• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor deserves more attention. Come in and be hyped with me.

There's more than enough Monolith can do to expand the franchise without going into a different epoch. I pitched a Shadow of Angmar idea upthread but you could also go with Mirkwood/Dol Guldur which will be something audiences are familiar with thanks to The Hobbit movies... or maybe go up against the fallen Corsairs along the coast of Umbar...

The setting is huge and as long as they keep the wraith-powers, the protagonist could be a new 'Grave'Walker' every time.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
That is quite the shame. It would only serve to bring attention to the original work even more and would also give everyone a chance to experience it in different ways. Can't argue with family wishes, but it seems awfully selfish considering how loved the material is.
Indeed. But Christopher has his reasons; primarily his closeness to the material. He has spent his retirement consolidating, editing, adding to and publishing his father's unpublished work. Thus his attachment and concerns are understandable. There is at least some hope that his successor (if not covenanted) may be more sympathetic.

Is anyone else finding it weird that Wargs and Trolls have been replaced with suspiciously similar substitutes?

Its got to be something to do with the rights and estates, why else you change them to non-canon versions of the creatures.

And no, I don't expect them to be in the game and we just haven't seen them.

Is PS4 confirmed 60fps? I would get on my new PC but I'm a trophy nut
1080p and 60fps on PS4 is what they are aiming for and judging by all the live demos done on PS4 it looks like they've hit it. I've watched almost all the live streams and haven't seen anything that would suggest otherwise. Also I assume Xbone runs great but they haven't mentioned it specifically for some reason.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is anyone else finding it weird that Wargs and Trolls have been replaced with suspiciously similar substitutes?

Its got to be something to do with the rights and estates, why else you change them to non-canon versions of the creatures.

And no, I don't expect them to be in the game and we just haven't seen them.
The game and film licenses are seperate entities granted to WB by Middle-earth Enterprises (the owner of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings' I.Ps, purchased previously from UA who originally purchased the rights from J.R.R Tolkien himself). The licences will of course differ considering the two mediums but exclusivity of characters doesn't seem likely.

The Tolkien Estate has no say on such matters. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are beyond their control.

Edmond Dantès;131201387 said:
The game and film licenses are seperate entities granted to WB by Middle-earth Enterprises (the owner of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings' I.Ps, purchased previously from UA who originally purchased the rights from J.R.R Tolkien himself). The licences will of course differ considering the two mediums but exclusivity of characters doesn't seem likely.

The Tolkien Estate has no say on such matters. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are beyond their control.

Does it not strike you as odd? If I'm right there wont be any trolls in the game, but Graugs which were introduced in LOTR online I think.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Clearly i was concerned with actual reviews. And im not sure how you got that conclusion from what i said. Its a pretty simple concept. Negative publicity is thrown out in the friday afternoon news dump. People are busy with other things and not paying attention to the media.

Its not just politicians. Everyone does it from politicians to corporations which is what i said.
Doesn't seem like people about to spend 60 duckets would ignore negative reviews because they came out on Fri.

VanWinkle

Doesn't seem like people about to spend 60 duckets would ignore negative reviews because they came out on Fri.

Yup. You simply can't compare review releases to political PR moves.

Anyway it seems that they're releasing Thursday morning now, so the point is [even more] moot.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Does it not strike you as odd? If I'm right there wont be any trolls in the game, but Graugs which were introduced in LOTR online I think.
It does seems strange that one licence would restrict the other in its usage considering both Monolith and New Line are part of WB. The LEGO LOTR game made use of Wargs and that comes under the banner of the very same game licence.

Monolith have their reasons of course, but prima facie, there doesn't seem to be a legal restriction.

Edmond Dantès;131205458 said:
Monolith have their reasons of course, but prima facie, there doesn't seem to be a legal restriction.

Maybe it's done for lore reasons; wargs are sentient with a language of their own and trolls have their own culture. Instead of 'dumbing down' these two creatures to fit the gameplay needs, Monolith just invented two new creatures that behave in ways that won't upset the loreheads.

Zavist

Anyone playing the final ps4 build, is there tearing or not? Looking at the last twitch demo I see some and I just want to make sure it is not the video encoding. Sadly I am really susceptive to screan tearing. :(

are there any recently gameplay vids that shows off how awesome this game is?

ive only seen a few vids and it looks boring to me but it's been a while and i wanna be hyped for this game.

I'm a Tolkien fan as well and I'm can't for this game, it doesn't have to be 100% lore accurate to be a great Lord of the Rings game, the developers creative freedom trumps lore accuracy to me in this game.

Well not for me... they just stuck on the LotR license to get more sales. Next time they can call it "Grand Theft Wight" or something like that and I will play it. Now I am not touching it at all.

funo

Edmond Dantès;131205458 said:
It does seems strange that one licence would restrict the other in its usage considering both Monolith and New Line are part of WB. The LEGO LOTR game made use of Wargs and that comes under the banner of the very same game licence.

I cannot get into too much detail about this issue but there seems to be a legal reason for this. As I understood it, there seem to be different rights for the names and the looks/visuals of those creatures and they are not allowed to use both of those at the same time. Basically, they cannot call them wargs and trolls if they look like the ones from the movies.

Raptor

To be honest the aspect that I can't wait to try is the combat, if there is indeed like Arkham games but with gore and dismemberment I will absolulty love it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I cannot get into too much detail about this issue but there seems to be a legal reason for this. As I understood it, there seem to be different rights for the names and the looks/visuals of those creatures and they are not allowed to use both of those at the same time. Basically, they cannot call them wargs and trolls if they look like the ones from the movies.
That is very interesting. It seems to imply the following; if Monolith were producing an official tie-in of The Hobbit trilogy there would be no restriction on character nomenclature usage, but because Shadow of Mordor is unrelated to the films (which seemingly take precedence) certain aspects of the intellectual property are therefore off limits.

If so, that may interfere somewhat with future sequels.

1080p and 60fps on PS4 is what they are aiming for and judging by all the live demos done on PS4 it looks like they've hit it. I've watched almost all the live streams and haven't seen anything that would suggest otherwise. Also I assume Xbone runs great but they haven't mentioned it specifically for some reason.

they might have a marketing deal with Sony.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
they might have a marketing deal with Sony.
They do, but so did Destiny and they were open about those kind of questions when asked.

Just wait until the 25th and check whether or not some publication got the Xbone version or wait until the Digital Foundry Face-Off that will probably come around (or on) release day. (They had plenty of time to prepare the PS4 part in advance.)

To be honest the aspect that I can't wait to try is the combat, if there is indeed like Arkham games but with gore and dismemberment I will absolulty love it.
Pop pop
iOeiiEfDSN2uC.gif

That is quite the shame. It would only serve to bring attention to the original work even more and would also give everyone a chance to experience it in different ways. Can't argue with family wishes, but it seems awfully selfish considering how loved the material is.

I'd like to see more LotR games and stuff too, but when a big franchise is a success companies begin to have difficulty discerning "what is good for the franchise" versus "what is good for the pocketbook." So while it's a bit of a bummer, I think the mystique and reverence people have for LotR would be shaken if it were mindlesssly taken and manipulated by companies. Especially when considering original stories set in the universe.

Yeah, I know, it could be set in a separate canon universe or something, but misuse and neglect would ultimately dilute the whole property. LotR seems special to me, like something that should be preserved - it's a a valuable antique, not a cheap toy.

GMG 25% off code, brings it down to $37.50.

SEPTEM-BEROFF-ER25XX

Fantastic, thank you.
What a Jiraculous find.

Any idea when it expires?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Out a week on Friday here in the UK, if FIFA wasn't out (Getting it tomorrow off US store) I'd get this from the US store too to play it earlier, but I can wait the extra 3 days. Hyped as hell for it though, hope Mordor is interesting to explore, thats my big worry.

Jira

I'd like to see more LotR games and stuff too, but when a big franchise is a success companies begin to have difficulty discerning "what is good for the franchise" versus "what is good for the pocketbook." So while it's a bit of a bummer, I think the mystique and reverence people have for LotR would be shaken if it were mindlesssly taken and manipulated by companies. Especially when considering original stories set in the universe.

Yeah, I know, it could be set in a separate canon universe or something, but misuse and neglect would ultimately dilute the whole property. LotR seems special to me, like something that should be preserved - it's a a valuable antique, not a cheap toy.

Fantastic, thank you.
What a Jiraculous find.

Any idea when it expires?

Don't miss it, you can use it as many times as you want until 4pm UTC on Friday 26th September.

I am not into LOTR or its lore at all but I have seen previews for this game and am very intrigued. Primarily bc of its combat and the Nemesis system. If I want to play something in between or after Destiny, this is on the short list. Nice thread btw!

GMG 25% off code, brings it down to $37.50.

SEPTEM-BEROFF-ER25XX

Thanks for this, I decided to get it. I was following this game for a bit, reading this thread made me purchase it. Getting a little bored of destiny now, so I'll start playing this when it comes out.

Yoday

There is probably a big difference in resolution between the two versions, and if they aren't under a lot of pressure to disclose the resolution on XB1, then why would they bring it up or even comment on it?

VanWinkle

Tonight's the last night of my humble thread before Levyne's OT goes up for this awesome looking game. I'm surprised and elated the thread got this big. It may not be huge, but it certainly got the game some attention, which is what I set out to do!

Thanks for joining in the hype, everyone, and I'll join you all in the OT!

iIb50v3LG5tYG.gif

Top Bottom