• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES/Super Famicon - A visual compendium - kickstarter going up 4/8

Glix

EDIT - Kickstarter is now live. The mockups look insanely good! Can't wait!!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/the-unofficial-snes-super-famicom-a-visual-compend

Got an email today and just wanted to let everyone know that a kickstarter for Bitmap Books SNES book will be going up 4/8.

This is a sequel to their NES book which is the only thing I have ever kickstarted in my life. It is amazing and gorgeous and I love it so much.

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/

snes_compendium1.jpg

1491819540_snes_compendium_-_f-zero.jpg

C-Q92odXgAA3Wn6.jpg

Glix

Is this the NES book? Looks great and has a good price too!

Amazon DE

Yes that is the book.

Yeah that price is unreal. We hit almost all the stretch goals so a ton of stuff got added. Gatefold pages, extra pages, slipcase, lenticular cover. Its all amazing.

Maybe you should put a link up if you want people to support it / check it out.

Sounds pretty cool.

I would but the kickstarter isn't up for four more days, hence why I included pics of their last book. I have added a link to their website to the OP as per your advice, thank you.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Correction - the original update said Monday, April 8th. It should be Monday, April 10th.

Chairhome

I skipped on NES one, but I HAVE to get this. Hopefully there's a tier that includes the NES one.
I am also thinking of getting the C64 one. Lots of memories there

CackleAndHide

Neo Member
I've backed all of these and they're all really nice. NES one has been the best. The lenticular cover is great. Will be backing!

Backed the NES book which is great. Still reading it. Also got he NES poster as well which was a little disappointing TBH. Not the graphic, but the paper quality. Came slightly creased too.

The email I got was Monday 8th April, which is obviously wrong.

I'll eventually buy the C64, Amiga and Spectrum ones too. Lovely collection that'll be, next to the Famicom box art collection book I also have.

Robin64

Loved the NES book, so will 100% put some money down for this one too.

The CD was really interesting, too, each track felt like a "lost" track from a certain game. Track 4 is Battletoads, track 5 is Kirby, etc. Hope they can do a SNES one.

neoemonk

Never seen these before but I'm getting the NES book and the Super Famicom box art one as well, and kickstarting this new one.

Good job OP!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
7 a.m. BST = 2 a.m. Eastern = 11 p.m. Pacific

Can't wait to back this since I helped back the NES one & own the Commodore 64 & Amiga books (need to get the Sinclair one eventually).

Loved the NES book, so will 100% put some money down for this one too.

The CD was really interesting, too, each track felt like a "lost" track from a certain game. Track 4 is Battletoads, track 5 is Kirby, etc. Hope they can do a SNES one.
Haha, as soon as I got to tracks 4 & 5, my mind instantly went to those titles. Hoping there'll be some decent goodies/stretch goals again.

Krooner

Never seen these before but I'm getting the NES book and the Super Famicom box art one as well, and kickstarting this new one.

Good job OP!

The Super Famicom boxart book is fab, I'd love them to do a Japanese Mega Drive one too... Maybe after this kickstarter.

playXray

Already funded?

Yeah it's insane. I got my pledge in within 10 seconds of going live. By the time I refreshed the page, 60 people had done the same. Apparently it took 7 minutes to sell out of the early bird hardback pledge. So pleased for Sam and the team.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The Super Famicom boxart book is fab, I'd love them to do a Japanese Mega Drive one too... Maybe after this kickstarter.
I'd gladly fund a Genesis/Mega Drive book, hopefully it'll be the next one after this.

& wow, already hit the first stretch goal, page count is now 316.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
2 more gatefold pages added, 318 pages.

I wouldn't be surprised if we reached every stretch goal since the NES book managed to do just that.

Vertti

Really happy to see going so well for them. Hopefully they reach all their stretch goals because the more snes/sfc goodness the better.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
3rd stretch goal already reached, page count is now 324.

The NES book clocked in at over 530 pages after all the stretch goals, would be great if the SNES one had a similar amount.

Edit: My bad, didn't notice there wasn't a 45k goal.

Edit 2: NOW they reached the 4th stretch goal & 340 pages total.

Robin64

Sad I missed the early backer prices, but no big deal. Well worth the full price, these books are superb.

mclem

Ironically the NES book arrived for me on Switch Delivery Day, so I was already home and waiting for a delivery. Tided me over nicely until the actual Switch appeared!

Edit: Pledging... am I right in saying that it's actually cheaper to overpledge for the hardback + poster than it is to go in on a poster level, with no difference in rewards? I mean, I'll happily go for the formal tier anyway, because ultimately I'm pledging for them, but that's a bit of an oversight if I'm right!

Can't wait to back this since I helped back the NES one & own the Commodore 64 & Amiga books (need to get the Sinclair one eventually).

Yeah, I managed to miss the Speccy one too (Well, I missed the C64, but got it with the Amiga pledge). Amusing, given I was a Speccy guy myself.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
£60k reached, so 2 more gatefold pages & 16 extra pages = 358 pages.

I'll try to post less updates as to not clog the thread with them.

Glix

Backed for a hardcover! Missed the early bird but I'll live. SO SO SO pleased with the NES book, was just thumbing through it last night. Can't wait for this!

£60k reached, so 2 more gatefold pages & 16 extra pages = 358 pages.

I'll try to post less updates as to not clog the thread with them.

I am very hopeful we just hit them all again ;-)

Am I crazy, or is it cheaper to get the hardback book and a poster add-on rather than getting the hardback book + poster tier? I pledged at 4AM (fell asleep, missed the 2AM EST launch time) and was very groggy, but ended up doing the hardback book + 3 posters as add-ons.

And I have all of the books in this series, have been an early bird on every KS save this one, and they're phenomenal. If you're on the fence, please don't be. Some of the best books of this type on the market, and the guy behind it all is fantastic and responsive.

E-phonk

Banned
I'm in, loved the NES book - and I have even more fond memories of the SNES era so this was a no brainer.

(just like i hope nintendo makes a SNES remix series for switch - although I think indieszero who did the nes-remix project might be working on the monthly multiplayer SNES games that come with an nintendo online subscription)

Also if you want the posters, don't get a bundle. Get the base softcover / hardcover then add them as an "over-pledge." They're 5 pounds cheaper that way... for whatever reason. I've messaged Sam, hopefully he can address.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
HOLY CRAP, I wake up to find they're already past £100k, meaning 486 pages.

14/22 goals reached, we should easily get those remaining goals by the end of the week.

You can get the NES book with free shipping for $30 at bookdepository.com
I can vouch for this, I've gone here to get their C64 & Amiga books, they're the cheapest I can find online & shipping is free, no tracking but usually comes in a week.

Edit: Update:

Hello backers!

Welcome to this Kickstarter campaign for SNES/Super Famicom: a visual compendium. Today has well and truly exceeded my expectations and as I type this, we are at £105,202. Crazy. Thank you everyone.

Stretch goal update

So, as we stand, an extra 176 pages have been added to the book and 10 gatefold pages.

An error

I've made a slight error in the costing of the SNES Blueprint Poster (Hardback), Super Famicom Blueprint Poster (Hardback) and Islands of SNES (Hardback) tiers. The hardback book is £5 cheaper in this campaign compared to the NES campaign and I forgot to reflect this in the pledge amounts. It is therefore £5 cheaper to 'add on' the posters to the 'Hardback' tier. If you would like to swap, simply back the 'Hardback' tier and over pledge by £15 for each poster. Later in the year I will send out a backer survey where you can specify exactly what posters you've added on.

Tracked shipping

Canada and South America services are not tracked. They are sent via standard Royal Mail. 9/10 times there are no issues but I appreciate that some people prefer tracking. As a few of you have asked, later in the year, I will offer the chance to Canadian and South American backers to upgrade to DHL tracked. Please understand that shipping a 2KG book across the Atlantic isn't cheap and currently the shipping is subsidised by Bitmap Books so that we can offer reasonable postage. I would never want too be in a situation where I was charging £20 to ship a book as that isn't fair. For some reason, certain countries are just much more expensive.

Adding the NES book to your pledge

I've just added two new perks. The first is to get the SNES hardback and NES hardback and the second is to get the SNES softcover and NES softcover. The benefit is that you'll save a little shipping but the downside is that you'll have to wait until November to receive the NES book with your SNES one.

What next?

Lets just keep on pushing and see if we can max out the stretch goals. If we do that, you'll be getting a 500+ page book with gatefolds and the lenticular slipcase. Basically it will match the NES book. I have a few opportunities coming up to PR the campaign so I will keep on pushing and trying to answer as many backer questions as I can.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This looks great, I didn't get the NES one (wasn't that aware of it at the time), but seeing the quality of the book and how much is already being added I have no qualms about getting the SNES one. May even spring for hardcover.

Not sure how "your name in the book" is going to work with almost 3000 backers so far, and 26 days of backing to go though. Is that what all the extra pages and gatefold pages are for?

Robin64

Not sure how "your name in the book" is going to work with almost 3000 backers so far, and 26 days of backing to go though. Is that what all the extra pages and gatefold pages are for?

The NES one was just very small font over 8 pages.

7lba2xL.png

E-phonk

Banned
This looks great, I didn't get the NES one (wasn't that aware of it at the time), but seeing the quality of the book and how much is already being added I have no qualms about getting the SNES one. May even spring for hardcover.

It's a long list, multi columns at the end of the book. A few pages and I don't know if they are counted in the pagelist, have to check the NES book to be sure.

Edit: Robin64 was ahead of me

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They'll send out a survey asking for your address & your name to put in the book. In the NES one, the credits are 8 pages long.

& no, I'm pretty sure the extra pages won't go towards the credits. 16 pages basically means they can cover more games, extra interviews, or history of companies that developed for the system.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
£125k reached, meaning the page count is now at 520 & each book will come in a heavy board slipcase.

Only 3 more stretch goals before they have to come up with adding more.

Top Bottom