• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim updated with new paid mods, marketplace and modding capabilities

SKSE64 update coming soon

tl;dr: new infrastructure for curated mods (no horse cock), Creation Kit and documentation updates, new paid mods, various fixes

This must be paving the way to Starfield and the Oblivion remaster (lol). Not all mods available here will be paid.

Matt_Fox

I think it might be....

Mowcno

Last time they tried to do this it crashed and burned. People don't want paid mods.

"This isn't the first time Bethesda has attempted to introduce paid mods for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The previous attempt was with a special Steam Workshop feature that was powered by a pay-what-you-want system that allowed users to pay within a certain price range for mods. The backlash from the community was massive, so much that paid mods disappeared from Steam Workshop in a matter of days."

Draugoth

Gold Member
lol

d4X5zWP.jpg

Last edited:
Last time they tried to do this it crashed and burned. People don't want paid mods.

"This isn't the first time Bethesda has attempted to introduce paid mods for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The previous attempt was with a special Steam Workshop feature that was powered by a pay-what-you-want system that allowed users to pay within a certain price range for mods. The backlash from the community was massive, so much that paid mods disappeared from Steam Workshop in a matter of days."
Last time they tried to this it was called Creation Club and was also implemented in Fallout 4. This is a relaunch with new features two years after all mods were made free in the Anniversary edition.

In hindsight, Steam would have been more convenient than these in-game stores...

Mowcno

Last time they tried to this it was called Creation Club and was also implemented in Fallout 4. This is a relaunch with new features two years after all mods were made free in the Anniversary edition.

In hindsight, Steam would have been more convenient than these in-game stores...
True, this is just a creation club relaunch but I imagine just like that it will mostly be ignored. Playing through Skyrim Anniversary Edition made me realise how mediocre most of the little content that it had was. This will not be embraced by the modding community.

Chukhopops

Let’s monetize something people did out of enjoyment, and enjoyed sharing with others.

Fuck off Bethesda/Microsoft. Maybe you should pay them for doing what your developers fail to?
Mods made for the Creation Club are developed by people contracted by Bethesda and therefore paid by Bethesda to develop them.

Whether paid mods should exist at all is a different question of course.

Edit: seems like there’s also an option to submit content directly, get it reviewed and receive royalties. Different model but the dev gets paid either way.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Bethesda and Todd are fucking geniuses. Have gamers pay them to fix their own games through modders.

I'm all for mod creators being able to profit off of their work. Some of these mods are monumental efforts with full teams engaged working on them, to be able to launch that work officially and be rewarded for your efforts?

This is good. Just hope the profit margin is heavily in favor of the creators, and not Bethesda.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Mods made for the Creation Club are developed by people contracted by Bethesda and therefore paid by Bethesda to develop them.

Whether paid mods should exist at all is a different question of course.

If that’s the case then Bethesda should offer them to users for free, instead of treating them like microtransactions.

Mephisto40

Fortunately most modders aren't interested. The creation club only got 74 entries in over 4 years.
I'm aware of this yeh, I bought the anniversary edition to try some of the mods, one of the mods I installed created a game breaking bug in my save I didn't realize until after 10 hours of playing, which meant if I wanted to carry on playing without the bug I had to basically write off the last 10 hours of my life

Rest assured that was the last time I played Skyrim

Gojiira

Damn, third times the charm eh?
Seriously though you would think they would have SOME sense of self reflection by now, the last time paid mods reared its ugly head the community answered by recreating all the paid ones and releasing for free with better assets, more functionality or better integration etc etc..
All paid mods ever did was irreparably damage the modding community and that isn’t hyperbole. Bethesda and by extension Microsoft should be ashamed. Greedy fucking morons.

The modders are just as much to blame tbh, they are the one's allowing Bethesda to monetize their work
Elianora is an interesting case. She made player houses in Skyrim. Was against paid mods on Steam. Refused to upgrade her old mods for Skyrim SE, told others they're not allowed to do it either.
Then she made paid mods for the Creation Club and did contract work on Starfield (clutter and lighting).
Now she has a new player house available for purchase with this relaunch.

The way I see it, she's one of those directly to blame for Valve abandoning paid mods. I don't think anyone minds a curated paid mod market, but the in-game market and the dumbass currency system are awful. If I want her new house I have to purchase 750 credits for 7 euros, but the house costs 500 credits. The way it was done in 2015 was better.

StereoVsn

I mean....It's a very old game, if people want to support Bethesda and Creators at the same time...I'm not too upset by it. But almost assuredly it's foundational bricks being laid for unification of the paid mod process for all their games would be my guess.
The issue is that because it’s an old games and so many mods depend on other mods, this is just a minefield and will result in mods being a lot less likely to be released in the future or be used.

Now it’s easy to throw 200 mods at Skyrim to properly mod it. With this shit you will pay more than a full game for it.

What it will do is a)Diminish the modding community and b)Result in less engagement with Bethesda games with c)Resulting in lower long term sales.

Good luck with having Starfield be active for next 12 years.

It broke a bunch of my mods. I really hate having the stable period were mods just work then they just break shit. People in the Fallout 4 we're saying an update was in the pipeline so I imagine a similar thing is going to happen to that game and break my mods there too.

The guy behind Sim Settlements just announced he was starting up an entire studio for the purpose of making new content for BGS games, as I'm sure this is coming to everything.

I fully support mod authors getting paid for their work, and it looks like we're already seeing people making the jump into turning a hobby into careers. Unlike the last time creators are now able to set their own prices, and earn royalties instead of being paid up front.

IAmRei

are they not too late to the party? it's a game that was released a decade ago... and there are tons of mod out there already and free...

That's actually hilarious. For the past week, I've been seeing people on Twitter complaining about Skyrim servers being down (I had no idea Skyrim had servers btw), and it turns out it was down so they can add paid mods.
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

Last edited:

Merkades

I think it might be....
I would say "no". Everquest released in March of 1999, it is still live and receiving expansions to this day. This month it will receive its 30th expansion. It may not run on every device known to man, but I would count actual content as more of worth than playing on a refrigerator.

killatopak

The thing with mods is someone actually has to have vested interest in the base game to actually put in the work.

If Bethesda is using this as a crutch on their game then they’re gonna have a bad time. Monetizing it just makes it even worse as people will be less likely to use it. You’re walking on thin ice Bethesda.

StereoVsn

I'm all for mod creators being able to profit off of their work. Some of these mods are monumental efforts with full teams engaged working on them, to be able to launch that work officially and be rewarded for your efforts?

This is good. Just hope the profit margin is heavily in favor of the creators, and not Bethesda.

It broke a bunch of my mods. I really hate having the stable period were mods just work then they just break shit. People in the Fallout 4 were saying an update was in the pipeline so I imagine a similar thing is going to happen to that game and break my mods there too.
Need to set the game to only update at launch and launch through the mod tools.

There is also a file you can set to read only which will prevent updates (can’t launch through Steam if you do that).

Also, GoG version was like $10 on sale and they don’t force updates.

All in all though this is bullshit . F Bethesda for trying this crap again.

The thing with mods is someone actually has to have vested interest in the base game to actually put in the work.

If Bethesda is using this as a crutch on their game then they’re gonna have a bad time. Monetizing it just makes it even worse as people will be less likely to use it. You’re walking on thin ice Bethesda.
Not true at all in my experience. I couldn't tell you how many games from Thief/Doom/Elder Scrolls/Fallout/Build Engine/Etc with games I have no interest in that I'll still play if there's an interesting mod to check out.

killatopak

Not true at all in my experience. I couldn't tell you how many games from Thief/Doom/Elder Scrolls/Fallout/Build Engine/Etc with games I have no interest in that I'll still play if there's an interesting mod to check out.
I’m talking about mod creators.

I’m talking about mod creators.
I'm sure that's true to an extent, but I'd wager there's a surprising large amount of creators that don't really have an interest in the base game in any real capacity and strictly like the act of creating and seeing what they can do within the limitations of the tech/toolset.

Top Bottom