• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES/Super Famicon - A visual compendium - kickstarter going up 4/8

Pledged for the SNES hardback, and the NES one too, because I didn't get to buy it before.

Didn't notice this was available!
Changed it too.

Thanks!

The NES hardcover, and I'm going to assume the SNES one too, seriously weighs a solid 5lbs if not more. It's dense, but it's really great. Best part is it's a very un-assuming thing to have on a shelf due to the gray coloring of the cover box.

canocha

The NES hardcore, and I'm going to assume the SNES one too, seriously weighs a solid 5lbs if not more. It's dense, but it's really great. Best part is it's a very un-assuming thing to have on a shelf due to the gray coloring of the cover box.

Yes, getting both!

I had the NES one ordered at Amazon, but it's out of stock.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
3 hours to go and the final stretch goal has been *easily* reached... it should be over £220k by the end.
Well damn, that's neat. Granted, I'll be saving the PDF for after I read the book & want to see more images/videos about games I wasn't aware of.

illusionary

And that's it, closing out just a whisker short of £225k, at £224,773. I look forward to reading Sam's post-campaign update.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Glad I backed this last night or else I would've missed it because I was out most of the day because my brother needed a little electrical work done at his house.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The plan:

Hello!

Right, now that we're funded, the real work starts!

I thought it would be a good idea to outline a rough timeline for the coming months so everyone knows what's happening, at what times. Those who have backed my campaigns before will know that I always do regular updates. During development, I will do a full backer update once a month at the minimum. This will be to share progress so everyone feels part of the process.

May – During May I will be finalising the contributors for the book and nailing down the master games list. I will also be working with Craig Stevenson to finalise his pixel art for the book.

June/July – This is where the bulk of the design will happen. I will work my way through the various games and decide which are the best images to use. During these months, Steve will also be sub-editing the copy and photography will happen. Backer surveys will be sent out also.

August – The book will be proofread and any final changes will be made. Files will be prepared for print. Book then goes to print. Work on the interactive PDF starts.

September – Flat sheet proofs of the book arrive for me to see and approve. Will then share with backers. I'm back and forth with the printer making last second tweaks and checking/approving.

October – I will receive 10 advance copies of the book. These are actual finished books that I sign off before the bulk are sent to me.

November – PDF and interactive PDF are delivered to backers. Books arrive and are sent out to backers.

I don't anticipate any changes to this timeline. Things always crop up but we will be talking a few weeks here and there, nothing major.

Chitown B

I'm not sure that's a pricing error. The Kickstarter version is about $38 US, but it includes:

INCLUDES:
Hardback book
Scan line bookmark
PDF
Your name in book
Access to backer updates

which, isn't a ton more stuff but it's worth backing the project and helping the creator.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's assuming you backed the hardcover edition. I only had the money to get the softcover.

But the kickstarter version also gets those 5 glossy photo art prints as well, another bonus for backing the book.

I also quickly pre-ordered the Neo Geo book since that's one I've been wanting to get & want to ensure the $22 is secure.

Edit: June update, brings up the fact the book is on Amazon:

Hello everyone

As promised, I'm here to give you an update on where things are at.

Final funding

So, after dropped pledges (£3,363.00), the total raised was £221,450.00. So the good news that we easily got the Interactive PDF which was a 215K stretch.

Amazon

Someone somehow has listed the book on Amazon for cheaper than here. I want to be very clear that this has NOTHING to do with me. Why would I offer the book for cheap whilst I'm in the middle of designing it before it's even released? Once a book is assigned an ISBN (mandatory to publish) it goes onto a database and anyone can pull through the data and make a listing. I'm looking into it and will get it removed ASAP. Sorry for any worry caused.

Design

Design of the book has been steady and I've layed out around 25% of the book. As per my schedule, June is where the bulk of the design will happen so I can crack on with this. I will share some new spreads in the July update.

Contributors

May has been all about nailing down contributors, gathering text and arranging interviews. I reckon 75% of all the text is now with Steve for editing which is great progress. We had some good news last week when Julian Eggebrecht agreed to an interview. As the founder of Factor 5, Julian worked across all their SNES game such as Super Turrican and Indiana Jones. I'm really pleased to have Julian in the book as Factor 5 had a great relationship with Nintendo and he will have some great stories to tell!

I'm also very pleased to say that after 2 years of asking, Nintendo Power co-founder Gail Tilden has agreed to talk about the magazine. Again, I'm really excited about this as it's not often Gail does an interview for something like this.

Below is a current list of contributors. A huge amount of work goes into getting these guys involved so a big thanks to them and I hope you like how it's shaping up. A huge thanks to John Szczepaniak for the majority of the Japanese developers.

Andy Dyer
Andy Roberts
Bill Swartz
Brian Fehdrau
Chris West
Colin Anderson
Damien McFerran
Dave McMacken
David Giltinan
David Warhol
Eugene Jarvis
Frank Matzke
Gary Bracey
Greg Ford
Greg Sewart
Gregg Barnett
Hidenori Shibao
Hifumi Kono
Jason Brookes
Jeff Peters
Jeremy Airey
Jez San
Jon Burton
John Gillin
John Tobias
Julian Eggebrecht
Julian Rignall
Jun Nagashima
Keiji Inafune
Kev Bayliss
Kouji Yokota
Kouji Yokota
Mario Zavala
Masatoshi Mitori
Masayuki Suzuki
Michael Brook
Mick McGinty
Michael Koelsch
Michael Stragey
Ned Langman
Nick Bruty
Nick Jones
Noah Dudley
Perry Rodgers
Phil Theobald
Ritchie Brannan
Robert L. Jerauld
Ron Miller
Ryouji Amano
Ryuichi Nishizawa
Sam Kennedy
Samuel Claiborn
Samwise Didier
Satoshi Nakai
Simon Aubrey Drake
Simon Butler
Ste Pickford
Stephen Robertson
Steve Jarratt
Steve Mayles
Taichi Ishizuka
Takashi Tokita
Ted Woolsey
Thomas Brockhage
Thomas Du Bois
Trickman Terry
Gail Tilden
Wes Nihei
Yasuo Nakajima
Yoshio Sakamoto
Yoshiro Kimura

What next?

As mentioned earlier, I will really get on with the spread design now ready for the July update.

Backers who pledged for the 'own your own spread' and the 'be a character in the book' have been briefed. I'm waiting for review copy to come back for the spreads and Craig is ploughing on with the pixel portraits.

Backer surveys will go out in July too.

That's about it. Back to it!

Ultimadrago

I wonder what will happen with the Amazon orders. The SNES Compendium is #1 in Gaming Books at the moment, so no doubt a number of people have dipped a toe on the error.

I wonder what will happen with the Amazon orders. The SNES Compendium is #1 in Gaming Books at the moment, so no doubt a number of people have dipped a toe on the error.

From the new update:

Amazon.com update
So the saga continues. Turns out after multiple calls to the US and emails, that Amazon can legally list whatever they like at whatever price they like. I've had several emails from distressed backers that Amazon are selling the book at a lesser price so soon after the Kickstarter. I'll say this again, just so it's 100% clear:
Amazon.com / Amazon.de / Amazon.jp will NOT be getting stock on this book. I personally control exactly where my stock goes and for books to go into Amazon you have to be a registered seller (which I'm not) or have an agent who is. So, these sites cannot fulfil the order they're taking so just ignore the listings. I very rarely discount my books and I would never be stupid to discount by almost 50% before it's even released! I would never disrespect my backers like that

canocha

Just received the survey to fill.. but doesn't work.

I need to fill all questions, but i didn't pledge for the posters!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Having the same issue, & based on the comments, looks like others are having the problem as well.

Edit: Just got an email. It says to just choose one since it'll know that our pledge total will show if we overpledged or not.

My Amazon (DE) order got canceled, which was expected. I can't order the book on the official site though. Any idea when the book is available for normal purchase?

Top Bottom