• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill pachislot 3.0 announced

Haunted

To be fair, there already are Suikoden, Pro Evolution Soccer and Castlevania pachinko/slot machines, so this is no surprise. MGS next.

Garlador

I thought I was over it. I thought I could be cool. My face is expressionless...

... But my soul?
freakout.gif

Bl@de

Not even mad anymore. This is hilarious. GAF always predicted Pachinko. Konami listened to the fans. Preordered.

GIF-Amused-busting-up-funny-laugh-lauging-LOL-zoom-GIF.gif

FUCK YOU Konami for destroying one of the best franchises in gaming. FUCK YOU

rjc571

Banned
I'll take a functional game of erotic pachinko or slots any day of the week over whatever the fuck Homecoming was.

Honestly do not get why people care so much. It's not the first time and it won't be the last time a company makes a spin off to make money.

Golnei

Honestly do not get why people care so much. It's not the first time and it won't be the last time a company makes a spin off to make money.

The salt-in-the-wound effect from those spinoffs being the only things ever made in that franchise for the foreseeable future. Nobody cared about the previous Castlevania or Silent Hill pachinko machines because the series were more or less alive at that point - now, it's overwhelmingly likely to be all they'll ever consist of.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Thats true...pinball post from earlier n all.

But...it seems Konami is going all in in this direction. Hope I'm wrong or they sell, license their IPs to someone else making console games.

From a business perspective I get it...as a fan of video games I hate it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Does chibi Indy ever do anything else than just casually walk from right to left on that screen?

no that is the final stage from the game.
you can go to 20+ different stages.
loads and loads of animations of the movies too .

AHA-Lambda

I genuinely don't understand how putting Silent Hill, Castlevania or any game IP for that matter benefits pachinko machines. Seriously why does a gambling machine need an IP attached to it? :/

ExVicis

Glad they got rid of Kojima for this! He was going to hold Silent Hill back from reaching this! Behold the true potential of Silent Hill!

Oersted

I genuinely don't understand how putting Silent Hill, Castlevania or any game IP for that matter benefits pachinko machines. Seriously why does a gambling machine need an IP attached to it? :/

Brand recognition. You have a 5 pages long and counting thread on a western dominated forum, crying over some pachinko machines. It works.

SoulUnison

Banned
On one hand Pachinko is a huge, huge deal in Japan and this is just a company getting their IP in on the gold rush.

On the other hand, please stop kicking my cold, limp body, Konami. I'm already dead.

I can see the Konami execs watching this thread and laughting.

"You missed Metal gear?
You missed castlevania?
You missed PT?

Look at me releasing all this Pachinkos, I don't give a damn >: ) "

Kumquat

More Konami news. This is some crazy stuff and I'm not just talking about IGN actually doing some journalism!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08...pany?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

An article in Japanese financial newspaper Nikkei paints a grim picture of the situation at Konami, suggesting employee morale is at an all-time low.

The article itself is in Japanese and behind a pay wall, but freelance localiser Thomas James has translated the salient information into a summary that's unlikely to prove happy reading for fans of the company.

Silent Hills' Cancellation and the Slow Death of Konami - Podcast Unlocked
07:33
The article claims Konami spent more than $80 million on the development of Metal Gear Solid V. While it's unclear whether the ballooning budget was a factor in the highly-publicised fallout between series creator Hideo Kojima and Konami, CEO of a Tokyo-based game industry consultancy Serkan Toto has claimed Kojima's fall from grace occurred because MGS V was delayed.

The piece also alleges problems at Konami extend far further than just those being seen by the public thanks to Kojima's visibility. Issues apparently started back in 2010 following the success of mobile game Dragon Collection - it was then the company started to see low-cost high-profit titles as a desirable area for focus, especially when contrasted with expensive console games.

With this in mind, it shouldn't surprise anyone to hear development on titles in the Love Plus and Suikoden franchises have both been halted, with the creator of the former having also left the company.

Kojima Reportedly Leaves Konami, Konami Responds - IGN News
01:23
The culture at the company is also explored, with cameras apparently placed in the corridors to monitor employee movements, while time cards are used to monitor how long everyone is taking for lunch, with those deemed to be taking too long being named and shamed throughout the company.

Most Konami employees aren't given their own email addresses. While sales and PR staff who have to communicate with outsiders do have permanent addresses, many others have one that is routinely randomised every few months.

Any members of staff "deemed useless" are apparently reassigned to other jobs, including assembly line work at Konami's pachi-slot machine factory, working as security guards and even cleaning up at company fitness clubs. Those affected allegedly include more than just junior staff, with senior producers hit in some instances. This is supported by a 2013 interview by Asahi News in which a former Konami employee was shunted from game development to working in a pachi-slot factory, causing him to suffer severe depression.

Konami Shifts Focus to Mobile Games - IGN News
01:15
In another instance, one employee announced on Facebook he was leaving the company for a new job. This post was then monitored by senior company officials, with any other employees who "Liked" the status reshuffled within the organisation.

Nikkei has attempted to reach out to Konami founder Kagemasa Kozuki for comment without success.

Konami recently announced it was planning to focus on mobile games in future, though this has apparently been somewhat misreported. The company has previously reiterated its commitment to creating new titles in the Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hills franchises going forward, while entries in the yearly Pro Evolution Soccer series aren't likely to disappear overnight.

Top Bottom