• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snatcher was released 25 years ago

Square2015

Unfortunately Snatcher CD only sold 5,095 according to NPD [with a Jan '95 release], unless large amounts were sold at Wal-mart...
A true travesty considering how great it is.

RE1/2/3 were translated by the same person (Takuya Shiraiwa). RE1's voice director was actually a native English woman, who wasn't exactly a spectacular actor herself (voice of Rebecca). She changed a lot of stuff that made the whole thing even goofier than the original translation. What generally happened with the games was that after the first pass of the translations, revisions were made to the original and sections that changed were translated spot by spot by people who really didn't understand the entire story or context of what they were asked to translate. On top of that many lines were kept very literal or diluted-- almost machine like. Which is why you get goofy stuff like "federal council" instead of "Congress."

The localization picked up in the series when they hired Shinsaku Ohara. He's the reason the translations for REmake and RE4 are pretty good, give or take a few mishaps probably caused by the above tinkering. The series has never had a "perfect" translation, though. It's still wayyyyy behind others in the industry. Whether it be plot mistakes or goofy dialogue.

Oh, that's interesting to note. It sounds like the translation was a lot of patchwork. Even the best english translations in the RE games were merely average, in my opinion.

Wow.

If it really is you, great job on the games you've worked on, particularly Snatcher and MGS.

I remeber seeing his name in the credits on the first Phoenix Wright game too, I'm not sure what his involvement on that one was, but it had a really solid english translation too.

Culex

Banned
I'll have to take out my Sega CD copies of Snatcher and Rise of the Dragon.

I think it's been 10 years since I hooked up my Sega CD, I doubt it works :-(

cj_iwakura

I'll have to take out my Sega CD copies of Snatcher and Rise of the Dragon.

I think it's been 10 years since I hooked up my Sega CD, I doubt it works :-(

I'm sure it does. The battery, that might be another story.

I'm playing Policenauts off and on. Not as good as Snatcher, but still a must-play if you enjoyed Snatcher. Sequel in all but name.

Great voice work, too.

One of the best games of all time. It was shocking back then to see that gritty sci-fi violence. Sad that Policenauts was never properly translated and released.

Well, Policenauts would've needed a release period.

I still remember this flyer that was included inside my Sega Saturn box which showed a a bunch of "upcoming" Saturn titles. Policenauts was one of the games listed complete with a mock up image of the US box.

It disappointed me to no end that it never was released.

cj_iwakura

I've got through three acts in around 2 hours. That HG101 article wasn't kidding about the second half of the game moving at a brisk pace.

cj_iwakura

Fantastic ending. Lethal Weapon homage through and through. Kojima sure did his homework, I loved how plausible everything felt, including the technology and what humanity had to deal with by going to the moon.

Top Bottom