• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smasher89

Watched a list seems to be in stock on nearly all retailers here in sweden , its too expensive and will cost more in a couple of months too unless they adjust the price.

Zurick

Banned
PPAM2j5.png

GameStop has blue ones, a link a few posts up.

I have the Gray JoyCon's but I've put the Blue gel guards over (silicone) and it's lovely. I do however want Blue JoyCons should I ever take them off, might be worth it at this point to wait a bit while Nintendo fixes the manufacturing process, no?

correojon

I went to Game and they had nothing in stock, said they'll get 3-4 units next week. Went to ECI and managed to get a grey one, only 2 remaining and Neon was sold out. In fact, the whole Switch section was pretty empty. Also, BotW was sold out as well and got the last neon joycons which were available. In both places they said it was flying off the shelves.

Ouroboros

My friend finally got one today via amazon. I saw his text 5 minutes after he told me and I saw Amazon still had it in stock....I hope a lot of actual gamers snagged one and it wasn't all scalpers!

TS-08

Do you mind giving an actual link? "Find a store" isn't very helpful when it's an image, y'know.

"Find a store" is probably just a link to a store locator page. That's something you should be able to figure out pretty easily. And you could always call your local store or stores to see if they will have stock.

Alchemy

Well NewEgg apparently had stock for about two minutes. How the hell do people snag those so fast they were gone by the time my inStock alert went off.

Curious what the "Save on Switch games & more!" is referring to. There's a few amiibo I'm looking to nab.

Anyone know?

Maybe some type of bundle deal? I would expect it to be a very small amount, whatever the discount is.

At this point, getting a Switch at retail price is enough of a deal thanks to scalpers lol.

Considering the Wii freaking U sold near 2 million at launch? YES

Wii U didn't launch in March, though? It launched during the holidays, when consumer demand for electronics is way higher than it is during the rest of the year.

You're also forgetting that one of the big problems with the Wii U launch was that after the initial allocations Nintendo was left with tons of unsold stock on store shelves.

zarnold56

Posted in another thread, but there were 5 of them I could see at a GameStop here in Des Moines when I got off work. Trying to justify going back to buy one, but with a Vegas trip coming up it is hard.

Alchemy

Wii U didn't launch in March, though? It launched during the holidays, when consumer demand for electronics is way higher than it is during the rest of the year.

You're also forgetting that one of the big problems with the Wii U launch was that after the initial allocations Nintendo was left with tons of unsold stock on store shelves.

I mean either way both systems were set to sell out the first few months due to launch hype. What will be interesting to see is how the Switch does in the months leading up to the holiday season once launch hype dies down. Then we can get a more fair comparison to Wii U numbers.

And now I'm remembering that Nintendo Land was pretty much the only big Wii U game at launch and I'm just crying inside.

Dekutulla

"Find a store" is probably just a link to a store locator page. That's something you should be able to figure out pretty easily. And you could always call your local store or stores to see if they will have stock.

I misread "in-store" as "in select stores", that was my bad.

Walmart has Switch Pro Controllers in stock online for order right now. Should get my Switch from Amazon on Sunday and my Pro Controller from Walmart Monday.

Ottaro

I called my local Toys R' Us. They said that they would start giving out tickets at 8:45.

Anyone else going to try TRU tomorrow?

I called my local Toys R' Us. They said that they would start giving out tickets at 8:45.

yeah.. I'll be heading over to mine in the morning.

will probably try to get there about 7:30.. see how many people are there.

Reven

That's disappointing about the lack of Neon restocks. I'm hoping its just this first wave of restocks is grey and hopefully the next wave will be Neon's.

Alchemy

Is it foolish to wait to get a Neon unit >.> I want it and the opposite Neon joycons so I can swap between red and blue set ups... gray is so boring T-T

Spenny

I'm grabbing one for my friend who just left to China for a week. I'll probably get there at 6 AM and wait in my car until someone lines up.

Oreoleo

Is it foolish to wait to get a Neon unit >.> I want it and the opposite Neon joycons so I can swap between red and blue set ups... gray is so boring T-T
Nah, if that's what you want and you don't mind waiting more power to you. Nothing foolish about that at all.

TLZ

Banned
With Mario Kart coming out in April, I don't see the stock situation improving much.

It should still be better than a couple switches per shop. Just don't give in to scalpers. Nintendo upped manufactuing to 16 million starting April so having a steady stream of stock every month. Just a little patience.

TheContact

Toys r us might have some. They open at 9. I'm gonna head over around 8. Will have my 1 year old son so it I have to wait outside for a while I can't get one (it's kinda cold here)

My target just got 4-5 units in. Confirmed on their website.

Going to try for one here instead of TRU.

Especially since it wasn't advertised and they open in 1hr.

No one else but me here ATM.

boiled goose

good with gravy
If Nintendo didn't do it with basically every piece of hardware they've sold in 20+ years noone would say it.

They 100% use scarcity to drive free press.

It's smart, I can't tell you how many people I know bought a wii or nes mini and barely used it just because "it's hard to find but they had it in the store!" months after launch.

For every frustrated gamer who bails or waits a year there are dozens of people who aren't as knowledgeable who get suckered by this tactic.

Toy, sneaker, and fashion companies have been using this tactic for decade as well, this is nothing new.

Please show me with math how in the end you net more sales by shipping less. I want supply over time, demand over time, and sales over time.

Every other company MUST SUCK at business for not engaging in this amazing tactic that nets free money.

Please show me with math how in the end you net more sales by shipping less. I want supply over time, demand over time, and sales over time.

Every other company MUST SUCK at business for not engaging in this amazing tactic that nets free money.

It's not that complicated, if you want exact numbers go pay a marketing research firm. All this takes is common sense and reading this thread.

This thread is full of examples of people who bought one despite being on the fence because they were hard to find.

This thread is also full of people who will buy one no matter how long it takes to find one.

They don't lose basically any sales by doing this, and drive news stories/hype around the product.

It's been explained time and time again other companies (especially toy companies) do use this tactic especially in the run up to the holidays, but not every company follows this path because they have different goals or sales philosophies.

People defending Nintendo as if they are defending their family and as if pointing out this tactic is somehow calling Nintendo evil is continually hilarious.

Oxn

It's not that complicated, if you want exact numbers go pay a marketing research firm. All this takes is common sense and reading this thread.

This thread is full of examples of people who bought one despite being on the fence because they were hard to find.

This thread is also full of people who will buy one no matter how long it takes to find one.

They don't lose basically any sales by doing this, and drive news stories/hype around the product.

It's been explained time and time again other companies (especially toy companies) do use this tactic especially in the run up to the holidays, but not every company follows this path because they have different goals or sales philosophies.

People defending Nintendo as if they are defending their family and as if pointing out this tactic is somehow calling Nintendo evil is continually hilarious.

Exactly man.

Also i remember on release day there were still plenty of places having stock even through the next day. Then the fear of missing out when stocks started dwindling and news saying the next big shipment wont be until April, and then people started heading to their local store.

It is common sense and human nature.

vern

I'm grabbing one for my friend who just left to China for a week. I'll probably get there at 6 AM and wait in my car until someone lines up.

If you can't get one, your friend will have no problem finding one in China. Stock is plentiful here.

aw fuck they got some grey ones in stock about 20 minutes away from me at a Walmart... and I just got paid.. fuck I want it but I can't decide if I want to get one now or wait.. SHIT!

TheContact

Prob not gonna get one today since I can't leave my house until after 8. People are lined up outside toys r us already and target opens at 8 and takes me a half hr to get there

My local Walmart got some and they have one left. Can't leave. Hate my life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom