• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
I really hope Sega sees the reaction to Shenmue 3 and the amount of money people are throwing at it and chooses to do an HD remaster of 1 and 2, or fuck it, even just put them out without remastering them. I haven't played them since I owned an Xbox and I don't feel like going out and buying old hardware just to play 2 games. Sega, PLS

Looks like Sega were at the heart of the holdup and this taking so long to get off the ground. This is probably not thread-worthy but I'm sure some of you guys will find it interesting if it is not known:

According to a French newspaper (not games media, a traditional newspaper), a French co-producer helped make this game possible. Cedric Biscay apparently heads a company which worked for a long time to sort out the licensing permission from Sega for the campaign. They interviewed him and he confirmed that Sega still holds the rights, but has accepted the project.

Here's the source (in french):

http://www.20minutes.fr/culture/163...henmue-3-va-devenir-realite-grace-kickstarter

Hey guys, dont really know where else to put this but I guess I need to vent a little. I just buried one of my best friends today after he lost a hard battle with depression. He gave up and hung himself on friday. He was my main gaming partner for so many years and the reason why im posting this in here is because I know the ONE game he was looking forward to so so much was Shenmue 3.

He would, always say that Shenmue 3 was his dream announcement amogst all others. even before games like a Crash Bandicoot reboot, Final Fantasy 7, or any other games that we played together or all yearned for, I knew this one was very close to his heart. And the fact it was announced the day before his funeral makes this game as important to me as any other.

Watching the Sony announcements at E3 this year was so exhilarating as my most anticipated games, Last Guardian and FFVII were announced but I was probably the one person in the world who felt such sadness when Shenmue 3 was announced because my friend had been looking forward to it so much.

Thanks for listening but i didnt know where else to say this. Also if it all possible would like to know if theres any way how I can play the first two Shenmue games. I never got round to playing them and even though I know they might be a little antiquated these days i feel I owe it to my friend to try them out. I don't Own a PC or a laptop but i will be determined to play these games before the new ones are released..

Thanks for listening and I hope I haven't deflated your Shenmue 3 hype too much.

RavenEffect

Neo Member
Hey guys, dont really know where else to put this but I guess I need to vent a little. I just buried one of my best friends today after he lost a hard battle with depression. He gave up and hung himself on friday. He was my main gaming partner for so many years and the reason why im posting this in here is because I know the ONE game he was looking forward to so so much was Shenmue 3.

He would, always say that Shenmue 3 was his dream announcement amogst all others. even before games like a Crash Bandicoot reboot, Final Fantasy 7, or any other games that we played together or all yearned for, I knew this one was very close to his heart. And the fact it was announced the day before his funeral makes this game as important to me as any other.

Watching the Sony announcements at E3 this year was so exhilarating as my most anticipated games, Last Guardian and FFVII were announced but I was probably the one person in the world who felt such sadness when Shenmue 3 was announced because my friend had been looking forward to it so much.

Thanks for listening but i didnt know where else to say this. Also if it all possible would like to know if theres any way how I can play the first two Shenmue games. I never got round to playing them and even though I know they might be a little antiquated these days i feel I owe it to my friend to try them out. I don't Own a PC or a laptop but i will be determined to play these games before the new ones are released..

Thanks for listening and I hope I haven't deflated your Shenmue 3 hype too much.

Sorry for your loss man :(

You now must play Shenmue 3 in his memory when it drops. Hope time heals your wounds.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

This thread just got DARK.

Damn man. =( Condolences (Did I spell it right?)

Erevador

Sad story, sorry to hear about your loss.

As for Shenmue, unfortunately the only good way to play it at this point is to pick up a Dreamcast and a copy of the game. Shenmue II you can play on the original xbox, or on Xbox 360 with backwards compatibility.

Josh7289

Damn it, no. Thank you for sharing. This only increases my resolve to promote this Kickstarter as much as possible. I wonder how many other people are in the same situation as your friend? For them, and for so many other reasons, I'm going to work to the best of my ability to make this game the best it can be.

Thank you again.

Shaneus

It's all good, dude. So sorry for your loss, hopefully when it finally releases it'll refresh all the positive Shenmue memories you guys shared :)

My deepest condolences.

So sorry for your loss.

I am hoping that with the interest sparked by Shenmue III, Sega will decide to put out re-mastered editions of I and II before 2017.

Krejlooc

Banned
Looks like Sega were at the heart of the holdup and this taking so long to get off the ground. This is probably not thread-worthy but I'm sure some of you guys will find it interesting if it is not known:

According to a French newspaper (not games media, a traditional newspaper), a French co-producer helped make this game possible. Cedric Biscay apparently heads a company which worked for a long time to sort out the licensing permission from Sega for the campaign. They interviewed him and he confirmed that Sega still holds the rights, but has accepted the project.

http://www.20minutes.fr/culture/1632...ce-kickstarter

Do you speak french? Can you translate this for us?

Condolences.

It would be great if we got HD remasters. Otherwise you'll need to get a Dreamcast.

Yawnier

Banned

The source doesn't load for me, I got a page not found error

On the kickstarter page though, there is a bit of info on this Cedric Biscay guy. Sounds like he is the head of Shibuya Productions (which is a company I've never heard of before).

MaddenNFL64

Finished Shenmue II like 10+ times during my teen years, one of my favorite game of all time. I've never played Shenmue 1 though since I never had a Dreamcast. How has it aged compared to II? Really want to play it during the summer.

slower pace, but you're still askin questions, fighting bad dudes, and wasting your cash on toys.

Darknight

We need a translation.

Also not surprised. Sega still salty Sony K.O.'d them at their own game.

Sorry to hear that. Such a bad feel when you see something that could be shared with a dear one that passed away.
Depression is tough.

RavenEffect

Neo Member

Thanks very much mate, I will certainly be playing the new one. I hope to play the others too now somehow, where theres a will theres a way.

Your very welcome. Best advice honestly is to just get a Dreamcast and burn Shenmue I and II and grind through them since you don't need to mod a DC to do that. You could always of course buy the real copies too. Again, I hope you stay strong through these hard times.

Damn it, no. Thank you for sharing. This only increases my resolve to promote this Kickstarter as much as possible. I wonder how many other people are in the same situation as your friend? For them, and for so many other reasons, I'm going to work to the best of my ability to make this game the best it can be.

Thank you again.

Thank you my friend, I'll be making my own donation towards the game now myself. It just feels right to support this now.

Thanks for all the kind messages guys, I know a Shenmue HD collection was hinted at previously so hopefully I can get that when it arrives if not then Ill do what I can to properly share the hype, but even if I dont play the previous games this new one will be special to me. Sorry for unloading all my thoughts in an otherwise positive thread but its hard to explain stuff like this to people who dont play games alot or as a hobby I guess. Again thank you all. X

Remember Dobuita...
tumblr_njwyoziEzI1u9ftrro1_1280.jpg

If the Shenmue 3 team can even capture half of the palpable ambiance that place generated when it comes to constructing locations for the new game, then consider it a victory. Dobuita man, I love that place.

qcf x2

Dudes, I dunno how to feel about the same ppl working on Shenmue that rushed the USF4 port.

Someone reassure me plz.

If the Shenmue 3 team can even capture half of the palpable ambiance that place generated when it comes to constructing locations for the new game, then consider it a victory. Dobuita man, I love that place.

I'm looking forward to the music so much in Shenmue 3. And I agree, if they can capture that same feeling they have for the OST in 1/2 for 3, then that'd be so damn amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnvYRm_8Oy8

I'm looking forward to the music so much in Shenmue 3. And I agree, if they can capture that same feeling they have for the OST in 1/2 for 3, then that'd be so damn amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnvYRm_8Oy8

In the lead up to Sony's conference yesterday, I decided to put on the OST for the first game and listened to the whole thing, pretty much because all the rumours circulating inspired me to do so. AND THEN IT FREAKIN' HAPPENED! True story.

Those soundtracks for both games though, they're still godly. They've gotten the same guy to compose the score for 3 right? I never knew real life could be this fan-fictiony.

LordDash

Banned
Great news regarding Shenmue on Sony's part, and if Sega remaster the first two Shenmue games
please god
, ouuuuuffff. I will die a happy man.

In the lead up to Sony's conference yesterday, I decided to put on the OST for the first game and listened to the whole thing, pretty much because all the rumours circulating inspired me to do so. AND THEN IT FREAKIN' HAPPENED! True story.

Those soundtracks for both games though, they're still godly. They've gotten the same guy to compose the score for 3 right? I never knew real life could be this fan-fictiony.

Ryuji Iuchi is the one working on it, and he's worked on several of the themes from 1/2 including Shenhua's Theme. So I'm completely okay with this.

Sealtest

Never played Shenmue before is 2 a good place to start? I just bought it from my local store because I've seen the price go crazy on ebay so I thought i'd be smart and buy it now.

Poor Fuku San. I remember using the arm break fire against him numerous times as he was the only person you could practice grapples on. Poor guy I must have broken his arm a million times.

Poor Fuku san. He's constantly waiting for senpai to notice him and only gets noticed when Ryo needs someone to beat on.

Moofers

Never played Shenmue before is 2 a good place to start? I just bought it from my local store because I've seen the price go crazy on ebay so I thought i'd be smart and buy it now.

If you have the xbox version, just watch the included movie that covers the events of S1. Then enjoy and remember that the game came out 14 years ago so not all of it has aged that well, but if you stick with it you will start to really appreciate it once you get settled in.

The controls are better, but you're going to be thrown right into the story. I'd recommend starting with the first one.

You're missing a bit of the story but I think you'll be okay without it. I think 2 is more approachable for a novice, especially nowadays.

Oriel

How much do I have to pay to have ChuChu Rocket in this?

Edit: Dammit, I forgot this was supposed to be 1986/87.

A Sega Saturn console made a cameo appearance in the first Shenmue so little nuggets of Yu greatness may be scattered throughout III. Artistic licence and all.

Krejlooc

Banned

It's all one long continous story, the individual games don't really wrap up. That's why the wait for Shenmue III was so excruciating - Shenmue II provides absolutely no resolution. It's like cutting away to a commercial break but never coming back. It's also a very slow build up, giving the player lots and lots of time to focus on interpersonal relationships and getting to know the other people in the game.

You need to experience Shenmue I in some way. They released a movie-version of Shenmue I alongside Shenmue II, make sure you at least watch it. It doesn't provide the same experience as playing the game, because it skips almost all the characterization, but it tells the main basic story from Shenmue I.

Shenmue the Movie

When you play Shenmue II, just keep in mind how ancient it is. It's basically the first modern video game. Almost every single one of it's conventions is extremely raw and has been refined since. Give it an honest chance and keep in mind that you are meant to take your time and get lost in the world, and I think you can enjoy what Shenmue has to offer.

I just can't grasp that we got the confirmations for Shenmue 3 and a new season of Twin Peaks within a short amount of time. Who would have thought?

Sometimes the unthinkable can still happen. So cool.

Ryuji Iuchi is the one working on it, and he's worked on several of the themes from 1/2 including Shenhua's Theme. So I'm completely okay with this.

Good enough I guess. Is Toshiyuki Watanabe the man who composed the bulk of the music? It'd be great if they could get him back on board as well.

It'd be a shame to miss out on the first game, which I personally like just a teensy bit more than 2, but if you really have no other option then sure, start with the sequel.

That first game deserves to be played though.

Oriel

Poor Fuku San. I remember using the arm break fire against him numerous times as he was the only person you could practice grapples on. Poor guy I must have broken his arm a million times.

Christ he was annoying. I used to love beating the shit out of him.

Shaneus

Adam Boyes talks about backing Shenmue 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRGlVDi3FHQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

"Providing some funding... ...from a marketing perspective we're going to get behind it in a big way"

"We're going to put our horsepower behind it as well to make sure that it's a fantastic experience and a great game"
"Obviously we're providing some funding as well, but we never disclose...". I think you missed the context of that quote. So there you go, there's almost no chance of seeing it on One.

Just as I suspected, this is very similar (though larger in scope) to the Grim Fandango Remastered release. Sony backs it, gets released on every platform bar their competing ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom