• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaq believes in a flat earth. Edit: Claims he doesn't believe in a flat earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

OraleeWey

If Earth is round then why does this 100% accurate .gif of day and night cycle exist?

ULkqCIg.gif

Guys, guys! I don't have the answer to all your questions! If you want to find out more
-> Vsauce

He can't articulate a thought about a sport he played for 3 decades or such. It's perfectly reasonable he has trouble with basic concepts about earth.

Tobor

What truly baffles me about this flat earth nonsense is a lack of motive.

This is apparently the largest conspiracy in human history, involving all members of all governments, all scientists, all pilots, all ship captains and crews, everyone who designs and builds planes and ships, all cartographers, all astronauts, and who knows who else.

Why? For what? What is the potential gain from such a stupendous world effort?

People wonder why Donald Trump won.

He won because people are more willing to except flawed but easily available information than they are difficult to find/understand but true information. They believe in the truth of their own personal experiences over the fact of collective knowledge. They believe that facts are only facts when those facts fit comfortably with what they already feel.

This country deserves Donald Trump.

yyzjohn

Banned
Is it really that crazy though? No real proof that the earth is round other than NASA photos (that could easily be shopped). Think everyone should keep an open mind. After all, science is always changing.

But Photoshop didn't exist in the 70s, I'm so confused.

Fox Mulder

Why even bother asking athletes or celebrities about this kind of shit anyways.

You can be great at basketball and still be a dumbfuck.

Is it really that crazy though? No real proof that the earth is round other than NASA photos (that could easily be shopped). Think everyone should keep an open mind. After all, science is always changing.

You... You are being sarcastic, right?

Do you think all the other planets and solar bodies are round and Earth isn't?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This kind of hysteria will only get worst in poorly educated industrialized countries. If people had guaranteed income, they would spend their time not working or not thinking about work, and instead spend it reading about conspiracies, arguing over pointless things like people on internet forums but in real life, and be willing to sacrifice national interest in favor of their stupid ideas. They will vote for Alex Jones as president and all that stuff. The US is a mess.

danowat

Banned
I've just done a little but of reading into this flat earth theory.

Holy shit there is some mental gymnastics going on.

OraleeWey

lololol so wait is the south pole the edge of the world? what's the circumference of the flat earth anyway?

Flat Earth believers don't have the answers to these questions because they don't use facts at all, so I don't have the answers to those questions either.

Sadly, if you said this in a public forum 200 years ago, people would say "here's a protractor, ruler, compass, and a telescope - prove it."

And then you'd have to sit in a corner and be alone with your terrible, groundless opinions.

Pbae

Riddle me this.

If the Earth wasn't flat then why is the Milky Way always described as discus?

To go further, why do Milky Way chocolate bars have no nuts and are always one of the least enjoyed chocolate concoctions next to almond joys? Because we're not nuts and us flat earth truthers aren't meant to be understood by the masses!

OraleeWey

But... but... gravity?
How does gravity works then?

IF Earth was flat, this is how gravity would feel like assuming the gravity of Earth was measured from the center.

9soFrpZ.jpg

As you went away from the center it would feel like you're climbing a steeper and steeper hill but it is completely flat. You'd have to compensate for that gravity by building structures in an angle. Like this

6JAzH6W.jpg

jU2pXra.jpg

uRgrAo6.jpg

Note: not to scale

ggx2ac

If Earth is round then why does this 100% accurate .gif of day and night cycle exist?

ULkqCIg.gif

This is so baffling and stupid.

Apparently the Sun and moon are the same size that the Sun can't illuminate the Earth well. Never mind trying to comprehend that the Sun is revolving around the Earth.

By the way, what about Earth's magnetic poles? How do Flat Earthers explain that?

Should send him on a U2 spy plane flight to see the earth curvature but he'd probably say he's drugged or it's holographic image projected on to the cockpit.

ItIsOkBro

I think we, as a society, should come to a universal agreement, to stop pretending to be stupid as a joke. Because it's getting harder and harder to tell the difference and there are too many stupid people who will use you to reaffirm their views regardless.

kess

This is so baffling and stupid.

Apparently the Sun and moon are either the same size or that apparently the earth is really huge that the Sun is smaller and can't illuminate the Earth well. Never mind trying to comprehend that the Sun is revolving around the Earth.

By the way, what about Earth's magnetic poles? How do Flat Earthers explain that?

magnets.jpg

What are you, some kind of warlock?

Kinyou

My biggest question is still the "why"

Why would any goverment or secret society or whatever try to keep the flat earth a secret.
Who do these conspiracy theorists think profits from this?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My biggest question is still the "why"

Why would any goverment or secret society or whatever try to keep the flat earth a secret.
Who do these conspiracy theorists think profits from this?

They believe in God and the devil. They say all of this is to turn people away from God. It's pretty much always the same when it comes to anti-science beliefs.

That's why people here saying "but what about this, how do they explain that?" is a complete waste of time. I've seen some argue on FB over this, you would think they were trolls if you didn't know they were actually religious along with their families. Completely insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom