• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 won't be at E3

sense

every game i have no interest in shouldn't take up time in my marketing presentations
I was expecting it to be there and I am kinda glad it isn't going to be. I was not going around telling people I hope it doesn't show up there.... I don't understand the passive/aggressive reaction. Yea it sucks if you are a fan of the game.

RedRum

Banned
Announce shit to "win" E3 and then leave everyone in the dark about your progress for years. Shelf this along with FF7 Remake.

jaypah

It was the E3 of dreams! Dreams take time though. But what a show, huh?! It's cool. They'll show it when they show it. Certainly no need to rush it.

Spaghetti

Why not? Can't show anything substantial? Like really?
Not can't. More like won't, but with reason. A select few have seen exclusive footage of the game last year, and the reports from them are that more work has been done than anything showcased so far.

YSnet are playing this out in the long term rather than the short term, and honestly I'd rather they focus on the game rather than getting something ready for a press conference. It almost certainly isn't coming out in 2017 now anyway, so none of this is unexpected. I would not be surprised when it eventually has a re-reveal that they just go "and it's out in six months, SEE YA" in a mic-drop moment.

Loomer

Why are people saying this, ie 2020? I mentioned the same thing a week ago and was told by someone on GAF that it's on track for December this year.

8Uvc.png

Target release is like target render.

Lol. You guys are telling me whatever info they're releasing makes you all warm and fuzzy for a Dec 2017 release date?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

No.

I'm saying shit had to be announced to start making the damn game.

And while I'd love meatier updates, the development status of this game is not dark.

I've said nothing about dates. You did.

A shame but I really... really do not want yu Suzuki to rush this in any way. I've waited 16 years, I can wait another 1 or 2.

vaporware

edit: not sure where Shenmue 3 fits in a world with Yakuza.

Well this is a misguided sentiment if I've ever seen one.

I like yakuza. It's charming. But the things that Shenmue truly did well - existing in a living world, making you feel like part of a community, making every detail of the world explorable - Yakuza doesn't even come close. I've always felt the notion that it was a modern shenmue was really off - it's a pretty different beast, and ultimately nowhere near as special.

RedRum

Banned
Who said anything about a date that has nothing to do with what you said way to deflect.

I'm not deflecting anything. I know exactly what I meant. The updates have revealed nothing of use.

No.

I'm saying shit had to be announced to start making the damn game.

And while I'd love meatier updates, the development status of this game is not dark.

I've said nothing about dates. You did.

That's what I meant. Meatier updates. Not even that meaty, even. Just, you know, something that resembles a game 6 months prior to release.

Trojan X

Banned
Shenmue 3 Dev Room Progress Report Vol. 3
https://youtu.be/N8hp91ItrnU

We saw it in another thread. I'm happy that things are calm and progressive at the moment. It's obvious that the project will not be finished this year for the sake of delivering an awesome game. What I expect from them is to release a great teaser trailer of Shenmue 3 and within that trailer which will show actual in-game graphics, they should announce the new expected release date period (I predict Summer 2018, which is fine), and a showcase a teaser of Shenmue HD and it's release for end this year.

Sega, contact me. I'll make the trailer for you.

Bizzquik

Not mad at all. E3 exists to create hype. And I'm already at hype level mega for this game; seeing it in action would only make the wait seem longer.

Hopefully Sega helps us pass the time by announcing Shenmue 1 and 2 remasters.

Mediking

Not can't. More like won't, but with reason. A select few have seen exclusive footage of the game last year, and the reports from them are that more work has been done than anything showcased so far.

YSnet are playing this out in the long term rather than the short term, and honestly I'd rather they focus on the game rather than getting something ready for a press conference. It almost certainly isn't coming out in 2017 now anyway, so none of this is unexpected. I would not be surprised when it eventually has a re-reveal that they just go "and it's out in six months, SEE YA" in a mic-drop moment.

Hahaha nice

Merc_

You guys should really get used to the Yakuza comparisons now because there is no way this game is going to escape them both for reviews and the general gaming community.

Wheatly

I did.

Yakuza is just better. I feel like Shenmue didn't age well at all and I'm not expecting the studio to be able to handle current gen, like at all. Game will be super budget and probably end up disappointing most of its fanbase.

The fan base just wanted to see the story continue and conclude.

Randomizer

Disappointing if true. Would have been a good video to pair up with the rumoured HD remasters of Shenmue I & II. I don't care how long they take, I've already waited 15 years.

Spaghetti

Some screencaps, because even though not showing at E3 is the thing getting talked about most in this thread it wasn't actually the main subject of the update.

NMWFs7V.jpg

X6NnICc.jpg

of37clV.jpg

cmL0AeL.jpg

I've always really liked Kenji Miyawaki's art on Shenmue anyway, so I'm pretty happy they're leaning heavily into his designs for the 3D models.

I'd have to guess the area they're testing the model in is their generic environment for doing physically based rendering checks.

Some screencaps, because even though not showing at E3 is the thing getting talked about most in this thread it wasn't actually the main subject of the update.

NMWFs7V.jpg

X6NnICc.jpg

of37clV.jpg

cmL0AeL.jpg

I've always really liked Kenji Miyawaki's art on Shenmue anyway, so I'm pretty happy they're leaning heavily into his designs for the 3D models.

I'd have to guess the area they're testing the model in is their generic environment for doing physically based rendering checks.

Ryo Hazuki vs Yujiro Hanma RET'S GO

Jcgamer60

You guys should really get used to the Yakuza comparisons now because there is no way this game is going to escape them both for reviews and the general gaming community.

We may not be able to escape them but - at most - we can try and educate people on why this is a silly comparison to make.

KillLaCam

Banned
I did.

Yakuza is just better. I feel like Shenmue didn't age well at all and I'm not expecting the studio to be able to handle current gen, like at all. Game will be super budget and probably end up disappointing most of its fanbase.

Naw I can go back and play Shenmue 2 with no issues. I can't go back and play Yakuza 1 and be entertained though. I just want to see how the story ends . Idgaf how it looks in this situation. I even want that shitty dub. It's part of the experience for me. Just like the Tenchu dub

Yakuza and Shenmue are Barely simular anyway.

Trojan X

Banned
2 questions for all the negative people in this thread so everyone else can understand where they are coming from:

1. Why is it important for Shenmue 3 to be presented at this year's E3?
  2. If Shenmue 3 is delayed until next year Summer 2018, why is that a big deal to you?

Forkball

E3 2015

The Last Guardian: Came out, disappointment to many
FFVII: In the lowest circle of development he'll
Shenmue III: Seems to be coming along, but is eons away from release

FALSE GODS

Comparing this to DNF is too much, though i do enjoy the mental image of Yu Suzuki doing blow off the dash of his red Ferrari filled with strippers all purchased using the Kickstarter money, I know its not true.

Sega still can announce Sega Forever tho

I have a suspicion that the Shenmue remasters will be accessible through this service.

Top Bottom