• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shulk Confirmed for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

They freaking got it right!!! Love that Riki and Dunban have Smash models here as well.

+Monolithsoft rep in Smash! Who knew this day would come.
+They did Shulk justice in his moveset and in the trailer
+Riki and Dunban are here are well.
+Same VAs!!!!!
+Mechonis looms in the background and looks freaking awesome!
+Stage changes to evening at least. Probably night too. Rain?!?!
+Armorless Shulk as an alt!!!
+Riki as an assist.
+Unity attack as his final smash is so riiiight!
+Metal Face might be an in-game boss!!!
-Vision doesn't allow him to DODGE a killing blow like was present in the trailer!!
-Can't set his voice to Japanese if I'm playing in English
-Stage is not Eryth Sea. Unless there is more than 1 Xenoblade stage.
-Shulk's CG model looked off at times in the trailer. Especially in his introduction card.
-CG trailer didn't show off any of the other Xenoblade elements aside from Shulk and just a bit of Gaur Plains.
-No Melia Antiqua.

RPGCrazied

So wondering if anyone else noticed in the English trailer for his reveal....they changed his VA didn't they? Riki and Dunban seem to be the same with the few lines they have but Shulk just seems kind of....off.

Sounds the same to me, but just a slight higher pitch. I really do think its the same actor.

They freaking got it right!!! Love that Riki and Dunban have Smash models here as well.

+Monolithsoft rep in Smash! Who knew this day would come.
+They did Shulk justice in his moveset and in the trailer
+Riki and Dunban are here are well.
+Same VAs!!!!!
+Mechonis looms in the background and looks freaking awesome!
+Stage changes to evening at least. Probably night too. Rain?!?!
-Can't set his voice to Japanese if I'm playing in English
-Stage is not Eryth Sea. Unless there is more than 1 Xenoblade stage.
-Shulk's CG model looked off at times in the trailer. Especially in his introduction card.
-CG trailer didn't show off any of the other Xenoblade elements aside from Shulk and just a bit of Gaur Plains.
-No Melia Antiqua.
From Operation Rainfall desperation to full-fledged Smash character; welcome to the family, Shulk!

We know it's the same actor, the guy who played Shulk in Xenoblade tweeted that he had done VA work for a secret project he couldn't talk about

TrueBlue

So wondering if anyone else noticed in the English trailer for his reveal....they changed his VA didn't they? Riki and Dunban seem to be the same with the few lines they have but Shulk just seems kind of....off.

Really? Sounds the same to me.

At the very least, I'm glad the Xenoblade cast has their British voices. The localisation for that game was stunning.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

I've been playing an embarrassing amount of Xenoblade lately, and I'd say that sounds like his original VA. He's just not doing his "Shulk voice" well.

I think Riki had one or two new lines in the trailer with the same voice. Dunban was definitely the same, but all of the voice clips are directly from Xenoblade.

narton

Okay, I have a few questions as someone who hasn't played Xenoblade Chronicles. (Don't worry I will rectify this soon enough.)

1. I heard the VAs between the PAL and NTSC-U releases had different accents, is that why NoA hasn't posted a trailer?
2. Who was the big shadow at the end of the trailer?

deleted

I don't know - It's another sword fighter I guess. Looks okay. The addition of a Xenoblade character is unexpected, even if revealed a bit early through the leak.

That map though! Amazing! I hope it doesn't move too much or I'm forced to play it in Omega Mode.

Dr. Marios return is real!!!!!

Okay, I have a few questions as someone who hasn't played Xenoblade Chronicles. (Don't worry I will rectify this soon enough.)

1. I heard the VAs between the PAL and NTSC-U releases had different accents, is that why NoA hasn't posted a trailer?
I don't know about different accents, but the English trailer has been posted on the official Smash Youtube.

Metal Face, a villain from Xenoblade.

1. No. Same VAs for both regions.
2. Metal Face. One of the main antagonists for the game.

I would love alt final smashes (or at least swimsuit to go with that outfit) but it is probably just Riki and Dunban.

I know who it is, but before he spoke and the big shadow approached Ridley just came to mind.
You've made me want to have a Ridley with voice acting and to talk in that style now :(

I got that impression too. If it is the same actor it a case of not having done the voice for a few years or trying to play the character somewhat different (as others have said Smash Bros is not so serious). I think that was the case in Star Fox 64 3D (which sounds completely different, due to it being 15 years and different quality).

kulapik

Why did no one mention this?

screen-8.jpg

Boxer Shulk confirmed.

emb

I love that they seem to be trying to turn Xenoblade into a commercially noteworthy franchise. Smash inclusion + remake + sequel is a good step in that direction, at least.

Can't wait to try out Shulk, though most of his moves looked pretty slow. The Monado powers though... interesting. And as much as I hate having another counter move, it makes so much sense on him.

I love that they seem to be trying to turn Xenoblade into a commercially noteworthy franchise. Smash inclusion + remake + sequel is a good step in that direction, at least.

Can't wait to try out Shulk, though most of his moves looked pretty slow. The Monado powers though... interesting. And as much as I hate having another counter move, it makes so much sense on him.
Hope this is indicative of Nintendo brining more new franchises into the fold. They've been on a roll lately.

Heropon as the AT over Reyn is BULLSHIT

Could be holding off Reyn for post launch content?

Any major character that is not on the roster or as an AT could fill this DLC space... as another example i'm thinking if we don't see anything about Mewtwo at all before launch or in the base game, then he will be DLC.

Top Bottom