• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2014 Edition

ViciousDS

Banned
I have a really small room....after I buy a new car this year and build a new PC I'm finding a nice apartment lol

gydgCTj.jpg

BONDO

Dont care what a Dr says or a gamer.....playing on a large screen so close def hurts ur eyes after a few hours.
Longterm damage....no idea. Short term dry eyes and fatigue...yep

Is it worth it? debatable lol

Sky Chief

Dont care what a Dr says or a gamer.....playing on a large screen so close def hurts ur eyes after a few hours.

Not if you have it properly calibrated and remember to blink

Shawsie64

Banned
1508191_10151967489268611_723551319_n.jpg

Just finished up painting my projector screen and sorting out the border the other week. 140" diagonal image. Doesn't match my plasma in blacks (to be expected) but everything else is great. 1080P 3D projector hooked up to my gaming PC. Next upgrade is some nice Krix speakers.

(excuse the shitty ipad camera shot. Haven't gotten around to taking decent pictures with something being projected yet, mainly due not having a camera decent enough to do the experience justice)

Edit: Here's an old picture just projected onto a off white wall that gives a somewhat good indication of size albeit without a proper border and slightly skewed. I used black velcro as a border initially as a stop gap until I had everything mounted, painted and setup. The colors and contrast are a million times better now and the image completely square with a neutral 8.5 balanced grey screen is phenomenal to game on.

1551686_10151967509113611_1272789560_n.jpg

xJavonta

Banned
The 2013 thread is why I joined GAF after lurking for I'm sure @ least 10 years. Lol.

Anyway, I live in downtown Chicago somewhere around here:
http://i.imgur.com/ovLTUXEl.jpg[/]

I use this laptop for EMUs (and OTA TV, Netflix, Hulu and streaming. I'm a chord cutter...). Which sits next to my Wii U currently.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/exd92FZl.jpg[/]

They connect to this projector:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fRDawsEl.jpg[/]

Which projects TV, games, web, ect. To this 100 inch screen:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/NQskzisl.jpg[/]

My games and handhelds are concealed in these bins as I have a 2 year old ...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/rfs4GeZl.jpg[/]

And the sound comes from this simple sound bar:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/h8ac6n5l.jpg[/][/QUOTE]
Pretty sure I know where that is! Northern Illinois gaf represent

[quote="BONDO, post: 96157846"][B]Dont care what a Dr says[/B] or a gamer.....playing on a large screen so close def hurts ur eyes after a few hours.

Is it worth it? debatable lol[/QUOTE]

Oh wow lol

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

It's always a good idea to trust GAF and anecdotal evidence over the knowledge of medical professionals.

Shawsie64

Banned

Only fatigue I get is when the air conditioning is on full blast and my eyes get dry and I game on a 140" screen.

BONDO

You guys sure took that pretty serious. lol
Regardless, i just know how MY eyes get after sitting at the office PC for long hours.
To a lesser extent my tv at home...maybe im just sensitive.

Shawsie64

Banned
Is it good to go ahead with the default settings on this?

Up to you really, I have mine set to 3500K all day, every day at work. Really helps minimize eye strain. You can also set it to automatic but I prefer the 3500K for my daytime work monitor.

Xamdou

Feck it, posted in the ass-end of the last thread, may as well post here!

sidephoto.JPG

front3.JPG

sidephoto2.JPG

Sharp Aquos LC-50LE650E LED
Media PC (C2D E8400, 8GB, GeForce 9500GT, 3x 1TB HD's, Antec NSK-2480)
Logitech X-540 speakers
Wii
Wii U
XBox 360
SNES

We've got an extension cable running to the side of the couch, so we can hook our laptops up to it when in the living room. There's also a long USB cable with hub connected to the media pc so we can launch Steam in Big Picture Mode and play away. Also sitting there is a Wii U gamepad and wiimote charger, and for some reason my flatmate's laptop sitting precariously atop some graphic novels.

I have the same exact Logitech PC speakers as you, how did you hook it up to multiple devices?

Josam27o7

Neo Member
Sigh i really envy us gaffer house..
In Milan i live in a condo (house of 120sqm) near mediaset..
In southern Italy i live in 90 (and 110 terrace) in Trani....

I might move to the netherlands, but their crazy ass small house...
Same in the uk...
United states has dem big house that make me remember when i loved with my parents in our smallish villa (400ish sqm + garden)..
We then moved to a condo in the center to ease us going to school (the villa was at good 10km from our school or the city...).. We use that as summer home for me and M esisterà when we get back to southern Italy from time to time...
I REALLY would love to have big spaces and all, but at least in Italy there's scantly any real possibility..

Even your flat, like tabris's, are glorious in the us..
In Milan they ask you 1k eur per month for some lame ass 90mq not even in the duomo or similar area..
Used to stay in lambrate paying 800 for 70mq, till i moved near Mediaset, outside Milan...

Why would anyone work for Berlusconi?... No, I understand, economies have collapsed, people are desperate. I grew up in the US, but my father is from Italia. Don't think there are many big spaces available in the US. Most of the population in the US is poor/in debt (college and health care costs a lot of money in the US). Only a small percentage of people live like that. The US is the most unequal society in the western world.

bananas

Banned
Seeing all these awesome setups caused me to rearrange my own. Still looks like shit compared to a lot of others, but I like it.

jRTGpn9Qa851a.JPG

jMFWNYX1oyQog.JPG

jboqqRED3qUrhJ.JPG

jbcZG68K7HLNru.JPG

jb1ECVtHvwe8vi.JPG

360's not actually connected. My PS3 is in the living room. Mainly been using PC, Xbone, and iPad mini as my gaming devices.

@Shawsie64

are you sure that your screen is 140" when my screen is 135"? looks a little bit smaller on the photo. My screen is 300 by 169cm.

1508191_10151967489268611_723551319_n.jpg

6jnnd9pl.jpg

tsjqftsd.jpg

more pics on page 2. Maybe it's just the photo.

Beside that you can get much better black with darker walls and a good screen for your projector. A white wall is not the best solution. The gain is probably way under 1.0 which gives you a bad contrast on a white wall. The black level of my JVC X30 in my room on a gain 1.0 screen is much better than on every plasma. It also depends on the projector but you can get a much better picture with darker walls and a better screen.

XyWRtUT.jpg

Nothing has changed in the past 3 years, well the PS3 has gone and I'm borrowing an Xbox One.

Opened the blind for the first time in months to take the photo, had no idea what a dusty shit hole the room had become.

WOOOOOOOOO Projector GAF unite!

I'll post up some of my old setup, since we had moved... I'm currently planning for the new space. I'll be doing it from scratch again...

elfinke

Have a fair bit of cable management still to do, and my PJ is not permanently installed (old house, no power in the ceiling... long story), but I'll grab some photos later and chuck them in here. It's not a patch on those dedicated setups - I've too many compromises to allow such a thing - but it a decent example of what can be done in small space for little coin.

How comfy is the Eames Chair? I was thinking about getting an homage of it, and I wanted to know how comfy it was before taking the plunge.

If anyone else has any input I'd love to hear as well.

You didn't want to, know you, test it out at a store first?

Shawsie64

Banned
@Shawsie64

are you sure that your screen is 140" when my screen is 135"? looks a little bit smaller on the photo. My screen is 300 by 169cm.

more pics on page 2. Maybe it's just the photo.

Beside that you can get much better black with darker walls and a good screen for your projector. A white wall is not the best solution. The gain is probably way under 1.0 which gives you a bad contrast on a white wall. The black level of my JVC X30 in my room on a gain 1.0 screen is much better than on every plasma. It also depends on the projector but you can get a much better picture with darker walls and a better screen.

Your setup is nice! :)

Yeah its hard to get a good picture to show its proper size but I have measured it, also I wish I had a decent camera. My blacks are great now. Before projecting onto an off white wall was just a stop gap until I got everything setup. I calculated my paint to be a N8.5 Black Widow screen before painting it. Mix was 960ml Vivid Matte White with 240ml Auto-Air Aluminium Base Fine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Widow_(paint_mix)).

Those speakers underneath the screen are floorstanders don't you know!

They are soon to be my rear speakers, these should be on the way soon. Early days as just bought the house 4 months ago, still far too many boxes left unpacked. One day my home theater will be complete, one day!

http://www.krix.com.au/harmonix-mk2.html

maks

How comfy is the Eames Chair? I was thinking about getting an homage of it, and I wanted to know how comfy it was before taking the plunge.

IMO it looks better than it feels. I've tried it out for about ten minutes at one time. I have herniated lumbar discs so it wasn't for me. Definitely something you want to sit in for several minutes when trying it out....read a book or imagine yourself watching TV.

I'm mostly a retro gamer but this is the setup for my Xbox 360/Wii combo. I'll be replacing them with a PS4 and Wii U sometime this year.

IMG_0328_zps7c75647b.jpg

Set: 40" Sharp Aquos
Surround sound via Sony 5.1 unit

Oh and yeah, that's a GameCube to the left.

Most of the time I play this.

Nintendo64.jpg

Dude, it's amazing. I sleep in the thing all the time. It's incredibly comfortable and supportive. I can't speak to the homages of it, but I love my Eames chair. They just have great ergonomic design.

Dude, it's amazing. I sleep in the thing all the time. It's incredibly comfortable and supportive. I can't speak to the homages of it, but I love my Eames chair. They just have great ergonomic design.

If I had something that comfortable my productivity would drop ten-fold. I would become a useless stump.

Goldeneye 64 :O Until now the probably most played game in my life. Multiplayer was so awesome!
one question: is the N64 running with HD components without any problems? For example the NES (Famicon) is not because no HD TV, AVR or projector can handle the low resolution...

@Shawsie64
Great Job! I see you thought about it instead of just painting it white.

samman6

My New Setup, Sorry for the poor lighting. I just got my new hdtv a few weeks ago, so nice, so much better then sd. PS4 and Wii are currently hooked up, the Wii games I keep in that Discgear case, its basically the Mario Party machine though.

My Old Setup from a few years ago, no longer in use, as I have moved and I have gotten rid of all the TV's. Sorry for the pic quality.

adambell95

Neo Member
Seeing all these awesome setups caused me to rearrange my own. Still looks like shit compared to a lot of others, but I like it.

360's not actually connected. My PS3 is in the living room. Mainly been using PC, Xbone, and iPad mini as my gaming devices.

I think you should move your computer tower some where else. I think you might hit it on accident or an earthquake and it will fall on all your stuff.

Top Bottom