• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Showtime Close to a Deal to Partner with Xbox Studios on ‘Halo’ Series

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I wish MS were spending this on something I care about instead of a TV show I have absolutely no interest at all in watching

Huff

Banned
Where would you start in the universe? post 4? a retelling? no faith in any series being better than meh

Kevin

Where would you start in the universe? post 4? a retelling? no faith in any series being better than meh

It would be awesome if they started from the very beginning and worked through the entire Halo series (should it be a show that lives past one season) but I have a feeling that the show will focus on side characters instead of Masterchief himself.

I would love for the show to start off from the very beginning of the story. I would show at least a few scenes of the outer colonies being attacked by "an unknown force". Then focus season one of the training of the Spartan program, early days of Master Chief, etc. End the season with Master Chief's missions on Reach perhaps? Season 2 continuing on from there...

Computer

I wish MS were spending this on something I care about instead of a TV show I have absolutely no interest at all in watching

I don't. I am happy there is going to be a Halo TV show. I am sure most Halo fans would feel the same. I cant wait to see it.

nampad

I thought they would limit the show to Xbox users but having it more widely available isn't a bad idea. Interested in how they will differentiate the two channels of content.

Luckily MS is a rather large company and they work on many projects at the same time.
Maybe you'll be interested in one of their other offerings.

Kevin

They often start out good and then drastically deteriorate.

Yeah that is indeed the case. I gave up on Dexter during season 7 half way through and probably would have gave up sooner but I kept holding onto hope that it would get better. Dexter was one of my favorite shows early on to. So much wasted potential.

Showtime may ruin shows that they normal air but I really doubt Microsoft will give them ANY creative control over the Halo series. I doubt that they will have a say in anything that goes on with the creation of the show. Showtime will probably partially pay for the show and will then be able to air it on Showtime in advance to Xbox. That will likely be the deal made.

SpartanN92

Banned

Meanwhile those of who are VERY excited for this remain VERY excited even though you went out of your way to tell us how nonplussed you are by this.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Luckily MS is a rather large company and they work on many projects at the same time.
Maybe you'll be interested in one of their other offerings.

if you don't think that there's a game not being made so that they can make this i have a bridge to sell you.

I'm having a hard time deciding what I want out if this series. I liked Forward Unto Dawn, but I want more. Maybe no Master Chief. Not sure.

It's weird because despite my limitless love for Halo, I'm pretty much neutral about this show.

Probably because they haven't shown anything.

They tend to leave shows on too long.

MS should have a say there, I would think.

I don't. I am happy there is going to be a Halo TV show. I am sure most Halo fans would feel the same. I cant wait to see it.

Hell yes, couldn't agree more. I didn't buy the console with this as my primary desire, but I certainly expected a serious focus from Microsoft on other forms of entertainment. Of course I have showtime, but I also plan on getting my year gold subscription sometime tomorrow, because I want to be able to take full advantage of all the other content they'll be offering.

jay23

why?

not that I'm disagreeing, but homeland is my favorite show.
As long as they have good writers they should be ok.

idk what it is about showtime series but they tend to always fall off. I guess you can say that about a lot of other shows tho right?

Edit: that's the problem with a lot of series now they stay on for too long. Hope we see the anthology format more in shows, true detective and now Fargo are both pretty good.

if you don't think that there's a game not being made so that they can make this i have a bridge to sell you.
Lol
How many games had to be cut for them to finance Office 2015?

They still have plenty of games coming, is this one hypothetical game the only one you'd be interested in?

Gxgear

Something that takes place in the Halo universe, like Agents of SHIELD or Forward Unto Dawn, would be pretty cool.

Wiktor

Nice. Halo series is bound to be insanely expensive. Propably Game of Thrones levels. Aside from HBO I don't think any cable network can soak up this kind of costs. Showtime with financial backing of Microsoft could make it work.

Joe T.

I would have hoped for HBO and even then I'm not sure they would be able to crank out a TV series to meet my lofty expectations without an insane budget. There's a ton of potential for Halo and it's one of my favorite franchises, so hoping they don't half ass this.

Partnering with Showtime would be the right move. A good Halo show deserves a budget likely beyond what MS is willing to impart into their digital content offerings.

cheezcake

Need a show which starts off from the Spartan 2 program in general rather than jumping right into the covenenant conflict

Filaipus

Banned
I think the problem of a Halo show is that everyone wants to see Master Chief, but if he has a different voice... It sucks. It made sense in Forward unto Dawn (which was really cool) because he would be younger but I don't know how they will pull it out if it is any time later.

So the big Xbox TV show isn't even exclusive to Xbox Live and has timed exclusivity with Showtime prior to the Xbox network.

/confused

So the big Xbox TV show isn't even exclusive to Xbox Live and has a timed exclusivity with Showtime prior to the Xbox network.

/confused

Having the show on Showtime with lots of Xbox advertising would probably be just as beneficial, of not more so, as having the show be an Xbox Video exclusive.

There's also the hooking aspect. If the show's good, they hook people through Showtime and potentially make the second season only available through XBV.

If it's a dud, they haven't fully funded it themselves. Win win for MS.

I think the problem of a Halo show is that everyone wants to see Master Chief, but if he has a different voice... It sucks. It made sense in Forward unto Dawn (which was really cool) because he would be younger but I don't know how they will pull it out if it is any time later.
I don't think so. For Halo to grow enough to encompass a full extended universe with more stories and more kinds of stories to tell the whole universe cannot revolve around a single person, or even the duo of Chief and Cortana.

There's more to that universe than those two big personalities and the characters that crossed their paths.

I don't think so. For Halo to grow enough to encompass a full extended universe with more stories and more kinds of stories to tell the whole universe cannot revolve around a single person, or even the duo of Chief and Cortana.

There's more to that universe than those two big personalities and the characters that crossed their paths.

Following the ODST crew would make for a good show. Reference MC/Cortana, but not have them feature beyond that.

If you're into lumberjack shows, yes!

the Penny Dreadful might good considering how good the pilot was and I been hearing good thing about Shameless, though bad it a comedy otherwise I would be all over it.
But yeah showtime have a bad tendency in intervening in their popular show and running them to the ground.
God hope that doesn't happen with The Halo show.

anyway I don't understand why pair up with showtime wasn't the whole point of this is so they add value to xbla? Oh well guess it will add more exposure to the show

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have low expectations but high hopes. I'll totally watch it if it's good!

"Partnership" is another way of saying "we found someone else to spend some money on it", not that that's at all bad! If Microsoft were going it entirely alone on funding and production I'm not sure where that'd end up. That's pretty much completely new territory for them.

This is life-action, right? How many game <> real TV shows have we had that have worked? I'm legitimately curious. I'm still skeptical but if it's an original story detached from the games I'll also be cautiously optimistic. I fear this is going to be a massive "hit or miss" matter. They'll either nail it or it'll be a trainwreck.

Off Topic: Nothing wrong with The Walking Dead.
It's just divisive generally along lines of people that follow the visual novels. It's the highest rated show on cable in the US (and highest-rated on weekends, period, behind NFL football) but they need a solid season 5 to keep up interest. AMC had to end some of their best shows in the past year and do need replacements. They probably wouldn't have been a bad partner if it was a more narrative show but let's assume Microsoft did the rounds with basically everyone and they wanted nothing to do with it. I can also have imagined FOX picking it up to boost its weekday offerings.

I don't think Halo is anywhere near as valuable IP for TV show though. It will require huge budget, but it will have to largely come from Microsoft's own pockets. So it doesn't really matter much where the show airs. And I expect that with Showtime being much smaller they won't insist on having full creative control, the way HBO would.
I'm going to have to disagree slightly. Going to premium cable cuts down the "general public" audience; ie people not aware of the Xbox Video program. Not like there's a shortage of Microsoft devices to push/offer the thing on, at least, so I do agree that it'll hit most all of the intended demographic.

Top Bottom