• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Darcotik

Banned
388093Dontdothis.jpg

That's what I was thinking. I looked at mine, and they're totally smooth. No scratches of any kind, and I've been taking it out at least once a day.

But it's only been a few days. I noticed mine has no scratches but my dock was straight out of the box and now has a slight tilt.

I'm not really worried about the first few weeks, it's a year out that I'm worried about ...

But who knows, maybe it's just a batch or something? Either way, not taking the chance, will just play in portable until an extension has been used and tested, or another dock solution. Or I may just mod the front.

Xion86

Deciding to give a second screen protector a go after getting rid of the one from the Official Nintendo case (few dust particles got in which annoyed me too much). Getting a Hori one delivered this week and will give it a try. Never really use them for any devices I have, but this docking issue has me paranoid.

I've attached sticky tape on the 4 areas which come out on the dock for now (even then I get marks when moving my Switch really carefully in and out the dock, but don't think they are scratches as they eventually come off after a lot of wiping with a micro fibre cloth). But may remove the tape now, as the underside might get a bit mucky over many months.

Not had any other issues whatsoever with the Switch though :).

canocha

The left side of my screen is getting scratchs everytime i slide the console in and out.

Screen protector is saving me.

DyZ

I swear my amfilm protector was shipped on a bed of snails. Never getting this thing, lol.

They probably just can't keep up with demand at this point. Once it was mentioned that they were selling one of the better protectors for the Switch, their page just kind of blew up.

Business

Same here! I think I've just got some smudging at most. I think there's a hairline scratch on the light gray plastic (not the black screen bezel) but that must be from something else... maybe. I'm now using the screen protector that came with the official carry case, but will be replacing it with the tempered glass protector when it arrives next week (hopefully)

Is there an Amazon link for this?

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01FM4ZL2A/

I'm sure they must have it on .com too.

Xion86

It's funny as yesterday I was placing my Switch down into the dock "like a surgeon" as described earlier in this thread. Then did the same to lift it back up, SO slowly, and imagining it's like a game of Operation. Looked at the screen and marks all the way down the right side! Took a lot of wiping but they went away luckily, it's funny how that happened when even being so careful. My dock doesn't seem bent in anyway though. I'm going to remove the sticky tape I placed in the dock when I get home now though.

😂😂😂😂😂 that's hilarious

Since my dock was bent I've been using things to widen the gap. My dock seems to be stretching out quite nicely. I stretched it out for 20 hours last night and 24 the night before. Only docked it once but no scratches. Looked like a tight fit before so I never tried. Slides straight down now without touching the front of the dock but pulling it up I can see how a bent dock could scratch it. I don't like screen protectors, we TEAM RAW DOG over here... so I'll keep stretching it in between use

Firecrest

Do you all think Nintendo will offer a solution to this?

I remember the 3DS bezel scratches were actually covered by Nintendo and were eligible for a replacement unit. Unfortunately, it wasn't a REAL solution but maybe that's because people didn't seem as vocal about it.

This is definitely a bigger issue. And what's alarming is not only does it happen after a few times of docking your Switch (twice in my case), but that it's gnawing away at the back of the units as well. I really hope the gaming press starts covering this issue because right now, Nintendo, in their bubble away from the rest of the world, probably doesn't think it's that big of deal.

I remember the 3DS bezel scratches were actually covered by Nintendo and were eligible for a replacement unit. Unfortunately, it wasn't a REAL solution but maybe that's because people didn't seem as vocal about it.

This is definitely a bigger issue. And what's alarming is not only does it happen after a few times of docking your Switch (twice in my case), but that it's gnawing away at the back of the units as well. I really hope the gaming press starts covering this issue because right now, Nintendo, in their bubble away from the rest of the world, probably doesn't think it's that big of deal.
What's the clearance in millimeters between the dock and the Switch when mounted? Anyone try mounting small adhesive rubber pads along the inside of the dock?

I honestly just assumed that the stock dock would have pads/liners all along the inside to avoid this sort of thing in the first place. It was too obvious not to be true.

Shocked to find out in this thread that this isn't the case and shit is getting scratched up.

Why are people taking their docks apart?!?

Come on people. Some simple felt tape. Done.

If only Nintendo had thought of that.
Maybe in a future minor hardware revision. More likely in a future overpriced optional accessory.

I've not got a switch yet but I am interested in one so ill be keeping an eye on things like this in the hopes that they've worked it out by the time i come around.

bobeth

- The dock will inevitably scratch the screen
- I made a test doing some extremely rough docking/undocking and it doesn't scratch, I don't understand how this is happening
- YOU ARE A TROLL

????????
Actually doing tests instead of discussing based on a picture is trolling? What is wrong with you?

People claimed the dock scratched their switch.
Made some test, using the same switch and dock, without consideration about minute differences in hardware, coming to these conclusions: impossible to scratch, don't know how dock could possibly do that.
Then, a few hours later; oups, dock scratches the screen!
Just like, you know, people said in the first place..
So, time lost because of incredulity. Back to square one..

shiyrley

Banned
People claimed the dock scratched their switch.
Made some test, using the same switch and dock, without consideration about minute differences in hardware, coming to these conclusions: impossible to scratch, don't know how dock could possibly do that.
Then, a few hours later; oups, dock scratches the screen!
Just like, you know, people said in the first place..
So, time lost because of incredulity. Back to square one..
He literally said that he doesn't doubt that it's happening, but he wonders how it's possible. If you really, really think that doing tests is a bad thing when trying to reach a conclusion, and that he's trolling, then I don't really know what to tell you, and it's not really even worth it to think about what to tell you.

While we're at it, I'm gonna troll this thread too.

My dock doesn't scratch my Switch and I dock/undock it a lot with no screen protector. It isn't bent at all, it's 100% straight. That's my two cents. Or my trolling. Whatever suits your view.

Porkepik

Well used the hori regular protector and quite happy how it turned out. No bubbles and can t see dust trapped either, first time I succeed in that. However its also the first time I apply one the day I get the device. I think it will suffice for now 😊

Just received my amFilm protector and applied it. Does the thing really need to set for 24 hours? I mean, is there a meaningful distinction between that and, like, 12 hours? I really don't want to not play Zelda til noon tomorrow.

Just received my amFilm protector and applied it. Does the thing really need to set for 24 hours? I mean, is there a meaningful distinction between that and, like, 12 hours? I really don't want to not play Zelda til noon tomorrow.

who knows, just take one for the team and play zelda right away!!!

Dartastic

For those of you who got the AmFilm glass protector, have any of you had the screen bubble after the Switch has been docked? I thought I read somewhere that it's because people didn't let the screen protector settle; has this been confirmed?

I just ordered my protector a day or two ago and I really want it to be free from issues. :(
I'll admit i've been watching this gif for longer than i'll admit....so smooth....
Try owning a Saab and actually being able to do that with your cupholder. My friends always do that when they get in my car.

My amfilm shipped yesterday, but looks like it's not using Prime shipping. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use it, but it seems to be the safest bet until the inevitable dock re-design that Nintendo will charge us for. Last time I needed a screen protector was on my blackberry back in 2008. Thought those days were behind me, but here we are.

The design of the dock is seriously looking worse by the day. Like others mentioned, top loading with this dock isn't compatible with my entertainment center. I'm going to have to either pull the dock out to use it each time or have it sit horizontally. What worries me about leaving it horizontal is that the front will eventually start curving inwards since it doesn't seem very structurally sound, increasing the chances of scratches.

Poppyseed

Poppyseed

My amfilm shipped yesterday, but looks like it's not using Prime shipping. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use it, but it seems to be the safest bet until the inevitable dock re-design that Nintendo will charge us for. Last time I needed a screen protector was on my blackberry back in 2008. Thought those days were behind me, but here we are.

The design of the dock is seriously looking worse by the day. Like others mentioned, top loading with this dock isn't compatible with my entertainment center. I'm going to have to either pull the dock out to use it each time or have it sit horizontally. What worries me about leaving it horizontal is that the front will eventually start curving inwards since it doesn't seem very structurally sound, increasing the chances of scratches.

Yep, the dock is crappy. I'm going to use an extension cable and be done with it. I can't keep pulling the dock out to put the Switch in there. Just too much of a nuisance.

KingV

😂😂😂😂😂 that's hilarious

Since my dock was bent I've been using things to widen the gap. My dock seems to be stretching out quite nicely. I stretched it out for 20 hours last night and 24 the night before. Only docked it once but no scratches. Looked like a tight fit before so I never tried. Slides straight down now without touching the front of the dock but pulling it up I can see how a bent dock could scratch it. I don't like screen protectors, we TEAM RAW DOG over here... so I'll keep stretching it in between use

Soon your dock will be like goatse.cx with all that stretching.

This is super interesting. Can anyone with scratches check out their dock and confirm?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._came_back_from_a_friends_house_i_think_that/

Essentially, the OP there is saying some switch docks are missing the rubber foot at the bottom and that lip would be a prime area to cause a scratch.

That's crazy. No scratches on screen, I only have the bottom rubber, nothing near the top.

Also realized the kickstand lines up with the edge of the back plastic and that's why its being scratched to hell.

MattyG

Banned
Welp, guess I'm getting a USB-C cord for it then. That sucks because sliding it into the dock is a cool concept, but I'm not going to risk scratching it for that. Hopefully we get an updated design eventually that fixes this.

Actually, I have the dock with the rubber. Maybe it'd be fine? Not going to risk it until we get more info though. Or maybe I'll try the whole "microfiber cloth over the rails" thing if that solution has been working.

Poppyseed

This is super interesting. Can anyone with scratches check out their dock and confirm?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._came_back_from_a_friends_house_i_think_that/

Essentially, the OP there is saying some switch docks are missing the rubber foot at the bottom and that lip would be a prime area to cause a scratch.

This wouldn't solve the issue, anyway, of the screens getting scratched half-way up. The runners are still plastic at that point, even if there are a few versions of the dock.

The dock sucks. Period.

Sanic

I've taken my unit in and out of the dock multiple times every day since launch. No issues at all. Clearly the proof is in this thread, but I can't at all understand it.

Hylian7

I put a screen protector on my Switch and I feel a lot better about putting it in the dock now. I realize it's the cheap $10 Hori, but it does the job.

Poppyseed

Welp, guess I'm getting a USB-C cord for it then. That sucks because sliding it into the dock is a cool concept, but I'm not going to risk scratching it for that. Hopefully we get an updated design eventually that fixes this.

Yup, just ordered mine. I'll run my Kill-A-Watt with it later (Prime Same-day Delivery, woot!), to see the power draw to see if it matches the dock direct connection.

Poppyseed

I've taken my unit in and out of the dock multiple times every day since launch. No issues at all. Clearly the proof is in this thread, but I can't at all understand it.

If you get direct light on the Switch, you'd be surprised to see hairline scratches etc.

I put a screen protector on my Switch and I feel a lot better about putting it in the dock now. I realize it's the cheap $10 Hori, but it does the job.

I'm not convinced a screen protector will prevent against scratches, fyi. Even glass ones may scratch with the kind of pressure exerted by the dock. Even MORE so since you're now making the Switch thicker. Of course, scratches on a screen protector are better than on the Switch screen itself, but still... there's no practical difference if the "screen" is scratched.

Bleh...

I saw a guy on reddit suggesting covering the plastic runners on the dock with electrical tape. I did that to the front side of the dock prior to ever docking mine.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not but thus far I don't seem to have any scratches. I've only docked / undocked it 3-4 times though. My glass screen protector is on its way, so I only needed something for a few days.

I might buy that extension cable for a more long term solution if it checks out as being a good long term solution.

I am about to just take this thing apart. I have been playing primarily as a handheld but it'd be nice to play on my tv with peace of mind.

Sanic

If you get direct light on the Switch, you'd be surprised to see hairline scratches etc.

I've checked (with a flashlight even) and I don't have anything yet, though I believe it's only a matter of time given the nature of the dock.

I'm speaking to some of the more egregious examples I've seen here. Are some of you just dropping it in? I slide mine down centered and very slowly all the way through.

gogojira

I have a USB-C female to male but it pops back out eventually due to nothing putting resistance where the Switch would normally go. What's the resolution for that?

Xdrive05

I'm assuming a screen protector should be enough to alleviate this issue right? Or is screen protector + modifying/padding the dock essential?

I did a plastic screen protector (came with official case) plus electrical tape on the dock rails, and no problems yet. I ordered a glass protector for quality reasons however.

My dock is misshapen too, looking tighter than spec.

Hylian7

I'm not convinced a screen protector will prevent against scratches, fyi. Even glass ones may scratch with the kind of pressure exerted by the dock. Even MORE so since you're now making the Switch thicker. Of course, scratches on a screen protector are better than on the Switch screen itself, but still... there's no practical difference if the "screen" is scratched.

Bleh...

There's very much a difference between a $10 screen protector getting scratched that you can peel off and buy another vs the actual screen of a $300 console.

Top Bottom