• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaq believes in a flat earth. Edit: Claims he doesn't believe in a flat earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury451

Banned
This seems like some secret handshake dare to get into a club or something: "You must publicly troll that you believe in a flat earth, then you become one of us."

I really don't believe he's serious at all.

Shaq noooo!

I don't really believe he's being serious, though, just joking around. Shaq says tons of bizarre things every day just to get a rise out of the media and people around him.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What ever happened to the burden of proof?
Can I just decide the moon being made of cheese is a legitimate theory?

The burden of proof was never a standard for most people. Most people are fucking idiots. It's just that thirty years ago they didn't have a constant stream of misleading information thrown at their faces that they aren't equipped to deal with.

I've always wondered why flat earthers think everyone else is lying. Like what reason does anyone have to lie about the earth being round???

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The burden of proof was never a standard for most people. Most people are fucking idiots. It's just that thirty years ago they didn't have a constant stream of misleading information thrown at their faces that they aren't equipped to deal with.
See, this is the part I don't get. If I told any person I have a million dollar diamond in my pocket they'd require hard evidence. No one would just take my word for it. Burden of proof is alive and well when it comes to daily matters. But somewhere along the line between shit that is fucking obvious to a toddler and rocket science people seem to have their philosophical views flipped.

See, this is the part I don't get. If I told any person I have a million dollar diamond in my pocket they'd require hard evidence. No one would just take my word for it. Burden of proof is alive and well when it comes to daily matters. But somewhere along the line between shit that is fucking obvious to a toddler and rocket science people seem to have their philosophical views flipped.
An air of authority is enough to bypass that burden of proof. A scientist/expert/celebrity/politician/president said it, thus it's probably true, versus you saying it

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
An air of authority is enough to bypass that burden of proof. A scientist/expert/celebrity/politician/president said it, thus it's probably true, versus you saying it

Then why believe in a flat earth in the first place when plenty of authoritative figures stand firmly in opposite camp?

Then why believe in a flat earth in the first place when plenty of authoritative figures stand firmly in opposite camp?
But there are other figures who don't.

And that's what matters. As along as someone with some level of authority exists that says what you believe, you can spin and twist it into validation that you're right. Who cares what those other experts and authorities say, these guys agree with me, so there has to be some truth to it

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
But there are other figures who don't.

And that's what matters. As along as someone with some level of authority exists that says what you believe, you can spin and twist it into validation that you're right. Who cares what those other experts and authorities say, these guys agree with me, so there has to be some truth to it

That, to me, can explain why plenty of dubious "get rich quick" scams exist. People want to believe in them because they have something to gain. What does anyone gain from believing in flat earth?

Sky rotating around a flat earth, but nice try lizardman.
the night sky is actually a pretty good indicator why the earth is a globe. every citizen would look at the same direction if they would face the polar star or other star constellations.
still looks cool though
2rknAi6.gifv

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If these flat 🌏ers are truly right in their belief, this man also has a point then!
dexlmbB.jpg

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Put this fella and all others on a U2 please. FFS

Pizza

If the earth is flat how do you reappear on the other side

Where is the seam of the earth

Why isn't there an edge

If you go across the entire world and show up on the identical continent you started on is it really the same continent you left from because the earth is flat and just repeats in every direction?

Why doesn't the sun hit the floor

Pineapple

Seems obvious to me this was said sarcastically

He has a PhD in Education and is a pretty smart guy. I doubt he actually believes this.

Two Words

Seems obvious to me this was said sarcastically

He has a PhD in Education and is a pretty smart guy. I doubt he actually believes this.

Okay, but think about this. What kind of PhD holder would publicly announce so passionately that the Earth is flat and not mean it?

Dreavus

Space tourism will put an end to this right?

You could look out the window as the ship leaves earth and see for yourself every step of the way.

"Oh, it's round. My bad lol"

Peltz

the night sky is actually a pretty good indicator why the earth is a globe. every citizen would look at the same direction if they would face the polar star or other star constellations.
still looks cool though
2rknAi6.gifv

That gif is odd... why are there two sunsets on the horizon that do not change during the time elapsed?

Would be really weird if we found out that was a huge group of flat earthers in the NBA/pro sports, sort of like Scientology in Hollywood.

nkarafo

Give him a break, the guy is huge. His heart has a hard time pumping blood all the way up to his brain.

It hurts my brain to think about how anyone could possibly deduce that the Earth is flat. Just doesn't compute.
Most flat earthers don't really believe that. They just try to be edgy and anti-establishment.

mAcOdIn

I don't understand this either. What's to be gained by anyone by keeping "the truth" hidden ?
I'd understand if this were the 1400s but in this era we have tons and tons of normal everyday people flying around the world, if the Earth was flat it couldn't be hidden, it'd require the participation of the airline and shipping industry AND all of its passengers, which would be an insane amount of people.

Just with air travel, excluding just looking at the horizon, are they suggesting that a flight from California to Japan isn't going to head East but West and really, really fast to hide its true distance from the passengers? I don't know where they believe the edge is but wherever they place it there's clearly traffic going both ways. I don't get how it could be flat.

R-User!

That, to me, can explain why plenty of dubious "get rich quick" scams exist. People want to believe in them because they have something to gain. What does anyone gain from believing in flat earth?

That they're right because you can't prove them wrong.

I imagine they like feeling right.

Security blanket and all that.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
That they're right because you can't prove them wrong.

I imagine they like feeling right.

Security blanket and all that.

But you can easily prove them wrong. If you want to believe in something that can't be disproved, turn to religion.
I agree with you though that feeling like they know better than the rest of us is part of it, as is rejection of consensus due to some anger towards society.

I've always wondered why flat earthers think everyone else is lying. Like what reason does anyone have to lie about the earth being round???

It's funny that this is the part that really makes the conspiracy fall apart. Pictures from space? They'll say it's faked. Ships disappear over the horizon? Some pseudo science bullshit about optics. Why no explorer ever found the edge? Mutual treaty between all nations to imprison and execute anyone that approaches Antarctica.

But ask a flat earther WHY anyone would lie about the earth being round? "Uhh... to keep you from the truth." Yeah, but why? "Because they don't want you to know that it's all a lie" Yeah, but why? "Uhhh... big banks?"

It boggles the mind that someone whose job was entirely based on what he was capable of doing with a sphere can't grasp the concept of the planet also being round.

Next time he goes near a basketball someone should just hand him a vinyl record instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom