• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Alright guys, I have got all the English games I want right now and all the hacks for those games I want. What I want to know now is what JPN only SNES games should I get? I want the best of the best and they gotta have a translation. Any recommendations?

I used the web installer and didn't see the OP until now. I've only loaded some games and box arts onto the program so far, nothing with my SNES. Should I redownload/re-install? What's the issue with it?

OmegaDL50

You’re awesome.

Can’t wait. :)

Dragon Quest VI one is ready

WEUhyhm.png

I have no idea how to even successfully get the PSX core on there.

Drag & Drop. Same as adding the standard RetroArch mod.

You'll need a BIOS for PSX. I'll have time to do this soon so I'll let you know how it goes.

How to install this

If you are using hakchi2:

Make sure that you are using hakchi2 version 2.14 or newer.
Go to "releases" tab and download the latest extra_cores.zip and additional_mods.zip.
Drag-and-drop it on hakchi2 window.
Press "OK" button and follow instructions.

OmegaDL50

That's awesome. Thank you so much!

How long does that take to do? I want to make something exactly like that, just with the original SNES box art pictures fitted into it.

About 15 to 20 minutes.

You need several things. a SNES box template. Company and Game logos with proper transparency and a decent source artwork or wallpaper to work with.

Basically everything is a series of layers. I do this all in GIMP which is a free alternative to Photoshop.

Basically I do Source art as the bottom layer, SNES black border as the layer on top of that, then the corporate and game logos. Properly resize and fit it all within the border. Merge everything down and cut off the unnecessary parts that go outside the SNES Box border and then save it as a .png

It should be worth mentioning the larger / higher quality the source art you have to work with the better the final box art will be.

Right now I'm trying to make a DQV box art but everything I found that looks half way decent has Deborah in which she didn't exist in the original game. So unless I cut her out of the picture which would make things terribly uncentered. So trying to find a decent DQV piece would be nice for the sake of cover usage.

CLEEK

So is the final version out or is it still in beta?

It's the "final" version, but there have been a bunch of subsequent releases to fix issues identified by users.

As long as you're using 2.0.20.14 or higher, you're good. v14 fixed a process that was smashing the CPU, causing the SNESC to draw more power and overheat.

Seik

Banned
I just installed 10 games so that the little covers at the bottom don't go off-screen.

I saw some people flipping them on the side to save space. How do you do that?

naitosan

Seems latest release bonked NES games on NES classic. All I get is black screen when I load any games.

Don't know what's the problem. SNES classic works just fine.

Dimentios

Trivial question: Can I change the program which opens when you click on "Tools" and "Open FTP Client"? By clicking on it my browser connects to the FTP server, but I want to open my FTP program with it.

It's the "final" version, but there have been a bunch of subsequent releases to fix issues identified by users.

As long as you're using 2.0.20.14 or higher, you're good. v14 fixed a process that was smashing the CPU, causing the SNESC to draw more power and overheat.

I think I'm good, but how do we update the program when newer versions are released?

LordRaptor

I just installed 10 games so that the little covers at the bottom don't go off-screen.

I saw some people flipping them on the side to save space. How do you do that?

AFAICS, you FTP into it, download all of the folders that contain all the roms and images, edit them, then FTP them back over the old versions

KillySG10

Neo Member
Quick question, will the cfw/hack/whatever be able to update the emulator to make games that currently don't work, work.

That may sound like a stupid question, but i have no idea how NES or SNES Classic hacking works. Also i'm an idiot.

Basically i'm tempted to buy a SNES classic if it gets restocked, but only if i can play the Quintet trilogy on it at least, that's Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma for anyone unaware.

About 15 to 20 minutes.

You need several things. a SNES box template. Company and Game logos with proper transparency and a decent source artwork or wallpaper to work with.

Basically everything is a series of layers. I do this all in GIMP which is a free alternative to Photoshop.

Basically I do Source art as the bottom layer, SNES black border as the layer on top of that, then the corporate and game logos. Properly resize and fit it all within the border. Merge everything down and cut off the unnecessary parts that go outside the SNES Box border and then save it as a .png

It should be worth mentioning the larger / higher quality the source art you have to work with the better the final box art will be.

Right now I'm trying to make a DQV box art but everything I found that looks half way decent has Deborah in which she didn't exist in the original game. So unless I cut her out of the picture which would make things terribly uncentered. So trying to find a decent DQV piece would be nice for the sake of cover usage.

Wow, seems like a lot of work.

Is it possible to cut down the original SNES JP artwork and put it onto the SNES box template, sort of like this?

snes_dragonquest5_retail.jpg

Obviously not sideways and 3dish. :)

Original was like this.

thumb-3559-2.jpg

Going to look into GiMP though. Thanks for letting me know what to use. I know that program is free too.

LordRaptor

Going to look into GiMP though. Thanks for letting me know what to use. I know that program is free too.

IF you're on windows, I'd recommend Paint.net instead of GIMP, because for the purposes of just photochopping it has everything you need, and it is a hell of a lot more intuitive / user frinedly than GIMP is.

Wow, seems like a lot of work.

Is it possible to cut down the original SNES JP artwork and put it onto the SNES box template, sort of like this?

snes_dragonquest5_retail.jpg

Obviously not sideways and 3dish. :)

Original was like this.

thumb-3559-2.jpg

I have tried to make a SNES alike Super Famicom standard box. Still not sure aboutthe spine though...

yNLcdiC.png

I'll just use the skew tool in photoshop with the 2d art once i have a spine im happy with

oh i can share my 2d template if anyone wants it

keep

I've spent the whole weekend with this but I now have a fully hacked SNES Mini with all the games I wanted working perfectly :) Time to donate some money to Cluster!

A FEW TIPS FOR TOTAL NEWBIES LIKE ME (aka things I wish I'd known three days ago):

- If a ROM gives you sound issues, it's likely to be a PAL ROM. Find a clearly labelled US / NTSC ROM. PAL ROMs don't work on the SNES Mini. If the game you want is not available in English NTSC, you can patch it using a programme like SNES Tool. Google this, it's super simple (I was able to do it myself with no technical knowledge whatsoever).

- If a ROM gives you strange errors like C7 / C8 when loading/exiting and the game is working for other people, it's probably a dodgy or very old ROM (I had some ROMs from 1994 and all of them were giving me errors). Just find a more up to date one.

- If like me you wanted to pump this baby with as many games as possible, remember to leave some free space for savestates and Rewind feature, otherwise you will run out of memory and you'll get the C8 error! For reference, I've installed around 110 games and have around 40MB of free space left. I know I won't be able to make too many savestates, but everything seems to be working peachy.

- As far as I know, ALL games that don't work on the original SNES Mini emulator can be made to work on Retroarch. Retroarch is not a different programme you have to open or tinker with. You basically install it and then add a command line in hakchi to make the ROM automatically start using Retroarch instead of the original SNES Mini emulator. The games display normally onscreen like all the others and you only notice it's running on a different hardware if you press Select+Start during the game (brings up Retroarch menu) or when you exit the game, as it will take 3-4 seconds longer to exit.

That last point was kind of important for me as I was a bit put off by this whole talk of Retroarch as I imagined the games would be sitting in a "different" place, but they're not. All my games are accessible from the SNES Mini menu, which is delightful. I don't personally care that the ROMs are running with one or another emulator.

bumpkin

Is anyone else using a Mac and trying to mod your Classic? I know I have to dig out a Windows PC to run the kernel flashing application, but I'm trying to at least do the ROM conversions from my Mac and I keep getting this error when I run the command:

Can't get ROM format. Corrupted?

I thought maybe the ROM was borked, but I'm getting the message for any/all of them.

EDIT: I found a fix. For any of my Mac bros, I needed to upgrade python to the latest, 3.6.3 and then the script worked correctly.

The Giant

Banned

Cool, thanks.

I uploaded a custom Dragon Quest V Box art in my album

https://imgur.com/a/HJaML

If you folks want more traditional style box arts that are based on the original Super Famicom box art, give me until tomorrow and I'll have something figured out.

In the meantime, Joqu has a rather nice DQV box art that fits the spirit of the original one

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251301233&postcount=340

Thanks again.

Now I can put both of these on my Classic. You’re awesome.

let me just say that you are all fantastic

any suggestions for some sort of overlooked obscure platformer to play tonight? Gonna snow and I want to chill by the tv with some hot cocoa and a random game.

Feda The Emblem of Justice and Dual Orb II both seem to work without any issues. Japanese versions with English Patch.

The font issues for Seiken Densetsu 3 weren't to bad at first since I thought it was just when your naming the characters but when its pretty much every menu its really bad XD

Also just want to mention for any fans of Fire Emblem out there, there are quite a few Strategy RPG's on the SNES all of which are pretty great.

Square put out Bahamut Lagoon one of the more original takes on the series as well as Front Mission which is still absolutely great. Then you have Feda The Emblem of Justice that I mentioned above which is also great and the art style/setup is very similar to Shining Force, when you go to attack you see large characters doing an attack and you see the enemy recoil with damage and what not. It's also got a really unique way the story plays out, certainly one of the better games out there that just goes unplayed most of the time by western audiences.

The SNES libeary is a literal treasure trove of RPG's that we never got in the west that are just flat out amazing. I already mentioned Seiken Densetu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) but theres Final Fantasy 5, Dual Orb 2, Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon, ect. So many great games I really encourage people to really look deep into the systems library its so damn impressive.

All of the games I mentioned as well are games with complete or near complete English translations as well!

LOUD915

I had this issue with VirtualBox as well and I had to go into the VM settings in VirtualBox and add the SNES under Ports>USB>USB Device Filters for it to work. Just click the little USB icon with the green plus to the right of the big white box and add the SNES when it's plugged in and turned on. Then reboot the VM and try again in Hakchi. That's what did it for me.

For no particular reason, mine started working.

I did exactly the same thing. I left it plugged in the usb slot for a while and it randomly let me sync it.

Oh well. I’ll take it.

Good job.

Is any progress being made (by anyone in the modding scene) to get Rudrass or Seiken Densetsu 3 working?

Frankly they are 100% playable, the text is perfectly readable, at least on SD3.

I uploaded a custom Dragon Quest V Box art in my album

https://imgur.com/a/HJaML

If you folks want more traditional style box arts that are based on the original Super Famicom box art, give me until tomorrow and I'll have something figured out.

In the meantime, Joqu has a rather nice DQV box art that fits the spirit of the original one

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251301233&postcount=340

The BOF ones are ridiculously sexy. I wasn't thinking on using custom box art but those are, well, works of art.

If you want inspiration, here are the Japanese games I have on my system:

Assault Suits Valken
Bahamut Lagoon
Final Fantasy V
Front Mission - Gun Hazard
Front Mission
Ganbare Goemon 2
Ganbare Goemon 3
Ganbare Goemon 4
Gundam W - Endless Duel
Magical Quest 3 - Mickey and Donald
Monstania
Parodius - Shinwa Kara Owarai e
Parodius 2 - Gokukyou Parodius
Parodius 3 - Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
Pop'n TwinBee
Ranma Nibunnoichi - Akanekodan Teki Hihou
Ranma Nibunnoichi - Chogi Ranbu Hen
Romancing SaGa 3
Rudra no Hihou
Seiken Densetsu 3
Super Aleste
Super Bomberman 3
Super Bomberman 4
Super Bomberman 5
Tenchi Muyou! Game Hen
Treasure Hunter G
TwinBee - Rainbow Bell Adventure

I think the Goemon games would look especially nice, as they have very colorful covers.

Josh5890

I've spent the whole weekend with this but I now have a fully hacked SNES Mini with all the games I wanted working perfectly :) Time to donate some money to Cluster!

A FEW TIPS FOR TOTAL NEWBIES LIKE ME (aka things I wish I'd known three days ago):

- If a ROM gives you sound issues, it's likely to be a PAL ROM. Find a clearly labelled US / NTSC ROM. PAL ROMs don't work on the SNES Mini. If the game you want is not available in English NTSC, you can patch it using a programme like SNES Tool. Google this, it's super simple (I was able to do it myself with no technical knowledge whatsoever).

- If a ROM gives you strange errors like C7 / C8 when loading/exiting and the game is working for other people, it's probably a dodgy or very old ROM (I had some ROMs from 1994 and all of them were giving me errors). Just find a more up to date one.

- If like me you wanted to pump this baby with as many games as possible, remember to leave some free space for savestates and Rewind feature, otherwise you will run out of memory and you'll get the C8 error! For reference, I've installed around 110 games and have around 40MB of free space left. I know I won't be able to make too many savestates, but everything seems to be working peachy.

- As far as I know, ALL games that don't work on the original SNES Mini emulator can be made to work on Retroarch. Retroarch is not a different programme you have to open or tinker with. You basically install it and then add a command line in hakchi to make the ROM automatically start using Retroarch instead of the original SNES Mini emulator. The games display normally onscreen like all the others and you only notice it's running on a different hardware if you press Select+Start during the game (brings up Retroarch menu) or when you exit the game, as it will take 3-4 seconds longer to exit.

That last point was kind of important for me as I was a bit put off by this whole talk of Retroarch as I imagined the games would be sitting in a "different" place, but they're not. All my games are accessible from the SNES Mini menu, which is delightful. I don't personally care that the ROMs are running with one or another emulator.

Thank you! I am a total noob and scared that I will break my precious SNES Classic.

Fjordson

Feda The Emblem of Justice and Dual Orb II both seem to work without any issues. Japanese versions with English Patch.

The font issues for Seiken Densetsu 3 weren't to bad at first since I thought it was just when your naming the characters but when its pretty much every menu its really bad XD

Also just want to mention for any fans of Fire Emblem out there, there are quite a few Strategy RPG's on the SNES all of which are pretty great.

Square put out Bahamut Lagoon one of the more original takes on the series as well as Front Mission which is still absolutely great. Then you have Feda The Emblem of Justice that I mentioned above which is also great and the art style/setup is very similar to Shining Force, when you go to attack you see large characters doing an attack and you see the enemy recoil with damage and what not. It's also got a really unique way the story plays out, certainly one of the better games out there that just goes unplayed most of the time by western audiences.

The SNES libeary is a literal treasure trove of RPG's that we never got in the west that are just flat out amazing. I already mentioned Seiken Densetu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) but theres Final Fantasy 5, Dual Orb 2, Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon, ect. So many great games I really encourage people to really look deep into the systems library its so damn impressive.

All of the games I mentioned as well are games with complete or near complete English translations as well!
Man I can't wait to get to some of those. As a massive JRPG fan, it seems like there are a ton of gems that I missed out on growing up in the west.

Going to finish FF VI and Secret of Mana first and then dive into everything else.

keep

My humble additions on top of what you've already mentioned (all of them can be found in English):

- Chaos Seed (brilliant game)
- Der Langrisser
- Mystic Ark
- Treasure Hunter G
- The three Fire Emblems
- Live A Live
- Romancing SaGa 3
- Record of the Lodoss War
- Shin Megami Tensei I & II
- Super Robot Wars 3
- Dragon Quest III & V & VI
- Tactics Ögre: Let Us Cling Together
- Ys IV & V (technically A-RPGs)

There's also several Wizardry games patched onto English but they're just too hardcore for me...

bronk

Banned
wow that was crazy easy to do. I added 62 games to my Snes classic. The thumbnails are just running off screen. Can I delete them without any problems?

Top Bottom