• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Siliconera: Super Bomberman R made by internal former Hudson devs + Hexadrive

So I played this at the Switch NYC event, and it was bomberman alright. I played the story mode co-op with a rep, and there was stuff like stages with different heights, busting up pillars to change the stage and boss battles with both bomberman-like enemies and giant robots that sorta get rid of being tied down to grid movement.

The performance was def weird though. I mean it played okay, but the game looked..sluggish kinda. The rep said it was a development demo build, so I'm hoping that gets worked out for the full retail release.

I don't think I'd get a game like this for $60, so I hope they price it well. (Especially since story mode probably won't have online support.)

HonMirin

They are releasing this and Metal Gear Survive(lol). There is always a chance for redemption, they have too many great IP's for me to fully give up hope. I'm probably just fooling myself but this game is a move in the right direction.
Maybe they're taking a few steps back to get a good run up for when they totally jump off the cliff.

deleted

It looks pretty okay if you ask me. Solid Bomberman.

I was a bit hyped as they said that you could customize your Bomberman with stuff you earn by playing the Single Player. My head was spinning in the direction of Bomberman 64. Then I saw the guitar on a players back on the japanese Stream :p

Celine

First Momotaro Dentetsu and now Bomberman:
what-year-is-this.gif

But seriously I hope Konami will price Super Bomberman R right and it's a worthy Bomberman.
Multiplayer Bomberman is always fun as hell.

Alrus

I expect the pricing to be stupid.

Still I hope this is at least a decent success, I'm still super sad Bomberman 3DS cancelled.

Gaspard

Gosh Bomberman '93 and '94 are still really fresh gameplay wise today.

If the games were given a suped up local multiplayer VC treatment I think this would be a bigger catch to me than Zelda.

While I'm so happy to see a new Bomberman game, I do wish it was stylized a bit more. Not 100% sold on the visual aesthetic. The 2D art is perfect, then it turns into realistic textures and lighting with bloom:

Screen_Shot_2017_01_13_at_12.15.50_PM.0.png
super-bomberman-r-nintendo-switch_300939_pn.jpg

I'm being picky of course, but a more abstract style would also help it be more visually legible, which apparently is an issue.

Regardless, if this sells well, the hopefully Konami realizes people still want Bomberman.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anyone play this yet? Giant Bomb said it ran really poorly, Treehouse video seemed fine.

I have some strong affection for Bomberman back in the day so I will get this if it's worth getting.

Played two rounds in tabletop mode today. Didn't notice any performance issues, but I was just concentrating on a small corner of a small screen.

morikaze

Banned
The game looks really good. I am more than willing to fork over my money to Konami on this one. Hopefully this is the beginning of a turn-around over there, I never expected Konami to give Bomberman such a serious chance!

GOOCHY

If Hudson Soft still exists in spirit does that mean I'm not unjustified in my dreams of a Bloody Roar PS4 game?

Jamaro85

Played the heck out of the first Super Bomberman and haven't played a single one since. Definitely was part of my childhood and I'd love to check it out again. I think that type of game today would be something both I and my little cousins would enjoy.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Based on the footage I'm curious but I don't have any friends so perhaps I'll pass
:´-(

Does it support online multiplayer, both battle and co-op modes?

If Nintendo expects me to pay for online, then the majority of Switch games better have online support.

I hope this is cheap so I can sell my friends on it easily.
No kidding. My brother is a total casual and hasn't purchased a system himself his whole life, but he's getting Switch Day 1. Would love to have some fun multiplayer right off the bat but no chance is he paying more than $30 for this

Spy

There's no excuse for this not to be 1080p 60fps. I'm hoping something can be done before launch but doubtful.

The Giant

Banned
*in.gif*

Been way too long, and I'm hoping that this lil deal Ninty and Konami have for the sake of Bomberman and Momotaro may extend to others in the catalog.

Just let the guys at Good Feel (Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby Epic Yarn) get a chance to be reunited with Goemon/Mystical Ninja...please please please...!

This is what I have been hoping for years now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I am probably one of the few who would pay $60 for this. Full co-op story mode, multiplayer, etc. I'm in.

deleted

They really need to make it 1080p.

They need it to be 60fps! I don't think Konami puts enough money down for both.

I love the Artwork, hopefully the Coop and the MP is substantial enough for a 40 Euro game. The last few Bomberman titles I owned, I bought digitally for around 10 Euro.
And I didn't really like the WiiWare version. To in your face in regards to music and style.

I got to try this out at the NYC Switch Preview Tour last night. I was playing through World 1 of the Story Mode with someone else. The weird camera angle does take some getting used to, but it's Bomberman, and he's back! Haven't seen any performance issues, and it looks great. But the gameplay matters more, and I enjoyed it.

steveovig

Has there been any mention on whether this has a 1-player Story mode of some kind? I stink at multiplayer and probably wouldn't play it much.

Has there been any mention on whether this has a 1-player Story mode of some kind? I stink at multiplayer and probably wouldn't play it much.

Yup, it does have a single player campaign. Seems to be what they were showing off at the Switch hands-on event.

Waiting to hear on a price, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Hoping it might reach 60 FPS at the very least by the time it ships.

OK GAF, I'll admit it - I've never played a Bomberman game.

I've just watched the Treehouse video of this though and I'm sold. I recon I can get my non-gaming wife playing this with me in coop, which will be great.

HardRojo

Good to know price isn't final. $30 would be nice, but it'll probably be $40. Also, Hexadrive is pretty good about performance right? So that should be a good sign.

moozoom

I hear this game has performance issues? Hexadrive is usually pretty good about making sure their games perform well.

Played a bit of multiplayer today (Paris event) I noticed no issues besides a bit of loading between the character selection screen and the actual beginning of the match. We were 4 players and played on a tv, not on the switch screen. That was quite fun, and I even won the match ( mostly because the others killed themselves ). One mechanic I didn't remember : trolling the other players with bombs when you died, is super fun - and killing one enables you to come back into play.

The graphics doesn't have a particular style, but nothing come in the way of the gameplay. We played in the classic arena with brick walls. The little animations of the different bombers are cute though, I wanted to have the blue one but I didn't get to choose.

Overall, I'm sold - I can see many deathmatches in march.

HardRojo

Played a bit of multiplayer today (Paris event) I noticed no issues besides a bit of loading between the character selection screen and the actual beginning of the match. We were 4 players and played on a tv, not on the switch screen. That was quite fun, and I even won the match ( mostly because the others killed themselves ). One mechanic I didn't remember : trolling the other players with bombs when you died, is super fun - and killing one enables you to come back into play.

The graphics doesn't have a particular style, but nothing come in the way of the gameplay. We played in the classic arena with brick walls. The little animations of the different bombers are cute though, I wanted to have the blue one but I didn't get to choose.

Overall, I'm sold - I can see many deathmatches in march.

Yeah Bomberman makes for a great party game, easy to understand and straight to the point. Being able to throw bombs from the side of the arena after dying has been there before, but I don't remember being able to go back if you killed someone that way.

jnWake

I like the art style. Bomberman 64 also had generic stuff for the levels and it was a great game! The characters look good which is all that matters.

Now if we have a good story mode and the white Bomberman with wings comes back I'll be set. This game really wants me to preorder a Switch!

moozoom

Yeah Bomberman makes for a great party game, easy to understand and straight to the point. Being able to throw bombs from the side of the arena after dying has been there before, but I don't remember being able to go back if you killed someone that way.

The last game I played was the one with some Yoshi-Kangaroo things that you could mount - on SNES... so my memory is a bit dusty, haha. But I'm really happy to welcome back the cute Bombermen.

Next game to ressucitate on switch : PC kid Switch - Plz Konami.

was told that both Nintendo and Konami came together to help make it happen in the first place

Ok now I'm even MORE convinced that Nintendo pushed for this to happen to get Bomberman into Smash for Switch.

I assume he must've gotten quite a lot of votes in that Smash Poll. I don't really see any other reason for a new Bomberman, with classic visuals and gameplay, developed by ex-Hudson devs, to be a launch game for the Switch after the franchise had been buried for 800 years unless Nintendo wanted to put him in Smash and helped orchestrate all of this.

Top Bottom