• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero |OT| Proving 0.5 Is Better Than 9

AREnyZV.jpg

Developer: WayForward Technologies
Publisher(s): XSEED Games / Marvelous USA
Release Date(s):
-- December 20th, 2016 (PC/PS4/Vita/XBO/Wii U [Digital])
-- December 27th, 2016 (Wii U [Retail])
-- June 08th, 2017 (Switch [Digital])
-- TBA 2017 (Switch [Retail])
External Links: Official Website / Kickstarter Campaign
Price: $19.99 USD; $26.99 CAD (Digital) / $29.99 USD (Retail)
Platforms: PC, PS4, Switch, Vita, Wii U, Xbox One
ESRB Rating: Teen for Cartoon Violence & Suggestive Themes
Genre: Action Platformer; "Metroidvania"

tQSLJq4.png

After gaining back her half-genie powers during the end of Shantae & The Pirate’s Curse, the titular Shantae is on a new adventure as she helps her Uncle Mimic build a new machine to help keep the city safe...mostly because she's got nothing else to do after getting fired (again) from the town's ungrateful mayor and a new replacement genie is brought in to protect Scuttle Town. Throughout the game's five chapters, she'll uncover a conspiracy surrounding Sequin Land's mermaids, enter a carpet-based race and discover more about the Genie Realm.

Risky Beats Edition & Soundtrack Deats: Courtesy of XSEED Games, all initial retail copies for the PS4, Vita and Wii U will come bundled with a soundtrack CD. It contains a selection of 30 tracks whereas the digital version and 'Music CD Reward' tiers from the Kickstarter campaign will feature exclusive content for backers.

CQXl3sS.png

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is the fourth installment in an action platform series developed by WayForward Technologies. It's a return to the dance-based exploration found in entries prior to Shantae & the Pirate's Curse. Be it through beating a level or uncovering them yourself, you'll assemble an arsenal of dances and abilities that will expand the various paths and items like heart holders to increase health and keys to unlock concept art in a given level. There's a lot of streamlining in comparison to past games, with areas of the map being broken up into levels with the ability to warp back to town at any time. Speaking of previous entries...

vCDpccR.png

Shantae (2002): Although conceptualization of the eponymous character traces back to the mid-1990s between creators Erin Bell and Matt Bozon, it wasn't until the early 2000s that Shantae was summoned into the interactive world with a self-titled release on the Game Boy Color. A mixture of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest by way of the Legend of Zelda franchise, Shantae is often called the GBC's swan song since it arrived about a year after the Game Boy Advance had arrived, a date which was not lost on the developers as they included some new features for those playing the game on Nintendo's newest handheld. Looking back, it's relatively odd when you consider how much more steamline the series will eventually become. With distribution handled by Capcom, the first installment garnered positive reception from both initial and retrospective critics for its solid side-scrolling variety and visual presentation. However, these warm impressions did not translate into notable sales late into the life of the portable system and the property, consequently, went back into the lamp for nearly a decade. It is currently available on the Nintendo 3DS eShop for those of you that aren't made out of money.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge (2010): Kicking off the series as an indie darling, after several scrapped efforts, the first realized sequel, Risky's Revenge, finds Shantae facing off against Risky Boots in a race to uncover three magic seals that could spell danger for the people of Sequin Land. It continued to generate critical praise much like its debut on top of commercial success and it's currently available on the Nintendo 3DS, the Wii U, PC, iOS and the PlayStation 4. As a follow-up to the original, it's far less confusing to navigate through the given areas and the dances are a marked improvement. Still, it doesn't hold a candle to...

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (2014): Considered to be the best entry in the series, Pirate's Curse ditches the dancing in favor of cannons and captain hats. This time around, the eponymous half-genie is forced to work with her former nemesis, Risky Boots, in order to prevent her master from rising from the dead. Changing the game from the slightly tedious transformations to a swashbuckling adventure works surprisingly well thanks to some excellent level design and a boatload of humor to boot. It is currently available on the Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, PC and PlayStation 4.

NvymxAO.png

Metacritic (81; 28 reviews) | OpenCritic (82; 42 reviews) as of 06/10/17

8jpS8uG.png

Is this game a sequel to Shantae & The Pirate's Curse or a reboot?
A: It is indeed a successor to the aforementioned title, albeit it's very loosely connected. The Shantae series has never weighed heavily on continuity between each entry aside from the occasional in-joke, with Half-Genie Hero following this tradition with a couple of references to the events in previous entries (I got fired again?!).

Is this title cross-buy on PSN?
A: No, the Vita and Playstation 4 versions are sold separately.

How does the Vita version fare? I need my Shantae fix on the go, dangit!
A: According to CazTGG's experience, the Vita version runs as smoothly as its console counterparts with a consistent 60 frames-per-second. The only area where any noticeable slowdown occurs is during the Mermaid Falls, but it's perfectly playable.

How long is the game?
A: Half-Genie Hero will take you about the same time to beat as previous Shantae games, meaning somewhere between 6-8 hours on your first playthrough. Ultimately, it depends on how dedicated you are to finding every single heart container and key for concept art. Speaking of...

I can't find ___ in ___level!
A: That's not a question. In any case, many backers have already beaten and/or 100% completed the game so do not hesitate to ask them for help in tracking down any key item(s) you just can't seem to find.

Any details regarding downloadable content?
A: WayForward has announced they're already making progress on a variety of post-release content for 2017. A separate campaign, known as "Risky Mode," will allow players to explore Shantae's arch nemesis as she plunders through Sequin Land. Various sets of costumes are additionally expected although some content will remain exclusive to Kickstarter backers. Bonus chapters that served as stretch goals, "Sequence of Unfortunate Events” and “Fire and Forget,” are already available in the launch version of the game!

Are there any special features for the late Switch port?
A: WayForward has confirmed the port will support the console's HD Rumble feature with 150+ events implemented into the game.

What's with the thread title?
A: Look, stop asking questions and just play the game already!

What was up with Shantae being whiter than the Republican National Convention during the Kickstarter?
A: Right, about that... During the early days of the Kickstarter, there was some concern about Shantae’s character looking far more pale than she had in previous entries, with some assuming Wayforward deliberately whitewashed the character for what would be her console debut. As it turned out, Wayfoward was aware of this since the reason for the change in skin tone was that the team were experimenting with the lighting due to the background and that it wouldn’t be that be how she appeared in the final game. As a result, they quickly changed her skin color to more closely resemble how she looked in the original and Risky’s Revenge, but you can still see the difference in skin tone compared to the final design via images and the trailer for the Kickstarter announcement.

OTp6Fjv.png

Trailers:
Kickstarter 2013 Announcement
E3 2015 Trailer
E3 2016 Trailer
Launch Trailer

Special Thanks:
  • CazTGG - Providing practically everything in this opening post with a majority of the images, links and general text itself!
  • Skeletos311 - Kudos for providing the former opening and bookend imagery prior to their delisting!
  • mreddie - Suggesting the subtitle for the official thread title!
  • draw-till-death - Creator of the closing Giga Mermaid and Shantae fan-art.
  • WayForward Technologies - For continuing to deliver awesome hip-shaking, butt-kicking platforming with the titular character!
  • XSEED Games / Marvelous USA - Knocking out physical copies for those preferring their half-genies in disc form.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
About time the OT was made. I already beat it on PS4 and started it today on Vita.

MrBadger

Damn, I just got the OT title.

I'll definitely play this, I didn't back it but I loved Pirate's Curse and several other WayForward games. That release date is for the UK too, I assume?

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's worth mentioning that the Wii U retail version won't be out until next week. The digital version's out today, same as all the others.

Is Europe getting any or all of the retail versions? I haven't followed up on that.

Parahan

This looks really Charming and on Vita!

Does this franchise have a plot? I own the previous two on steam, Do I need to play those first?

Fuzzy

This looks really Charming and on Vita!

Does this franchise have a plot? I own the previous two on steam, Do I need to play those first?
You can start with this one. You'll miss references but nothing big. You should play the other two you already have though because they're good.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kind of found an "exploit" in that if you go into & exit the art gallery, the jars near it will reappear & give you about 14 rupees or whatever each time.

.........I already upgraded my attack power & speed twice, got all the attract upgrades, nabbed the metronome & my magic & damage cut in half despite not even going to the 2nd level yet.

A worthy title for a game that will keep you happy on Prom Night. Great job OPapa!

All you guys should know the game is super awesome by the way and that Shantae is awesome.

Also Dance Through the Danger is amazing.

latest update

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1768703
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update #97 Dec 20 2016 RET-2-GO!
Shantae’s First HD Adventure!

Today is the day! Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, the game to which you have GRANTED LIFE ITSELF is now LIVE all over the world!! It’s SO AWESOME to see so many people enjoying the game that we made together! Reviews are rolling in, fans are going nuts... people are having a great time with Shantae’s newest outing!

Remember, if you get a chance - please take a moment today and throughout the week to post or retweet videos, fan art, reviews... or make use of the Fan Kit. Anything you can do to help promote the game is greatly appreciated!

Holiday Break is here!

What’s next? Well, to put it bluntly, we’re exhausted. We need to take a break for the holidays. Starting Friday Dec 23rd, we’re going to go dark for a couple of weeks. We will still be working through Backer Support emails, with our only real focus being to get any missing Backer codes sorted out.

If bugs are reported (and with this many platforms and territories, it’s highly probable), they’ll be sent to the development team so that we can get them into our first Game Update.

Game Update:

Speaking of which, we’ve been hard at work on our first Game Update, which will focus on general bug fixes. We’ve been watching Twitch streams and sifting through bug reports, and have fixed many of the problems which were found by Backers and Early Access Backers. Once we’re back from break, we’ll go through bug reports again, make the necessary repairs, and will give you an update... on the Update.

Status of Stretch Goals, DLC, and Rewards!

We’re already working on the DLC, and will have more information for you after break! In case you’re curious, BLUE SHANTAE, TINKERBAT FORM, and various Backer Exclusive features are not included in the launch version. We’ll deliver those separately later!

The chapter-based stretch goals (Sequence of Unfortunate Events” and “Fire and Forget”) are included in the release version of the game!

We’re already working on our digital and physical rewards as well! We’ll have an update for you once we’re into the new year. And remember that as Backers, you won’t have to pay for any DLC (even future paid DLC)! So when you see us announce new content in 2017, remember... it’s coming to you at no cost!

Happy Holidays to all of you!

See you next update!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rlan

Is this a more straightforward romp compared to Pirate's Curse? Admittedly got a bit lost in that one.

Parahan

You can start with this one. You'll miss references but nothing big. You should play the other two you already have though because they're good.

That's good news then , thanks. Platformers are best on handhelds. Will probably play the other two when I get a 3ds.

Fuzzy

Kind of found an "exploit" in that if you go into & exit the art gallery, the jars near it will reappear & give you about 14 rupees or whatever each time.

.........I already upgraded my attack power & speed twice, got all the attract upgrades, nabbed the metronome & my magic & damage cut in half despite not even going to the 2nd level yet.
There's a lot easier way to get gems in the game.
Gemjug Dance + Bath House = as many gems as you want.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's a lot easier way to get gems in the game.
Gemjug Dance + Bath House = as many gems as you want.
HAH, just got it, I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks.

Some decent music in this so far, can't wait to listen to the OST in the car, though just hope my CD player works considering the cold weather makes it so it can't read a CD.

Edit: CRAP, I didn't know those gators in the one stage were part of a trophy & were suppose to sneak past them. I can replay the stage & retry for the trophy, right?

Plum

Got past the first proper level and lost my save. Going to finish TLG and then get right on to this. From what I did play though it's really great, the games are bursting with so much personality and this isn't any different.

Strimei

Out of curiosity, is the soundtrack officially available (or will be) (outside of that special edition)? I was watching a stream of it earlier and the music was really catchy and I'd love to have it.

Fuzzy

Edit: CRAP, I didn't know those gators in the one stage were part of a trophy & were suppose to sneak past them. I can replay the stage & retry for the trophy, right?
Yes. Don't bother until near the end though.

Yep. I did that. You can retry the stage. You can even use dance transformations to help you out.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Out of curiosity, is the soundtrack officially available (or will be) (outside of that special edition)? I was watching a stream of it earlier and the music was really catchy and I'd love to have it.

On CD? No idea, but virt will probably put it up on bandcamp as a pay-what-you-want download.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would assume so. Xseed has placed some of their LE/physical bonuses as separate items on their online store. However, you MUST order at least $20 worth in order for them to ship items to you, & looking at the prices for the other OSTs, it'll probably go for $5, maybe $10.

Yes. Don't bother until near the end though.

Yep. I did that. You can retry the stage. You can even use dance transformations to help you out.
Appreciate it. Got the one relating to the slide part of the stage.

Oh yeah, while I'm thinking about it, PSN has the other games on sale at the moment. Risky's Revenge: Director's Cut is $2.50 & Pirate's Curse is only $5 (both PS+ prices). Already got Pirate's Curse on 3DS, but is Risky's Revenge worth getting if I liked Pirate's Curse, but honestly found the original GBC game directionless since I had no idea where to go nor where I was going?

Giolon

That's an amazing title.

Unused alternate dance posted by psxphile in the other thread (based on one of the dances in the original Shantae GBC):

LyD7Csy.gif

Why? Because it's awesome. Here's hoping for it to show up in the DLC.

Top Bottom