• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Impulsor

Bought!

Is there any venting on the back of the unit? Wouldn't laying it on its back increase heat if using the extension?

Not anymore than putting it inside the dock, no?

It has two vents in the back, but when in the dock, they face the inside of the dock rear wall, so...

ViciousDS

Banned
Not anymore than putting it inside the dock, no?

It has two vents in the back, but when in the dock, they face the inside of the dock rear wall, so...

There's a cutout isn't there in the dock? I thought you could see it when that back panel is flipped down

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I took off my foam solution after inspecting my dock. It's got a very slight bend, but the actual unit has plenty of room. I don't think mine is susceptible to scratching.

Considering the majority of this thread is retreading itself about what screen protector to buy and how to tell if there is a bend, most people are being overly cautious. If you can't tell your dock is bent, you're fine. Buy a tempered glass screen protector regardless--it doesn't have to be amFilm.

Coffinhal

Which USB-C female to USB-C male cable should I buy to put the Switch out of the dock but still being able to play "as docked" ? Thanks

Slaythe

I got my tempered glass SP !!!!

Only one... the last one in fact.

Now time to ruin it and get fingerprints / dust all over and cry.

sirap

I got my tempered glass SP !!!!

Only one... the last one in fact.

Now time to ruin it and get fingerprints / dust all over and cry.

Make sure you run through the usual checklist. Hot shower, clean cloth, plenty of tape etc. Good luck!

I thought everyone was either crazy, lying or really clumsy at first. But that's because I lucked out and got a switch with no issues (knock on wood).

Seeing these bent dock pics though. Its fucking embarrassing for Nintendo. Really need to make sure they correct this for the next batch. And offer something for everyone affected by this. Maybe a discount code?

Bluenoser

I bought my Switch on launch day Friday and set it up when I got home that afternoon. When I put it in the dock I thought "wow, pretty snug". The screen and the back of the Switch were making contact with the dock. I didn't think anything of it and went on to continue the set up and eventually immerse myself in BOTW. That was also the last time I checked GAF.

So today I come on to see how everyone is loving and enjoying their Switch, and holy hell i see multiple threads of Switch fails, particularly Scratchgate. Apparently I learn on here that I have one of the "defective" docks in which the front slanted inwards. So the first thing I do is look for scratches on the screen and bezel. And I found nothing while looking under a bright lamp and then with a flashlight. Not even fine scratches or microabrasions. The only things on the screen were a few oily smudges from my fingers. There were no scratches on the back either. I probably inserted and removed the Switch more than 50 times over the weekend, and I wasn't even trying to baby it. A bunch of times I put it in at a slight angle and on several occasions jiggled it in the dock in the process of removing the joy cons with one hand.

Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones because I haven't experienced ANY of the issues I'm reading about. I don't plan on using a screen protector but I guess I'll try to be a bit more careful when inserting and removing from the dock.

Yeah based on my very limited experience, docking/undocking maybe 6 times, nothing even resembling a scratch on my screen. Mind you I've been careful due to this thread, and other reports, but mine is a snug fit (although not bent as far as I can tell) so the screen touches the plastic guides when sliding in, but I do it slowly. I've yet to see anyone provide evidence of contact scratches on the screen consistent with the way the dock is designed. The OP pictures don't make any sense- they are erratic, and not consistent with the motion of sliding in and out of the dock.

Coffinhal

I thought everyone was either crazy, lying or really clumsy at first. But that's because I lucked out and got a switch with no issues (knock on wood).

Seeing these bent dock pics though. Its fucking embarrassing for Nintendo. Really need to make sure they correct this for the next batch. And offer something for everyone affected by this. Maybe a discount code?

A fucking new dock for everyone.

Berordn

Not trying to say that scratches can't happen, but I think it would require negligence.

There's enough reports of hairline scratches from people being delicate with the system that it's rather presumptuous to say that.

I've been nothing but gentle and don't have anything like the OP but there's a couple very light scratches on the bezel. If there were dust in there I could see scratches like the OP developing.

krumble

Day 5 of docking and undocking the switch multiple times a day, looking at the switch under bright light, not scratched front or back... shouldn't I have deep scratches appear front and back in the next 2 days?
I think my dock is slightly bending in also..
Not saying it's not an issue, but like every issue on gaf recently, is this overblown?

And thousands/millions of people had no problems with their Samsung Note 7's but there was still a potential design flaw that caused problems for some users - just like this has been the case for some Switch owners.

Obviously the two are not on the same scale, but my point still stands.

dude....Note 7s were catching fire...we are talking about tiny almost invisible scratches here...

mrk8885

Banned
Guys, I don't think it's because of the dock, but I've got a big scratch/dent (1 mm large, 4 mm tall) on the lower right corner of the screen, just because I put it in my bag yesterday to show it to some co-workers. I thought it was dirt at first but it's not, it doesn't come off.

It's not a big deal, it's not noticeable when playing and it's definitely my fault for not buying a screen protector (currently waiting for me at a conbini next to my house, gonna stick it on as soon as I get home), but be careful. To compare, I have a Vita bought on day one with not a single scratch and I've been throwing it in my bag a lot. Same goes for my phone after a year of constant use.

Blame me as much as you want, but the screen is disappointingly delicate.

You just "throw it in your bag" unprotected? That ones kinda on you man.

Not trying to say that scratches can't happen, but I think it would require negligence.
The screen has been tested on the Mohs scale and is very soft. It's going to get scratched with day-to-day use regardless of your dock. It's designed like a kid's toy. The only solution is a screen protector.

Bluenoser

There's enough reports of hairline scratches from people being delicate with the system that it's rather presumptuous to say that.

I've been nothing but gentle and don't have anything like the OP but there's a couple very light scratches on the bezel. If there were dust in there I could see scratches like the OP developing.

I've wiped the guides off with my fingers several times too in order to ensure minimal dust makes contact with the screen. Assuming the plastic on the guides is nice and smooth with no nicks or abrasions it really shouldn't scratch at all, but any kind of defect or imperfection could cause scratches even while being careful. So you are right, I'll edit my post- negligence isn't the right word.

The screen has been tested on the Mohs scale and is very soft. It's going to get scratched with day-to-day use regardless of your dock. The only solution is a screen protector.

Is the general consensus that a glass screen protector is the way to go? Amazon has several for sale, but none have reviews yet, so I don't want to buy anything without some feedback.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
okay dudes, I got my amFILM a few minutes ago.

Turned on the shower on "burn down my flesh" hot and let it run for 5 minutes. air was super moist with 85%.

got off the original nintendo protector, cleaned the display with the stuff supplied by amFILM and applied the screen protector.

as you can see...you see nothing. no dust under the screen, not bubbles.

h1rpFRK.jpg

y8oXWED.jpg

I add the pictures in the highest resolution I got, so you can have a closer look. I had a hard time applying the nintendo screen protector and I couldn't do it without one bubble staying. It was super easy with this one.

Slaythe

Why do people keep saying this is overblown ?

Can't we be reasonable and understand that you're either fine or you have the unacceptable issue.

Those that didn't do anything wrong yet have their new device's screen ruined are not "overblowing" anything.

On the other hand, those crying that the design is flawed and need mass recalls and other bullshit are also being ridiculous.

It's a manufacturing problem more than anything, not a design issue, even though the issue could have been prevented with another design.

As for the plastic screen, considering how much more solid it makes the device, just buy a 10 dollars glass SP and you have a solid device kids can't break + a great protection for your screen. The SP should have been included in the box right off the bat, that is true, but I don't agree they shouldn't have used a plastic screen.

Slaythe

Turned on the shower on "burn down my flesh" hot and let it run for 5 minutes. air was super moist with 85%.

got off the original nintendo protector, cleaned the display with the stuff supplied by amFILM and applied the screen protector.

I add the pictures in the highest resolution I got, so you can have a closer look. I had a hard time applying the nintendo screen protector and I couldn't do it without one bubble staying. It was super easy with this one.

Don't worry fam I got you. I'll post mine where it goes horribly wrong shortly.

Also DO NOT put your switch in the dock for 48 hours to make sure it dries before you put it inside.

phant0m

Not saying it's not an issue, but like every issue on gaf recently, is this overblown?

Yes. It's weird, seems like there's a significant portion here that really wants the Switch be an awful flop. Probably just so they can say "haha told you", but still....

In the case of scratching, it seems like it's a static, or binary thing. Either it scratches easily or it doesn't, I doubt there's significant difference in manufacturing from unit to unit*. I've taken my unit in and out of the dock multiple times, not a scratch on it, as have many other users here. So, maybe there are people that don't treat their shit well?

*-I haven't heard anything about them using multiple screen mfrs yet

careful with buying the extension cable. the system will "work", but we don'tknow if it is providing enough energy/power for the switch to work as docked.

I would not use this for now, until somebody has done testing on how safe and reliable is this method.

Bluenoser

Yes. It's weird, seems like there's a significant portion here that really wants the Switch be an awful flop. Probably just so they can say "haha told you", but still....

Nintendo's lack of foresight for any of the issues and inconveniences early adopters are facing, is just staggering.

- Weak Joycon signal- so bad that it could be considered a defect (workaround- buy expensive pro controller)
- Poor dock design, causing scratches on screens (requires purchase of screen protector)
- Poor battery life in portable, with no way to charge (requires USB-C purchase)
- Ridiculous 32GB internal storage (requires purchase of SD card)

No one wants it to fail- people are understandably disappointed, as they expected better from Nintendo. It's like they went out of their way to make it not ready for market.

Slaythe

Nintendo's lack of foresight for any of the issues and inconveniences early adopters are facing, is just staggering.

- Weak Joycon signal- so bad that it could be considered a defect (workaround- buy expensive pro controller)
- Poor dock design, causing scratches on screens (requires purchase of screen protector)
- Poor battery life in portable, with no way to charge (requires USB-C purchase)

No one wants it to fail- people are understandably disappointed, as they expected better from Nintendo. It's like they went out of their way to make it not ready for market.

Calm down here. I've been pretty critical of the shortcomings of the system not to be called a "nintendo" stan but you're not quite fair here.

1) The Joycon issue isn't universal

2) The dock design is fine in itself, it's the faulty docks that are the issue (bent and applying too much pressure on the screen)

What it comes down to is TERRIBLE quality control and manufacturing. Which isn't any better for the consumers, but it's not a "design" flaw that demand rethinking.

- What you do mean no way to charge ? Also the battery is (sadly) as good as it was going to be, it's the technology that isn't significantly better.

- Storage : It's kinda like this for everything...

Coffinhal

How "poor" is the battery life ? Do you have an example of a similar product running a massive open world game with the latest technologies in it for 4, 5, 6 or more hours ?
Lots of powerbanks (which are widespread in 2017) seem to work to maintain the % or lower the speed at which the % decreases. 3h is plenty of time, most people don't play for long sessions. Of course a 10euros cable is needed but, hey,

How 32GB internal storage is "poor"? It doens't require an SD card, unless you want to go all digital or buy lots of indies. My PS4 is 500GB and it still enough to get every one of my games at the same time on the consoel.

Such bad faith! I could also add that screen protectors are pretty mandatory with every smartphone/small tablet device because scratches always happen, even with glass, and you can drop it on the floor or have a small shock and break your screen.

You missed the "required case to move your switch", "required second dock if you don't want to move your own from your house when you go to holidays", "required 2nd A/C adapter if you want to play in your bedroom", "required TV screen if you want to play on TV", "required 3 additionnal joy cons pairs if you want to play Bomberman with 8 players".

Also personnally my joycon is perfectly fine and I can't find any scratch yet.

Slaythe

Is anyone using microfibre stuck to their dock as a way of protecting the screen? Would that work?

Someone said this still resulted in a scratch.

Buy a 10 dollars tempered glass protector and you are 100% guaranteed your screen will be perfect.

Seik

Banned

Hopefully I will apply it as well as you, great job! :)

EDIT: Oh....so I do not have to go through the same process with a tempered glass? I really don't want to have dust stuck under it! :X

Bluenoser

Calm down here. I've been pretty critical of the shortcomings of the system not to be called a "nintendo" stan but you're not quite fair here.

1) The Joycon issue isn't universal

2) The dock design is fine in itself, it's the faulty docks that are the issue (bent and applying too much pressure on the screen)

What it comes down to is TERRIBLE quality control and manufacturing. Which isn't any better for the consumers, but it's not a "design" flaw that demand rethinking.

- What you do mean no way to charge ? Also the battery is (sadly) as good as it was going to be, it's the technology that isn't significantly better.

- Storage : It's kinda like this for everything...

Joycon issue is widespread enough, and has been tested by trusted people to the point where we can conclude it's an issue.

Yes, bad manufacturing quality control, but also, poor design. There were 100 different ways they could have designed this, but they chose to have it dock - they could have at least put some padding in there, or used a better screen on the device.

When I say no way to charge, I mean no way to charge while playing portable, without additional purchases of a power bank, or USB-C cable. They could have had a USB-C convert to AC in the box, which would have solved the problem.

Storage- there's really no defending this. This is 2017- we have different standards than 10 years ago.

Moose84

Someone said this still resulted in a scratch.

Buy a 10 dollars tempered glass protector and you are 100% guaranteed your screen will be perfect.

Strange, not sure how microfiber could scratch a screen. Personally I'm not keen on any screen protectors.

Rootbeer

Banned

<snip>
Thanks. I ordered one the other day and it shipped today.

But I think the bigger concern for people is if bubbles or other weirdness occurs during or after normal use, such as a somewhat long play session while the Switch is docked? Because bubbling was happening to some people using other screen protectors after heat exposure from normal play.

Can you please report back with your findings after some testing like that?
Don't worry fam I got you. I'll post mine where it goes horribly wrong shortly.

Also DO NOT put your switch in the dock for 48 hours to make sure it dries before you put it inside.
48 hours? I don't know if I can last that long... I might be able to do 24 hours. Where are you getting the 48 hour number from?

My joycons are FINE as well as my friends....so what are you talking about? Once again, something that happens to a very small amount of people is something that happens to everyone according to neogaf....

The battery life is as good as any other device that uses so much power as this one does.

32GB internal storage...and probably you have a 32GB internal storage iPhone (without the option of buying a cheap SD card to extend it) and paid for that a couple hundreds more than for the Switch but no complains about it....

By the way....did you buy a Switch? Cause most of the people here bitching about it don't even have one.

Bluenoser

My joycons are FINE as well as my friends....so what are you talking about? Once again, something that happens to a very small amount of people is something that happens to everyone according to neogaf....

The battery life is as good as any other device that uses so much power as this one does.

32GB internal storage...and probably you have a 32GB internal storage iPhone (without the option of buying a cheap SD card to extend it) and paid for that a couple hundreds more than for the Switch but no complains about it....

By the way....did you buy a Switch? Cause most of the people here bitching about it don't even have one.

Yes I did. Not that it should matter.

I actually defended it above regarding scratches, but criticism is still deserved. Anyone who refuses to accept said criticism and plug their ears are doing the community no favors.

Dunkley

dude....Note 7s were catching fire...we are talking about tiny almost invisible scratches here...

For many that's enough. You're free to handle your console whatever way you want but some people just wanna make sure it doesn't get scratched and that's okay too.

No need to downplay other people's concerns here, let them just take care of their console to the extent they want and you handle yours whichever way you want.

Seik

Banned

Please don't be like that.

Listen, I have a Switch myself and it works perfectly. Though it's no reason to downplay those who have problems with theirs.

As for the joy-cons, there are no statistic, nothing that shows the ratio of people that can have a problem with theirs, therefore you cannot say that it's a 'very' small amount of people.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. I ordered one the other day and it shipped today.

But I think the bigger concern for people is if bubbles or other weirdness occurs during or after normal use, such as a somewhat long play session while the Switch is docked? Because bubbling was happening to some people using other screen protectors after heat exposure from normal play.

Can you please report back with your findings after some testing like that?

48 hours? I don't know if I can last that long... I might be able to do 24 hours. Where are you getting the 48 hour number from?

before I read the warning with the 48 hours I had already docked my switch, because I also got a 3rd party lan adapter today and wanted to test it. I ran 4-5 Times LAN and Wifi tests.
During this time, in which the switch of course stayed cool nothing happened. I'll wait until tomorrow to do a longer zelda session with the switch docked.

But afaik Aztechnology already played with this screenprotector applied and the amazon reviews are all still good. I think if there was a widespread problem with tempered glass protectors the ratings on amazon would also go down pretty fast.

Great pics, thanks. This is probably the one I will get.

for people buying USB c cable extenders without doing some research:

" But the issue of incompatible cables is even more serious. Many companies, including my go-to source, Monoprice, are building USB-C cables of various quality and compatibility. If you're not careful, you can neuter or even damage your devices by using the wrong cable. Seriously: Using the wrong cable can damage your machine! This should not be possible, but there it is.

The problem is that the nintnedo switch DOCKED uses more power than handheld mode, and they switch basically overclocks. If you use an extender, the switch might not get enough power required to work harder, which might damage.

http://blog.fosketts.net/2016/10/29/total-nightmare-usb-c-thunderbolt-3/

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+BensonLeung/posts/HakwCMmd346

Lucifon

Any ORZLY orders on Amazon UK received theirs yet? I preordered back in January and it still hasn't turned up. There's a couple of reviews on there which appear legit but god knows.

ngower

Can't we be reasonable and understand that you're either fine or you have the unacceptable issue.

Those that didn't do anything wrong yet have their new device's screen ruined are not "overblowing" anything.

On the other hand, those crying that the design is flawed and need mass recalls and other bullshit are also being ridiculous.

It's a manufacturing problem more than anything, not a design issue, even though the issue could have been prevented with another design.

As for the plastic screen, considering how much more solid it makes the device, just buy a 10 dollars glass SP and you have a solid device kids can't break + a great protection for your screen. The SP should have been included in the box right off the bat, that is true, but I don't agree they shouldn't have used a plastic screen.

Preach. I posted a similar sorta diatribe in the other thread: that people need to chill out on harassing those who have flaw-free Switches. It's such a hostile, antagonistic launch and I think we need more sensible positions like yours. Props.

[EDIT] Someone on reddit reporting that the Nintendo online store pulled their docks. Maybe an update is incoming? I Hope, at the very least, that there's a dock not dissimilar to the 3DS dock at some point down the road.

Xiofire

Any ORZLY orders on Amazon UK received theirs yet? I preordered back in January and it still hasn't turned up. There's a couple of reviews on there which appear legit but god knows.

Mine shipped yesterday, but not arrived today. Says I should have it by the 9th. Will let you know how everything goes.

Top Bottom