• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2016 Edition

Here's my setup... which is slowly being taken over by our 2 year old
fkkQb4X.jpg

JXR4M6X.jpg

bMYxkbc.jpg

lGYad39.jpg

Goliath

Well here it is, my new game room. I'm actually not 100% happy with the actual photo's, so I might redo them later (later this year though). The lighting is all over the place, I shot a few pics last night and the rest this morning, so that's why the lighting looks so different per shot. I had to borrow my dad's camera, so I can't really do quick re-shoots anyway.

As far as the actual room, there's still some things left to be done; I have to hang that Mario 2 thing you see in some pics on the wall and I'm currently looking for a small couch to put in front of the gaming area.

Yes, most of those consoles are hooked up and ready to go. The red area you see behind the TV and consoles is actually a simple double wall, that's why you don't see any cables. Behind the two small (removable) doors in the bottom left are a bunch of RGB switch-boxes. It mostly workss, but it's not perfect unfortunately, the signal does get degraded if you use RGB in the 3rd or 4th switch box, so I'll have to find a solution for that. I'm also kinda looking for a better TV. Still CRT obviously but with S-video support (and maybe more than just 1 Scart/RGB input) for my US SNES and such, the rest is hooked up with RGB.

The doors are covered in old videogame ads I cut out of old EGM's. I always wanted to do something like this in my old game room, but never really had the right place for it, so I just covered up the 2 doors with them. The left door leads to the hallway and the lower-level stairs, behind the right door is the central heating unit and a few shelves where I put all my controllers (well the ones I use anyway, the rest are in totes along with hundreds of cables etc.). It's a right mess though, so I decided to not shoot it.

My more current games. I buy just as many (if not more) retro games than current ones, I always buy physical whenever possible as you can probably tell :).

My retro games, everything's alphabetized btw. I still have to catalogue my games though...someday.

My cabinets, one is obviously just Zelda stuff and the other is just a fairly random assortment of rarish and/or expensive games that I also really like (it's pretty random, games like Panzer Dragoon Saga are just in the main area instead of here, but whatevs.)

In the attic I put my boxes for CE's and newer consoles (though I didn't photograph it very well, I missed a few shots that properly show it).

In my bedroom is a ladder that leads up to the attic and right besides the ladder is a little nook where I put my Atari 2600 and Philips G7000 (Odyssey 2 in the US). I don't really sit there tbh, but I thought it was a nice little area to put those, the goatskin or whatever adds to the atmos think.

All in all I just made a few random shots, there's no real rhyme or reason to them (I'm clearly not a photographer). Here's some different angle shots.

Lastly, A quick shot of my living room. I actually spend the most time gaming here, I have my WiiU, Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and PC hooked up in that little alcove you see to the right. Again, I just plain didn't think of shooting another angle, so you don't see my badass Ganon statue next to the TV and my beautiful framed Phantasy Star poster hanging above it. Maybe next time.

The cables are being worked on, it's a temporary thing.

If people want to see anything else (like where I put my controllers and such) I can make some quick and dirty shots with my own crummy camera.

Here's a Link to all the pics, there's a bunch of duplicates in there though, but Imgur won't let me delete them

Apologies if I put too many pics, but I feel like I had to give a good overview.

I love the collage of old video game advertisements. I have such fond memories of looking at these ads from video game magazines.

Nice!

May I ask what the imposing CCTV camera's all about? Looks odd!

It's a lamp I made. Bought the enclosure on ebay for like $20 then an LED lamp at Ikea for about $7. I thought it was a cool idea that wasn't some generic floor lamp. Also, everyone that comes over thinks they are being recorded which is pretty funny.

eXistor

I love the collage of old video game advertisements. I have such fond memories of looking at these ads from video game magazines.

Thanks, I love 'em too, they really add a nice retro vibe to the room I think. Plus, they smell pretty good :)

lem0n

Got a lot of my games packed away, I usually have two of those glass door towers full of games, but this is a temporary place. This is about as nice as I'm gonna make it, lol. I hope you like it!

20160121_170636j7knh.jpg

20160121_1706230gjfa.jpg

Ryde3

Got a lot of my games packed away, I usually have two of those glass door towers full of games, but this is a temporary place. This is about as nice as I'm gonna make it, lol. I hope you like it!

Hey I love the desk (from what I can see) ... would you mind telling me where you got it?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
posted in here recently when i got my new desk but just got a mechanical keyboard so that's my PC set up finally complete! the keyboard is a corsair k65 (non-rgb) mechanical keyboard. got it off amazon for £70.

dgwf5Nv.jpg

lem0n

Hey I love the desk (from what I can see) ... would you mind telling me where you got it?
You know, it's actually two Ikea desks next to eachother to form an L. I forget the name of it, but they are the most simple ones you can get, you buy the desktop and legs separately.

Rich!

Need some opinions on this. Built a new place from scratch (small bungalow). No mortgage, no rent, aw yeah. Started work a few months back, finished now.

This is my living room setup:

55" TV. Still gotta get some blinds set up for that window - I have some wooden ones that fit in with my Mission speakers and furniture.

My aim was to have no visible cables or plugs fucking things up. 5.1 surround set up through the walls (banana jack sockets) on each side (one panel behind the entertainment unit, two behind the sofa for the surround speakers).

Gotta get some proper stands for the rear speakers...

MGS3 poster on the wall

so yeah

Mascot

Need some opinions on this. Built a new place from scratch (small bungalow). No mortgage, no rent, aw yeah. Started work a few months back, finished now.

In that last photo, is that a really tall door or a really low ceiling?

Need to lower your tv to just above the center speaker.

I don't get why people mount their tv's so damn high. You want the center of the tv to be at eye level.

Rich!

Need to lower your tv to just above the center speaker.

I don't get why people mount their tv's so damn high. You want the center of the tv to be at eye level.

It is at eye level now. Ive lowered it since that image by a couple of notches (the bracket is easily adjustable)

Damn you guys are critical as shit

It is at eye level now. Ive lowered it since that image by a couple of notches (the bracket is easily adjustable)

Damn you guys are critical as shit

Well I mean you did ask for opinions. Regardless I think it looks fine and if you like it that's all that matters. Nice place.

55" TV. Still gotta get some blinds set up for that window - I have some wooden ones that fit in with my Mission speakers and furniture.

My aim was to have no visible cables or plugs fucking things up. 5.1 surround set up through the walls (banana jack sockets) on each side (one panel behind the entertainment unit, two behind the sofa for the surround speakers).

Gotta get some proper stands for the rear speakers...

MGS3 poster on the wall

so yeah

That's impressive that you built your own place. Question: why only go 5.1? Is it because of space or because of system?

Love the natural wood finish BTW. 👍🏻

Rich!

Heh thanks

Well, what throws it off is the ceiling. It is lower than normal. This place is a conversion of an existing building, and we couldn't change the exterior due to UK conservation regulations. It's essentially a small cottage of sorts.

But really the TV is at eye level when you're sitting across from it. It's all good

Mascot

Well, what throws it off is the ceiling. It is lower than normal. This place is a conversion of an existing building, and we couldn't change the exterior due to UK conservation regulations. It's essentially a small cottage of sorts.

Ah, that explains the low ceilings. When you said you'd "built a new place from scratch" I assumed you meant it was a brand new build from the ground up. Some new eco-builds have lower-than-normal ceilings to reduce energy consumption (why heat all that empty space above our heads, right?) so that's what I thought you might have done.

I'm intrigued now though. Any chance of a shot of the exterior?

Dipship31

I like the setup. Where is the desk from? I'm looking for something similar.

I got the desk and chairs from my work (I sell office furniture) so that was easy. Where are you from? I could look up some local furniture companies that would probably have something similar. For that desk set it would probably run about $400-$500. Then the rest of the stuff I just picked up at Ikea

AmuroChan

I got the desk and chairs from my work (I sell office furniture) so that was easy. Where are you from? I could look up some local furniture companies that would probably have something similar. For that desk set it would probably run about $400-$500. Then the rest of the stuff I just picked up at Ikea

I'm in NJ/NYC area. You can PM me if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Smokey

Well here it is, my new game room. I'm actually not 100% happy with the actual photo's, so I might redo them later (later this year though). The lighting is all over the place, I shot a few pics last night and the rest this morning, so that's why the lighting looks so different per shot. I had to borrow my dad's camera, so I can't really do quick re-shoots anyway.

holy fuck

how big is that room? that is insane man, good on ya

goldenpp72

I posted my entire prior setup in the last thread but since then have been doing a lot of modifications, once i'm done i'll throw some updated pics, but for now here is a bit of a look. One of the balls has the wrong color base but otherwise it looks good (waiting on a replacement)

Lunar FC

I posted my entire prior setup in the last thread but since then have been doing a lot of modifications, once i'm done i'll throw some updated pics, but for now here is a bit of a look. One of the balls has the wrong color base but otherwise it looks good (waiting on a replacement)

Uhh holy shit, I need these. Where do I get some?

goldenpp72

Yeah something like that, I got the price down a bit since I bought them all. They are 3d etched crystal so, I know the material in itself isn't cheap, obviously there is still a nice profit for them but, I thought it would be worth it in the end. I split the cost with my fiancee so technically she owns half and I own half, we even picked out ones which would be 'ours' like a custody battle :p

Still, as a collector who sees games go for 500, 1000, etc, I guess the sticker shock is a bit less for me these days :/

Kilrathi

2016 Setup

Main Workstation
Rebuild with skylake CPU+Z170 mobo + DDR4 + 970

20160124_163209.jpg

Living room
Second Media Rack
Wireless bridge swaped out for powerline with a 8 port network switch and added a steam link

20160124_163030.jpg

20160124_162921.jpg

Acrylic7

2016 Setup

Main Workstation
Rebuild with skylake CPU+Z170 mobo + DDR4 + 970

20160124_163209.jpg

Living room
Second Media Rack
Wireless bridge swaped out for powerline with a 8 port network switch and added a steam link

20160124_163030.jpg

20160124_162921.jpg

Man if you don't frame those poster we going to fight.

Yeah something like that, I got the price down a bit since I bought them all. They are 3d etched crystal so, I know the material in itself isn't cheap, obviously there is still a nice profit for them but, I thought it would be worth it in the end. I split the cost with my fiancee so technically she owns half and I own half, we even picked out ones which would be 'ours' like a custody battle :p

Still, as a collector who sees games go for 500, 1000, etc, I guess the sticker shock is a bit less for me these days :/

Props to you then. Very tasteful and elegant decorative pieces and I'd never thought I'd say that about Pokemon.

Top Bottom