• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor deserves more attention. Come in and be hyped with me.

rybrad

Wow OT time already, one more week until the crazy release schedule starts, glad Shadow of Mordor is kicking things off. Watched some more of the dev interview videos and Michael de Plater continues to be awesome. The Monolith studio head really rubs me the wrong way though so I am glad he isn't in many of videos or streams.

Drewfonse

No offense to the hardcore Tolkien fans, but I'm glad that I'm a mild enough enthusiast of the books/movies that I don't give a shit about potential inconsistencies in the game's lore. The game looks great, and very well may turn out to be an honorable representation.

Can't wait.

Averon

This looks like pretty decent game to tie me over until Bloodborne. If it's on sale during Black Friday/Cyber Monday, I may pick it up.

Yoday

Tonight's the last night of my humble thread before Levyne's OT goes up for this awesome looking game. I'm surprised and elated the thread got this big. It may not be huge, but it certainly got the game some attention, which is what I set out to do!

Thanks for joining in the hype, everyone, and I'll join you all in the OT!

iIb50v3LG5tYG.gif
You did well. I get the impression that this thread sold a lot of people on the game, especially in the last few days.

desertdroog

I am glad that despite reading about other aspects of the game, like the story missions, all I know about this game is the Nemesis system regarding the 5 captains to get on your side.

I'm going into this game as much in the dark as I can be based on the above. I hope it is as much of a hit as I suspect it will be.

VanWinkle

Thanks guys! Can't wait to continue the convo in the OT.

I am glad that despite reading about other aspects of the game, like the story missions, all I know about this game is the Nemesis system regarding the 5 captains to get on your side.

I'm going into this game as much in the dark as I can be based on the above. I hope it is as much of a hit as I suspect it will be.

It's actually really cool because most of us haven't seen the vast, vast majority of the game. I mean, we've only just recently seen ONE story mission from early in the game. And almost every other bit of the game we've seen is a bunch of gameplay from the Nemesis mission to dominate 5 warchiefs.

There's a lot I haven't seen, and I've watched every bit of gameplay in the game, so I'm just as excited to get into everything!

Oh jeez, this game looks like it's about to bomb sales wise. It looks like it has a pretty high budget, ugh this game bombing would be bad, it's a new IP and so they will change their stance on new IPs. Honestly if the reviews are good and they release the reviews a few days before release so I can pre order would be great.

VanWinkle

Oh jeez, this game looks like it's about to bomb sales wise. It looks like it has a pretty high budget, ugh this game bombing would be bad, it's a new IP and so they will change their stance on new IPs. Honestly if the reviews are good and they release the reviews a few days before release so I can pre order would be great.

Wait, why do you think it's going to bomb? And the game probably has a moderately sized budget, but the studio is not huge and I doubt it matches the budget of a lot of today's AAA games.

Wait, why do you think it's going to bomb? And the game probably has a moderately sized budget, but the studio is not huge and I doubt it matches the budget of a lot of today's AAA games.

Honestly, I haven't seen anyone outside of this topic excited for the game, like the most anitcipated games of 2014 etc. Yeah as the OP, their isn't enough hype and hype does sort of relate to sales. It's got Troy Baker and Nolan North and the features of this game seem insane. I'm talking about the "hunting" system or the bounty list, it seems pretty complex. Also it's Warner Bros, they usually go all out with their games.

VanWinkle

Honestly, I haven't seen anyone outside of this topic excited for the game, like the most anitcipated games of 2014 etc. Yeah as the OP, their isn't enough hype and hype does sort of relate to sales. It's got Troy Baker and Nolan North and the features of this game seem insane. I'm talking about the "hunting" system or the bounty list, it seems pretty complex. Also it's Warner Bros, they usually go all out with their games.

I've seen plenty of people excited lately, and I see people talk about it fairly often at the retail store I work at, too. I doubt it will get massive sales, but I think it should do pretty well.

Levyne

Banned
I hope it doesn't bomb, but what can you do? Support the dev and spread positive impressions if you (general 'you') have them.

Still any word on the PC port? Have copies starting shipping/people started installing? I really want to know how this will run before taking the plunge.

Yoday

I think it will do fine, its been on STEAM's first page of top sellers for almost a week.
A good number of the YouTube gameplay videos also have quite a few views, especially for a game that is getting very little in the way of marketing/hype. On top of that, I feel like this game is going to be pushed by reviews and word of mouth.

Side note: I got to thinking about how awesome an AI system like this could be in a Batman game, and how Arkham Knight was delayed by eight or nine months. Not banking on it, but I could totally see Rocksteady deciding to implement something similar with Monoliths help since they are sister studios, and that would be a pretty good reason for a lengthy delay.

Everytime I wander into a Gamestop, it seems like someone is chatting about it. Pretty confident the general masses are aware.
AND if this does end up being the Arkham Asylum of Lord of the Rings, word of mouth/critics will carry the game and then some.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So I had $50 sitting in my Steam account because I recently had the sudden need to want to pick up borderlands 2 and play with some friends. I then realised how much I disliked the first borderlands, and ended up never using it. Well, I just redeemed it towards a preorder of shadow of mordor, and I want to gift it to someone here (I already have the preordered for PS4). So how do we do this? lol I'd prefer to give it to someone who hasn't preordered the game, but wants to on the PC. Preferably someone maybe on the fence about it.

So I had $50 sitting in my Steam account because I recently had the sudden need to want to pick up borderlands 2 and play with some friends. I then realised how much I disliked the first borderlands, and ended up never using it. Well, I just redeemed it towards a preorder of shadow of mordor, and I want to gift it to someone here (I already have the preordered for PS4). So how do we do this? I'd prefer to give it to someone who hasn't preordered the game, but wants to on the PC. Preferably someone maybe on the fence about it. lol

Pretty pwease?

EDIT: Modbot is your best bet.

GavinUK86

So I had $50 sitting in my Steam account because I recently had the sudden need to want to pick up borderlands 2 and play with some friends. I then realised how much I disliked the first borderlands, and ended up never using it. Well, I just redeemed it towards a preorder of shadow of mordor, and I want to gift it to someone here (I already have the preordered for PS4). So how do we do this? lol I'd prefer to give it to someone who hasn't preordered the game, but wants to on the PC. Preferably someone maybe on the fence about it.

I fit that bill.

Modbot would be fair though I guess.

With Modbot, as said above.

I fit the description so I will probably enter the giveaway if you do it.

VanWinkle

One week and the precious will be ours.

One measly little week. I'm also a brand new homeowner (not of a brand new home, though, lol) which I will have to start working on later this week or early next week so I will have to make a lot of time for Shadow of Mordor, too. Going to be a busy couple of weeks.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'm sorry guys. I messed up with the thread url and was asked by modbot to resubmit. It's been 40 minutes now, and modbot still hasn't replied back.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Been reading around and haven't been able to get this locked down. What kind of RPG elements can we expect? Everyone seems to be calling it a somewhat open world action RPG, but previews read more like a character action adventure game like Assassin's Creed. Will it have experience, leveling, and gear objectives to pursue? Or will upgrades be tied to progress and narrative?

Been reading around and haven't been able to get this locked down. What kind of RPG elements can we expect? Everyone seems to be calling it a somewhat open world action RPG, but previews read more like a character action adventure game like Assassin's Creed. Will it have experience, leveling, and gear objectives to pursue? Or will upgrades be tied to progress and narrative?

I keep seeing the term RPG thrown around in the SoM threads. I don't think this game has any RPG elements, if the term means role-playing-game. You can't shape the character to make it yours, nor you can change the course of the story. There's an upgrade tree (but you'll probably end up exhausting it by the end of the game) and a costume selection. It's batman arkham in middle-earth, pure modern action-adventure. And don't get me wrong: I think I'll love it.

This game is looking pretty good! I'm unsure if I'm going to purchase it day one, but I definitely want to pick it up sometime before the year ends.

Top Bottom