• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what do you want to see in the new The Legend of Zelda (GC) game?

Kon Tiki

Banned
That is why I said should. Having a game that looks like a cartoon with text bubbles is a crime. I have seen games with significantly lower budject have voice. It does not have to be big name talent to be good. I can name tons of movies where an independent unknown actors do better jobs at acting then big name talent.

Big name talent would actually be the wrong choice for the game, the voice of the character should be the voice of the character.

Either way, Nintendo has little to no experience working with vocal talent and directors. There's a 1/10000000 chance that they'd luck out and have a Metal Gear Solid-calibre production on their hands.

I still think they could ramp up production values much easier with the soundtrack.

FightyF

Banned
And mature dialogue would be great. At the very least, on par with the dialogue in GTA: San Andreas. Throw in swears liberally, and this game will steal the spotlight from all others.

I am sure that it will be wonderful, but as mush as I love the old qualitiesd that are returning, I want enough new elements that it doesn't simply feel like an extension of the past games.
I
want the world to feel dangerous (of course, much more challenge than the very easy Majora's Mask and Wind Waker is imperative here.) I want to be surprised at every turn. Most of all, I want what I was promised on that N64 demo long ago: a rich 3D world to explore .

The past few games have had such limited overworlds that they have felt like simple stages. Majora's Mask had a decent overworld, but at the expense of the dungeons (plus, most of the ovewrworld interaction involved those wretched masks).

I would love several complex towns. I want a game that is free enough from Zelda tradition that it does not focus on the castle town and the main village (such as Kakariko). When I first found the main town in wind waker, I assumed that there would be several towns to discover like that one, but all the other islands had far less to do.

Insertia

I want the new LOZ to be like LTTP. That's the best Zelda ever and my fav SNES game. LTTP was more RPGish and linear then the 3d Zelda's. Also it had the best side quest and dungeons. The dungeons in OoT bored me to tears.

hobbitx

Celda should of had voice. If you disagree, your opinion is wrong.

What are you, like 9? If you think voice acting would great for Zelda that's fine by me, but if me or anyone else doesn't that doesn't mean were wrong, it just means we don't like something you do. Please grow up and stop being so impartial to the opinions of others.

Challenge.

Or at least the option for a harder difficulty if they insist on WW's dumbed down difficultly level.

And more complex dungeons like OoT's Water Temple and the dungeons of MM.

Bregor

Classic Zelda gameplay.
Large Overworld
Lots of Dungeons
Lots of sidequests
Several towns.
Challenging Puzzles and Enemies
Good production values - make this a graphical showcase, Nintendo!

Tritroid

I want to see a MASSIVE overworld literally filled the brim with secrets and enemies. OoT's Hyrule Field was nice in that it was particularly large, but void of anything item or enemy related. I want a true iteration of LttP's massive and packed overworld in 3D. I also want the ability to travel to more locations. If I see a mountain in the far off distance, I want to be able to climb it. If I see a raging river, I want to be able to follow it to a remote location. Don't block me in with vertical walls. :p

I want destructive elements that last throughout the entire game. I want sword and shield damage that lasts from hard blows. (Nothing major of course, just little nicks that make the sword + shield more unique and realistic). I also want more freedom when it comes to swordplay; The ability to actually 'master' the use of a sword, not just pressing a few random buttons at the right time. (c-stick possibilities and/or button combinations)

I want the most elaborate and expansive story ever told in a Zelda legend. I DO NOT WANT another repeat of the same classic story. I want story writers to actually have enough balls to take this Zelda in a new direction, similar to how Wind Waker's story was handeled, but with much much much more detail. I want plost twists, I want surprises, I want moments of shock and awe, and I want AT LEAST a hint of a romance between Link and Zelda, which is something we haven't seen since they kissed in Zelda 2. :p

But since I realize these requests are too much for Nintendo, I'll settle for more challenging puzzles, new locations, new items/weapons, and voice acting for characters other than Link. :)

-More dungeons
-more towns,with alot more people and side quests in them
-original side quests"like the picture taking sidequest in TWW"i want acouple of so called big side quest that span thru the intire game, with many diffrent charakters involved in the sidequest.
-be able to go anywhere on the map
-more sword tecnics
-alot of secret stuff that takes ages to find out how to get them"that will make the game last longer"

well thats it! eh yeah

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I must be the only guy who doesn't give a flying fuck about Zelda's story. As long as every so often we have a different basic story to Link saving Zelda, like we have quite a lot of times already, I'm happy.

Personally I'd prefer a simple story told well, like in OoT or Link's Awakening.

Oh and no voice acting. Luckily I think those of us who feel that way are probably going to be okay on that for a while.

It should still retain that sense of quirkiness / magic. That's all I need. If sailing is needed.. I suggest, that link can use a huge leaf to traverse water... and its not wind dependent.

... and I don't know how Zeldaish this is but damn, riding that cloud dragon in secret of mana rocked. Maybe a airborn companion

Mama Smurf said:
I must be the only guy who doesn't give a flying fuck about Zelda's story. As long as every so often we have a different basic story to Link saving Zelda, like we have quite a lot of times already, I'm happy.
You are not alone!

AssMan

Banned
A wide variety of enemies with puzzle-like tactics

Agreed.

Let link throw his sword

Whoa! That would be an awesome impale move! What would be better if Link missed and it got stuck on a tree.

Huge boss fights

I agree. Add more HUGE, HUGE, boss fights, like the first lava battle in WW, but THIS TIME let link be able to climb on the bosses to hit certain weak spots.

P.S. Shiggy did say there will be branches leading to different locales in the new LOZ, so I think you can throw out the "no more branching areas."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mama Smurf said:
Good music. Wind Waker sucked outside of a couple of pieces.

Everything else I want is pretty much guaranteed with a Zelda game. Oh I'd like new puzzles too, but I'm not worried about that as we've been told Miyamoto asked Aonuma to concentrate on that amongst other things.

Bam! That's exactly what I was planning on posting. :p

they should have a colusseum mode in the new Zelda like what Square did with FFVII and Kingdom Heart. It'd be like that endless cave in WW... challenge up the wazoo...

no fairies
endless batttles (not endless.. of course)
bigger better fights
boss
.. rewards... armor/sword or even... 1 measle bottle.

* isn't it funny how in a zelda game... you literally jump with joy when you receive an empty bottle? Nintendo = MAGIC

geogaddi

Banned
- Outdoor wind that causes the trees to shuffle, sway and make noises. Sudden wind gusts. More ambient sounds.

- More rocks, pebbles, hills, tree stumps, and random earth formations spread out in fields. Not just repeating perfectly-trimmed-grass-texture-for-tiger-woods field.
- More "thick" and big trees like LttP, jumbled up, creating pathways, blocking access to something etc.

- More of those things where you say "how the heck do I get there?" and the overwhelming feeling that much has to be dicovered. For instance, early in the game there is a huge gate and you can't get in. Wayy later in the game you say "i don't know what Im supposed to do" and all of the sudden you say "Holy frijoles! I remember that gate wayy back!"

- More of the Earthbound-style, Spirited Away movie quirkiness of weirdness. Dark World in LttP is sort of like this.

- More "dark" and serious music. The moderation of music-ambience needs to be there. OoT and WW is more inclined to fruitier music than dark. There needs to be a better balance. More dreamier music is needed, similar to the music in Links Awakening in the main village were he actually goes to sleep to a level where you find lots of money and a bracelet I believe.

- More "over the top" camera angles like the old Zelda games and Oot when you try to hide from the soldiers to get to Zelda.

- Want to be able to steal. Afterall, Link is a thief.

- More magic items/odd but interesting items !
Ether pendant, quake pendant, magic mirror, magic cape, moon pearl, magic canes, magic rod, roc feather, book of modura, golden leafs, raft, ladder, etc. etc.

- Items or magic spells that turn Link into Neo-Link/superLink where his eyes flash red and his body glows with dark energy type stuff. Kind of like NES Zelda 1 when you get that item were you become invincible.

- New storyline. Ganon is in a prison, bound the triforce's magic, and the new conflict is from foreign power from another world, from a leader and his shadowy army of Lynel-type creatures. This time, just like how Zelda helped Link kill Ganon in Oot, Zelda plays a MAJOR role with Link in this new conflict. Something "outside" from the scope that we know of Link and his journeys.

AniHawk

Fight for Freeform said:
And mature dialogue would be great. At the very least, on par with the dialogue in GTA: San Andreas. Throw in swears liberally, and this game will steal the spotlight from all others.

The Zelda games work absolutely fine without swears. I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not though.

ge-man

"More "over the top" camera angles like the old Zelda games and Oot when you try to hide from the soldiers to get to Zelda."

That's something that's supposedly going to play a big role in dungeons in the new Zelda, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for the voice acting thing--I just don't care. I don't see what the big fuss has been about voice acting. It doesn't add anything to the experince when compared to well done sound effects and music. I'm fine with imagining what the characters sound like and not having to deal with hit and miss voice acting.

I'm also not too worried about the story. I think there's been as many non-Ganon tales as there have been tales based around Ganon. And just because there are certain fundemental elements to all of these stories, it doesn't mean that exectution cannot be fresh. I thought Wind Waker was a pretty fresh take on the whole Link, Ganon, Zelda triangle.

MaddenNFL64

Yes, the Battleships Guy should become like a sort of Cid of FF fame. He just pops in the game somewhere. Maybe not the mini game, but lets say at a dock & theres this guy going "Spliiiish! Sploooosh!" on a pier. That would just be awesome :).

geogaddi said:
-
- Want to be able to steal. Afterall, Link is a thief.

you already can. Its called Grappling Hook (or what its called in WW).

I love the outdoor winds idea. They've proven they can kind of do wind on the WIND ISLE on ww... now they should take it to the next level.

Imagine.

Woods.. no wind.
Woods.. breeze... leaves flying about
Woods... Gale... trees shaking.. crazy amounts of debri.

Apply that to fields with flowers.. + pollen.. + sunsets + sunrise = magic.

Asking too much I know

Kon Tiki

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
you already can. Its called Grappling Hook (or what its called in WW).

I love the outdoor winds idea. They've proven they can kind of do wind on the WIND ISLE on ww... now they should take it to the next level.

Imagine.

Woods.. no wind.
Woods.. breeze... leaves flying about
Woods... Gale... trees shaking.. crazy amounts of debri.

Apply that to fields with flowers.. + pollen.. + sunsets + sunrise = magic.

Asking too much I know

Heh, not to mention entering homes and breaking bottles.

belgurdo

Banned
-being able to use any weapon against any enemy, and have multiple parameters/attack patterns (I hated the fact that the hammer, when featured in a game, is largely useless, boomerangs only work against a few types of enemies, enemy weapons in WW change your stats in no way whatsoever, etc.)

-being able to play as Zelda, or some other character, instead of just having a do-all Link

-a plot more meaty than "Zelda's been kidnapped. Get her and kill Ganon!"

-interesting dialogue, instead of just having characters talk about nothing or telling you where to go next

-multiple towns, or even multiple countries

-voice acting. The 80s are dead

I was all smiles when I got to play (not really) as PEACH in Paper Mario. It was extremely charming. It will be good if she had a greater role to play. Like in WW (although I didn't warm to Tetra... I knew who she was from the start)... The game is called the legend of Zelda

the weapon types in zelda games are there for you to exploit. I personally preferred to just slash things to death. Nintendo is good at mixing things up.

Leaf vs Butterfly + swordplay in ww

Arrow + swordplay vs frog in MM.

One thing I do hope they include is the option to quick tab periphery weapons. I hate to say this but the one thing that is getting old for me with the zelda games is the constant going into the menu screen. By the time I got to the last temple in MM and the constant changing of masks to get those effigy stands in place. I was like Uugrrggh. And it wasn't just that in MM. You have to play that music all the time in the dungeon. Like TEH annoying.

If they use connectivity for this... I would be happy to use my GBASP to change equipment on the fly. Just a sub screen for the inventory. That's how they could use connectivity. A bit lame but i believe will work.

Kon Tiki

Banned
belgurdo said:
-being able to play as Zelda, or some other character, instead of just having a do-all Link

ss_4.png

jesus. Why are you guys even debating the CDI zelda? I can't tell what you're saying Society but I don't see the relevance to this thread. Philips or whoever made the CDI zeldas.. fuck it.. this discussion is stupid. If Nintendo makes Zelda playable.. they will make it work.

I hope the designs for the ZORAs/Gorons and other species will be up to snuff. They definitley also need to make the town people more high poly/detailed and have more expansive roles.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
belgurdo said:
Yeah, cause change and innovation is teh bad! Burn him!11!!

Yes, because when I disagree with ONE of your points, that means I hate change and innovation and want you to burn. well done.

Some changes are indeed bad. This is the Legend of Zelda series, the whole point of them is it's you against the world. One small boy (or young man occasionaly) having to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds. Having other characters playable taints that idea, especially Zelda as she's the one you're meant to be rescuing. Plus I think the vast majority of games suffer from having multiple playable characters, rather than a focus.

As for innovation...having another character playable is innovative? Please.

What's the point anyway? If Nintendo want to change the gameplay for certain sections, they can just transform Link somehow. Nintendo should just leave it as Link, there's nothing gameplay wise you can't do with him in such a universe.

AniHawk

TheGreenGiant said:
I hope the designs for the ZORAs/Gorons and other species will be up to snuff. They definitley also need to make the town people more high poly/detailed and have more expansive roles.

I also hope Zelda and Ganondorf look as evolved as Link. She was a badass in OoT, make her a badass in the new game. I'm not sure where Ganondorf should fit in. I really want him to be that human character we all knew from TWW (and not the
inherently evil guy from LoZ, ALttP, OoT, and FSA
), but I liked his design in both TWW and OoT. Maybe Nintendo will find a way to give him a unique style (artistically) to this game unlike all others. I also would love to hate him for once.

AniHawk

As far as the setting of the game goes, I'd either like it to be set before OoT's Hero of Time era, or after Majora's Mask, and before The Wind Waker. Judging by the shield, and the trailer, this game could be very dark simply because Link doesn't really defeat evil in the end. I'd prefer the game to be set before OoT, as it could explain a little more about the backstories of other games (namely AoL and OoT).

no one else had a problem with the constant inventory swappage?

I doubt that Link won't triumph in the new LOZ. You can't end a game on a sour note. IMO, I think its great that Nintendo is trying to line up LOZ's chronology and make it make sense but sometimes, I wished they'd break the mould (MM was great). But then Nintendo did say of the WW link that there are many Links of legend.

I think it will be really interesting to see where Nintendo takes the next Zelda, the gameplay mechanics are more or less perfect; WW in many ways tried to push the Zelda gaming possibilities with the introduction of secondary controllable characters; the sailing wasn't too hot though. Gameplay is king in LOZ and I wish they don't neglect the mind-numbingly great expereinces of dungeon tracking in OOT, MM.

And while MM was quite different, I'm playing it again now; the move again from the stelwart LOZ items was quite refreshing in a way. Having the extra abilities (swim/roll/fly) is something I kind of missed in WW.

Storywise, I don't really want to conjecture but in every LOZ game, you never ever forget the sense of the grand quest at hand; something that many other games seem to fail. Nintendo has been consistently able to work the mini-games/side stories into the gameplay so much so that you are constantly advancing/exploring and all the time, having your eyes on the main prize.

AniHawk

TheGreenGiant said:
I doubt that Link won't triumph in the new LOZ. You can't end a game on a sour note.

I think it's possible for a game to end darker than other games, with it still being hopeful. If you've ever seen Terminator 3, you'd know what I mean.

Vargas

I want to see new supporting characters that are there for more than the occasional minigame. I don't want to see Ganon or Zelda.

AniHawk

Vargas said:
I want to see new supporting characters that are there for more than the occasional minigame. I don't want to see Ganon or Zelda.

GAMES WITH GANONODORF/GANON:
The Legend of Zelda
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
The Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures

GAMES WITH ZELDA:
The Legend of Zelda
Adventures of Link
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
The Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures

And there have only been 4/5 games in the series which have the same storyline:
OoT > TWW > LoZ/ALttP > AoL

I really would like the new game to take place in the main storyline. I don't think there's anything wrong with Ganondorf or Zelda (especially since the series is NAMED AFTER HER), just as long as they aren't tacked on at the end
like how horribly it was done in Four Swords Adventures

Vargas

What a way to ruin that game. I mean honestly Nintendo. Well maybe ruin is too strong a word, tainted is what I am looking for.

Top Bottom