• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuShtink

Truly a better option. No mods at all, but at least you hang on to your "principles."

Plenty of people would still make quality mods without this system in place.

And didn't your mod land you guys a deal with Valve anyway? Yea man the whole scene was such a travesty...

Nzyme32

wait..what if someone has an old version of the Wet and Cold mod from Nexus and Steam finds that and doesn't allow u to play it since it clearly states that if u have the same file name ..it will ask you if you bought it first ? o_O

then it will not allow you to play then?

The old version is still on the workshop and is free

MUnited83

For you.
You entire contribution to this thread so far consists of you aggressively going after anyone who criticizes this type of paid content and calling them entitled. Level 7 susceptible confirmed. It's just hilarious to me how many people have taken on the "entitlement" attitude ever since the gaming media started throwing that word around after the Mass Effect 3 ending debacle. Marketing works apparently.
I think it's more hilarious how you don't actually address a single one of my points and the only thing that comes up to your mind is arguing about the word entitled. But keep it up breh, people should work for you for free. They have to work for you for free.
FUCK YOU, WORK FOR FREE.

Yep, this.

JC Lately

Shit why does news like this always drop when I’m at work?! I need to grab the mods I was wavering on before they all get taken down so I can be nickeled and dimed to death.

wickfut

Banned
From the Nexus mod author section of the forums (it's hidden if you haven't uploaded a mod and hit x amount of DLs)

This may bring some hope.. even though very few mod authors have answered.

euqyDZ.jpg

Skux

This is a disaster waiting to happen. How many people are going to steal mods and charge for them? And how will Valve support the victims? How many mods are going to break after the devs update the game?

This goes against the spirit of modding. You do it because you love it, not to make money. It's a fan creation, not a product to sell. As soon as the motivation becomes money you'll get a whole lot of lowest common denominator crapware with price tags on it. Steam Workshop will turn into the iTunes app store.

Qassim

Mods have been mostly free for 25 years. Why the fuck should that change now? People mod the games because they love it and want to make it better in their image for the fans of the game. Now its going to turn into a pointless cash-grab from pathetic people trying to make a quick buck.

So all those people who made great mods and made them available for free are now going to become those pathetic people? If they were willing to work for free before, why should they change now?

They were always free to charge for their mods, and in the past, some have. The only difference here is that an easy infrastructure is provided for them.

Krejlooc

Banned
Modding has always been a service to the pc gaming community, not a career with entitlements.

I should be grateful to be at the gluttonous pc gaming community's service, really. It's quite an honor to have people play my mod. Thank you, sir, may I have another?

The old version is still on the workshop and is free

wheew

cuz it's been a looong time since i played skyrim with mods..and i still have millions of mod packages on my hard drive from tons of mods :3

but man..this thing is blowing up....i mean i could just donate to the modders or something :(

also that 25% split is so low for the modders to get o_O

MUnited83

For you.
Mods have been mostly free for 25 years. Why the fuck should that change now? People mod the games because they love it and want to make it better in their image for the fans of the game. Now its going to turn into a pointless cash-grab from pathetic people trying to make a quick buck.

People who mod for love have been completely assassinated, it seems.

Krejlooc

Banned
Plenty of people would still make quality mods without this system in place.

And didn't your mod land you guys a deal with Valve anyway? Yea man the whole scene was such a travesty...

I dont have a deal with valve. I have met their vr team, we talk, I am likely getting a vive, but they dont pay me.

This is a career. Merely "meeting your heroes" is not compensation.

VariantX

Yeah, this is just a cash grab. 25% goes to the creator? Where does the other 75% go? That alone raises a ton of red flags for me.

Juniez

Banned
I don't understand why we don't have those great mods like Heart of Evil or Afraid of Monsters anymore guys. where did all of the free free free good mods go.

I have no problem with this, but those who do, see this is what's suspicious about all this Steam centralization.

Charging for mods has always been possible outside Steam. Free mods will always be possible outside Steam.

Branson

This would probably piss me off if I ever used mods from the steam workshop.

Nexus was always the better modding place for sure, but this is going to effect them in some way too. I hope for a huge support in their favor from this but I just always assume the worst.

YuShtink

I should be grateful to be at the gluttonous pc gaming community's service, really. It's quite an honor to have people play my mod. Thank you, sir, may I have another?

You're the one who decided to get into making mods, dude. I didn't force you. If you wanted to make money, making mods was probably a bad decision. Sorry if it worked out badly for you, but maybe you should have tried to get a real job with a real software company instead? Or just make your own game?

Juniez

Banned
I have no problem with this, but those who do, see this is what's suspicious about all this Steam centralization.

Charging for mods has always been possible outside Steam. Free mods will always be possible outside Steam.

there's a lot of clauses in modding tools that prohibit you from profiting off of creations made from those tools, like source sdk for one

You're the one who decided to get into making mods, dude. I didn't force you. If you wanted to make money, making mods was probably a bad decision. Sorry if it worked out badly for you, but maybe you should have tried to get a real job with a real software company instead?

haha oh shit. here it is. GET A REAL JOB

HowZatOZ

Banned
Nothing like this has ever worked out well for the end consumer. To think otherwise is silly.
There are countless examples of games right this very moment that are still offering free mods. Hell you should be more worried about the ability to mod than the charging of mods. But you've got your agenda set and will keep jumping those canyons for your slippery slope arguments.

Well, not my words, Chesko's from the Workshop.

Huh. I'm still somewhat confused, because it sounds like the onus is on the creator to declare how much they're giving to these other parties/content creators, even though it doesn't really say that in the agreement.

Just from the way it's worded, it sounds like there's nothing stopping someone from uploading a mod and claiming sole credit/creation.

I don't like this idea... I think the donation system is good enough. I thought the principle behind this was that modders made the changes to enhance their own games and share with the community not to make cash. If the mod is broken or if it damages your PC I guess it will be a lot more complicated to get a refund... I don't know.

Brakke

Banned
This thread is embarrassing.

This is a cool idea. If nothing else, monetizing mods encourages more developers to include more robust mod tools.

YuShtink

There are countless examples of games right this very moment that are still offering free mods. Hell you should be more worried about the ability to mod than the charging of mods. But you've got your agenda set and will keep jumping those canyons for your slippery slope arguments.

Who says I'm not worried about that too? I am.

And dude, this system was just put into place like today. Obviously there are still free mods now, but what about 3 years, 5 years, 10 years down the line?

justjim89

Why did you make a mod to begin with, if not to have people play it?

Did you start modding with starry-eyed dreams of Valve and Bethesda profiting from your efforts before eventually letting you in on the deal?

yuraya

Bethesda and Valve have no right to any of the money for these mods. Especially Bethesda. They ended support for the game and stopped selling dlc. They could have continued releasing more content after dragonborn. But their lazy ass didn't. Modders did and now bethesda wants a piece of that pie? Pay 99 cents to change weather in your game and most of that money goes to the developer who should have had a weather option in the settings to begin with. Instead they released buggy vanilla version day one.

Yea ok lol such awful revenue split. You could make an argument for Valve taking a cut but at the most it would be like 10%.

It should be

Content makers = 90%

Valve = 10%

The current notion of content makers only getting 25% is such a scam and robbery. I can't believe anyone would support it. Just awful smh. On top of that all the terrible dlc practices from bethesda in the past...this split is like adding insult to injury.

eyeless

how many of those in here defending this as good for consumers are big skyrim mod users and have paid/will be paying for a bunch of the mods they previously subscribed to to support creators? this is good for modders i agree, some money vs. no money will be appealing to pretty much all modders, and i'd just like to see some screencaps of people who have now spent 200 dollars on a list of the kind of minor but useful mods we all use when playing these games

Skux

How many people steal commercial games and charge for them?

Shady iPhone developers do it all the time. Remember how Nintendo had to clamp down on it after all those copycats (many of which directly lifted game assets) on the iTunes store?

Krejlooc

Banned
haha oh shit. here it is. GET A REAL JOB

Not even the most ridiculous thing said in this topic, sadly. My sarcastic retort about being honored to make mods for an ungrateful audience? Someone else said it earlier in this thread without irony.

But ya, I should have gotten a real job. Hahaha.

Almighty

Honestly. I am changing my mind to that this is not looking so good for the future.

People sarcastically talk about "Oh yeah, free mods totally doesn't exist anymore.", sure they do, but for how long? Looking at the Workshop page, more and more mods are slowly putting on a price tag. The prices seem small, 1.5 euros for a armor, 2.9 euros for a armor, 5 euros for a mod that adds wet or cold effects to your character, but then when you start adding all these together, this is turning into a hefty bill that is expensive for a lot of people. The amount of mods I've used would at this rate put me back probably 500 euros or something, many to just try and see how they are and change the game.

I wouldn't be able to support that anymore and would most likely all out quit the game.

So much in this industry is starting to ask for money from me now. The initial price of the game, the microtransactions, the DLC, subscription fees, now mods are gonna turn to that as well, everything is clawing at my wallet and I honestly don't like it.

That's pretty much what my friend said as well. The next few months will be interesting to see what prices the mods settle at. As it stands right now even as someone who doesn't use many mods(two dozen at most usually) if I were to get just three of the same mods I did before at the default price I would be paying more then I did for Skyrim and all its DLC. So yeah unless most of the mods I use stay free or go for pennies I just don't care enough about modding a game to pay that much for the pleasure. As I said though it will be interesting to see where the Skyrim market settles and how the Fallout 4 modding scene turns out with what I assume will be paid mods from the start.

YuShtink

Apparently not since we are in a topic about how I can charge for my mod now.

And that's good for you. But not for me and the rest of the gaming community in general. Your mod specifically might be 100% worth the money. I'm really not trying to put you or your work down. But in the end this will only help ruin the community.

MUnited83

For you.
Who says I'm not worried about that too? I am.

And dude, this system was just put into place like today. Obviously there are still free mods now, but what about 3 years, 5 years, 10 years down the line?

Considering the way you treat modders you don't deserve a single free piece of content, so there's that.
But free mods will continue to exist in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 30 years. Free mods won't stop existing.

Krejlooc

Banned
Why did you make a mod to begin with, if not to have people play it?

Did you start modding with starry-eyed dreams of Valve and Bethesda profiting from your efforts before eventually letting you in on the deal?

Stupid shit like this. So those who make money arent passionate? I made mods because A) I love my work and B) because the pad my portfolio leading to work.

Here's the secret, guys - devs dont always do work for their audience. Most of what I do, I do for myself, and it just so happens that others love what I do, too.

Maniac

Banned
I would be willing to make an account bet that Black Mesa will eventually appear on the front page. EDIT: In fact, let's make this friendly. We'll do an avatar bet. If Black Mesa isn't featured on steam's front page within a month of release, you control my avatar. And vice versa otherwise.

haha

Black Mesa is a whole other beast entirely, though. There's quite a gap between "having done licensing deals with Valve to release a game using some of their assets" and "monetising individual items in a singleplayer game"

The gap is huge, and you wont be seeing these items that the fuss is all about make it to the front-page, but mods-turned games? Sure. But that's nothing new, and that's never been what people are going nuts over.
It is still a mod, and other big name mods are, and will be, offered the same sort of licensing deal. This is all part of valve's bigger plan for UGC, one they went over a year and a half ago.
It's so far removed from being a mod that it's a really crap argument. I can't say I mind all this, but someone asking me to pay $4 for a single sword in a singleplayer game? Now that is just out-right dumb.

But again, There's an ocean of difference between Natural Selection, Black Mesa, Garrys Mod etc and these... In-game-assets being charged for.

how many of those in here defending this as good for consumers are big skyrim mod users and have paid/will be paying for a bunch of the mods they previously subscribed to to support creators? this is good for modders i agree, some money vs. no money will be appealing to pretty much all modders, and i'd just like to see some screencaps of people who have now spent 200 dollars on a list of the kind of minor but useful mods we all use when playing these games

Is it really good for modders? They get a 25% cut and have to make $400 profit before seeing a dime of that money.

I imagine this condition will kill things pretty quickly, unless they change it. Right now it's pure exploitation with a dangling carrot.

Branson

Why not? More robust tool=more mods=more money.

Honestly thats a best case scenario. In a perfect world GTA5 would have released with Mod Tools. There are only a few developers willing to give direct support to Modders and for some reason I dont see that changing.

Nzyme32

Not even the most ridiculous thing said in this topic, sadly. My sarcastic retort about being honored to make mods for an ungrateful audience? Someone else said it earlier in this thread without irony.

But ya, I should have gotten a real job. Hahaha.

Don't you technically have a real job in part because of your "fake job"?

Qassim

Complaining about not getting paid for modding is like complaining for not getting paid to volunteer at a soup kitchen.

It's not about complaining about not getting paid, it's about people being so entitled as to suggest you shouldn't have the option to charge for your work.

Imagine if someone told you weren't allowed to charge for the work you did at your job, yes, you're totally free to not charge for it - but it should be your choice.

wickfut

Banned
Considering the way you treat modders you don't deserve a single free piece of content, so there's that.
But free mods will continue to exist in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 30 years. Free mods won't stop existing.

but large quality mods, mods that are currently free probably won't be.

I wonder how many of the new paid for mods are reliant on SKSE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom