• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who STILL don't get why this is such an enormous deal

This is as close as you'll ever get to the 90's Sega coming back. Yu Suzuki is basically reassembling the most legendary team in Sega history to produce one more classic.

This game is not what i think of when i think of 90s sega at all. Still a great project.

Erevador

Sony are partners with Shenmue CONFIRMED.

They will be providing funding and support.

Confirmed by Gio Corsi on the stream.

This is legit happening. No compromise Shenmue. Fuck yes.

kamakazi5

Has Sony come out and stated it just like they did in the stream? Seems like pretty big news. They are officially helping to develop the game with YS Net now that the game is funded.

Edit: I had my worries about this but not anymore. No doubt that this will be completed.

Sony and Playstation are partners throughout development. Third party productions will work with Suzukis team to get the game done. And Shenmue 3 was #1 on the build the list

Mendax

yo on the playstation twitch some sony person mentioned "we are definitely their partners in this and we will see that it gets done".

thats big, isnt it?

edit: oh, late

wow dat music

MaddenNFL64

Yep, first open world "cinematic" story-driven experience done right, no sacrifice to game design and gameplay. A world that feels like you're actually a part of it with changing time of day and weather cycle, a bunch of NPCs with dialogue interaction, combat depth of Virtua Fighter with RPG stat elements. It just didn't age well to due a very slow pacing and a lot of running around that might turn some of today's gamers off. Pacing is a bit like the old-school point and click adventure games.

Oh man, but I loved opening useless doors and drawers that led me nowhere!

pastrami

Yeah, seems like Third Party Productions is involved with the project, and the kickstarter was indeed used to gauge interest in the title.

is it true, that this kickstarter is only there to make Sony aware of the demand for this game, before they fund it ?

Because 2 Million seems extremely low, considering how big the budget of the older titles was

Sony gave them a leg up...don't SEGA still own the IP?

Most Kickstarters don't cover the budget, anyone would be insane to think they do. Let's say Sony or SEGA are backing this but they obviously need to know people are interested and willing to put "collateral" on the line rather than Xenosaga HD esque "I'll buy it Harada! Trust me!"....once it hits an agreed upon threshold they fund it.

Yeah Gio said something along the lines of: "we set a goal of $2 million, and said that if we hit that mark, we would absolutely make this a reality." I'm assuming the last "we" refers to Sony.

J-Rzez

I'm kind of shocked that people didn't understand why they needed to kickstart it, but Boyes should have went in depth there with it, cut the CoD stuff out if need be.

Even more shocked people doubted it would hit it's goals, lol.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why are they knee capping the kickstarter

Physical ps4 - 100

Should be an option at least

Also the insane people high tiers are already gone. Come on Suzuki. We need a 20k option.

Par Score

Gio Corsi says Shenmue 3 was the number one title on the #buildingthelist initiative from day one, by a wide margin, and that Sony are very much 'involved'.

It's sort of poetic that Sony of all people are the eventual architects of Shenmue's comeback, considering the role they played in the downfall of the Dreamcast.

pastrami

If they're assisting I'm guessing this isn't coming to XB1 then..?

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I'm not sure of how Third Party Productions works, but for example, pubfund titles are free to go to other platforms after a set period of exclusivity. I would say the chances are probably pretty low.

ajim

Sony and Playstation are partners throughout development. Third party productions will work with Suzukis team to get the game done. And Shenmue 3 was #1 on the build the list
I know nothing about this stuff, but what does #1 on the build list mean?

Erevador

Why are they knee capping the kickstarter

Physical ps4 - 100

Should be an option at least

Also the insane people high tiers are already gone. Come on Suzuki. We need a 20k option.
I sent a message to them on Kickstarter awhile back saying exactly that. Hopefully they add more tiers soon while fire is still hot.

Sweep14

Gio Corsi just confirmed that with the successful KS, Sony is now officially partnering with Yu Suzuki's team on Shenmue 3 with development assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom