• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serena Williams reveals baby bump on stunning Vanity Fair cover

It's like they don't get the point that the pictures are literally not for them and their pleasure
They are for mothers celebrating an important moment of their lives.

Again, dudes, every picture of a woman doesn't exist just get your dick up.

Idontbelieveyou.gif

/s

Bold One

tenor.gif

Joni

Hey, whatever happened to her sister? I remember back in the day it was always venus and serena everywhere. Then one day poof! Never heard the name Venus again.
Serena is the technical better player and Venus had a lot of injuries.

Dai101

Banned
It's like they don't get the point that the pictures are literally not for them and their pleasure

So many nights alone with the sears catalogue for naught.....

Deepwater

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrreeee.

Damn, I swear if you don't have a hive mind opinion here you get swarmed.

I just don't like the type of picture. That is all.

if yall want to express your opinions without fear of engagement from other people, get a damn diary.

Media

This thread is going places.

dark%2Band%2Bscary.gif

if yall want to express your opinions without fear of engagement from other people, get a damn diary.

Another thing I don't understand at all. Usually cries of hive mind are given after someone says something a bunch of people don't like, and respond in kind. Do they just want people to agree with them no matter what they say like some sort of...hive mind?

Media

Totally on your side until posts like these. Seems pretty excessive considering they weren't being lewd about the subject matter at all.

I'm sorry I got a bit heated and offended you. I apologize. I just think calling her gross and the posts saying stuff like 'I don't understand why women think this looks good' made me automatically assume they were upset because the picture wasn't sexually attractive to them. I've seen it happen before, so it gets my back up.

Again, I apologize for my crude language regarding the matter.

Totally on your side until posts like these. Seems pretty excessive considering they weren't being lewd about the subject matter at all.
That's kinda the point. The essence of those other posts is "this isn't physically attractive to me and therefore should not exist".

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm sorry I got a bit heated and offended you. I apologize. I just think calling her gross and the posts saying stuff like 'I don't understand why women think this looks good' made me automatically assume they were upset because the picture wasn't sexually attractive to them. I've seen it happen before, so it gets my back up.

Again, I apologize for my crude language regarding the matter.
Nah, I'm not offended but it's never a bad idea to try to deescalate the situation :).

Cilla

Pregnancy is hard. It's awful. If you haven't gone through it you have no idea how physically and emotionally demanding it is. Not only did I have to share my body with my unborn child but people suddenly decided it was fine to not only touch me but comment on my body - how big I was and how my breasts have changed. It hurts. It sucks. You're self conscious and at the end you have to go through something incredibly painful. It is of course worth it.

I just don't see why we need to shame pregnancy. It's natural and in no way is it ugly. It should be celebrated. Your mothers carried you, you might have future partners carry your children and I hope you would have more tact than to tell them that they are unattractive at such a vulnerable time.

Killer fuckin' Queen right there. I hope white racists are pressed as hell. Yes that same black woman who crushes records continues to look like a goddess.

Media

Nah, I'm not offended but it's never a bad idea to try to deescalate the situation :).

I do in general try and deescalate, but when people double down and try to justify or play the victim card I tend to stop trying. Hence, my explanations on why such opinions being expressed being offensive to women at the start of it.

I just wish people would have more empathy and actually listen when women say something instead of trying to justify sexist comments and dismiss us as irrational or overly emotional.

Pregnancy pics aren't for me, but damned if hers didn't come out pretty badass. Takes guts to put yourself out there at a time like this. Warrior queen~

Kayant

At first I was going to say "Man I have never understood the desire for pregnancy photos" then I read this thread.

Women really have it tough and it's a real shame the way society still treats you at large with things like inequality.

That symmetry though. Whew!

Fonds

We, as human-kind, have been honoring and praising Pregnancy literally since the stone-ages.
I'm seeing my wife go through pregnancy at this very moment, and I might not have understood so before, but it's a powerful event for the both of us.

If you can't wrap your head around someone celebrating a moment like this in whatever fashion they choose, you are less developed than a Neanderthal.

Alienfan

I think throwing around words like "sexy" is a bit strange lol, there's nothing sexy about pregnancy. It's a terrifying, gross and at times, beautiful, process. Serena looks like a badass in these photos

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I support human cloning so women never have to go through this ever again.

tbm24

Okay how do you look like that and not have stretch marks HOW

Or they were photoshopped but still HOW
Possibly photoshop. I don't know how far along she is but my wife didn't get her stretch marks until the last few weeks and only because my daughter start kicking in one side a lot. 8 months no marks and her bump was big.

After seeing what my wife went through for 9 months I can't wrap my head around why society is so cruel to women. They should be celebrated, mothers or not.
I think throwing around words like "sexy" is a bit strange lol, there's nothing sexy about pregnancy. It's a terrifying, gross and at times, beautiful, process. Serena looks like a badass in these photos
LOL. It can be sexy. My wife gets dumb thick and her butt gets twice as big at the least. :-( thinking about it has me all worked up now.

Donos

If you oil up the body from the beginning of the pregnancy, you can greatly reduce strechmarks (still everybody is different/has different skin/genes, see H.Protagonist below). GF managed that too although i didn't belive it would make a difference at the beginning of the pregnancy.

I didn't get any stretch marks with my daughter. Didn't use oils or anything either. Maybe it helps to have been been bigger earlier on in life and then lose weight? Pre-stretching or something?
:D

jph139

I mean, this is literally an advertisement. Vanity Fair purchased these pictures in order to put them on the cover and sell magazines to people. These are absolutely meant for public purchase, consumption, and discussion.

If this was a private photo album or something, sure, shut your mouth and be polite.

Personally I think they look kind of cliche, but that's not really the point.

Media

I mean, this is literally an advertisement. Vanity Fair purchased these pictures in order to put them on the cover and sell magazines to people. These are absolutely meant for public purchase, consumption, and discussion.

If this was a private photo album or something, sure, shut your mouth and be polite.

Personally I think they look kind of cliche, but that's not really the point.

Yeah, but the message here isn't the same as the message of say, a playboy cover, you know? It's more empowerment

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Lewdness has nothing to do with anything. If someone wrote "this is gross" about a pregnant woman celebrating her motherhood, they are a childish little prick, period.

Oppo

oh a purely photographic level, I find the beach shots a lot more interesting. the cover shot is pretty rote tbh. as mentioned, it's the Demi Moore shot. which is really the "pregnant woman in profile cradling herself" shot and used all the time.

on a social level I think it's great, of course. the confidence, you have to love it.

VSanMxh_d.jpg

The school playground most likely.

That's the actor Jeffrey Jones, the dad out of beetlejuice isn't it? There's something kind of grim about using a meme featuring a multiple-time convicted peadophile in a thread about a pregnant lady. Or any thread for that matter.

Preacher

If you're allowed to "omg work of art," he should be allowed to "kinda gross tbh." Opinions and such.

I don't understand the fascination personally. Good job procreating?
Exactly. I think people are under the impression that it makes them mature or something.
Lol like the majority of any bodily process is gross and pregnancy is one of then.

A lot of necessary shit in life is what normally by definition gross

If this was someone else who wasn't pregnant and had a distended belly they'd be posting on a forum on how to cure it.

And I don't even care seeing as I just read an entire chapter on embryoGenesis but you have to be either an annoying fuck or a pseudo intellectual to complain about comments like that.

Top Bottom