• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some games journalist has an interesting way of information gathering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Pretty shitty and in reading that twitter reply from David Jaffe, its sad to see that he doesnt "get it" either.

Women in games are afraid to tell anybody to fuck off, they feel like all they can do is ignore the creepy guys advancements or they may either be out of a job or harrassed.

CGwizz

This will be a good neogaf night if we find out who he is lol

someone is getting is ass fired, this will be worst than that microsoft guy last year

jayu26

Stay-Classy.gif

snap0212

How is this even remotely acceptable anywhere? How does this person function in society?
Ive gotten similar offerings in the past. Just a co worker casually asking for 'things'. Perfect colleague, friend, but completely incapable of making advances that are not incredibly weird and creepy.

I think some people are wired in a weird way when it comes to these topics. It's like they're making their very first awkward steps.

Gangxxter

What the fuck, this is a journalist? That's sad, very sad. And pretty fucked up.

But neither do I understand the woman, first things she tells a complete stranger on Facebook are about her divorce and job-hunting? Those are private details you don't share with any random creep on the internet.

I don't know if I'd consider this person a "journalist". I mean "The Workshop", whatever that is, doesn't even come up on the first page (or second...but I'm not going to keep looking) if you google "The Workshop", which leads me to believe it's not a very reputable publication. I guess anyone can write some crap on the internet and call themselves a "journalist", but the days of "games journalism" are long gone.

The Workshop is the game dev. Site is here

They worked with Sony on the "Sorcery" demo for PS4. New game in development un-announced is what this "gentleman" was digging for it seems.

Arkam

Pretty sure that count as sexual harrasment.
And from a well known site? When this thing got blown, somebody going to get fired

What if... The two are actually friends? What if they have a preexisting relationship that has already confirmed that such crude dialogues are acceptable on private communication channels?

Reread it, they seem to know each other personally. Yea guy seems like a tool, but so are a lot of people and they still have friends who seem to enjoy their company still.

Just because a personal holds professional title X it does not mean they have to act any certain way in their personal life. This conversation seems to be the person seeking professional knowledge from a personal friend via personal communication channels.

ultron87

What if... The two are actually friends? What if they have a preexisting relationship that has already confirmed that such crude dialogues are acceptable on private communication channels?

Reread it, they seem to know each other personally. Yea guy seems like a tool, but so are a lot of people and they still have friends who seem to enjoy their company still.

Just because a personal holds professional title X it does not mean they have to act any certain way in their personal life. This conversation seems to be the person seeking professional knowledge from a personal friend via personal communication channels.

The original tweet directly says they have no personal relationship:
Friend got this amazing series of questions from a game "journalist" with whom she has no personal relationship. pic.twitter.com/Ag5iwUMqki

L Thammy

Wonder how many people went along with it without talking about it online? Naming and shaming is more than acceptable in this case.

That's the weird thing about it. Jaffe is kinda arguing the same thing on twitter at the moment, but whoever received the correspondence obviously forwarded it onto Laralyn in the first place & Laralyn felt comfortable enough to stick it publicly on Twitter expressing her distaste. Guess we'll see if the recipient comes forward now to Jason/Kotaku.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ugh... shameful. I hope he gets outed and publicly shamed. Need to get this creep as far away from covering this industry as possible. That was repulsive.

Mononoke

Banned
That's disgusting. It would only make sense if they were really close friends and this kind of talk was common and in jest (and both parties were comfortable with it). But clearly she wasn't comfortable, given this article. And even if they were friends, seems like a terrible way to do business.

Comes off as slimy/creepy either way.

I can't believe what's going on in our beloved industry. It makes me sad and tired. We seriosly need to fix that, don't you think? Maybe we need to ask Microsoft to sponsor more websites.

Yours,

Franck

Arkam

I read that. But unless I'm messing up on format recognition that looks like a Facebook conversation. Maybe I'm not a fb power user but I thought you had to be friends to chat. Regardless it's still private communication and the recipient could have ignored at any point or if they really had issue reported as harassment. Rarely do people publicize real issues if there is nothing to gain. Wouldn't be surprised if not an elaborate pr hoax even.

J.ceaz

That's pretty damn sad. Respect your job and yourself enough to have some damn professionalism. And before anyone says it being "into her" isn't an excuse. There are ways to communicate that without resorting to sexual harassment.

Mononoke

Banned
Pretty fucking despicable.

Why would she keep responding? Those responses are beyond creeeeepy.

I don't even think we have to ask this question. Maybe she didn't want to burn work relationships in that moment? Although maybe she could have messaged him and told him she wasn't comfortable and to stop it if they wanted to continue their work relationship.

Still, the fact she even has to do that. What the hell was he thinking?

Harlequin

Every time stuff like this comes up I can't help but wonder what the reactions would be if the genders of the persons involved had been reversed...

Naminator

Banned
We really need to know the name of this guy!

Otherwise how would we know if he speaks for the entire gaming/gaming journalist community, and if his actions represent what all us gamers(male only of course)/gaming journalists are all actually like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom