• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III Presentation - Magic Monaco - Feb 27th 9:25AM CET - New screens + video

Jcgamer60

Hopefully more colour corrections shall be done as the Shenhua house video looks a bit like Fable to me.

All in all it is a incredible this project is being produced.

tumblr_n8tqcqPhPB1thowlgo1_250.gif

kiyoaki

This actually looks a bit better than what I expected when I backed this project. Now let's see some more character animations!

epmode

Now that this is clearly happening , we really need a PC/console release of Shenmue 1 and 2. Emulation is decent but I've run into too many little annoyances to continue.

(Japanese voices pls)

Snaku

Banned
How?

I think it'll slip into 2018, but by all accounts they're still on track for December 2017 and they've got a surprising amount done in the six months they've already had.

Yeah, helps that they're not creating their own engine first. I think they're further along than most people expect.

It'll definitely be a 2018 game but to be honest they can take as long as they like. As long as they take their time and do the best job possible I'm in no rush after this long of a wait.

Spaghetti

It'll definitely be a 2018 game but to be honest they can take as long as they like. As long as they take their time and do the best job possible I'm in no rush after this long of a wait.
Well, there is a ticking clock element in that they've only got a limited amount of money to make the game with. I'd like them to take their time where needed, but no way should this inadvertently become the next Duke Nukem Forever.

December 2017 is the target release date. Yu and Cedric say they're on schedule, and I believe them given how far they've come in 6 months, but there's another 22 months of development and most Kickstarter games tend to slip a little from their release window.

As for scale, a non-linear game like Shenmue is hard to pin down in terms of average hours you would spend playing. I don't think the budget will drastically affect the game in that respect, honestly.

I'd say add another 6-12 months on to that release date. As you KNOW the date is to be delayed multiple times. I guarantee it.

Spaghetti

I'd say add another 6-12 months on to that release date. As you KNOW the date is to be delayed multiple times. I guarantee it.
You're a little late to the party on this, I've already said I don't think it'll hit 2017.

But I don't think it'll be delayed by a whole year, and I don't think we'll have a dumbass situation like with Might No. 9 where it gets delayed every few months.

Bl@de

Can you switch from PS4 to PC (physical tier)? I want it in 4k with 60fps when it releases :( Regret backing the PS4 version instead of PC

Spaghetti

Do people forget Yu Suzuki's tremendous talent for keeping games planned and controlled and on schedule?
Well, the original Shenmue slipped a few months way back when...

-but it's really just a crapshoot to talk about if it'll get delayed or not when there's a whole 22 months between now and the proposed release window.

Just enjoy the screens and videos people! Don't worry about the release until halfway through 2017.

Spaghetti

Kickstarter
You'll be able to specify what platform you want the game for when the Kickstarter rewards survey goes out. That'll be very close to release though, so it'll be awhile.

The PS4 physical has its own tier because a KS is unable to change the details of the reward once someone has pledged for it. Basically, any tier where you get the game physically or digitally will give you the option to pick your platform when the survey goes out in mid-late 2017.

Bl@de

You'll be able to specify what platform you want the game for when the Kickstarter rewards survey goes out. That'll be very close to release though, so it'll be awhile.

The PS4 physical has its own tier because a KS is unable to change the details of the reward once someone has pledged for it. Basically, any tier where you get the game physically or digitally will give you the option to pick your platform when the survey goes out in mid-late 2017.

That's great to hear. Thanks for the answer.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How?

I think it'll slip into 2018, but by all accounts they're still on track for December 2017 and they've got a surprising amount done in the six months they've already had.

Just seems like all they have is one field!

Spaghetti

Just seems like all they have is one field!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1398446

Second image down, you can see the rim of a tulou, which are a characteristic of the Baisha Village environment, so we know they're at least making steps in other environments.

Really though, it's probably a combination of staying their hand to keep some surprises back and just not having the other environments presentable. Nothing to worry about. We were never going to see absolutely everything they've been working on for six months.

Pif

Banned
I hope they take the due time to make this game really great. Don't mind waiting until 2018. It gotta be perfect.

Spaghetti

In the rush of pictures and video, the actual content of what Yu had to say there was lost a little. I'd like to bring some of that to the forefront, so we can have something a little different to talk about.

From Shenmue Dojo member Yokosuka providing a rough translation regarding what Yu said about the fighting system:

"I would like to get fights not too nervous like in Virtua Fighter, but more strategic with the use of the environment for instance. A lot of video game devs are working on. I really want physical chain reaction with falling elements and making fall other ones. I want to embed a mechanic where the enemies could find you and you could escape by leading them in a corridor to take them one by one instead fight all five of them at the same time which would be dangerous."

"In Shenmue I and II, I wanted to focus on the martial arts of North of China with their wide movements. In Shenmue III, it will be more South martial arts, more about the clinch, the velocity. I would like to put a lot of fights in close spaces like corridors or stairs."

"In very cinematographic video games like Shenmue, we often have combats like Virtua Fighter which are finally not very realistic. In Shenmue III, I want to be closer of realistic one of real life."
I've bolded a few interesting talking points.

The divide and conquer mechanic seems familiar to the 70 man battle at the end of the original Shenmue where you could split of the clusters of enemies by making them chase you to another part of the environment. I'd be really cool if they could pull it off and add a layer of strategy to the combat.

Also fights in tight spaces sounds pretty interesting. I'm guessing the counter system from the original games will be overhauled and play a huge part in this.

I'm in two minds over taking a further step away from Virtua Fighter. Shenmue's combat is a distant cousin anyway so fostering something more unique isn't a huge departure, but I fucking loooooove Shenmue II's faster, flashier one-on-one battles that ape the traditional Virtua Fighter format. Hopefully we get the best of both worlds.

I guess this is a good occasion to break out this old gif too...

iMgOfUf.gif

Top Bottom