• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Mohonky

Well let's see those receipt.. Link me to your tolerance video?

Im not going out of my way to make a video just because you seem to have an issue with something you dont actually have in your possession just because 'system warz' and concern trolling lol.

Sephzilla

There's a part of me that feels like the Switch was designed around getting people to buy as many accessories for the thing as possible. If you want a controller with an actual D-Pad you need to buy a Pro Controller. You need to by an accessory to charge the joycons when they aren't attached to the tablet. You need a screen protector because the screen is plastic instead of glass.

Ugh.

Maybe the perk of the plastic is that its more shatter resistant

Don Lapre

Easier to scratch but harder to crack. Might be a worthwhile trade off for kids handling it.

You saw how many gamepadless wii u's there were.

lt519

Plastic survives drops on concrete at least...I'd actually take plastic and a lower cost and just get a tempered glass screen protector.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
We have known that it isn't a (Gorilla)glass screen for who knows how long but the same people will act shocked again because of reasons.

If you can't handle your screen getting scratches while using it for years get a protector. I couldnt care less... It's a system I'll use every day and if I upgrade to a revision down the line I'll gift it to my nephew lol.

I've been following it pretty closely.
I've never seen anyone mention it was anything other than some type of glass. Even user impressions from the preview tour.

Guess I can't trust people to tell the fucking difference between hard plastic and glass.

Redd

Everyone saying to buy a tempered glass protector, okay where? There are none in stock available before the 10th. Going by this claim a week of use and it's already fuucked

My protectors got here weeks ago. My Zelda and one of my pro controllers got delayed until Tuesday though.

Shiggy

I thought this was pretty obvious after initial previews. Was more surprised when others suddenly said it's glass in the other thread.

Don't most tablets at that price have gorilla glass?

sirap

Make sure to clean the inside of the dock every now and then. I had a tiny grain of sand stuck to the tip of my Apple Pencil and it scratched the shit out of my Ipad's screen. God knows where that sand came from but I'm glad I put on a glass protector first.

So is no one going to mention that the scratches in the picture are on the border and not the actual screen and also why are these people the only one's reporting it? I mean Giant Bomb admitting to dropping theirs.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
None of the Switch hardware reviews mentioned this

These gaming journalists getting paid for fuck all
Or its not a big deal because it's a high quality screen after all? Never had any issues with my Vita screen yet we will have people on this topic acting as if they are using OG Gameboy screens because they read plastic xD

I assumed it was glass. I was going to go search for one after work tonight but I think I'm just going to buy the WiiU Zelda now. I literally am floored the screen isn't glass.

Maybe if you're jerking it out of there like a crazy person or slamming it in there. Treat it like a $300 piece of equipment and you should be ok, no?

So you suggest kids not play with it? Sure an adult will take care not to just ram the thing in there but kids just want to play as soon as possible and not think about taking care not to scrape the inside of the unit.

Bummer. I hate screen protectors (I think they make the picture look worse, and they tend to get grungy with age), but I couldn't trust myself to treat each docking like I was joining spacecraft in orbit. I'd be bound to fumble it sooner or later. Hopefully there'll be a hardware revision sometime next year.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Plastic? Really Nintendo? If you were gonna use materials used in Fisher Price toys, then price the thing like a Fisher Price toy, don't price it like an Apple tablet.

Ydelnae

latest

Quonny

Or its not a big deal because it's a high quality screen after all? Never had any issues with my Vita screen yet we will have people on this topic acting as if they are using OG Gameboy screens because they read plastic xD

You're also not sliding your Vita into a dock against hard plastic railings.

x-Lundz-x

Im not going out of my way to make a video just because you seem to have an issue with something you dont actually have in your possession just because 'system warz' and concern trolling lol.

It's cool, I think I'll trust people who do this for a living.

But im told this is a premium device.

Haha.... My Switch just shipped yesterday afternoon too. Bad timing to find out about Nintendo once again making an asinine, extremely greedy hardware decision. It's 2017, and Nintendo still utterly refuses to take the short-term hit to get the basics right.

Harmen

Kind of baffled that this wasn't a key point in the hardware reviews I have seen.

Doesn't this mean it's more durable? I could be wrong.

Depends. Not for normal usage, plastic will scratch way faster. Modern glass barely scratches at all unless you are using sharp tools on it. But in terms of blunt or fall damage plastic does not really break, and glas obviously does. I think Nintendo chooses to stick with plastic due to that.

Top Bottom