• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, UE4 supports Mac and Linux right? I'm really hoping the PC version gets announced as working on something other than Windows by the end of the month.

Sealtest

If you have the xbox version, just watch the included movie that covers the events of S1. Then enjoy and remember that the game came out 14 years ago so not all of it has aged that well, but if you stick with it you will start to really appreciate it once you get settled in.

Yeah mine came with the DVD I made sure of that when I bought the game.

And I just found out it worked on 360, I was afraid because All my OG controllers are broke so I thought i'd have to wait till I bought a new one.

Guys I missed the originals can someone tell me what kind of game it is? What it's about?

Shenmue is a classic kung fu movie perfectly adapted into an open world adventure game. It is about the futility of revenge and Buddhist redemption as well as hanging out at the arcade and getting into martial arts battles.

Erevador

I just can't grasp that we got the confirmations for Shenmue 3 and a new season of Twin Peaks within a short amount of time. Who would have thought?

Sometimes the unthinkable can still happen. So cool.
The next few years should pretty incredible in terms of thing we never thought we'd get. Twin Peaks and X-files coming back, Star Wars, and above all Shenmue.

Now if we can just solve the Silent Hills situation...

Mr. RPG

Never played Shenmue before is 2 a good place to start? I just bought it from my local store because I've seen the price go crazy on ebay so I thought i'd be smart and buy it now.

I highly recommend you play Shenmue I first. I don't recommend watching the movie either. It is nothing like actually playing the game.

Erevador

Speaking of combat, of all the games I've ever played, Shenmue is the only one to really capture the core of what eastern martial arts are actually about.

I love how the game emphasizes control, training, and philosophically centered discipline.

Shenmue has a kind of zen approach to combat. It's amazing.

Speaking of combat, of all the game I've ever played, Shenmue is the only one to really capture the core of what eastern martial arts are actually about.

I love how the game emphasizes control, training, and philosophically centered discipline.

GON

DAN

JIE

YI

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I told my sister about this. Shenmue II was one of only a handful of full-retail "hardcore" games that ever caught her interest enough to play through.
Her boyfriend has a gaming PC and a PS4. (basically just for The Show) She's in for $29.
The thirst is real.

FuturusX

Shenmue is a classic kung fu movie perfectly adapted into an open world adventure game. It is about the futility of revenge and Buddhist redemption as well as hanging out at the arcade and getting into martial arts battles.

And finding Lan di. Where is Lan di?

I can't wait.

Krejlooc

Banned
Guys I missed the originals can someone tell me what kind of game it is? What it's about?

It's a chinese kung fu epic. It begins very grounded in real life, and slowly introduces fantastical and mystical elements, with ancient techniques. Ryo will learn to walk on water in Shenmue III, as an example.

It begins with your father, a martial arts master, being murdered in front of you by a man named Lan Di, and you begin a global quest to find and kill him. As you progress, a global conspiracy unfolds that appears to be a plot to resurrect an ancient evil.

Shenmue is the father of modern gaming. It is an open world game, with a virtua fighter combat system. It was extremely big budget at the time. What makes shenmue I so cool is that, unlike games like GTA where all the NPCs are randomly generated, every person and event in Shenmue I is hand crafted. They gave these people identities and routines and dialog for months of in-game time. It reminds me a lot of Majora's Mask in how absolutely everything is very meticulously crafted, but taken to the Nth degree. They recreated an entire town in Japan this way. You can chose to ignore the mainstory of the game and basically take up living in this small town in japan, working, forming relationships, playing video games, eating, sleeping, etc. You can play the game like a life simulator if you want.

Shenmue II is a bit more streamlined. It's much more action packed, and takes place in Hong Kong. Half of the game takes place in an extremely meticulously recreated version of China's infamous Kowloon Walled City. Shenmue II is more like a Jackie Chan movie than anything else. While you can still play it like a life simulator, this time living in Hong Kong, it's crafted much more for a focus on the kung fu plot.

The games are very old by now. They originated numerous mechanics that have become common place in games like The Witcher 3 and GTA. Nearly every mechanic done in Shenmue has since been refined, making Shenmue itself very hard to play. Even back when it released, it felt a bit antiquated because it really began it's life as a Sega Saturn game. Shenmue was amazingly, incredibly forward thinking. A revolutionary game that really had a big influence on gaming today. There's a big reason why people are losing their shit.

From all the work AM2 was doing at the end of Shenmue 2, working on generating enormous, organic forests, and what they said in the livestream about taking place in smaller villages, I think it's pretty obvious this one takes place in rural, wooded china.

I am curious to see what Yu Suzuki's forest simulation algorithms look like. Shenmue I and II were awesome because they did 2 very different things - Shenmue I was an insanely intricately detailed tiny city, where everything was scripted for months upon months down to the smallest detail. Shenmue II was, of course, a full simulation of one of the largest cities on the planet. It's neat that they're doing something different yet equally ambitious with Shenmue III. There are videos recently of Yu Suzuki talking about how they generated forests at the end of shenmue II and where the tech would have eventually gone, and how he had created this system to store ridiculously huge, detailed forests into tiny pieces of code that resided a very little space in memory. Crazy stuff, especially for 2000.

I have no idea what type of odd jobs they'll have this time. But man I can't wait. This is going to be so freaking cool.

DC1

Just stopping back in to check on the thread.
So happy that it made another turn in the reminiscence of SHENMUE.

This thread has more lives than Jake Bauer.

Krejlooc

Banned
Speaking of combat, of all the games I've ever played, Shenmue is the only one to really capture the core of what eastern martial arts are actually about.

That's because, at it's heart, it's virtua fighter. It was originally the Virtua Fighter RPG.

I hope the fighting system is just as sharp in Shenmue III.

Trojan X

Banned
If the Shenmue 3 team can even capture half of the palpable ambiance that place generated when it comes to constructing locations for the new game, then consider it a victory. Dobuita man, I love that place.

Planning to go to Dobuita next month. It is only 1hr 40mins drive away from me. :)

It's amazing how much time I've spent in the Shenmue world. I think I have spoken and helped with nearly every interactive local in the game, I looked after the kitten, I think I did everything! I was so part of Ryo I made sure I trained really hard every day to get all my skills to a really high level. What made Shenmue wasn't just the story, it wasn't just the world, it was the small element of everything that makes up one big EVERYTHING. It was the insane attention to detail that clicks, the thinking out of the box that makes you fully feel immersed into the world and part of Ryo's life. Shenmue 1 was so complete in that respect that you felt that you ARE Ryo or at least some kind of guardian or entity that makes you become Ryo himself and somehow switch out to compliment, criticize, become angry or sympathize with him for his action and what he says to his friends, or even to an enemy. Shenmue insane attention to detail makes you fall in love with the character and the sheer scale of the environment makes you want to look around and appreciate every element of the game world. The game makes you want to protect those you care about, love those who you know entrusted their lives or are part of you. The more you play the game via training, exploring, admiring the things around you during the day and night, the more you do these things and many more, the more you end up forgetting any gripe the game has and start actually living, appreciating, and obeying the rules of the world that is Shenmue. I even spent days like this: I wake up at around 8am. When I wake up, I go say good morning to Ine san (Ryo's housemaid and guardian) then go off to train in the dojo. After training in the dojo I go back into the house to leave for the day, then move on to see how the kitten is doing. After checking the kitten, I go and speak to some of the locals that cares about me all before I travel to the bus terminal in Dobuita town so I can get to work is Yokosuka Habour. After a tough day at work, I come back to Dobuita town to relax at the local arcades until the near late evening, then I go and meet Tom, play some gatcha at the capsule pod, buy a drink and items at the vending machine and store, go to the local bars in the evening to get some info here and there about my father and what happened on that day, then I go and see how Nozomi chan is doing, then I do some evening training before I go home for bed. ... Now. All this sounds so crazy because when I told my friend about this, he first thought I was talking about what I did for real, it took him a while to click and think that I was talking about Shenmue. That is why Shenmue has an incredible place in people's hearts and made people like myself cry when Shenmue III was announced. Shenmue II was also still amazing but it was a little more "direct" rather than exploration compared to Shenmue I. Of course, I definitely didn't mind the slightly more direct aspect of Shenmue II for it was also feature great exploration but the attention to detail wasn't as incredible compared to Shenmue I. So if we really want a match made in heaven for Shenmue III, it would be our absolute dream if it was a combination/union of Shenmue I and II. Yes, it is a lot of work and probably mean that the game won't come until late 2017, but believe me, it will be WORTH the wait!

This is why it is important to keep the kickstarter going to go way beyond its requested amount. If the kickstarter can reach $15 million, we will get what we want and then some which will make everyone incredibly and insanely happy.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is the most mindblowing thing in the entire series IMO:

s2PM5EG.jpg

$2.8 million in 23 hours. Wow.

Trojan X

Banned
It's a chinese kung fu epic. It begins very grounded in real life, and slowly introduces fantastical and mystical elements, with ancient techniques. Ryo will learn to walk on water in Shenmue III, as an example.

It begins with your father, a martial arts master, being murdered in front of you by a man named Lan Di, and you begin a global quest to find and kill him. As you progress, a global conspiracy unfolds that appears to be a plot to resurrect an ancient evil.

Shenmue is the father of modern gaming. It is an open world game, with a virtua fighter combat system. It was extremely big budget at the time. What makes shenmue I so cool is that, unlike games like GTA where all the NPCs are randomly generated, every person and event in Shenmue I is hand crafted. They gave these people identities and routines and dialog for months of in-game time. It reminds me a lot of Majora's Mask in how absolutely everything is very meticulously crafted, but taken to the Nth degree. They recreated an entire town in Japan this way. You can chose to ignore the mainstory of the game and basically take up living in this small town in japan, working, forming relationships, playing video games, eating, sleeping, etc. You can play the game like a life simulator if you want.

Shenmue II is a bit more streamlined. It's much more action packed, and takes place in Hong Kong. Half of the game takes place in an extremely meticulously recreated version of China's infamous Kowloon Walled City. Shenmue II is more like a Jackie Chan movie than anything else. While you can still play it like a life simulator, this time living in Hong Kong, it's crafted much more for a focus on the kung fu plot.

The games are very old by now. They originated numerous mechanics that have become common place in games like The Witcher 3 and GTA. Nearly every mechanic done in Shenmue has since been refined, making Shenmue itself very hard to play. Even back when it released, it felt a bit antiquated because it really began it's life as a Sega Saturn game. Shenmue was amazingly, incredibly forward thinking. A revolutionary game that really had a big influence on gaming today. There's a big reason why people are losing their shit.

From all the work AM2 was doing at the end of Shenmue 2, working on generating enormous, organic forests, and what they said in the livestream about taking place in smaller villages, I think it's pretty obvious this one takes place in rural, wooded china.

I am curious to see what Yu Suzuki's forest simulation algorithms look like. Shenmue I and II were awesome because they did 2 very different things - Shenmue I was an insanely intricately detailed tiny city, where everything was scripted for months upon months down to the smallest detail. Shenmue II was, of course, a full simulation of one of the largest cities on the planet. It's neat that they're doing something different yet equally ambitious with Shenmue III. There are videos recently of Yu Suzuki talking about how they generated forests at the end of shenmue II and where the tech would have eventually gone, and how he had created this system to store ridiculously huge, detailed forests into tiny pieces of code that resided a very little space in memory. Crazy stuff, especially for 2000.

I have no idea what type of odd jobs they'll have this time. But man I can't wait. This is going to be so freaking cool.

Spot on. This man gets it.

Setre

Just pledged $185, this is my first Kickstarter. I watched my brother play and beat Shenmue 1 and remember him telling me a friend of his bought the European version of Shenmue 2 for the Dreamcast. I played a bit of 1 myself but never got really far, I remember really loving the combat though.

Glass

Just pledged $185, this is my first Kickstarter. I watched my brother play and beat Shenmue 1 and remember him telling me a friend of his bought the European version of Shenmue 2 for the Dreamcast. I played a bit of 1 myself but never got really far, I remember really loving the combat though.

This is similar to my experience with 2. I played and loved 1, but I got to watch my brother play 2 from start to finish, I never needed to play it for myself it was such a good experience and a great memory.

So glad this has happened.

GavinGT

Banned
Adam Boyes talks about backing Shenmue 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRGlVDi3FHQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

"Providing some funding... ...from a marketing perspective we're going to get behind it in a big way"

"We're going to put our horsepower behind it as well to make sure that it's a fantastic experience and a great game"

Sounds exactly like we thought: Sony agreed to fund part of the game as long as Kickstarter proved it was worth it.

THANK YOU SONY. You will forever have my respect.

"Obviously we're providing some funding as well, but we never disclose...". I think you missed the context of that quote. So there you go, there's almost no chance of seeing it on One.

Just as I suspected, this is very similar (though larger in scope) to the Grim Fandango Remastered release. Sony backs it, gets released on every platform bar their competing ones.

Depends on the wording of the contract, and how much Sony is really forking over. Apparently it's not enough to ensure a physical PS4 release.

In the lead up to Sony's conference yesterday, I decided to put on the OST for the first game and listened to the whole thing, pretty much because all the rumours circulating inspired me to do so. AND THEN IT FREAKIN' HAPPENED! True story.

Well why didn't you do that years ago? I could be playing the game already!

trOOly

Neo Member
Depends on the wording of the contract, and how much Sony is really forking over. Apparently it's not enough to ensure a physical PS4 release.

Or maybe Sony is the publisher behind it and doesn't want to release physical copies in the Kickstarter for whatever reasons they might have - maybe they expect bigger income by holding out on those copies? I don't really care to be honest.

Krejlooc

Banned
Given the way Sega was pumping out lowered budget titles in the Altered Beast, Nights, Golden Axe, and Sonic series in the mid to late 2000's, I always felt like Shenmue could have come back if Yu Suzuki would have agreed to massively scale back or change what the series was about.

It sounds like he intends on making Shenmue the way he envisions it or not at all. I have to say I admire the guy for his determination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom