• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 won't be at E3

Spaghetti

We may not be able to escape them but - at most - we can try and educate people on why this is a silly comparison to make.
Absolutely. Anybody with significant experience of both series (and yes, that means playing Shenmue II) will know they diverge a lot outside of common surface elements.

Prolly not a 2017 game
Oh most definitely now. Slightly surprised they're not announcing a delay alongside not showing up at E3, but I guess that's maybe too much bad news in one go.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Prolly not a 2017 game

Almost definitely not a 2018 game, either. As with all Kickstarter games I back, it'll be done when it's done. As a baseline I expect every game Kickstarter to deliver a year late (compared to the "Expected delivery" date on the KS campaign) at the earliest.

Randomizer

Some screencaps, because even though not showing at E3 is the thing getting talked about most in this thread it wasn't actually the main subject of the update.

NMWFs7V.jpg

X6NnICc.jpg

of37clV.jpg

cmL0AeL.jpg

I've always really liked Kenji Miyawaki's art on Shenmue anyway, so I'm pretty happy they're leaning heavily into his designs for the 3D models.

I'd have to guess the area they're testing the model in is their generic environment for doing physically based rendering checks.
Have they shown Ryo's updated model yet? Looks good for what basically amounts to a relatively low budget indie game. I really wish Sega funded it and gave them the budget and engine of Yakuza title. Perhaps if it sells well, we could see a higher budgeted sequel but not getting my hopes up. Either way just being able to get to finish out Ryo's journey after all these years is a literal dream come true.

RedRum

Banned
2 questions for all the negative people in this thread so everyone else can understand where they are coming from:

1. Why is it important for Shenmue 3 to be presented at this year's E3?
  2. If Shenmue 3 is delayed until next year Summer 2018, why is that a big deal to you?

I have a few questions for you.

1) Why is it negative or wrong to be frustrated that the status quo for games recently is reveal, delay, delay, delay, release? Especially when a release date has been set. Especially when the game is being funded by public money.

2) How do you know if it is just going to be delayed until Summer 2018?

3) Why is it not important to show real progress in a game and not just minute snippets?

Not can't. More like won't, but with reason. A select few have seen exclusive footage of the game last year, and the reports from them are that more work has been done than anything showcased so far.

YSnet are playing this out in the long term rather than the short term, and honestly I'd rather they focus on the game rather than getting something ready for a press conference. It almost certainly isn't coming out in 2017 now anyway, so none of this is unexpected. I would not be surprised when it eventually has a re-reveal that they just go "and it's out in six months, SEE YA" in a mic-drop moment.

I'm sorry but this is absurd. There are 6000+ backers who put their money to make the game possible. If there is more then they should show it in their updates to the people who put their money on the line, they owe it to us. We are 24 months into it and we have seen nothing, the updates are fairly inconsequential. I'm okay with the game being delayed, I expected that, but honestly I thought they would have shown something more meaty to the backers, and somebody anonymous saying things are much more advanced in an online forum even if they don't show it does not seem okay to me.

People don't realize the sheer amount of resources having *anything* ready for E3 consumes. Yes that means even a trailer. That they're directing all resources toward continued development speaks volumes to the managerial competence they're handling this project with.

Gestault

I have less faith in the project, as a result of this statement.

If you can't understand annoyance at there being no "mainstream ready" promotional material ready for this E3 given (1) the event's significance in the original project announcments and (2) the original stated timeline for the project, then your expectations are pathetically low. While I think people underestimate the effort behind promo materials in general, there's a corrolary that a group of professionals (even on a shoestring budget) should be able to produce polished, if not rudimentary, materials to show off that work for a large audience.

mortal

Gold Member
Vaporware.

Whether or not it was pressure from Sony, they had no business announcing that shit at E3 2015.

Spaghetti

I'm sorry but this is absurd. There are 6000+ backers who put their money to make the game possible. If there is more then they should show it in their updates to the people who put their money on the line, they owe it to us. We are 24 months into it and we have seen nothing, the updates are fairly inconsequential. I'm okay with the game being delayed, I expected that, but honestly I thought they would have shown something more meaty to the backers, and somebody anonymous saying things are much more advanced in an online forum even if they don't show it does not seem okay to me.
Don't get hyperbolic. Saying they've shown nothing is actually bullshit, and you know that. They have maintained an update schedule far more regular than many other Kickstarters have, and that's even without a media team on staff. They're not promotional videos, they're dev diaries.

The re-reveal will come, and it's probably closer than you think, but it's not going to happen before they're ready.

Have they shown Ryo's updated model yet? Looks good for what basically amounts to a relatively low budget indie game. I really wish Sega funded it and gave them the budget and engine of Yakuza title. Perhaps if it sells well, we could see a higher budgeted sequel but not getting my hopes up.
From the back, yes. No idea if it was complete though, there was a very prominent "assets are from older resources or tentative placeholders" etc label when they showed it, which is actually missing from this latest video. They're probably getting deeper into the process of finalising the art assets now.

MaulerX

Disappointed. If you're going to say the game won't be at E3 then you might as well announce the delay. Doesn't make sense to announce the Kickstarter at E3 only to skip it on the year of it's release.

Spaghetti

Vaporware.

Whether or not it was pressure from Sony, they had no business announcing that shit at E3 2015.
I don't think you know what that word means.

Also, use your head. Why would a KICKSTARTER GAME announce before development began? Come on. I've seen this sentiment so fucking much lately, and it's such a giant lapse of logic.

mortal

Gold Member
I don't think you know what that word means.

Also, use your head. Why would a KICKSTARTER GAME announce before development began? Come on. I've seen this sentiment so fucking much lately, and it's such a giant lapse of logic.
That's literally what they did at Sony's press conference. The game was in preproduction at best.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Are people really surprised by this? It`s a game funded on Kickstarter. Even games like Kingdom Come Deliverance was targeted for 2015, then pushed to 2016, and still has no release date.

Kieli

Game shows are a colossal drain on resources if developers need to make a vertical slice for demo or trailer.

Oftentimes, the game may not even be playable until late in the pipeline when all the disparate elements come together.

I mean, you guys have been waiting forever. What's an E3 or 2?

Randomizer

From the back, yes. No idea if it was complete though, there was a very prominent "assets are from older resources or tentative placeholders" etc label when they showed it, which is actually missing from this latest video. They're probably getting deeper into the process of finalising the art assets now.
Hmm...I see.
:p

Gestault

Disappointed. If you're going to say the game won't be at E3 then you might as well announce the delay. Doesn't make sense to announce the Kickstarter at E3 only to skip it on the year of it's release.

As much as it's frustrating to see play out, there's a totally reasonable dillemma when you know you need more time beyond an original release date, but you can't be sure enough how the calendar will play out.

If you just say "at a later date," you get hit with the stigma of "indefinite delay," or if you give something more specific arbitrarily, you're risking the appearance of multiple delays from just from the normal process of development. 2017 sounded waaaay too quick for a release date to me, but it's what they gave. I think not having any sort of "prime-time" material for the E3 of what's theoretically the game's release year has its own bad taste, though.

MaulerX

Are people really surprised by this? It`s a game funded on Kickstarter. Even games like Kingdom Come Deliverance was targeted for 2015, then pushed to 2016, and still has no release date.

Not sure why people are saying this as a way to justify this. How many Kickstarter games get announced at E3? This was announced at E3 for crying out loud and used by Sony in their conference as a bullet point to "win" it. It's only natural for people to feel disappointed.

Spaghetti

I have less faith in the project, as a result of this statement.

If you can't understand annoyance at there being no "mainstream ready" promotional material ready for this E3 given (1) the event's significance in the original project announcments and (2) the original stated timeline for the project, then your expectations are pathetically low. While I think people underestimate the effort behind promo materials in general, there's a corrolary that a group of professionals (even on a shoestring budget) should be able to produce polished, if not rudimentary, materials to show off that work for a large audience.
This is such a backwards way of looking at it, though.

Look, I think we all know at this point it means the game is getting delayed. It wasn't announced today, but it's probably coming down the line.

However, why the hell would they decide to blow their load now when they can just kick the can down the road to the next big event (idk, PSX?) and concentrate over the summer on working on the game?

Don't you prefer this approach to something like Final Fantasy 15? Where they debut with an advanced looking trailer, but takes over three and a half years to release despite multiple demos, trade show appearances, and whatever else. And they're still kind of developing the game on the fly through patches.

It's probably too much bad news in one go, when they're obviously trying to keep their heads down and just work. Make no mistake, there's a reason why this update is super brief; they're busy as fuck.

People don't realize the sheer amount of resources having *anything* ready for E3 consumes. Yes that means even a trailer. That they're directing all resources toward continued development speaks volumes to the managerial competence they're handling this project with.
Very true, though I think in this case it was a conscious decision to push the re-reveal further down the road rather than a resources issue. This feels like a long term choice of making hay while the sun is shining, or I guess to make use of the time now on what matters in the end product instead of trying to promote a game that almost certainly isn't going to release this year.

Hype can wait, development can't.

Trojan X

Banned

1) Why is it negative or wrong to be frustrated that the status quo for games recently is reveal, delay, delay, delay, release? Especially when a release date has been set. Especially when the game is being funded by public money.

3) Why is it not important to show real progress in a game and not just minute snippets?

Answer mine first, don't flip.

duckroll

Especially when the game is being funded by public money.

Public money would be taxpayer's money. This isn't a government project. Crowdfunding is private investment, as each contribution is made willingly by an individual in a private capacity.

Learn your definitions. :)

Spaghetti

That's literally what they did at Sony's press conference. The game was in preproduction at best.
Yes, that's the point. They had to announce to get funded, there was no way around it.

Is E3 the problem here? Because I'm absolutely certain the same lapses of logic would be happening from people unwilling to take the time to think no matter where it was revealed.

Ray Down

Banned
Some screencaps, because even though not showing at E3 is the thing getting talked about most in this thread it wasn't actually the main subject of the update.

NMWFs7V.jpg

X6NnICc.jpg

of37clV.jpg

cmL0AeL.jpg

I've always really liked Kenji Miyawaki's art on Shenmue anyway, so I'm pretty happy they're leaning heavily into his designs for the 3D models.

I'd have to guess the area they're testing the model in is their generic environment for doing physically based rendering checks.

Getting Gaston vibes.

Don't get hyperbolic. Saying they've shown nothing is actually bullshit, and you know that. They have maintained an update schedule far more regular than many other Kickstarters have, and that's even without a media team on staff. They're not promotional videos, they're dev diaries.

The re-reveal will come, and it's probably closer than you think, but it's not going to happen before they're ready.

It would be bullshit if I had said they have shown nothing, but what I actually said is that what they are showing seems fairly basic stuff considering we are 24 months into it. I understand things take time, but if they do have more stuff I don't quite understand that it's shown to a "select few" when the game is supposedly funded by the 6000+ backers who would like to know how the game is progressing. Not going to E3 is absolutely fine, I agree it's a huge drain on resources, but they do owe to the backers to show something more interesting if they have it.

Gestault

This is such a backwards way of looking at it, though.

Look, I think we all know at this point it means the game is getting delayed. It wasn't announced today, but it's probably coming down the line.

However, why the hell would they decide to blow their load now when they can just kick the can down the road to the next big event (idk, PSX?) and concentrate over the summer on working on the game?

Don't you prefer this approach to something like Final Fantasy 15? Where they debut with an advanced looking trailer, but takes over three and a half years to release despite multiple demos, trade show appearances, and whatever else. And they're still kind of developing the game on the fly through patches.

Like I said, pathetically low expectations. Your idea that any sort of standard-approach promo materials would be "blowing their load" is ludicrous. A Kickstarted game has the benefit of more flexibility in how open they can be with communications. I think if the reasonable-in-its-own-way reality of a delay is making sopmething like a traditional trailer impractical, saying "we're moving our expected ship date into at least the next year" needs to be part of the communication saying so. Otherwise, it raises a very rational question of why more polished materials aren't showing up so close to the tentative release date this year. This is the sort of communication gaffe that risks souring normal goodwill, especially from people who understand how insane any game development project is. If there's one thing a dev should be super open about, it's a revised production calendar with backers.

Getting Gaston vibes.

I dig the look of that model, even knowing aspects are WIP. I'm understanding more the style they're working toward, seeing the conversions from 2D to 3D. Shenmue thugs were some of my favorite "throw away" enemies in any series, and were surprisingly memorable, even over time.

The moment they show something as simple as a fucking street corner that looks "too rough", the entire fanbase and prospective customers will go into a panic. That's how fickle gamers are. They're smart not to show their hand too early, and yes too years is two early.

RedRum

Banned
Answer mine first, don't flip.

I pretty much did with my counter-questions. Having something to show other than developer diaries gives confidence. If you're going to come out with a reveal like that and then ask for money, I would hope that you at least give backers something to look forward to a few years down the road. I mean, am I really asking the impossible here? As for the delay, nothing we can do about that, but we are edging closer to release time and some people say it's on schedule and others say delay. You don't see a problem with that either?

Public money would be taxpayer's money. This isn't a government project. Crowdfunding is private investment, as each contribution is made willingly by an individual in a private capacity.

Learn your definitions. :)

Bad wording, DR. I meant kickstarter monies. Cut me some slack. :)

1. This is a new game from Yu Suzuki. Actually, that's probably underselling it. This is the next installment of Yu Suzuki's unfinished magnum opus.
2. We don't, but it's a game from Yu Suzuki and unless he's completely lost his touch any delays will be essential and lead to a better final result
3. They'll show it when it's ready

My answer to #1 is the essential one. Maybe Yu's lost his touch and the game is delayed forever or comes out incomplete or (...), but those outcomes would be a tragedy and not a scam. The dude is probably the greatest game dev of all time.

The moment they show something as simple as a fucking street corner that looks "too rough", the entire fanbase and prospective customers will go into a panic. That's how fickle gamers are. They're smart not to show their hand too early, and yes too years is two early.

If two years is too early then they shouldn't have set a date for December 2017. And I'm sorry, but this excuse is nonsense, if you don't want to show anything to gamers because they are too fickle then they should have found a way to not depend on those gamers to fund the game

Spaghetti

It would be bullshit if I had said they have shown nothing, but what I actually said is that what they are showing seems fairly basic stuff considering we are 24 months into it. I understand things take time, but if they do have more stuff I don't quite understand that it's shown to a "select few" when the game is supposedly funded by the 6000+ backers who would like to know how the game is progressing. Not going to E3 is absolutely fine, I agree it's a huge drain on resources, but they do owe to the backers to show something more interesting if they have it.
They were $10K backers, that's why.

I'm not going to put words in their mouths (because at least one $10K backer posts here and can speak for himself), but although the work done was far in excess of anything we've seen already, the trailer they saw was not ready for prime time and contained a lot of placeholder art assets. I would hazard a guess that what they saw was the blueprint for what we'll eventually all see when Shenmue III re-reveals properly in... anywhere in the next six months.

These sneak peeks weren't part of their reward but were treats at Yu Suzuki's discretion with people he believed he could trust would be able to keep in mind the footage was still early. That cannot be guaranteed with a wider public audience, and especially not with a press who have been, well, hostile to the project previously. There's no single reason why they're playing their cards so close to their chest like this, but it's a longer term strategy.

The issue is the give and the take. The fans want more, but the act of overplaying their hand could lead to spoiling something, making a promise that can't be kept, showing a feature that might get cut, or just getting raked over the coals in the media despite the incredibly clear disclaimer that the work is in-progress.

It's a shitty situation for everybody, not least YSnet, but - I guess the theory is that if they keep their heads down and work, and still provide a monthly update without giving away too much, then when it comes time to show the game they won't be in a compromised state of having to avoid showing certain sections of the game because they're not ready, or advancing art assets to near final (and risking a downgrade later), or pulling some Square Enix hocus pocus for a few cheap plaudits and momentary glory.

ZoddGutts

Didn't expect them to show Shenmue 3 this year, it hasn't even been in development for 2 years yet, it really started after the Kickstarter ended, even then it took some time to hire the current staff working on it now. Shenmue 3 if the same size of either of the first two games, it's going to take quite some time to make.

If two years is too early then they shouldn't have set a date for December 2017. And I'm sorry, but this excuse is nonsense, if you don't want to show anything to gamers because they are too fickle then they should have found a way to not depend on those gamers to fund the game
I hear you, but if you don't set deadlines you'll never come close to hitting them. That is how software development works.

The big studios are able to disguise this by either not announcing stuff until late in development or by hiring a ton of bodies and having them work 80+ hour weeks. (or: both)

Basically, any videogame project not on a AAA budget announced early in development is probably going to have an optimistic deadline, so expect delays. This includes almost all game kickstarters.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They need a lot more money.

They're not doing a very good job at marketing right now.

Back during the Dreamcast days we saw a lot of footage years before the release date. We even saw a lot of target renders, and a CG movie showing more of the story than we have seen in the games so far.

I'm worried.

Top Bottom