• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some guy leaked FFXV's story six months ago | up: newer 4chan stuff as of Dec 9th

It's really not a red flag. I can't tell one way or the other if this "leak" is true or not, but contractors working on games (or even outside of games) often get access to a lot of stuff, either because it's necessary to understand the context of a project or just through general hearsay working with full time team members. Hell, contractors often do full on development work, sometimes over years.

If you're looking for a smoking gun, that is not it.
The way is started posting more and more, the flaws in his supposed leaks started to become more apparent.

Regarding Versus, he said that

I was told that the characters got transported to another dimension (the after life, filled with ghosts), but that noctis wasn't able to recover from that and that he ended up sleeping/in a coma, with the female protagonist protecting him for eternity
Isn't that the literally the ending scene of XV, lol.

The female protagonist is also dead and was supposed to be killed by Noctis, who was commanded the Crystal to kill her, lol. So are you telling me that Stella wanted to be killed so that she could love Noctis in eternal life or what this bullshit rumor is cooking up as a story for Versus :p

Moreover, he says this in the recent leak for Versus

in the original script the Lucis family had built all their power from making sacrifices to the crystal or something like that.
The only thing I know about Ravus in the original script is that he had to cover his face because him being the heroine's brother was a plot point and that he wanted to kill Noctis for having killed his sister.
Ardyn was also a villain in the game and he was responsible for the crystals disappearing over time. He was inmortal because he was not granted access to the other dimension after being dead.

He has started to contradict himself over time. In his excitement, the plat details he is sharing regarding Versus don't even make sense anymore.

If you don't see it, then I don't know what to tell you.

kuroshiki

Kyle already gave us a story summary nearly a year ago:

ClcvzFd.gif

No. FF15 actually started with WTF? then continuous Huh? WTF? what? that's it?.
MGS5's only fault is the end part of the game. The rest were fucking awesome.

The way is started posting more and more, the flaws in his supposed leaks started to become more apparent.

Regarding Versus, he said that

Isn't that the literally the ending scene of XV, lol.

The female protagonist is also dead and was supposed to be killed by Noctis, who was commanded the Crystal to kill her, lol. So are you telling me that Stella wanted to be killed so that she could love Noctis in eternal life or what this bullshit rumor is cooking up as a story for Versus :p

Moreover, he says this in the recent leak for Versus

He has started to contradict himself over time. In his excitement, the plat details he is sharing regarding Versus don't even make sense anymore.

Well for starters, you're not even responding to what I said here - I was pointing out that being a contractor doesn't mean this person couldn't know anything important, theoretically.

Secondly you're gonna have to explain to me why all those are contradictions because I don't know what you're comparing them against.

Honestly this kind of thing is always prickly. The leaks (or "leaks" whatever you prefer here) are being discussed heavily because they seem very plausible to a lot of people. The flip side of that is, it's pretty easy to make a leak seem plausible in retrospect by filling in the blanks left by concrete details we did receive. For example, your quote mentions human sacrifice to the crystal. Years ago, there was an interview or whatever floating around saying Versus had to do with "reaper worship" - and there was that Death statue in the Stella trailer - so sacrifice could well have been a part of the story. Or it could be total bullshit, because it's very easy to make convincing sounding bullshit when you have details already.

The fact of the matter is we just don't know. We probably never will know. Either way, this thread is generating a lot of interesting discussion about this game's development.

Philippo

Well, wether the leaks are true or not, it's blatantly obvious that content (plot points, cutscenes, cities, entire dungeons and areas) were cut from the final game.
And i'm not talking about stuff from the Versus era, but from promotional material from less than a year ago.

So it's also an easy guess that when they said they're going to add more content (both story and gameplay), it's just going to be those cut things polished to release quality.
The only thing that we can hope is that these improvements are not only good, not only substantial, but massive, because i think this game still has a chance to become one of the greats.

Xanonano

That's all very well and good, but there were plenty of people who had "proof" to debunk the original leak, and it turned out to be real in the end. I mean, just look at some of the posts people were making in the first thread.

This "leak" leaves out important details to the plot that we've known about first hand from Tabata.

Decided to take the plunge and read through the entire thing now and it's unconvincing to people who've followed the game. There's no Plague of the Stars, blood moon, or the hooded guy here. I'm not convinced at all anymore.

For someone who knows so much about the game, those details aren't even touched upon.

Oh...

This guy made the entire 'leak' under the assumption that the Assassin's Creed/hooded guy would not be in the game since everyone assumed he would be cut. The leaks also came weeks before Tabata confirmed that he is indeed in the game.

No wonder he's missing from this.

This guy in particular was really convinced it was fake:

Sounds like it is written by someone who holds a grudge against the game. Completely fake and made up.

He can't be from qa because they don't get to play the whole game.

He can't be from marketing because they have no idea of the development history of company, not in this detail.

He can't be a dev because he wouldn't have any idea of the inside politics for SE.

In conclusion, this is a bunch of horse shit so best to ignore it instead of using it to fuel the flames.
;)

Well for starters, you're not even responding to what I said here - I was pointing out that being a contractor doesn't mean this person couldn't know anything important, theoretically.

Secondly you're gonna have to explain to me why all those are contradictions because I don't know what you're comparing them against.

Honestly this kind of thing is always prickly. The leaks (or "leaks" whatever you prefer here) are being discussed heavily because they seem very plausible to a lot of people. The flip side of that is, it's pretty easy to make a leak seem plausible in retrospect by filling in the blanks left by concrete details we did receive. For example, your quote mentions human sacrifice to the crystal. Years ago, there was an interview or whatever floating around saying Versus had to do with "reaper worship" - and there was that Death statue in the Stella trailer - so sacrifice could well have been a part of the story. Or it could be total bullshit, because it's very easy to make convincing sounding bullshit when you have details already.

The fact of the matter is we just don't know. We probably never will know. Either way, this thread is generating a lot of interesting discussion about this game's development.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regarding the contract part, yes, you are correct that it doesn't make him outright fake. But the way he is trying to present himself as a developer while also slowly drip feeding leaks just makes it sound like he is enjoying the attention and never expected the original story to gain so much focus. This tends to happen with a lot of Insiders even here on GAF who are surprised by the attention they gather and then end up making stuff that is false. Verendus is the latest prime example.

In any case, the first story update along with the first expansion will hopefully put a lid on his leaks. I don't believe them FWIW.

That's all very well and good, but there were plenty of people who had "proof" to debunk the original leak, and it turned out to be real in the end. I mean, just look at some of the posts people were making in the first thread.
This new leak is from a completely different person altogether, no?

I would have no issue in accepting it as something real if this was the same person as the story leak 6 months ago.

jett

D-Member
a reimagining by mr. final fantasy vii advent children

great

One thing that worries me is Nomura's obsession with Gackt. I don't know what's the deal with that shit but it has sadly informed so many of his major character designs since FF7. Wonder if he'll shove Genesis into the game.

Ran rp

Weren't there multiple 4chan leaks before? I thought only the one in the op was legit. That's why I don't get why some people are giving this more credence than the others.

Ray Down

Banned
PSY・S;226330722 said:
Weren't there multiple 4chan leaks before? I thought only the one in the op was legit. That's why I don't get why some people are giving this more credence than the others.

There were 2 other guys leaking info.

One leaking Gamescom details another confirming the leaked details also confirming Gladio has a sister.

PSY・S;226330722 said:
As for this thread, I believe there are 3 leaks.

Leak 1 - 6 months ago with the story summary. Turned out to be mostly correct but not 100%.

Leak 2 - This new leak that talks about Versus story and the cut content/dev issues for FFXV. No one knows if this is correct or another fake.

Leak 3 - Someone claiming that SE plans to get Nomura back to direct FF Versus XV with his original vision.

KmfrI82.png

yunbuns

One thing that worries me is Nomura's obsession with Gackt. I don't know what's the deal with that shit but it has sadly informed so many of his major character designs since FF7. Wonder if he'll shove Genesis into the game.

He will probably be a secret boss somewhere.

Ishida

Banned
As for this thread, I believe there are 3 leaks.

Leak 1 - 6 months ago with the story summary. Turned out to be mostly correct but not 100%.

Leak 2 - This new leak that talks about Versus story and the cut content/dev issues for FFXV. No one knows if this is correct or another fake.

Leak 3 - Someone claiming that SE plans to get Nomura back to direct FF Versus XV with his original vision.

KmfrI82.png

I don't believe the second one, but the third one is just plain hilarious.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I dislike Advent Children, but I'll never forget Nomura's direct contributions to creating my favorite game -- Final Fantasy VII.

I dislike Advent Children, but I'll never forget Nomura's direct contributions to creating my favorite game -- Final Fantasy VII.

The director and writer are also heavily involved with the remake. I wouldnt be worried about 7 remake unless you hated what you saw in the versus XIII gameplay trailers because i think thats going to be what we get.

Pooya

Removing Luna's scenes because of potential criticism sounds so dumb that I could believe it to be true with this team...

iHaunter

It was a bit hard to care about Luna when we barely see here character develop.

I cared significantly more about
Iggy going blind :'(

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The director and writer are also heavily involved with the remake. I wouldnt be worried about 7 remake unless you hated what you saw in the versus XIII gameplay trailers because i think thats going to be what we get.

Naw, I'm extremely stoked for VII-R. Outside of Mass Effect 3, it is my most anticipated game... possibly of all time. :D

KupoNut

Also even if FFVII-R's plot comes off as convoluted or has the same issues as FFXV, I think it will still be received well because most people have played the original and know who these characters are and what's going on. FFVII-Remake will be a guaranteed success.

iHaunter

My wife really care about that. She really wanted (ending spoilers)
somebody, anybody to be happy. She was like "Luna died. Noctis died. What was the point?"

Exactly...

Even in the begging of the story Noctis was indifferent about marrying Luna, he just wanted to see here again. All we have in terms of character development about Luna is flash backs of when they were children. Then she suddenly dies? How are we supposed to have ANY attachment to her?

And why did he have to sacrifice himself? Can't the crystal just cleanse the demon inside Adryn?

Golnei

That video made me feel like checking out a final boss + ending video. I had to totally forgotten about Mecha-Broly Vayne. The hell is this example of complete and utter tastelessness. I wonder if he existed before Matsuno went insane.

I'm not sure - although Guildenstern's first form had a better design, it wasn't too different conceptually.

Vagrant_story_3_guildenstern.png

I can believe the part about the Dev team stressing so much about getting the game out for release. Even Tabata admits that the game was unstable and full of flaws in the final phase of development:

"Now let me say one thing about this book, or rather, about the way that the Piggyback team do their work. It was during the final phase of development that their job began - having to unravel an exceptionally unstable game that was full of flaws. At this stage, the balancing work was still incomplete and the game was far from what you could call playable. Even so, they stayed in Tokyo for several weeks and worked right there beside the development team, tenaciously playing unstable versions of the game without a day of rest."

The rest can be a little unbelievable but considering how bare bones the second half of the game is I can see all that cut content as being true.

DR2K

Banned
This thread is getting me to want to play through Final Fantasy XV. I'll probably jump in tomorrow and give it a fair assessment.

Also even if FFVII-R's plot comes off as convoluted or has the same issues as FFXV, I think it will still be received well because most people have played the original and know who these characters are and what's going on. FFVII-Remake will be a guaranteed success.
I think the opposite actually.

Since people have already played the crazy plot of the original, they will likely hate any change for the story and compare it with the original. So it would be kind of like a Final Fantasy Versus VII where the original vision would be praised or hated depending on the changes.

jimmypython

Once you leave for Altissia it does feel the game is about to REALLY open up.....

lol

Dragon Age Inquisition had multiple smaller open world maps filled with fetch quests (i still remember "Leave Hinterland" on Gaf lol....). And The Witcher 3 also had more than one.

Maybe one way to make XV feel better is to break the giant continent into smaller islands, giving player a sense of "world".

Once you leave for Altissia it does feel the game is about to REALLY open up.....

lol

Dragon Age Inquisition had multiple smaller open world maps filled with fetch quests. And The Witcher 3 also had more than one.

Maybe one way to make XV feel better is to break the giant continent into smaller islands, giving player a sense of "world".
Both of these games didn't come with 10 years of baggae and director change mid development.

Dragon Age inquisition took around 4 years and was developed on an established engine while Witcher 3 utilizes an in-house engine but also took the same time.

Ray Down

Banned
Again naming your self of a character is always generally a bad idea.

Another Example:

Friend on NF named himself of a dragon in Fairy Tail who he thought was cool...then it turned out his whole gimmick was when he breaths on people and somehow destroys the clothes they wear.

Include several men but mostly women, he also tried to to do that to a 13 year old girl....lets just say me and others had a filed day with him.

Slater

Banned
I will forever find amusing when people condemn Nomura, and praise FFVII's story in the same breath.
Because he's the reason for a lot of the bad story telling in 7s world afterwards. Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children are on him. And because of stuff like Kingdom Hearts, Dissida and AC, Clouds remembered in pop culture as a brooding emo when that wasn't who he was in the original game.

To a lot of people Nomura tainted 7 and Cloud with stuff like that and that's why some condemn him/worry about him directing Remake.

Foffy

Banned
a reimagining by mr. final fantasy vii advent children

great

The reimagining would more likely have you concerned in the gameplay department, not the story.

I'm sure story changes will be made, but the goal of the project - or rather, how they've pitched it - is one where the end result of VIIR will be a richer, more fleshed out FFVII.

The only way they can accomplish this is if the title, considered now to be the next mainline entry and a multiple part project, doesn't fall into development hell or make huge compromises in its multi-release process. That's very concerning, because that's exactly the image Square-Enix has rightfully earned for most of their big in-house IPs.

I imagine I wasn't the only one a bit miffed when they talked about making sequels to Versus and that game wasn't even close to being out the door.

Having finished the game and reading through this thread, I think there's actually a good story hidden in here. Somewhere. Sadly it's in a format of a bunch of pictures thrown up on a bulletin board where the viewer needs to put them in the order that they feel makes the most sense, and 50% of the cards are missing.

The truly tragic part for me is that it was extremely obvious where in the game stuff had been cut. The Leviathan scene was nowhere near as epic as I anticipated given how amazingly well done that city was built up, and, no shock, it has been simplified. Why is the Regalia on the boat and this line not deleted from the script? Aah, there was originally going to be driving around but it was cut. Why are we stopping for this blizzard and walking outside with there not a dungeon here? Aah, it was cut. Where were older Iris and Cindy? Aah, cut. Why does the final zone feel mysteriously familiar? Aah, it was old assets. When does a final boss not have a final form? Aah, it was cut.

Luna. Poor, poor Luna. Stuck in character hell where she was developed so poorly that even more scenes of her got axed because they were too negative. Subsequently we didn't have a chance to form any kind of emotional attachment which makes what she went through even more painful to observe.

Foffy

Banned
I don't doubt the validity of this, but where was it said? Sounds like an interview or press release I must have missed

Kitase or Nomura referred to the remake as the next mainline project for the franchise. It'd make sense, as Hashimoto has stated other projects are on hold because of VII Remake, like a X-3.

KupoNut

The truly tragic part for me is that it was extremely obvious where in the game stuff had been cut. The Leviathan scene was nowhere near as epic as I anticipated given how amazingly well done that city was built up, and, no shock, it has been simplified. Why is the Regalia on the boat and this line not deleted from the script? Aah, there was originally going to be driving around but it was cut. Why are we stopping for this blizzard and walking outside with there not a dungeon here? Aah, it was cut. Where were older Iris and Cindy? Aah, cut. Why does the final zone feel mysteriously familiar? Aah, it was old assets. When does a final boss not have a final form? Aah, it was cut.

You're entirely right here and I pray that they go as far as adding those in with patches.

Sort of. Last year the game story got rewritten because fans kept asking to play as Gladiolus, Ignis and Prompto so they had to insert playable chapters for those characters into the narrative, but since we didn't have time to work on them, the decision to release them as downloads were made from the get go.

tumblr_ohvpxwSwqm1rnjkgko4_1280.png

Top Bottom