• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2016 Edition

Kindekuma

Banned
Battlestation had to get changed over since I moved to a college apartment. My physical collection is basically all at home, so I'm primarily using PC and Wii U as my current platform of choice.

CN4j5KR.jpg

Off Topic, question. You seem to be a digital artist. How are you liking the iPad Pro for drawing?

Surprisingly much better than I thought. I didn't realize how detailed you can get. I use pro create on it and I've been using it more than my Cintiq since I got it.

TBiddy

Man if you don't frame those poster we going to fight.

This man speaks the truth. Posters without frames sorta scream "teenage room".

Also, I can't wait till I can post my setup here. (Un)fortunately I'm moving in with my girlfriend in a couple months time, so I'll have a chance to start from scratch, since the current is a bit of things just thrown together.

Tabris

Nice "gaming setup"!

We've had these conversations before (not with you specifically I mean people who give people a hard time for something not super focused on gaming).

First, his console is probably hidden and that's where he games.

Second, there's not enough traffic to split this thread into 2 separate ones, one in OT and one in Gaming. It was already tried back in like the late 2000's by me.

I understand, but posts like that still feel completely irrelevant and unnecessary. Especially in light of the opening post of last year's topic, I can't imagine a lot of people not being put off by how above average income it all looked. Pretty sure the majority here mainly just lives very modest and not much more.

Siegcram

I understand, but posts like that still feel completely irrelevant and unnecessary. Especially in light of the opening post of last year's topic, I can't imagine a lot of people not being put off by how above average income it all looked. Pretty sure the majority here mainly just lives very modest and not much more.
Maybe let those people speak then, instead of being snarky on their behalf.

I myself am moving in a week and the shelves of that particular post were a welcome inspiration among all the samey Ikea look I've been seeing online.

Browny

Banned

From the OP:

Introduction
Here we post pictures of your gaming setup, from the large collections to the small collections, from the big family rooms to the small room setups, doesn't matter what, show us what you got!

We all like to take a look at what each other's got - heck, this thread was what drew me into GAF in the first place. The fact that people like to post a couple of extra pics is nice, to be able to show a little theme or style which helps to show off the main area is great.

Anyway, the past few pages have been great - and it's only January...

SugarDave

We bought some pretty cheap IKEA furniture yesterday. It's nothing special, but I think our new and improved 2016 living space looks quite nice. Does anyone have suggestions of how it could be improved? (I'm hoping for a jacuzzi and on-suite bar in 2017! I can dream, can't I?)

Hopefully I'm not disqualified for using a filter on the photos.

This looks cosy as hell.

I still live with my parents so my setup is contained in a fairly cramped bedroom, I make it work though. Truth be told, I don't get around to playing too many games these days but that hasn't stopped me shelling out for some expensive stuff that I really haven't had my money's worth out of yet. I hope to have a setup half as good as some of the ones posted here when I eventually live alone.

TBiddy

Nice "gaming setup"!

What makes up a "gaming setup" in your mind? Lots of physical games proudly presented, a ton of Amiibos, 20 consoles on display, a retro corner and a 65 inch tv, all in the same 20 sqft room?

Lots of us don't have the space or the interest in making such a setup. It's all about what each of us is comfortable with. Some prefer a small crowded space with lots of gaming-related stuff and figures, while others prefer a simplistic space with barely any furniture. Who are you to decide what constitutes a proper "gaming setup"?

SPCTRE

I think you're really missing out, this thread is about sharing

kvn

I don't see the problem with what he posted. I'm probably nowhere near his level of income, but I'm always interested in how people live. You have to see beyond the materialistic level.

Kyne

as a lurker who hopes to get his own place soon (so I can post it), I appreciate all the setups regardless of their content. I'm trying to find a good sense of décor and everything I see here is definitely helping with that.

Why, because it has a nice view? Because the TV isn't propped up on milk crates?

People take pride in different things. Some may have nice places, some may have nice cars, some may have nice things. Some are fortunate to have all three and more. When people start looking at this thread and use it as a measuring stick for their life, that's an issue only they can resolve. While it is a bit of a show-off thread (and any 'show us your...' thread always is, and that's ok), we shouldn't and can't make assumptions about how people live based on some photos they post. This doesn't need to turn into Facebook.

I like Tabris's setup. It's cool. I wouldn't in a million years live like him. I have different priorities and wants. That's what makes the collective setups so neat to look at.

What difference does that make? Do you have some sort of prerogative in expressing this?

All you're doing is making people feel less comfortable with posting their pics. And I come here to look at cool pictures of people's setups regardless of what it is they post pictures of.

I don't see the problem with pics of a cozy environment where "gaming" is done with nice views, no matter how modern or lavish the living style.

hitsugi

So giant TVs, Multiple 4k monitors, PCs with 3x GPUs that cost nearly $1k a piece, and tons of gaming consoles or arcade cabinets wouldn't be indicative of "above average income" but some furniture and a view are..............? I can't help but to strongly disagree with the sentiment you've expressed here, as I've seen seen several others have.

Since the demise of the GAF cribs threads (which ended up with a minority of posters making certain people feel uncomfortable about their own home), I've come here not to just look at a dead-on photo of some consoles, but the environment that surrounds them as well.

Tabris

Since the demise of the GAF cribs threads (which ended up with a minority of posters making certain people feel uncomfortable about their own home), I've come here not to just look at a dead-on photo of some consoles, but the environment that surrounds them as well.

I made that thread, thinking about splitting them but there's not enough traffic for both threads to exist successfuly.

Please don't change this thread!!!! Such great ideas and cool to see great levels of decorative creativity from those of us who all share the same hobby :)

Damn son lol.

I was eating ramen noodles messing around with an outdated PC in university.

Yeah I was thinking the same, haha. I was barely running CS 1.6 on some prebuilt POS desktop with a massive CRT monitor and living on microwaved Easy-Mac. I couldn't dream of a setup like that.

Looks nice!

oatmeal

Banned
I'm getting closer to being done my room. It's been a year and a half in the making, slowly getting it to where I want it...

entremet

Yeah I was thinking the same, haha. I was barely running CS 1.6 on some prebuilt POS desktop with a massive CRT monitor and living on microwaved Easy-Mac. I couldn't dream of a setup like that.

Looks nice!

Yeah. Worked out for the best, though.

I would've flunked out if I had that type setup lol.

Piggus

Built a new PC and got a Wii U since last time I posted. Other than that, not a whole lot has changed.

wIeW6fl.jpg

PC is hooked up to both the monitor/desktop speakers/headphones and the TV/receiver:

Ls8nX4D.jpg

Wall-mounted Acer 1080p monitor, Swan M10 speakers (best speakers I've ever owned for the money), Sony XB-700 headphones, Steelseries mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches, Logitech G400 mouse with MX518 outer shell, inhaler so I don't die:

wmt2i7i.jpg

PC specs:

NZXT Switch 810 case
MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboard
Core i7 5820K @ 4.4 GHz with Deepcool Captain 360 cooler
Dual MSI GeForce GTX970s (SLI) @ 1450 MHz
16 GBs Crucial Ballistix DDR4
Dual 128 GB Crucial M4 SSDs in RAID 0
1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD
2 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue in hotswap tray
LG Blu-Ray drive/DVD burner
1000 watt Sentey modular power supply

sSlbusc.jpg

EFCTuu1.jpg

PS4, Wii U, and Onkyo HT-R380 5.1 receiver:

gCxRfPA.jpg

OG Vita and 3DS:

D6x89l9.jpg

Fanatec 911 GT3 RS V2 racing wheel with Playseat Evolution:

uTDZdR6.jpg

Gaems Vanguard case + PS3 (or whatever other console I want to put in there):

WYYL4Rw.jpg

Anthony:

M7QExe5.jpg

All gaming is done in the cockpit.

So jealous of that CS wheel. Damn.

I recently moved and am putting the finishing touches on the setup in my new home. I posted my old setup in the 2015 thread here.

My current setup is fairly similar to my old one, with the primary changes being better speakers and more shelving space. I kept the important things intact, Chiefy in one corner and 20th Anniversary PS4 in the other.

For those curious, the theater room is around 22.5' x 17.5'. I have a 7.2 Klipsch Reference speaker setup, which is accompanied by a Sony 7.2 Receiver and a Sony VPLHW30AES projector.
Your room is stunning. Couple of thoughts - screen could go bigger for a room that size, bright walls must give a fair bit of light reflection, and where are your atmos ceiling speakers? ;-)

DJ_Lae

Mine really hasn't changed an awful lot in the three years we've been in this house - the only real addition other than some monitors and a new mic is a set of media shelves because the old bookshelf I was using was woefully inadequate for finding anything, as the only way to maximize space was to double-up on cases.

Well, and the chair, which I like but don't love, and got a good enough deal on I'm okay with it. Lego and kids' stuff now crowds up to my left, laptop is for VPN remote desktop use, mostly for running queries and using SAS. Piano is still to my right.

My wife still hates the desk - it's an old desk back when dot matrix printers were popular, as there's a shelf in the bottom right to store paper and a wide slot to feed it up to the printer on the right-hand side. It's not really a looker, but it's solid as fuck. I'll have to figure out if I can fix it up at some point.

arsuHor.jpg

Unfortunately the shelves I bought, while as big as I can fit in that spot, don't have room for anything pre-360, so I don't know what to do about that just yet short of leaving it in moving boxes. Oh well.

cR9CKB9.jpg

Haven't alphabetized them yet, just sort of dumped everything in there to gauge how much room it actually had and whether the shelves needed adjusting.

Would take a picture of my daughter's stuff to my left, and the consoles, but it's a mess of cables and Skylanders at the moment and I'm only feeling so charitable as far as making other people feel better about their setups.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Minor derail but you guys might know -
I turned my ps4 on for the first time in months and the controller won't talk to the console. It's ready to do an update but even wired via usb, it won't select or activate ui. Lights are on, rumble is working, just not syncing wired or wirelessly.

SliChillax

Nice setup, but don't you feel like you're just sucking hot air straight through your CPU cooler?

All the hot air goes out the top and a little from the back of the case. Fresh air gets sucked in from the front and side which cools the gpu and cpu directly. The gpu releases the hot air from the top it does not exhaust it from the back so I positioned the cpu cooler to also suck the hot air from the gpu and blow it to the top. I've never had high temperatures while overclocked and system has been very stable but to be honest I'm not that good at setting up up good air flow, I just went with what I thought was good. If you have any advice please share.

Looks nice!
Thank you very much

It's ok. Dragons Dogma in superior 21:9 can make hunger go away.

But the monitor so close makes my eyes bleed in pain lol. I wish the accommodation had a better table. Unfortunately I can't change it. Also, I wish it was 21:9 :p

Minor derail but you guys might know -
I turned my ps4 on for the first time in months and the controller won't talk to the console. It's ready to do an update but even wired via usb, it won't select or activate ui. Lights are on, rumble is working, just not syncing wired or wirelessly.

Try hitting the reset button on the back of the controller.

Keep posting gaffers and don't feel like you have to explain your setup's quality to anyone.

From modest and cosy to full on home cinema and every console ever made, it doesn't matter. Seems to me the point of this thread is that anyone who shares their pics is obviously proud of whatever they've put together and wants their GAF buddies to see it too.

If people felt like it was some kind of competition then this thread would've started and ended immediately after the OP.

Will I get one of the truly amazing and obviously expensive setups one day? Probably not, but one if the great joys of this thread is in seeing those and figuring out how you can adapt some of their cool ideas into your own (eg Tabris' Eames chair, goddammit I want one!).

Let's keep it going and leave any begrudgery well out of it.

Your room is stunning. Couple of thoughts - screen could go bigger for a room that size, bright walls must give a fair bit of light reflection, and where are your atmos ceiling speakers? ;-)
The screen size is 110". I could have gone to 120", but stuck with 110" because of how close I sit. I agree about the walls, they definitely need painted... Sitting on the to-do list.

Piggus

I wish..! It's the baby brother CSR Elite. Still a huuuuge step up from my old GT2, but a good few rungs under the CS wheels.

Still jealous! Maybe in two or three years I'll be able to afford a good CS setup. Until then, my scrappy ol' GT3 RS will have to do the job.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There shouldn't be a single ounce of drama in this thread. It's for posting photos. I like seeing people's setups and taking ideas/inspiration from what I see. Nobody has a better setup than anyone else-- it's all opinion/taste.

AristoCat

Didn't post update in the 2015 thread, so here is my 2016 setup :

Still live in the center of Paris and space is an issue here so it's small but at least it's mine!

So living room setup includes PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Pioneer 5.1 Receiver, and 40" Sony TV.
Room/Desk iMac 5K 27" for small gaming and work.

Sky Chief

All the hot air goes out the top and a little from the back of the case. Fresh air gets sucked in from the front and side which cools the gpu and cpu directly. The gpu releases the hot air from the top it does not exhaust it from the back so I positioned the cpu cooler to also suck the hot air from the gpu and blow it to the top. I've never had high temperatures while overclocked and system has been very stable but to be honest I'm not that good at setting up up good air flow, I just went with what I thought was good. If you have any advice please share.

Thank you very much

But the monitor so close makes my eyes bleed in pain lol. I wish the accommodation had a better table. Unfortunately I can't change it. Also, I wish it was 21:9 :p

Oh okay, now I see the air intake on the side, that makes it look a lot better.

Personally, I would mount the CPU cooler 90 degrees counterclockwise so that it is sucking cold air from the front of the case and expelling it out of the back instead of sticking hot air directly off the GPU. The rear exhaust would also help expel the air from your GPU. This is typically the way people set up CPU air coolers.

I would DEFINITELY do that if you didn't have the intake fan on the side of the case but with that fan I think you're all good although side mounted fans can cause weird air currents that can be suboptimal.

Great computer though!

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
We've had these conversations before (not with you specifically I mean people who give people a hard time for something not super focused on gaming).

First, his console is probably hidden and that's where he games.

Second, there's not enough traffic to split this thread into 2 separate ones, one in OT and one in Gaming. It was already tried back in like the late 2000's by me.
Correct. All my consoles are behind the tv. My server is behind the curtain. You can't see them. That is how I game. So essentially my photos are the same as the others, only my style is different.

I can't help but love that lamp. Do you know the name/manufacturer?
Zuiver http://www.zuiver.com/collection/tripod-wood-floor-lamp/

dw.og

Didn't post update in the 2015 thread, so here is my 2016 setup :

Still live in the center of Paris and space is an issue here so it's small but at least it's mine!

So living room setup includes PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Pioneer 5.1 Receiver, and 40" Sony TV.
Room/Desk iMac 5K 27" for small gaming and work.

Very nice. How do you like your 5K iMac? Worth the price? Did you max out the specs? What type of work do you use it for?

Top Bottom