• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida confirms all games at Sony conference shown on standard PS4

Honestly, hearing this makes me wonder why release a Neo.

I felt like this after playing Uncharted 4. But now seeing how amazing all those games looked, I'd forget Neo and lower the price of ps4 to get it in as many hands as possible.

Neo's real though, so I hope devs prioritize higher or more stable frame rates for its version of games. The coming games already look beautiful as is on regular ps4.

He said it was real time. Unless he's lying or mis-spoke in English?

Kojima always does realtime visuals. I remember having this same conversation with people back in 2013 regarding how there was no way that the gameplay graphics in the phantom pain would look the same as those E3 trailers. Then the game came out and the gameplay looks just like the cutscenes. Kojima has been talking about bridging the gap since MGS2.

dLrbPW.png

lafTFN.png

When asked by someone on Twitter:

MmzpIIc.jpg

Figured it was good to clear this up since a lot of people (myself included) wondered if some of it was maybe running on Neo.

Lock if old news

And this is all thanks to the ICE team and the way Sony allows all their devs to have access to the ICE team!

Memento

Wait, Days Gone is early in development? How long has Bend been working on it?

Looks like there were some serious internal problems. According to the rumours there has been multiple projects cancelled from them since Golden Abyss launch on Vita in 2012.

I agree. I believe it is CGI, especially since the word is that Kojima still has even chosen a game engine yet.
I was under the impression that it was from a game engine that they were trying out.

I just love when everybody teams up on me. Yes i'm sure a lot of the games in the conference had this level of insane detail....
Pebbles...

-_-
Everything always looks better in cutscenes, and that is basically a cutscene.

I felt like this after playing Uncharted 4. But now seeing how amazing all those games looked, I'd forget Neo and lower the price of ps4 to get it in as many hands as possible.

Neo's real though, so I hope devs prioritize higher or more stable frame rates for its version of games. The coming games already look beautiful as is on regular ps4.
Mostly for 4K seems to really be the intention.

Harmen

Thank you. Keep in mind three of the developers that showed their games, Guerilla, Sony Santa Monica, and Quantic Dream, made some pretty insane looking games on the PS3. GoW3 and Beyond: Two Souls look amazing on the PS4. So I don't have any doubts.

Still, I think UC4 is not topped by any of these when taken as a whole (in particural given the animations of UC and the amount of interactivity with the environments in that game).

Memento

Thank you. Keep in mind three of the developers that showed their games, Guerilla, Sony Santa Monica, and Quantic Dream, made some pretty insane looking games on the PS3. GoW3 and Beyond: Two Souls look amazing on the PS4. So I don't have any doubts.

Still, I think UC4 is not topped by any of these when taken as a whole (in particural given the animations of UC and the amount of interactivity with the environments in that game).

I think Uncharted 4 is still the absolute winner animation wise, but man... God of War is really something else. When Kratos unleash the Rage of Sparta, damn, it looks photorealistic.

pswii60

Looking forward to Neo, if only because I really wish Ratchet was 60fps.

But PS4 continues to impress the hell out of me every day. DOOM looks stunning on my OLED and I haven't even started Uncharted 4 yet.

Their E3 showing was impressive because it was so polished. It was like the exact opposite of every showing of Fable Legends.

Griss

Shocked that Horizon wasn't on Neo. Game looked insane visually.

Then again it's Guerilla. What they released on launch day with Killzone was spectacular. (Shame about the game part)

SuperSah

Banned
All of a sudden a new machine is on the way and now the PS4 cannot produce good looking games.

Lol, some of you need to get a grip - the PS4 is extremely capable. All because Neo is a thing it does not mean that the PS4 is automatically weakened in power.

Lemondish

Shocked that Horizon wasn't on Neo. Game looked insane visually

There were some actions they took to cover up some of the foliage pop-in during the sequence they showed at the conference. A lot of "look over here" camera work while riding the Broadhead, for example. I imagine they're still working to polish that up.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This is why I don't think current PS4 owners need to worry about Neo ruining PS4 versions of games. The games look fantastic for the hardware, Neo is just for tech enthusiasts like me.

Shocked that Horizon wasn't on Neo. Game looked insane visually.

Then again it's Guerilla. What they released on launch day with Killzone was spectacular. (Shame about the game part)
The grass/shadow pop in was pretty aggressive in Horizon.

Ran rp

"is this neo?"

"this game needs neo"

"psvr needs breakout box because ps4 can't do vr"

no

no

no shut up oh my god

There was nothing wizard-like in regards to the "grass draw in" on that Horizon footage. Literally 2 meters in front of the player and in a straight line to boot. Can not unsee!!
Yeah, I know, early days, plenty of time to improve etc etc. NEO sould hopefully be able to improve those sorts of graphical aspects going forward.
Yeah that really bothered me. Guerilla needs to borrow whatever Naughty Dog used in Uncharted 4. You rarely saw any pop-in in U4.

Bit different in an open world with lots of simulation versus very controlled settings in Uncharted
But Uncharted 4 had some fairly large environments, surely it has to use some sort of graphical streaming similar to open-world games? I could be (likely) wrong.

*sigh* We already know why. There's no cost savings in die shrinks otherwise.

So is Sony going to discontinue ps4 once stock is gone and only sell Neo?

Also wasn't there an insider who claimed Sony had a choice to add a better cpu but wanted to avoid adding another $100 to the price?

In that case just go cheap as they can. The games already look incredible.

I can understand if Neo is more of a benefit for VR though, or if there were going to be saving anyways.

I just hear these rumors of Sony trying to up specs to compete with Scorpio, and I think "Why even bother?".

J-Skee

Kojima always does realtime visuals. I remember having this same conversation with people back in 2013 regarding how there was no way that the gameplay graphics in the phantom pain would look the same as those E3 trailers. Then the game came out and the gameplay looks just like the cutscenes. Kojima has been talking about bridging the gap since MGS2.

dLrbPW.png

lafTFN.png

Even when it would have made more sense to use CG in the first Metal Gear Solid, he stuck with real-time. To my knowledge, Kojima has never used CG & there definitely isn't a reason to do so now.

Not surprising. Everything they showed looked amazing, but nothing looked beyond the capabilities of the current PS4. I think people have just been really underestimating what these consoles can do, at least visually.

Jedi2016

I was wondering about that, that either some of these were running on (or meant for) Neo, or that devs are finally pushing the limits and finding out what they can get away with, especially with exclusives that can be really fine-tuned for the hardware.

Horizon didn't have me wondering actually.. I'd say God of War, Days Gone (due to the ridiculous zombie horde), and Death Stranding were the ones that looked iffy.

Now... just imagine what those titles would look like on Neo...

Gurish

GOW was so so beautiful but if you've played Uncharted 4 you can kind of believe that, especially considering the limited scope shown (I know the scope of the full game is actually huge but that segment was more limited), my main concern is Horizon, it's not playable on the show floor, seems like a vertical slice created for E3.

I'm afraid that when they will actually have to run the full open world it won't look like this, as an open world game it looks a little too good for me but I hope I'm wrong.

Spiderman also looks amazing but I can believe it, the zombie game was also extremely impressive from a tech stand point, man Sony just smashed technical records with this show.

Gurish

People want to believe GT Sport was running in Neo but it is real looking on PS4.

Is there any new footage of GT Sport that made people doubting? the gameplay reveal looked worse than Forza, what is it with comments around here putting this game alongside GOW, Horizon, Detroit, U4 etc, what are you talking about!? it looks horrible for what we were expecting out of a next gen GT.

Gurish

On Gamespot, Hermen Hulst said that section was taken directly the game, they created no vertical slice. You will be playing that exact area when you get the game yourself.

Took the slice comment from here:

VICE said:
And having played it – albeit a made-for-E3-2016 slice of it, set apart from the main game but very much featuring elements that will appear in it – I can confirm that Guerrilla Games' Horizon is, quite categorically, not shite. I'd love to spill out an essay right here, right now explaining just how easily I could have spent my entire day on the game, if it wasn't for executive producer Lambert Wolterbeek Muller (what a name that is, what a name) tapping me on the shoulder to indicate that Other People needed a turn, too.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/her...izon-zero-dawn-now-weve-played-it-e3-2016-800

And if the demo is playable why there isn't any footage? people would off screen cam it at least.

Certinty

The amount of pedestrians and cars on the streets at the same time in Spidey is absolutely insane. Does any other next-gen open world game even come close to that?

Top Bottom