• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serena Williams reveals baby bump on stunning Vanity Fair cover

Media

If you're allowed to "omg work of art," he should be allowed to "kinda gross tbh." Opinions and such.

I don't understand the fascination personally. Good job procreating?

Lots of reasons, I think, as to why it's offensive to call a black pregnant woman gross. One, a lot of people call black women ugly I'm general, two, it's a natural part of life and most women have to go through pregnancy, and three, when we do we feel like beached whales already why shame us more?

Ovid

If you're allowed to "omg work of art," he should be allowed to "kinda gross tbh." Opinions and such.

I don't understand the fascination personally. Good job procreating?
So you're saying body shaming is okay then? That's what I'm getting from your post.

Hey, whatever happened to her sister? I remember back in the day it was always venus and serena everywhere. Then one day poof! Never heard the name Venus again.

I think she became a Jehova's Witness. Maybe they didn't like her being in the spotlight.

edit: apparently both sisters are Jehova's Witnesses.

what a shame.

Kinda gross tbh
rdGv0kC_d.jpg

Dopus

Banned
I think she became a Jehova's Witness. Maybe they didn't like her being in the spotlight.

what a shame.

Part of the family have always been Jehovah's Witnesses and they were raised as them. Whenever they win they don't fail to mention Jehovah and thank him for it. It has nothing to do with their careers as professional athletes.

Venus Williams has sjögren's syndrome and effectively retired in 2011.

Stencil

Love that photo. And yeah, someone said it already but the symmetry of her body is astounding.

And to those who think it's gross, those are the kind of opinions you should keep to yourself if you're an adult, because it's incredibly childish.

Ambient80

Part of the family have always been Jehovah's Witnesses and they were raised as them. Whenever they win they don't fail to mention Jehovah and thank him for it. It has nothing to do with their careers as professional athletes.

Didn’t the two of them just compete in the Finals of a major tournament recently?

Dopus

Banned
Didn't the two of them just compete in the Finals of a major tournament recently?

Australian Open, yeah. But she's had to withdraw a lot over the last few years because of it. She competed in Wimbledon too last year and got the the semifinal.

Edit: I'm looking at her record and I'm so wrong here. She's been playing quite a bit since her injury and illness, just a little out of the spotlight. Obviously not entering as many tournaments though, but that's to be expected.

Media

I had no idea, that's awful. I have that too along with RA. Sadly that means Serena is going to have a chance to contract it after pregnancy, that can trigger it if you have the gene

Hey, whatever happened to her sister? I remember back in the day it was always venus and serena everywhere. Then one day poof! Never heard the name Venus again.
Bruh, the Australian Open was just 5 months ago...

So did you just stop reading the wiki entry there?

Edit: heh, I see you kept reading ;)

KoopaTheCasual

Australian Open, yeah. But she's had to withdraw a lot over the last few years because of it. She competed in Wimbledon too last year and got the the Semifinal.
Ridiculous.

This is a 37 year old woman with Sjögrens Syndrome. And she still casually comes in and out of retirement to major world tennis titles.

Their family is unfairly gifted at the sport.

Media

Ridiculous.

This is a 37 year old woman with Sjögrens Syndrome. And she still casually comes in and out of retirement to major world tennis titles.

This. I can hardly get out of bed someday and she out there running around a tennis court smashing records and shit. Sjögrens is no joke.

Noirulus

Lots of reasons, I think, as to why it's offensive to call a black pregnant woman gross. One, a lot of people call black women ugly I'm general, two, it's a natural part of life and most women have to go through pregnancy, and three, when we do we feel like beached whales already why shame us more?

Lol? Did he say it was gross because she's a black woman? No. Personally it wouldn't matter who it just looks weird as shit to pose naked with your baby bump.

Dopus

Banned
Ridiculous.

It's quite the feat.

Bruh, the Australian Open was just 5 months ago...

So did you just stop reading the wiki entry there?

Edit: heh, I see you kept reading ;)

Ha. I used to keep us with Tennis quite a bit, but the last few years I've pretty much shut off watching TV and I don't keep up as much as I used to.

Keri

Also her hair looks gorgeous. I mean, all of the pictures are amazing and she looks beautiful all around, but also her hair is gorgeous!

Media

Lol? Did he say it was gross because she's a black woman? No. Personally it wouldn't matter who it just looks weird as shit to pose naked with your baby bump.

I explained why I could be offensive to some people because of reasons. Lots of women celebrate their pregnancies with baby bump pictures, as do they celebrate the birth with pictures. Celebrities just get fancier public ones.

theWB27

what a shame.

Am i missing something on why its a shame to be a witness?

Did you know prince was a witness also?

eosos

Banned
I dunno - I just don't particularly like pictures of nude pregnant women. Feel like that's not a crazy thing. I imagine that the pics are going for the celebration of the human body, life, and all that, but... this just seems excessive.

Edit: and why are y'all assuming that I'd even want to hook up with her? Sheesh

Keri

I dunno - I just don't particularly like pictures of nude pregnant women. Feel like that's not a crazy thing. I imagine that the pics are going for the celebration of the human body, life, and all that, but... this just seems excessive.

LOL. I feel like if you had any idea what it's like to be pregnant and the amount of pain involved, you would not be suggesting that artistic photographs are an "excessive" means of celebrating the process.

Media

LOL. I feel like if you had any idea what it's like to be pregnant and the amount of pain involved, you would not be suggesting that artistic photographs are an "excessive" means of celebrating the process.

Yeah, it is really a huge endeavour. Done it three times. A little celebration to make you feel proud and less like a beached whale is not excessive

Da-Kid

...Ewww....

Can't say I see anything stunning about this, in fact I don't see why some women think photographs like this look good.

Keri

Yeah, it is really a huge endeavour. Done it three times. A little celebration to make you feel proud and less like a beached whale is not excessive

Seriously. I mean, her whole center of gravity has changed and all her organs are being crushed by another person, who is also likely kicking the shit out of her from the inside. But...eh, she wants to take nice pictures? How excessive.

Da-Kid

You're definitely projecting a lot as no one even mentioned, less even said her race played any part in it looking gross. Don't put words in peoples mouths.

Media

...Ewww....

Can't say I see anything stunning about this, in fact I don't see why some women think photographs like this look good.

Seriously. I mean, her whole center of gravity has changed and all her organs are being crushed by another person, who is also likely kicking the shit out of her from the inside. But...eh, she wants to take nice pictures? How excessive.

Also, of course, we only exist to look good, so how dare we show our bodies while building a person.

You're definitely projecting a lot as no one even mentioned, less even said her race played any part in it looking gross. Don't put words in peoples mouths.

I listed reasons why people might be offended at calling her gross. Why are YOU focusing so much in just one them? Are you projecting?

Serena and black women period have a long history of being called gross just because of their darker skin. Don't be aloof.

Da-Kid

Serena and black women period have a long history of being called gross just because of their darker skin. Don't be aloof.
I know about the whole darker uglier shit. I'm just saying, let people have their opinion. In mine, these pictures never look good no matter who. If you like them, that's fine. That's you.

Top Bottom