• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Halo 6 keep or remove sprinting?

Gestault

My post you quoted was sarcasm because it looked like you said that clamber is a good mechanic since it makes it harder for a sniper to watch a "predictable" path. That to me sounds like a problem with the sniper rifle and utility weapon (and coincidentally, movement speed), and it's not something that needs to be solved with another mechanic. That's like adding the hardlight shield back to the game, or worse - giving players plasma pistols off of spawn to balance the vehicles.

No. I said clamber lets the level designer more easily break line-of-sight without preventing players from crossing that divide. It's about limiting the influence of sniper-range suppression on maps, to allow safer zones for close and mid-range face-offs.

I'm fine with Halo 5. Also, it would be counterproductive to change the formula again.
The curent formula is fine, put your efforts on the campaign 343.

Trup1aya

No. I said clamber lets the level designer more easily break line-of-sight without preventing players from crossing that divide. It's about limiting the influence of sniper-range suppression on maps, to allow safer zones for close and mid-range face-offs.

I'm not sure I follow you. The mechanic really just removes the margin of error associated with tricky jumps, and reduces the level designers ability to anticipate how players move through a map.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I don't just understand what this has to do with sniping.

I think there's a happy medium that can be reached in terms of movement in Halo 6. People don't like sprint as it doesn't jive with classic map design, firefights get too hectic when respawning players sprint back, and it puts the player's weapon down. I think those are all valid criticisms, other arguments say Halo loses its uniqueness with sprint, which is equally important when there's so much competition. So I say do away with sprint, while I don't mind it, I'd be perfectly happy to go back to a more "classic" movement system. I do think the base movement speed should be increased, maybe as fast or faster than CE. We'd have faster paced gameplay without some of the negatives of sprint, what they absolutely should not do is return to the molasses movement that was Halo 3. In terms of other movement mechanics, the thruster is the best thing that happened to Halo since the CE pistol. It's something that adds to 1 on 1 engagements, it can be anticipated and it can be used strategically in fulfilling ways . Thruster doesn't break classic map design in a way sprint does. You could have a Lockout remake with thrusters, that's a lot more difficult with sprint+thrusters. Spartan charge is wildly unpopular, it's also tied to sprint so its removal would make sense. Sliding would be another movement feature to remove, it really doesn't add much to Halo 5 besides sliding under the doors on Fathom. Ground pound is dumb fun, it's telegraphed and easy to avoid, I see no reason for its removal, with or without clamber they could have verticality for its use.

I think this with Halo 5's top tier gunplay would yield positive impressions.

Halo 1-3 had the best gameplay, with 3 having a great sandbox but several mechanical shortcomings (speed, fov, acceleration, bullet spread).

So what you're saying is Halo 3 didn't have a great sandbox. Those are some big issues that can't be brushed off. Halo 3 had the worst gunplay in the series and its mechanics sucked too. The addition of equipment slowed down an already slow experience.

jg4xchamp

I can't say I would be bothered either way.

No Sprint Halo

Cool, we get old, classic trilogy Halo back. Hopefully in the vein of Halo 2, and not the lesser Halo 3 (fight me). I want hitscan BR, and yeah I'm sure we won't get those button combos back even if those animation cancels added some cool stuff to the skill ceiling of Halo.

The benefit of no sprint Halo is that we all have a neutral position where we can move n shoot 100% of the time, which naturally has its benefits. HIt n run melee tactics are less likely a thing, and so long as the melee lung isn't serious it's all gravy. Maps can be shortened to compensate for mp needs. And I think you can easily just put sprint in the SP if need be, so long as the mp doesn't have it.

No thruster n clamber (because they gotta go as well if you are doing classic Halo) means that trick jumps can be back in the game. Which is nice.

But to me it would be a band-aid on the problem. I was pretty Halo'd out, hell I still am even with the changes in 5, and going back to a style of game that I do love (because I do love Halo 2, custom games halo 2 still is a blast) is just giving me something I already got. And I do want new things, and the franchise going back to a model that's gonna feel old, stale, n slow isn't exactly my idea of a fix.

Keep Sprint n all that jazz

Eh, I actually really like the core combat of Halo 5, For my money, mechanically it's the best Halo. The movement feels great, the thruster strafe adds to the skill ceiling of br n magnum battles, and it does make you feel quicker than the older Halos. In fact a lot of what 5 gets right is game feel. You feel mobile, you feel powerful, guns are loud n meaty.

I was happy that Automatic stuff was actually fucking useful, because as much as I love Halo 2. Smg starts were bullshit, and AR starts in Halo 3 are mega bullshit. But Halo 5's AR/Pistol starts? fuck yeah, you can out duel plenty of people with that magnum (though I would like some slayer brs), and the AR has more practical uses than it usually has had in this series.

Halo 5's real problems was that we were sold an unfinished video game, again.

We didn't get BTB until a month later, we didn't get Forge until a month or two later, we didn't get a working theater mode, our BTB maps were all forge maps with lower quality assets as opposed to warzone maps being proper dev maps.

Way too many of the maps are remixed versions of maps already in the game, which visually makes the game feel dull, and as far as providing me a fucking game feels like a cost efficient move for lesser quality design.

I wasn't a fan of how pro-centric the game got that we dropped any pretense of trying asymmetrical maps.

Yeah Halo 5 maps can't be classic halo maps, blah blah blah, but no where does enhanced mobility mean the maps need to be as visually or creatively dull as they are either.

If anything Halo 6 is an opportunity for 343 n Microsoft to get their shit together, buckle down, and actually take their sweet time so at least in terms of feature set n content Halo 6 is complete at launch so we can see how Halo 5's mechanics really would have done if the game wasn't released all early access style.

That said, again, I just wish something fresher and more interesting was done with the series. And in the case of the maps, as much as I don't think Bungie are great level designers (Halo 2's excellent map roster not withstanding), nothing 343 has done makes me think they could make maps up to par with some of my favorite Bungie maps.

Not the least of which is because other than Halo 5's core mechanics, I think 343 has done everything else worse than Bungie. And I mean just about everything else.

Clamber breaks maps more than Sprint, but nobody will ever admit it. You can play every previous Halo map with Sprint and it'll simply play worse. But if you throw Clamber into the mix, all the paths would become irrelevant.
I don't necessarily feel any way about clamber

I would prefer it to be removed. I feel like it would benefit map design overall.

Take it back to the old school movement.

No charge
No ground pound
No thrust
No sprint
No clamber
No slide

I get that Halo 5 plays well, and generally it does. And people like all the new movement options, again, that's fine.

But to a lot of people it's not really Halo anymore. At least for me. If they took halo back to its roots I'd be back playing halo again.

Remove, and increase base movement speed to Halo 1 levels or higher. (But I'm sure they won't do this.)

So instead let us shoot our weapons while we sprint like a supersoldier. The compromise.

While I have no feelings one way or the other, I lent my Xbox One to a local convention two weeks ago and when setting it up one of the volunteers fired up Halo 1 and instantly asked how do you sprint.

"Oh, it doesn't have sprint. They added it in the fifth game."
"Oh that's old and lame."

And they stopped playing.
Very fascinating.

Yu Furealdo

It was fine in 5, but if they were to remove it, the base speed should be similar to Halo CE or faster. Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer are almost unplayable for me because of how slow they are.

EDIT: Seems a lot of others have this stance as well lol

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Make the movement speed fast as Doom 2016 and I'd be ok with removing it, otherwise keep it.

I'd even settle for :

Warzone/campaign/firefight: having all modern halo movement options like in 5

Arena/multiplayer: having old school basic movement with an increase to walking speed.

This would be perfect imo.

I don't think I'll play Halo 6 if its like Halo 5 on regards to movement etc

JHall

Bring back Halo 1-3 gameplay. No ADS, sprint, clamber, thruster pack, etc. Give me that medium paced arena shooter I used to love.

Get rid of sprint and increase the base movement. Also get rid of Spartan Charge.

Ground pound and clamber are fine. Thrusters I'm still iffy about, if it got removed I wouldn't mind.

Top Bottom