• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently PS4 is jailbroken

Windforce

If this means a significant increase in the amount of cheaters, fuck this

I don't think it will.

Whoever jailbreaks their system must stay at a lower firmware (ie. cannot go online without most recent version). Going online may also mean getting a ban from Sony. So online gaming should be ok.

kitch9

Banned
Finally a solution for all of disc based games that constantly get ejected randomly that sony won't fix with out paying them.

I've been waiting for this but didn't expect it to happen so soon.

It's easy to fix that yourself, very easy. Also, no its not a solution to that, not even close.

It'll be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

Sony did a pretty good job with security this time if it's taken 2 years to make even a slight crack in the defenses.

Last time this happened we had the infamous data leaks and psn down for almost 2 months debacle....we did get freebies from it however

That is the mentally, i bought the hardware i should be able to do anything i want with it.
Only if what you do with it effects only you then I have np with that but it effects others or has the potential to then absolutely not. Let's not pretend like jailbroken hardware has been used for only harmless things though....

DieH@rd

Banned
can't sony just patch it?

They already did, but this exploit is for a very old version of the PS4. However, hackers can now probe the OS and try to find unpatched exploits, internal workings, ways to downgrade current retail PS4s, etc.

I don't think it will.

Whoever jailbreaks their system must stay at a lower firmware (ie. cannot go online without most recent version). Going online may also mean getting a ban from Sony. So online gaming should be ok.

PS3 CFW users could easily go online without issues if they behaved [not launch CFW apps while the console was logged into PSN, not played pre-release games, cheat, etc].

chekhonte

It's easy to fix that yourself, very easy. Also, no its not a solution to that, not even close.

There is not a permanent solution for this. Unplugging it for 10 minutes fixes it for 3 to 5 hours.

Tightening the screw fixes it for maybe a couple of days.

This is like defending the towel trick claiming that it fixes the RRoD.

And this isn't a fix yet but it's only a matter of time now.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I personally wouldn't give up PSN functionality for homebrew & emulation at this stage in the generation but it will be interesting to see how capable the PS4 is in that respect.

chekhonte

Trophies matter as much as what you have to do to get them. If people start using exploits to get all the trophies they want, then trophies are worthless.

Do people care other than competing with their friends?

And will trophy cheating matter if you can't take your console online?

Trophies matter as much as what you have to do to get them. If people start using exploits to get all the trophies they want, then trophies are worthless.

Then trophies haven't mattered since the day PS3 saves were unpacked.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but trophies have been exploited for almost 6 years now.

Hasney

Why? Seems odd if you're just doing it for ePenis. I get trophies to 100% games I love playing, not to swing my online cock about.

hesido

If the trophy system breaks, it devalues the whole system, no two ways about it. The pleasure of achieving something will always be shadowed by the possibility that one could have cheated his way to get those, because you couldn't prove that you did not cheat. Probably some won't care, probably some would.

Hasney

If the trophy system breaks, it devalues the whole system, no two ways about it. The pleasure of achieving something will always be shadowed by the possibility that one could have cheated his way to get those, because you couldn't prove that you did not cheat. Probably some won't care, probably some would.

It's already broken and has been for some years. Just like XBox and Steam.

JayBabay

On PS3 they would unfortunately still have ways to play online even with the firmware lowered. I personally knew someone who did this and would avoid playing anything with them.

Oxn

There is not a permanent solution for this. Unplugging it for 10 minutes fixes it for 3 to 5 hours.

Yup i tried all the tricks. They usually last me a couple of weeks before it restarts, and i dont use my ps4 that often.

I usually just do a hard reset, and that may last me a month.

Hasney

On PS4 also?

Btw, online cheating is the big problem here.

Nah, PS3 and Vita are though. I just think that if anyone cares about trophies being devalued, they should assume that it will be hacked at some point since there's a 100% success rate of that so far.

OmegaFax

I'm sure this will blow over soon. The PS3 was broken into pretty early on last generation and nothing came out of it.
I wouldn't say nothing. PS3's brokenness was pretty substantial + PSP being about equally wide open + Sony getting a negative ride out of a few lawsuits + other bits of unrelated controversies and numerous attacks on PSN and Sony online infrastructure.

I assume people are mostly scared of "hackers" or people cheating in games like GTA and CoD with rank hacks, god mode, aimbot and whatnot.

If both publishers and sony stay on top of this it'll require a new update to play online and as such they wont be able to use it
as easily
against others.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52451/update-targeting-cheaters-in-gta-online. 2400+ comments up until today and it doesn't seem Rockstar can do enough, if anything, to fix GTA Online for PS3. I hear it's pretty bad on PS3.

I think people who try to actively modify GTA Online eventually get their PSN accounts/systems banned. Pretty sure Social Club is another counter-measure against these mods. I can imagine people linking their PSN -> Social Club anyways.

if this is true. thats insane. ps4 came out 2013. so thats what like 2 years to jailbreak? wasnt there a rumor of a jailbreak in brazil in 2014 though?

I read that the thing in Brazil verified and it was something beyond account sharing.

Hasney

I read that the thing in Brazil verified and it was something beyond account sharing.

It's basically that they have a single PS4 with a bunch of legit bought games, then they image that hard drive and copy it to another one to dumo into a new PS4z then they flash the NAND and BIOS to match the PS4 with the legit bought games.

They can't go online, but they're basically cloning PS4s.

Windforce

Nah, PS3 and Vita are though. I just think that if anyone cares about trophies being devalued, they should assume that it will be hacked at some point since there's a 100% success rate of that so far.

I don't think Vita trophies are tainted. Maybe for game with cross save with PS3 since people may hack PS3 side. But Vita only games are safe as far as I know... so 50% success rate.

Hasney

I don't think Vita trophies are tainted. Maybe for game with cross save with PS3 since people may hack PS3 side. But Vita only games are safe as far as I know... so 50% success rate.

They're not. The mailhack allowed you to send the trophy database to your PC and then unlock anything you want and send it back.

Eila

Would be neat if it allows the use of the PS2 emulator with injected isos. See how other games run.
Hacking newer consoles is too annoying now, it's just not worth it for me after the Wii and PSP. Those were some killer emulation devices.

Hasney

I like playing consoles so I don't have to worry as much if the other player is cheating. This is not good news to me.

Well every single console was hacked last generation and allowed cheaters. The ratio of bumping into them online will probably be the same as that, so depends how many you found on those consoles.

If they do it offline and can't update them online then I don't care. But if they were able to use the exploit to update their trophy record online then I wouldn't care about trophies anymore.

It's not about epenis as some other person said, it's about what the trophies represent. As long as they are reliable, they represent what I have done, which games I played and which ones I platinumed.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
I won't bother unless DQ11 gets a fan translation and no localization.

Maybe if some PS4 games get the Xenoblade/Fatal Frame treatment I might bother, censorship is the worst and patching stuff back in is nice.

XBP

Not sure why some people are so worried. This thing is far away from being turned into an actual custom firmware. It took years for the PS3 to get some form of a working CFW and even that was too complicated for an average user. The Ps4's chances of getting an easy workable custom firmware are a lot lower.

test_account

XP-39C²

I had the same problem, but i just kept unplugging the power cord for a few minutes and it fixed itself after several times. It was a period where it happened often, now its been months since the last time it happened.

But as the other guy said, hacking the console wont fix this issue. No one seems to know exactly what causes it.

luca_29_bg

Not sure why some people are so worried. This thing is far away from being turned into an actual custom firmware. It took years for the PS3 to get some form of a working CFW and even that was too complicated for an average user. The Ps4's chances of getting an easy workable custom firmware are a lot lower.

nope. It's x86, much much easy this time!

kitch9

Banned

Its caused by static jumping between the case and the power button when sat on some surfaces. Turn the PS4 upside down and with a sharp Stanley blade slide a slither some of the rubber of the power button away at the furthest edge to the back of the button. You shouldn't be able to see where you have cut as it is under the machine.

That will solve it.

The PS4 is not hacked, its not even close to being hacked, on a scale of 1-100 of how hacked the machine is it is about 0.0001, we have a reproducible crash which leaves unencrypted ram in the memory.

Whoopie do.

darkwing

Its caused by static jumping between the case and the power button when sat on some surfaces. Turn the PS4 upside down and with a sharp Stanley blade slide a slither some of the rubber of the power button away at the furthest edge to the back of the button. You shouldn't be able to see where you have cut as it is under the machine.

That will solve it.

The PS4 is not hacked, its not even close to being hacked, on a scale of 1-100 of how hacked the machine is it is about 0.0001, we have a reproducible crash which leaves unencrypted ram in the memory.

Whoopie do.

but it's x86

Top Bottom