fight, you don't want to go down to the ground. A DDT guarantees you are going down to the ground. Even if you are great at jiu jitsu, there are too many variables on the street. All you need is for one of his buddies to come by and just soccer kick you in the head. Doesn't take any skill, and it could kill you no matter how good you are.

A spinebuster is just a hard double leg, so that would work, but it's the same problem of being on the ground.

Top Bottom