• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Halo 6 keep or remove sprinting?

Monocle

Bollocks, i hate CoD gameplay (and cannot enjoy Titanfall as a consequence), Halo 5 is NOTHING like CoD. If it was, itd suffer the same fate as Titanfall for me.

OP - Halo 5 is the best Halo has ever been in terms for movement and gunplay, clamber added a whole new level of dynamism which i cant do without.

Keep it, keep all of H5. Work on the gameplay scenarios and world design.
Yep. All of this.

khaaan

I admittedly don't know anything about Halo but what are the map size like in the game because I don't necessarily see Overwatch as a good comparison. There is no "sprint button" for people other than Soldier 76 but a large number of characters have mobility options made available to them.

Genji, Tracer, Junkrat, Widow, D. Va, Rein, Winston, Lucio, and Mercy have the ability to cover ground quickly though Mercy has the quirk of needing someone target. Pharah can fly, Sombra can teleport huge distances, Reaper has his wraith form, McCree can roll and Zenyatta gets a speed buff when he uses his ult. Many of these abilities can be used to get back into the fray quicker (some clearly better than others) or be used in combat situations itself.

Going back to the fact that I know nothing about Halo, maybe whether or not Overwatch is a good example doesn't matter. If the structure of Halo is smaller maps with more action or the game sufficiently provides you with mobility options either through vehicles, teleporters and what have you, then a sprint ability might not be necessary.

jet1911

There was a lot of wrong about Halo 5 but the core movements mechanics were not a part of it. More mobility options is always a good thing.

gweemz

Replaying MCC after Halo 5 has made me miss sprint. I don't care if ground pound and shoulder bash go away, but halo 5 has the best movement mechanics in the series.

Noobcraft

Keep. It's the stupidest thing ever to see MC sprinting around in single player cutscenes when he can't actually run in gameplay.

I admittedly don't know anything about Halo but what are the map size like in the game because I don't necessarily see Overwatch as a good comparison. There is no "sprint button" for people other than Soldier 76 but a large number of characters have mobility options made available to them.

Genji, Tracer, Junkrat, Widow, D. Va, Rein, Winston, Lucio, and Mercy have the ability to cover ground quickly though Mercy has the quirk of needing someone target. Pharah can fly, Sombra can teleport huge distances, Reaper has his wraith form, McCree can roll and Zenyatta gets a speed buff when he uses his ult. Many of these abilities can be used to get back into the fray quicker (some clearly better than others) or be used in combat situations itself.
It's a matter of perception I'd say. In Halo, everyone has sprint so it's frequently used, whereas in OW not everyone has these mobility options and those that do are on a cool down. But yeah, generally speaking you have a good point.
Going back to the fact that I know nothing about Halo, maybe whether or not Overwatch is a good example doesn't matter. If the structure of Halo is smaller maps with more action or the game sufficiently provides you with mobility options either through vehicles, teleporters and what have you, then a sprint ability might not be necessary.
Yup, if you design the game around not needing sprint, it should be fine.

MysteryM

I want it to stay so that we can have huge maps like the Warzone ones again.

I want sprinting to go so that we can have vehicle combat back in normal slayer. Given the choice between halo 5 or halo 2\3 multiplayer I'd go 2\3 every time, as sprinting reduces the time to get back to friends in trouble and hence changes the way the game feels.

Back in the day, I remember holding strategic points on the pit in halo 3, or the base areas on snowbound, but those days are gone. Sprint has broken that to some degree. The biggest thing for me is to get back to the maps of old that I love, and play them how I remember playing them. Now, I should add that halo 5 is still our multiplayer game of choice, we regularly rank up to high diamond and onyx on our lowly British latent connections, so I do enjoy it immensely and it was a correcting step for 343 from the multiplayer of halo 4.

It's just a different game to halo 2\3, in the same way that halo reach was. Take out sprint and evolve the multiplayer gameplay back toward the direction that halo 3 was taking. That's my view as someone who has played halo multiplayer since day one.

Trup1aya

Wow. For someone who doesn't know anything about halo, you sure hit the nail on the head.

The Sprint mechanic is only "neccisary" for the illusion of speed. But there are better ways to make players "feel" fast besides creating a mechanic that is actually restrictive and harmful to engadgements.

When you are sprinting you can't shoot. When you aren't sprinting you aren't moving at the speed the maps are designed for. It's run OR gun instead of run and gun. Which leads to annoying standoffs has players keep transitioning back and forth.

Keep. It's the stupidest thing ever to see MC sprinting around in single player cutscenes when he can't actually run in gameplay.

1) Gameplay shouldn't be based around cutscenes
2) the issue with sprint isn't that people don't want chief running. People have issues with the sprint mechanic- have to sacrifice Chiefs ability to shoot/throw grenades in order to run- which actually slows down engagements

This is also stupid using your "cutscene metric" as these are not limitations Spartans are actually subject to.

mcrommert

Banned
I want sprinting to go so that we can have vehicle combat back in normal slayer. Given the choice between halo 5 or halo 2\3 multiplayer I'd go 2\3 every time, as sprinting reduces the time to get back to friends in trouble and hence changes the way the game feels.

Back in the day, I remember holding strategic points on the pit in halo 3, or the base areas on snowbound, but those days are gone. Sprint has broken that to some degree. The biggest thing for me is to get back to the maps of old that I love, and play them how I remember playing them. Now, I should add that halo 5 is still our multiplayer game of choice, we regularly rank up to high diamond and onyx on our lowly British latent connections, so I do enjoy it immensely and it was a correcting step for 343 from the multiplayer of halo 4.

It's just a different game to halo 2\3, in the same way that halo reach was. Take out sprint and evolve the multiplayer gameplay back toward the direction that halo 3 was taking. That's my view as someone who has played halo multiplayer since day one.

It worked in halo 3 because the movement was so slow...no one will ever accept movement that slow again.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I can't imagine it's going away and I'm not sure I want it to. On one hand, being able to move and shoot, all at one speed, would be great. More tightly designed maps are an obviously plus. I'm also for streamlining/simplifying game mechanics rather than constantly adding more to a sequel. But I also like the trade-off of deciding when to sprint vs when to shoot and the movement tied to sprint, such as sliding and slide techniques, that I'm not sure how you would incorporate without sprint.

But I hear all the time that sprint is the cause of halo's "death", so apparently this can save it. So yeah, Sprint is trash.

Dipswitch

I say keep it. It makes sense from a lore perspective and it's not detrimental to game play IMO. It's something I expect in FPS' now and it's missed in the earlier installments when I replay those. I don't play MP, so I'll leave the argument about removing it there to others.

As for the other moves, I don't have a strong opinion either way.

I honestly believe sprint is one of the factors that made me fall out of live with Halo.

It just never felt right. Tacked on for cod players to feel comfortable.

Take the sprint out. Classic maps could then be usable in 6. Flow of combat is better when you can't just run away when low Shields.

Halo is not overwatch. Having master chief at a steady fast pace after playing halo 5 sounds so backwards to me. I love Halo and I loved Halo 2 multiplayer but Halo 5 is halo multiplayer perfection imo

levyjl1988

Banned
I like sprint in Destiny. I think Destiny nailed it. It should be kept as a standard. I find it difficult for Spartans not to sprint. You'll be dividing two camps. Its already in.

Overwatch doesn't need sprint otherwise it would complicate the controls, it needs to be accessable. That is why we have Tracer's blink and Sombra's increases run speed when invisible.

Gestault

I think they should remove sprinting so they can focus on making smaller maps where the action is never too far away.

Which would be at odds with a lot of the traditional map designs in classic Halo games.

I'm in the camp that thinks the movement mechanics in Halo 5 are pretty much ideal for Halo. I think bringing up Doom and Overwatch for a topic as simple as sprint shows a superficial understanding each game's systems. Doom's core movement is itself effectively a run, and Overwatch hero mechanics are often built around variations in movement speed and traversal options.

jem0208

Go back to 30FPS

13KeW7.gif

EBreda

Keep it and most Halo 5 gameplay mechanics. Game plays super fine. Problem with Halo 5 are IMO uninspired maps, atrocious story/delivery, focus on Locke.

Bring on Halo 6.

As someone who's favorite FPS used to be Halo, and is now Overwatch, using Overwatch's lack of sprint as proof that a modern shooter doesn't need it is ridiculous. It's a completely different game. Of course Genji doesn't need sprint. Of course Reinhardt doesn't need sprint. Of course D.va doesn't need sprint she can fuckin fly. Some people man.

HiiiLife

I honestly believe sprint is one of the factors that made me fall out of live with Halo.

Take the sprint out. Classic maps could then be usable in 6. Flow of combat is better when you can't just run away when low Shields.

The radar in 5 felt useless when people could sprint out of the radius in a nanosecond.

Halo is dead.

Halofield is the new hotness, where Spartans fly down slopes, talk about killing the Covenant like it's another day at the office, and skate around war games simulations with their turbo enhanced mighty morphin super suits because amateur level designers would rather design free flowing kindergarten arenas and throw textures on top of them than design thematic and profound playspaces. Truly, gone are the days of stellar level design and tactical gameplay, replaced by instant gratification and the illusion of power and speed.

Sprint is just one drop in a bucket of festering stupidity, but it's not going to be removed because half of what's left of the Halo population doesn't see the problem with defensive abilities, or will vehemently deny it is a problem, and instead a "preference".

Ya'll enjoy your dumbed down arena shooter full of edgey abilities and "balanced" (homogenous) weapons.

op_ivy

As someone who's favorite FPS used to be Halo, and is now Overwatch, using Overwatch's lack of sprint as proof that a modern shooter doesn't need it is ridiculous. It's a completely different game. Of course Genji doesn't need sprint. Of course Reinhardt doesn't need sprint. Of course D.va doesn't need sprint she can fuckin fly. Some people man.

So, remove sprint but add in the (Spartan) ability to fly? Jetpacks!
I know this isn't what you are asking for

Trup1aya

I say keep it. It makes sense from a lore perspective and it's not detrimental to game play IMO. It's something I expect in FPS' now and it's missed in the earlier installments when I replay those. I don't play MP, so I'll leave the argument about removing it there to others.

As for the other moves, I don't have a strong opinion either way.

It actually makes no sense from a lore perspective, because Spartans are more than capable of running fast and shooting at the same time.

People need to separate the inclusion of the ability to run and the inclusion of a "sprint mechanic". The latter of which restricts your combat capabilities in exchange for movement speed.

Which would be at odds with a lot of the traditional map designs in classic Halo games.

I'm in the camp that thinks the movement mechanics in Halo 5 are pretty much ideal for Halo. I think bringing up Doom and Overwatch for a topic as simple as sprint shows a superficial understanding each game's systems. Doom's core movement is itself effectively a run, and Overwatch hero mechanics are often built around variations in movement speed and traversal options.

And that's what people want out of a sprintless halo. A Base movement speed that is effectively a run. No need for two speeds, one of which restricts your combat options. Halo is best as a run AND gun shooter, not run or gun.

Clamber breaks maps more than Sprint, but nobody will ever admit it. You can play every previous Halo map with Sprint and it'll simply play worse. But if you throw Clamber into the mix, all the paths would become irrelevant.

jem0208

It actually makes no sense from a lore perspective, because Spartans are more than capable of running fast and shooting at the same time.

People need to separate the inclusion of the ability to run and the inclusion of a "sprint mechanic". The latter of which restricts your combat capabilities in exchange for movement speed.

If they can run fast and still shoot why can't they run even faster?

I don't actually think this is a reasonable argument for sprint, but if you are going to consider lore then it makes sense.

Clamber breaks maps more than Sprint, but nobody will ever admit it.

Depends what you consider "broken" to be. You might not like H5's maps but they're not broken.

If they can run fast and still shoot surely they can run even faster and no be able to shoot?

I don't actually think this is a reasonable argument for sprint, but if you are going to consider lore then it makes sense.

Depends what you consider "broken" to be.

Going anywhere from anywhere, making gameplay unpredictable, making pathing irrelevant, and giving players instant vertical positioning for virtually no risk, the only tradeoff being "you can't shoot for half a second while you do it."

And then designing maps with clamber spots, like the abomination known as Truth. Only 343 can take a perfect map and make it worse in every single way.

jem0208

Going anywhere from anywhere, making gameplay unpredictable, making pathing irrelevant, and giving players instant vertical positioning for virtually no risk, the only tradeoff being "you can't shoot for half a second while you do it."

And then designing maps with clamber spots, like the abomination known as Truth. Only 343 can take a perfect map and make it worse in every single way.

You say all that, but then why does Halo 5 still play really fucking well?

Oh wait, maybe it is based on personal preference?

mcrommert

Banned
You can have fast movement without adding sprint. See: Doom, Quake, Unreal etc.

You are naming old franchises that have failed as multiplayer shooters in the modern era...why would halo want to follow them to the grave?

Go back to 30FPS and remove sprinting. Halo had a specific pace and feel to it that 343i has completely lost.

How is this a thing any single person is for? Lets make the game worse because i'm nostalgic for pig slop

wtf

Sephzilla

I'd actually make a bigger push to get Halo closer to its roots. No aim-down-sights, no sprinting, no classes. Go back to that old school Halo formula. It would help Halo stand out from Battlefield and COD and honestly I think the old school formula can still work with a few minor tweaks.

The Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer in Master Chief Collection actually had a lot of what I wanted. And when the game actually worked, it was glorious.

Blueblur1

Sprinting is the least of Halo 5's problems. I think Halo 6 has greater issues to tackle like repetitive and uninsured sound design, map design, and lack of signature gameplay modes.

op_ivy

You say all that, but then why does Halo 5 still play really fucking well?

Oh wait, maybe it is based on personal preference?

He already made a definitive statement that it is not. Duh

Top Bottom