• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently PS4 is jailbroken

QaaQer

Piracy isn't to be promoted here or anywhere on Neogaf. (talking about it is fine). Anyone who does so will be reported and probably permanently banned.

Edit: This news is pretty sad tbh. If they figure out how to run it on the latest firmware then I consider GTA:O and many othr good online games to be ruined by kids wanting to cheat.

Edit 2: My original post sounded a bit harsh so I'll clarify that these are the rules you agree to when signing up to NG not me being a dick.

I guess it could be viewed that way. What I'm actually asking for is proof that these things are happening and not 'here are some tweets and a guy playing Tetris on youtube', that's all. I only pirate when it is more convienient, and it hasn't been that way for new games since Steam became big.

macewank

I guess it could be viewed that way. What I'm actually asking for is proof that these things are happening and not 'here are some tweets and a guy playing Tetris on youtube', that's all. I only pirate when it is more convienient, and it hasn't been that way for new games since Steam became big.

"I only steal when it's easier than buying"

Okay then.

Shari

Uhm, NAT is your problem. Wanna borrow a match?

P2P is fine for some things, especially consoles where the data can't be tampered or manipulated.

Live went down the other day. Things happen, PSN has been pretty solid since the last few maintenance down times.

Errrrrr.. 3 of the 4 things you listed here are not "PSN" problems.

NAT issues are a user-side network thing, not a PSN thing. There isn't anything they can do about that. P2P multiplayer is a developer thing, not a PSN thing.

I have these same issues occasionally on PC. And Xbox. Networks are complicated. It is what it is.

I'll give you the downtime thing though. PSN seems to have an awful lot of it.

Do I need to know about NAT problems?

Hell, I've even got my DMZ set to the PS4 to try and avoid all this shit and it's not making it any better. Do I have to know what a NAT problem is in order to enjoy PSN? All the lawyers here can say is "is your problem, not PSN"?

How is not a PSN problem that Naughty Dog uses P2P on his games? How can you defend the same company putting in place a dedicated server system and not even enforcing it for his first party developments?

The advocacy level here towards Sony is unreal.

SigSig

Wait, he broke out of BSD jail?
This is not a webkit exploit/webkit running with unnecessary privileges but a breach of the jail itself?
WTF if true.

kitch9

Banned

Hell, I've even got my DMZ set to the PS4 to try and avoid all this shit and it's not making it any better. Do I have to know what a NAT problem is in order to enjoy PSN? All the lawyers here can say is "is your problem, not PSN"?

How is not a PSN problem that Naughty Dog uses P2P on his games? How can you defend the same company putting in place a dedicated server system and not even enforcing it for his first party developments?

In your case it appears that you do need to know about NAT.

It's not Sonys fault NAT traversal isn't working right on your setup.

Every router has NAT it's how they work, in your case your router isn't doing what it should.

How ironic would be to have the shitty half-assed payed service that sony provides being buried deeper in its own misery by a colateral damage like this.

PS4 being jailbroken won't do a thing for me, but I would certainly enjoy seeing PSN die painfully.

·Downtime.
·Unable to join friends on occasion in a group party because NAT issues.
·Unable to join friends on ocasion in a game because NAT issues.
·Playing P2P even on first party games while paying to play online (LOL).

Oh, my PS4 is directly connected to a switch that goes wired to my router on a 300 mbps fiber connection. I have no trouble with download speeds but forwarding is ridiculously bad for 2015.

Also the few instaces of downtime that all services suffer.... No one takes a couple of downtimes per month on average, not even free services. Sony's SLA, again, for a payed service, must be among the worse in the industry.

This might be because I'm a mainly PC gamer and, to be perfectly honest, my standards using several online distribution platforms makes Sony's look like rubbish.

So maybe I shouldn't wise up but the people who only uses one service and has nothing to compare to, thus being happy with the service :)

User of the year right here.

This won't end well for you

FrunkQ

Neo Member
I used to be into modding when I was a teenager, but eventually decided it wasn't worth the trouble:

My thoughts exactly... I fell into the same trap! When you spend all your time hacking around, downloading, burning and collecting you don't actually play the damn games!

This is one of the reasons why "losses due to piracy" are way overstated for modern consoles (this gen and last). A download is not a lost sale! Unless the hack is reliable, easy and non-technical there is little impact on software sales. And with the patching cycle it will NEVER be reliable or easy going forward. If you are someone who is technically minded, cash poor and time rich may be able to do both. They may play the games they copy and could be regarded as a "lost sale" but that would have been unlikely as they don't have the cash.

But I have found that technically minded people rarely stay time poor for long :) So you face that choice of play "cat and mouse" or "a game"! Both are kind of fun, but I now prefer the narrative and progression of real games. The "hacking game" was a little too repetitive and frustrating... like a badly constructed open world game. Hehe - real life!

And I now play more games than I ever used to, even though I am time poor and cash rich. In fact I think those early piracy days have paid off for the software companies as I want more games than I can possibly actually play in my lifetime... and because I have the cash they sit there in shrink wrap. The "collector mentality" still exists, this time in their favour :)

macewank

It's not an advocacy thing. What you're arguing here is completely inaccurate.

"PSN" does not develop games any more than "Steam" develops games. P2P/Dedicated is a developer thing. There are TONS of P2P games on Steam. There are lots of then on PS4 too (and Xbox One as well).

NAT issues are wonky. Always have been. Have also always been a factor in peer network communication since.. forever. Sony can't fix them for you any more than Toyota can magically fix that rattle coming from your left front tire. At some point, someone who actually knows what they're doing is going to have to look at what's going on and fix it. As it pertains to your home network, that's... that's gonna be you. So yeah, if you're having consistent NAT issues, you might want to read up on how to fix them.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I would love to be able to install my disc based games onto my HDD. That would be so cool.

QaaQer

Okay then.

If person X torrents Fargo s02e08 and would not have watched if it wasn't available to dl, how is it stealing?

I'm not saying it isn't, I just don't understand who or what person X is hurting. Help me see the light.

Shari

It's not an advocacy thing. What you're arguing here is completely inaccurate.

"PSN" does not develop games any more than "Steam" develops games. P2P/Dedicated is a developer thing. There are TONS of P2P games on Steam. There are lots of then on PS4 too (and Xbox One as well).

NAT issues are wonky. Always have been. Have also always been a factor in peer network communication since.. forever. Sony can't fix them for you any more than Toyota can magically fix that rattle coming from your left front tire. At some point, someone who actually knows what they're doing is going to have to look at what's going on and fix it. As it pertains to your home network, that's... that's gonna be you. So yeah, if you're having consistent NAT issues, you might want to read up on how to fix them.

I dont have consistent NAT issues, I have only NAT issues with PSN, if it would be consistent and accross different services I wouldnt mention it here.

Whatever, this conversation is pointless and as other user points its probably not going to end well for me wether I have the right to complain for this or not. I'll write down this subject as taboo and be done with it.

If person X torrents Fargo s02e08 and would not have watched if it wasn't available to dl, how is it stealing?

I'm not saying it isn't, I just don't understand who or what person X is hurting. Help me see the light.
It shouldn't belong to you if you've never paid for it, regardless of whether it is made available to you or not.

If I have something I've decided not to sell to you, it does NOT mean it's OK for you to obtain it without my consent, whether it hurts me or not, stealing remains stealing.

kitch9

Banned
I dont have consistent NAT issues, I have only NAT issues with PSN, if it would be consistent and accross different services I wouldnt mention it here.

Whatever, this conversation is pointless and as other user points its probably not going to end well for me wether I have the right to complain for this or not. I'll write down this subject as taboo and be done with it.

You will be having other "issues" only PSN tells you that there will be issues before you have them.

NAT issues are user issues sorry.

roblox

Banned

It shouldn't belong to you if you've never paid for it, regardless of whether it is made available to you or not.

If I have something I've decided not to sell to you, it does NOT mean it's OK for you to obtain it without my consent, whether it hurts me or not, stealing remains stealing.

6a00d83451688169e2013482e7b312970c-pi

KyleCross

PS4 is jailbroken? Good I'd say. While I'll most likely never make use of any such advances some really cool things come out about systems when they are jailbroken, and also reveals some shitty practices. Like how every PS3 is capable of emulating PS2 games and PS2 Classics is literally just a PS2 iso in a wrapper.

c0de

The WebKit exploit was patched in firmware 2, from October 2014. This won't be a piracy magnet.

It enables reverse engineering the consoles at uid 0. What comes out of this, we will have to see but saying it won't do anything is false. From here, anything can happen.

gossi

It enables reverse engineering the consoles at uid 0. What comes out of this, we will have to see but saying it won't do anything is false. From here, anything can happen.

I never said it won't do anything. It will be really interesting, if the knowledge of how to exploit is spread.

Sony should hire this guy ASAP. Or Microsoft.

Fliesen

Even if there's no legal at-release streaming available in Romanovia, there's almost always a legal way to consume most TV shows

Here you go.

You simply cannot create copies of media saying "i wouldn't have watched it anyways". That excuse is far too easily thrown around.

Meaty

Okay then.

Gabe's interview will help shed some light on this opinion:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114391-Valves-Gabe-Newell-Says-Piracy-Is-a-Service-Problem

Does having an awful service give pirates the right to not buy for your product?
Absolutely not. But you are doing something very very wrong if pirating gets you a better product/easier obtainable product. Fix that.

Hypothetical example: Nintendo could offer snes smulation on the N3DS, but they choose not to, the modders managed to get it running. Id rather give nintendo the money, but now im tempted to get an R4 and run pirated games on my N3DS because the pirates are offering me a better service.

What? What do you mean by "going apeshit" and how do you expect them to act? They will definitely try to patch this with a new firmware.

Like, I dunno, use legal scare tactics to keep people like George Hotz silent. They had no case against him, yet went in full force knowing he didn't have the resources to stand up against them in court. Then, of course, we have the moment of grace where they went after graf_chokolo, had his home raided, and confiscated all his equipment. It wasn't enough to just issue a patch (which they did) - they were out to spread fear. That's going apeshit to me.

OfficerZap

Neo Member
Like, I dunno, use legal scare tactics to keep people like George Hotz silent. They had no case against him, yet went in full force knowing he didn't have the resources to stand up against them in court. Then, of course, we have the moment of grace where they went after graf_chokolo, had his home raided, and confiscated all his equipment. It wasn't enough to just issue a patch (which they did) - they were out to spread fear. That's going apeshit to me.

Maybe don't reverse engineer a megacorp's current product that has a lot of money tied up in it, then?

kitch9

Banned
Lol all this is reminding me of why I hated Sony so much, I forgot about all their bs last gen.

Uh? You realise how much damage this potentially does right? If I'd invested billions and you were threating to damage it I'd have a fookin hit squad at your house.

They have a right to defend their ip within the limits of the law.

If you are an adult, you know when rules are to be followed and when to be broken. You will have to make your own choices and live with them.

My point is: I pirated alot of games (especially in the c64 era), because it was easy and I was a kid and didn't understood boundaries and morals. I continued to pirate in my teenage years, downloaded alot of games, played very few of them.
Now I buy my software, because I'll only buy what I will actually play and it's only fair that I'll pay for it. But I won't impose my morals on anyone pretending to be on superior moral ground or, worse, pretending to believe that piracy is hurting me in any way (especially in these times).
I'll buy my games and jailbreak my devices. I see no conflict here.

kitch9

Banned

This hack doesn't have any keys, of which there will be dozens, and there'll be none residing in ram. Sony can just keep re-rolling the firmware and changing the locks and even the doors.

Jailbroken is when the master key is found to the lock that cannot be changed, then one that is hidden behind the dozens of other locks then we can all get excited.

This hack doesn't have any keys, of which there will be dozens, and there'll be none residing in ram. Sony can just keep re-rolling the firmware and changing the locks and even the doors.

Jailbroken is when the master key is found to the lock that cannot be changed, then one that is hidden behind the dozens of other locks then we can all get excited.

So its like Vita kernel exploits (PSP) which can be used to make our own home-brew right ?

I never said it won't do anything. It will be really interesting, if the knowledge of how to exploit is spread.

Sony should hire this guy ASAP. Or Microsoft.

Sony has a long history of not hiring people it should.

Example #1 the BLEEM guys

Example #2 Dark Alex ( hands down caused them the most problems)

Example #3 Geohot - They did have him come in and show their security guys how he did it though.

Cleve

I don't think people realize how hacked together so many central features of the internet they access together are. Genearlly people actually get off pretty lucky with as smart and configured for them a lot of this stuff is.

Peering behind the curtain for simple stuff like DNS and smtp can be pretty terrifying for what people expect to be such essential services.

Top Bottom