• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III Presentation - Magic Monaco - Feb 27th 9:25AM CET - New screens + video

lawtowler

Still in complete disbelief over this. Shenmue 3 footage, I'm still waiting for something to go wrong. I just can't believe it's actually happening after all these years.

Mugen08

In the rush of pictures and video, the actual content of what Yu had to say there was lost a little. I'd like to bring some of that to the forefront, so we can have something a little different to talk about.

The divide and conquer mechanic seems familiar to the 70 man battle at the end of the original Shenmue where you could split of the clusters of enemies by making them chase you to another part of the environment. I'd be really cool if they could pull it off and add a layer of strategy to the combat.

Also fights in tight spaces sounds pretty interesting. I'm guessing the counter system from the original games will be overhauled and play a huge part in this.

I'm in two minds over taking a further step away from Virtua Fighter. Shenmue's combat is a distant cousin anyway so fostering something more unique isn't a huge departure, but I fucking loooooove Shenmue II's faster, flashier one-on-one battles that ape the traditional Virtua Fighter format. Hopefully we get the best of both worlds.

Thanks, this was more interesting than the footage. Agree about the fast-flow fighting in Shenmue II, it was the best part! So I also hope S3 does not step too far away from VF. Using environments sounds more like the Yakuza-series which Shenmue III hopefully should distinguish itself from. Ryo should mostly fight fair and not throw motorcycles on enemies. Maybe it is more environmental reactions as in Dead or Alive with walls and drops.

The footage, well, I have mentally given up getting the superior old-school Shenmue-logo, even though it explicitly says Sega in the copyrights-line. Very strange choice, but not the end of the world with the ugly-ass logo. It is very early so no reason to be too harsh, but still, very much stuttering despite not THAT good-looking. Perhaps they cranked some effects to unnecessary levels before the presentation. There was also a shot of Shenhua from the back that looked a bit weird, like disproportionate upper/lower body. Anyhow, the big one for me will be the first gameplay reveal. Trust YS Net are doing good overall progress. Shame Sega is not on the train because Yakuza 5 is a freaking master piece of a "old-school Sega love-letter". Shenmue III need imho only be a small fraction of the size of Yakuza 5 (which could've easily been sold as 2-3 separate games for that low price tag) IF it does it does very good.

Spaghetti

Thanks, this was more interesting than the footage. Agree about the fast-flow fighting in Shenmue II, it was the best part! So I also hope S3 does not step too far away from VF. Using environments sounds more like the Yakuza-series which Shenmue III hopefully should distinguish itself from. Ryo should mostly fight fair and not throw motorcycles on enemies. Maybe it is more environmental reactions as in Dead or Alive with walls and drops.

The footage, well, I have mentally given up getting the superior old-school Shenmue-logo, even though it explicitly says Sega in the copyrights-line. Very strange choice, but not the end of the world with the ugly-ass logo. It is very early so no reason to be too harsh, but still, very much stuttering despite not THAT good-looking. Perhaps they cranked some effects to unnecessary levels before the presentation. There was also a shot of Shenhua from the back that looked a bit weird, like disproportionate upper/lower body. Anyhow, the big one for me will be the first gameplay reveal. Trust YS Net are doing good overall progress. Shame Sega is not on the train because Yakuza 5 is a freaking master piece of a "old-school Sega love-letter". Shenmue III need imho only be a small fraction of the size of Yakuza 5 (which could've easily been sold as 2-3 separate games for that low price tag) IF it does it does very good.
I wouldn't give up on the logo. It still appears in Yu's slideshows and it was on the E3 reveal on the Sony stage. There's probably a reason why they don't use it regularly, but I have no doubts the final game will have the logo we all know.

As for the fighting stuff, I don't think we need to worry about it going too Yakuza-like. Yu has talked about the fighting being a mix between cinematic and realistic, which is in direct contrast to Yakuza's outright arcade brawler style fighting. It's still a ways off before we see it in action anyway, but it'd be nice to see a "one versus many" fighting system that isn't just ersatz version of the Batman combat like almost every other game.

Spaghetti

Here's some news coming out of Gameblog.

Excerpts of rough music ideas Yu played for the audience:

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/57108-decouvrez-des-musiques-inedites-de-shenmue-3/page2

The first one is apparently battle music, the second for a training scene with "30 people learning how to hit", and the third is a flute rendition of Shenhua's theme.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/57108-decouvrez-des-musiques-inedites-de-shenmue-3

This one is a version of the music in Shenmue II when
Shenhua finds the letter from her father in the cave with Ryo.

And here are previews of interviews with Yu Suzuki and Cedric Biscay that are due to go live tomorrow.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/57133-shenmue-iii-pourquoi-la-ps4-et-pas-la-xbox-one-cedric-biscay

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/57131-shenmue-iii-et-la-suite-yu-suzuki-fait-le-point-sur-le-nombr

A few translated bits from Shenmue Dojo user Yokosuka:

Yu's interview
J : You've been clear about the fact that Shenmue III will not conclude the complete story of the saga. But what will be the percentage of what remains to be told in Shenmue III ?
Yu Suzuki : The Shenmue story in its entirety will be normally divided, from the beginning to the end, into 11 chapters. Shenmue III will cover chapter 5 and 6.

Even a Shenmue 4 might not be enough to conclude the saga. Ideally, do you think a fifth or even a sixth episode would be necessary at this rate ?
YS : No, I wouldn't go that far ! Rather than going until Shenmue 6, I would like to rearrange things in order to reach the end sooner, even if it means to take some shortcuts... No I don't want to go until a sixth episode.

Five is the ideal ?
YS : I can't tell you more. Anyway I would like to especially focus on the third at the moment !

Cedric's interview:
Gameblog : We recently got an interview with Phil Spencer. He told us that he met Yu Suzuki before things have been settled with Sony, that some things happen and some other ones not, that all cannot be done. Then you reacted pretty curtly on Twitter. Can you tell more about what happened ?
Cédric Biscay : What it made me a bit annoyed is that he was like to say it was our fault. But it's not. Things haven't been made because he didn't have the arguments which would have make this possible. He didn't have the adequate offer to be considered.

So, he made you an offer but you found it inadequate ?
CB : Well in any case, the content of the discussions was not enough. At the timing level, they also woke up a bit late.

Then while you're discussing with Sony, you felt a lot more of enthusiasm ?
CB : Sony has immediately been a super partner. They wanted to do it. They proposed to do something exceptional at the E3. Like them or not, they really support Shenmue III.

Spaghetti

Triple post, but new information:

The Yu Suzuki and Cedric Biscay interviews are now up on Gameblog.

Some pretty interesting subjects are covered.

Yu -

- The story is 95% done, but none of the actual in-game content is finished as of now.
- He wishes to implement an advanced QTE system that incorporates elements of the FREE battle system, but doesn't know if he'll have enough development time to do so.
- Shenmue III takes place almost immediately after II. No time-skip as some people feared.
- Shenmue III will retain the detective style gameplay, but certain systems will evolve over time and change things up.

Cedric -

- If Shenmue III is a modest hit it'll likely ensure the future of the series, but it cannot be said for sure.
- Cedric's initial crazy idea for Shenmue III would be to make it for the Dreamcast, but it wouldn't be cost effective at all unless they sold each copy for a whole lot of money.
- Shenmue assets owned by SEGA require negotiation before they are used. (My theory: This likely includes the old logo, and the reason the Papyrus logo exists is to have a logo that can be used quickly without having to negotiate with SEGA)
- Kickstarter rewards all have prototypes, but the images won't be shared with backers for now.
- So far they don't have any plans to show off Shenmue III at E3 2016.

AHK_Hero

- Shenmue III takes place almost immediately after II. No time-skip as some people feared.

This has got to be one of the advantages of crowd funding this game. Yu can gear the game and story towards the people who put up their hard earned money towards making it a reality. Directly continuing the story is what I as a fan would want, but I imagine it might be a tough sell to a publisher hoping for a wider appeal.

Obviously it's still a commercial product which they hope will do well in the mass market, but I feel like the freedom of crowd funding makes it much easier to make a decision like this.

What a time to be alive.

Triple post, but new information:

The Yu Suzuki and Cedric Biscay interviews are now up on Gameblog.

Some pretty interesting subjects are covered.

Yu -

- The story is 95% done, but none of the actual in-game content is finished as of now.
- He wishes to implement an advanced QTE system that incorporates elements of the FREE battle system, but doesn't know if he'll have enough development time to do so.
- Shenmue III will retain the detective style gameplay, but certain systems will evolve over time and change things up.

Cedric -

- If Shenmue III is a modest hit it'll likely ensure the future of the series, but it cannot be said for sure.
- Cedric's initial crazy idea for Shenmue III would be to make it for the Dreamcast, but it wouldn't be cost effective at all unless they sold each copy for a whole lot of money.
- Shenmue assets owned by SEGA require negotiation before they are used. (My theory: This likely includes the old logo, and the reason the Papyrus logo exists is to have a logo that can be used quickly without having to negotiate with SEGA)
- Kickstarter rewards all have prototypes, but the images won't be shared with backers for now.
- So far they don't have any plans to show off Shenmue III at E3 2016.

Meaty interview. Can't fucking WAIT!

caleb1915

Was I the only 10 year old who started Iron Palming trees and tried to catch the leaves between my fingers after playing this game?

J : You've been clear about the fact that Shenmue III will not conclude the complete story of the saga. But what will be the percentage of what remains to be told in Shenmue III ?
Yu Suzuki : The Shenmue story in its entirety will be normally divided, from the beginning to the end, into 11 chapters. Shenmue III will cover chapter 5 and 6.

Even a Shenmue 4 might not be enough to conclude the saga. Ideally, do you think a fifth or even a sixth episode would be necessary at this rate ?
YS : No, I wouldn't go that far ! Rather than going until Shenmue 6, I would like to rearrange things in order to reach the end sooner, even if it means to take some shortcuts... No I don't want to go until a sixth episode.

Five is the ideal ?
YS : I can't tell you more. Anyway I would like to especially focus on the third at the moment !

Oh no, this is worrying me a bit.

Them having no plans to show off Shenmue III at E3 is a bit of a downer too (I'm sure it'll still show up in some way).

GavinGT

Banned
Them having no plans to show off Shenmue III at E3 is a bit of a downer too (I'm sure it'll still show up in some way).

It's not far enough along to show much of. Besides, would Sega even devote booth space to this game? I don't even know if they're making a cut of the profits.

What's worrying? They've been saying this since the beginning.

I don't recall them saying they were gonna cut content. I want them to stick to as close as the original vision as possible.

It's not far enough along to show much of. Besides, would Sega even devote booth space to this game? I don't even know if they're making a cut of the profits.

It obviously wouldn't be playable, but a nice new trailer at Sony's conference would be good to keep the hype train going.

Is Suzuki seriously not concluding the saga with this game? And he wants to go up to Shenmue 6?

Is he crazy?

WTF? Concluding the game with Shenmue III would be absolutely terrible. We're still only at the beginning of the story. I'd rather we not get Shenmue III at all if they were to rush the story and try to conclude it.

Give me the original vision damn it!

EDIT: He said he doesn't want to go up to Shenmue 6 by the way.

I hope everyone is keeping up to date with this thread from ShenmueDojo. Tons of great info!

7u21XDE.jpg

BONUS:

SEGA is doing a survey, flood them with Shenmue demand! Click here.

pGVi4MM.jpg

sn00zer

Im starting to get a bit suspicious as their media releases seem really similar to failed mod projects Ive seen in the past where the art assets are on point, but the actual gae implementation is far behind.

Spaghetti

Im starting to get a bit suspicious as their media releases seem really similar to failed mod projects Ive seen in the past where the art assets are on point, but the actual gae implementation is far behind.
It's only been six months and they're still in the prototyping stage.

Reading the Kickstarter updates from the later part of last year, we know they're testing several things such as: the camera, walking speed, reaction physics, combat, etc.

They just aren't ready to show the game like that yet, but they still have to give fans something.

RAIDEN1

Is it worth buying ShenMue 2 to play on the Xbox 360? Or are there big compatibility issues with it? Or is it best just to check out the longplays on Youtube for it?

Spaghetti

Is it worth buying ShenMue 2 to play on the Xbox 360? Or are there big compatibility issues with it? Or is it best just to check out the longplays on Youtube for it?
The 360 emulation is kinda spotty, but it's playable.

Some longplays are good (see: Gametrailers), but Shenmue is probably a game you should play for yourself.

You could just hold out and hope Sega re-releases the games. Plus emulation might be an option.

Was I the only 10 year old who started Iron Palming trees and tried to catch the leaves between my fingers after playing this game?

I was 15 when I played Shenmue and 16 when I played Shenmue II, I never tried Iron Palming a tree, but I did imitate the Tornado Kick and Elbow assault moves as best I could.

Never had the chance to play the first two games. I really hope SEGA releases a HD-collection, would really like to try them out - It can't be that hard to do, it's easy money.

Nicktendo86

Still kinda in disbelief that this is actually in production. The only videogame announcement to actually bring me to tears, that is how important this game is to me.

Is it at all possible that a Shenmue 4 or 5 could be produced? How is Shenmue 3 expected to sell? How did the first two games sell?

Is it at all possible that a Shenmue 4 or 5 could be produced? How is Shenmue 3 expected to sell? How did the first two games sell?

the original games sold well but were over budgeted

shenmue 3 will sell well but again, its going to be about total profits not just revenue

Top Bottom