• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some guy leaked FFXV's story six months ago | up: newer 4chan stuff as of Dec 9th

AzureFlame

Was l'Cie really meant to be an anagram of Ciel, or was it just a stylized take on the Italian "Luci"(like Lucis, originated from the Latin "Lux"), hinting that within the FNC, the l'Cie ARE those games version of the "Warriors of Light" (sacred warriors CHOSEN by the crystals, which within the FNC, tend to be the fal'Cie).

Don't know about ALL of them. Hate to sound like an old fuck, but they never USED to be wasted potential. They used to be nice, complete experiences that left you satisfied by the games end. I miss that kind of thing.

Exactly, this one left me empty tbh, i barely knew anyone in this beautiful world.

rhandino

Banned
This guy in particular was really convinced it was fake:

Sounds like it is written by someone who holds a grudge against the game. Completely fake and made up.

He can't be from qa because they don't get to play the whole game.

He can't be from marketing because they have no idea of the development history of company, not in this detail.

He can't be a dev because he wouldn't have any idea of the inside politics for SE.

In conclusion, this is a bunch of horse shit so best to ignore it instead of using it to fuel the flames.

;)
jonny_zpsc73391c5.png

TheTux

Nothing from the guy today seemingly.

He's probably another Verendus anyway... he doesn't want to say who he is (obviously) but he says what kind of contract he had, how many months he worked for SE and why he left (contract not renewed by SE). If that were true SE could easily track him down lol.

Zafir

The irritating thing for me about the DLC is just the way that they're presented really. I think it's fair to say they weren't cut out of the game, they were just unfinished bits which they decided could be DLC.

Gladio just randomly goes off with no explanation and you're just like "What?". Ignis goes blind, which is a pretty fucking big deal and how that happened is just totally glossed over. Prompto's wouldn't be so bad if he didn't come back and the game basically goes "Oh by the way, I have one of this bar codes so I'm actually an MT, thought I'd mention that and never talk about it again".

Although it very likely wasn't cut out to nickle and dime you. It sure does feel like that's what they're doing just with how they bring up what feels like important plot points and then instantly drop them with the implication that you need to pay for the DLC to actually see what they're alluding to.

Teletraan1

Banned
I always thought the requests to play as the Bros were along the line of having controllable party members

This right here. I wanted party member switching rather than just being able to just use an ability when a meter filled up to a certain point. Solo missions with them are NOT what I wanted.

CGwizz

Holy shit the story is a fucking mess.

They butchered this game to make a release date didnt they?

That is what we get when dev time is wasted on fucking retarded demos like duscae and platinum demo and japanese demo, 3 fucking demos...

Then they prefer to make a movie instead of making cgi scenes for the fucking game.

Dont know if i believe the OP leak about the suits fucking this up or that this is just Tabata being a shit director.

This game had the potential to be one of the best final fantasys, fuck square.

He's probably another Verendus anyway... he doesn't want to say who he is (obviously) but he says what kind of contract he had, how many months he worked for SE and why he left (contract not renewed by SE). If that were true SE could easily track him down lol.

Maybe they got him!

/s

Holy shit the story is a fucking mess.

They butchered this game to make a release date didnt they?

That is what we get when dev time is wasted on fucking retarded demos like duscae and platinum demo and japanese demo, 3 fucking demos...

Then they prefer to make a movie instead of making cgi scenes for the fucking game.

Dont know if i believe the OP leak about the suits fucking this up or that this is just Tabata being a shit director.

This game had the potential to be one of the best final fantasys, fuck square.

Tabata took a mess and turned it into a critically acclaimed game while building a brand new engine from the ground up in 4 years.

He deserves incredible props for what he did.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Tabata took a mess and turned it into a critically acclaimed game while building a brand new engine from the ground up in 4 years.

That engine is likely not gonna be used for another project ever again, every other big project from SE is using UE4 and are progressing faster than FFXV did. Also critically acclaimed is a bit generous. We're not talking GOTY material here.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

The story and a lot of other aspects of the game are a mess. I don't care who did what in whatever amount of time. The end product is disappointing. I wouldn't give anyone props for FFXV.

jimmypython

can't be completely certain about the authenticity of the leaks

but one absolutely verified and official truth is Business Devision 5 is mass recruiting for a new project started back in March (ALL major dev positions), for people who are not aware of.

It seems the process is still on-going as the webpage is still online: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/recruit/career/group/5bd/

It is highly possible it's not for FFXIV 4.0, as the website also has positions designated for FFXIV.

I also heard Ito is with BD5 now, and that FF12 Zodiac Age is handled by BD5: I need source for these.

FF XVI by Ito, produced by Yoshi-P! Believe!!

Ishida

Banned
That engine is likely not gonna be used for another project ever again, every other big project from SE is using UE4 and are progressing faster than FFXV did. Also critically acclaimed is a bit generous. We're not talking GOTY material here.

Speak for yourself.

Also, the fact that a game may not be "GOTY material" does not mean it wasn't critically acclaimed. This game was critically acclaimed, whether some people like that or not.

but one absolutely varied and official truth is Business Devision 5 is mass recruiting for a new project started back in March (ALL major dev positions), for people who are not aware of.

It seems the process is still on-going as the webpage is still online: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/recruit/career/group/5bd/

It is highly possible it's not for FFXIV 4.0, as the website also has positions designated for FFXIV.

I also heard Ito is with BD5 now, and that FF12 Zodiac Age is handled by BD5: I need source for these.

Man how many Business Divisions are there and how do you keep track of who's doing what? Sometimes I wish they had distinct group names but oh well. I wonder what this could be.

Soriku

I feel like the story is really small scale. I'm on chapter 13 I don't know anything about the empire and the world feels poorly developed. And at times I feel like the empire is...just Ardyn. I was expecting multiple major villains but they're basically nonexistent. And Glauca was just a movie villain.

Feels like a short spinoff story, not one I expect from a major JRPG.

I know some people like to hate on Tales games but I feel those usually nail the world and background at least, just to make a comparison to another series. Or a game like Trails of Cold Steel 1+2.

Tabatas team will use the engine again, there are aspects of XV that exceed even witcher 3.

And i dont know what basis you are using saying that squares other games are progressing faster. XV is a real video game and we dont even have release years for 7 remake or Kh3.

Tabatas team will use the engine again, there are aspects of XV that exceed even witcher 3.

And i dont know what basis you are using saying that squares other games are progressing faster. XV is a real video game and we dont even have release years for 7 remake or Kh3.

Also, Remi Driancourt, the former Chief Technical Director of that engine, said they will use the engine again.

Asd202

Yeah KH3 at this point is in development longer than XV was. If it will release next year we are looking at 4-5 year development time. That's huge.

FF7R at this point is over a year without any updates and what we saw was bearly playable.

SoraNoKuni

Reading this after watching older XV(Versus XIII) trailers really saddens me.
Versus XIII could potentially be my favorite game of all time but the end result was a really mediocre game that I hold no value of.

Subbed for more, I like pain.

Pygrus

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Some of the things we know and love about Nier and its connection to Drakengard are from Grimoire Nier, a companion book that was never officially translated to english.

No one seems to have an issue with that.

At least Cosmogony is part of the actual game.

That would be awesome!

It's not a good story, but you can follow it just fine. It makes sense in the narrative flow.

When I hear people talking about super convoluted and nonsencial stories, I think of being unable to even understand what's happening. Being able to follow everything but thinking it's garbage is a different issue. Or at least that's the way I see it.

But what about the history of Eos? You're not around when Bahamut comes to Tenebrae and chooses his Oracle. You're not around when Insomnia closes itself inside its walls 30 years ago, and the rest of Lucis gets cut off from technology. You're not in Tenebrae when Luna is talking to the press, so you listen to it on the radio. There's no reason why people would come to you and give convoluted explanations about that world, so Nocits only hears it if you want to hear it, through optional stuff.

Souls games also have the current time plot, in Dark Souls it's link the flame and succeed Lord Gwyn, in Bloodborne it's halt the spreading scourge of beasts to escape this nightmare. In FFXV it's Reclaim Your Throne.

I don't think FFXV is nearly as good as Bloodborne, but I also think there are similarities. And I don't think they're just accidents, with the way they're paced. There's a very obvious lack of direct, mandatory storytelling concerning events that Noctis isn't a part of. We see the story through his eyes, so we only read and hear about things when Noct isn't there, with a few exceptions.

I'll say it again in case it's not yet clear: I don't think it succeeded completely, and I think there should be more cutscenes, including off-screen events that Noctis isn't a part of, but it seems like a conscious decision to me. At least when it comes to the larger lore of Eos.

For the main character-driven story? For sure, any similarities comes from issues with the narrative. I agree.

But all the similarities for world building seem very conscious. I immediately thought of Souls too when I first started to explore the lore through the game, but didn't mention it before because Souls is pretty much all I play these days, so I just shrugged it off as "what else would I compare it to?"

Because people aren't willing to look at things objectively when comparing things they hate to something they love.

This game has a lot in common with the story telling mechanics of a Soul game. It's a big reason why the story is bearable. Lots of small details that are fleshed in the background that people could miss out on.

jimmypython

Man how many Business Divisions are there and how do you keep track of who's doing what? Sometimes I wish they had distinct group names but oh well. I wonder what this could be.

i believe the only relevant ones (to FF games) are BDs 1 to 5.

BD 1~4 originate from the original product development division 1
BD 5 is a merge of the original product development division 3 (MMOs) and 4 (FF12).

Breakdown for the frontmen and current/recent projects
BD1 Kitase. FF7Remake, MFF
BD2 Tabata. FFXV
BD3 Hashimoto. World of FF, KH games
BD4 Ichiro Hazama. Side projects to the main BD1~3 products, Dissida/FF7 G-bike etc.

BD5 Yoshi-P. FF11 (and the smart phone version), FF14, Dragon Quest Builders (!!)

Neiteio

FFXV reviewed very well, so it was indeed critically acclaimed. There are plenty of reviews citing excellent combat and dungeon design, loveable characters, a well-realized world, an authentic-feeling journey with a great sense of adventure, amazing art direction and music, tons of content, etc. Tabata and company worked miracles here. And whether SE uses the engine again takes away nothing from his team's accomplishment.

FFXV reviewed very well, so it was indeed critically acclaimed. There are plenty of reviews citing excellent combat and dungeon design, loveable characters, a well-realized world, an authentic-feeling journey with a great sense of adventure, amazing art direction and music, tons of content, etc. Tabata and company worked miracles here. And whether SE uses the engine again takes away nothing from his team's accomplishment.

Pretty easy to get above average reviews when the first half of the game is pretty good.

Ray Down

Banned
Don't know if I posted this but the idea behind the multiplayer is this according to the leaker:

I think one of the concepts behind the multiplayer was a scoring system based on exploring dungeons or killing enemies with multiple people.

Slater

Banned

but one absolutely verified and official truth is Business Devision 5 is mass recruiting for a new project started back in March (ALL major dev positions), for people who are not aware of.

Ask Kagari, no guarantees but she obviously watched BD5 closely, If Ito was there she would know.

Isotropy

Well this is a tasty little morsel. Hopefully there's some truth to it. I was wondering why BD4 would have been drained with Ito now in BD5 (assuming this rumour is correct) and for BD4 to now only be making spinoffs. Then again my understanding of Square's whole structure is probably way off..

But isn't it true that a lot of FFXIV's staff are from the FFXII team? If so, it would make sense for what remained of BD4 to eventually be decanted into BD5. Sure would be cool for XIV's amazing concept artists to get to work on XVI. Again, assuming any truth to any of this.

jimmypython

Well this is a tasty little morsel. Hopefully there's some truth to it. I was wondering why BD4 would have been drained with Ito now in BD5 (assuming this rumour is correct) and for BD4 to now only be making spinoffs. Then again my understanding of Square's whole structure is probably way off..

But isn't it true that a lot of FFXIV's staff are from the FFXII team? If so, it would make sense for what remained of BD4 to eventually be decanted into BD5. Sure would be cool for XIV's amazing concept artists to get to work on XVI. Again, assuming any truth to any of this.

exactly. So FF12 zodiac age being handled by BD5 sounds plausible.

Ito is listed as superior on the official website for the game. So if the rumour is true then Ito is indeed at BD5.

It's interesting to read this thread. Everyone is now in the "XV is irredeemable camp" with some exceptions. Oh well, guess Versus will never die haha. But that's okay. I was really hoping that maybe the leaker would have some artwork or at least something else for more info but it looks like he isn't that high up. Dang.

I'm still thinking of waiting until there are more patches done to the game before I get started on XV (also cause Shantae has captured my attention right now) but I really don't think it's the failure that people are claiming here. Ah well.

Philippo

If this is real, i guess the conceptual phase is already over and they are entering pre-production?
Again if this is true, i hope for a FFXVI in 2019.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Yea there really aren't as by all accounts and following the development of both titles, CD Projekt had WAY less trouble with the engine than the devs of FFXV, and are actively using it for their next title, meanwhile, many of Square's projects switched to 3rd party after not one, not two, but three botched in-house engine attempts for the FF series. Leading to a game that could be described as visually inconsistent. Could almost guarantee that KH3 and FF7R won't face anyway near the same development issues.

A well realized world would be overstating the game's accomplishments, the second half especially since most of it's on a train. The characters too are incredibly archetypical and actually quite forgettable but hey at least the story isn't comically convoluted, (who the fuck is gonna remember Jared or was legitimately saddened by his death), maybe because large segments of it are missing, they worked miracles by finishing this project with a terribad toolset and you can see where they said "fuck it just has to release." Literally story cutscenes are being patched into the game and the dlc consists of focusing on the points where characters conveniently leave and have pertinent stuff happen offscreen that gets hand waved as soon as they come back, that's how much content was cut.

sappyday

It's interesting to read this thread. Everyone is now in the "XV is irredeemable camp" with some exceptions. Oh well, guess Versus will never die haha. But that's okay. I was really hoping that maybe the leaker would have some artwork or at least something else for more info but it looks like he isn't that high up. Dang.

I'm still thinking of waiting until there are more patches done to the game before I get started on XV (also cause Shantae has captured my attention right now) but I really don't think it's the failure that people are claiming here. Ah well.
The game is still pretty good. There's just two things hurting it imo. 1) A well told story 2) A second open world

The first one is obvious but some might be against the second one. It's just that while the open world is big and beautiful, it lacks variety and it actually makes the world feel smaller. This is cause you only explore one continent and so you never feel like you're exploring the actual world which is what I like FF games. It also hurts that we never really got that progression of realism to Fantasy like Tabata said.

Nah, not a failure at all. Not by a long shot.

If you hate the game, reading the leaks (which aren't verified) by the way will only increase your frustration that there existed some magical version that was perfect.

The game is fine as it is and plenty of people appear to like it more than enough to place in their top 5 FFs, which is something that not many can say for FFXIII.

Zafir

It depends on how you look at it. I think the main area people are complaining about is story. The open world is still fun enough for the game (even if again the side quest story leaves a lot to be desired). For some that was even still enough to make it their GOTY (not for me, but *shrug*).

Story wise, I feel like for them to fix the issues with it, it would require a lot more work than I'm expecting them to put into the patches. The second half of the game in general needs more fleshing out, which they've said they're going to do. They've only mentioned cutscenes though, which means the second half of the game is still going to be really light on gameplay.

People can argue, but you can still go back to the open world... That's not excusing it frankly. By that point I'd already done 95% of side quests and was getting a bit sick of the same area honestly.

Actually, I believe it's current overall review score puts it in the "generally positive" field, not critically acclaimed.
Well then it is still a damn fine score considering the original FFXIV: ARR received 83 score and then Heavensward (3.0) received 86 score.

'generally positive' score applies to all <90 games while >90 games get 'Universal Critical Acclaim' on meta.

Adaren

Not surprised that there was originally a different final boss fight. Current one was unbelievably anticlimactic.

I hope they patch in older Cindy. Was very disappointed to find that she wasn't actually at Hammerhead.

I'm not sure why they would remove Ardyn's final form from the game, unless the leaker means they scrapped it before he was even modelled due to time constraints.

Manu

Not surprised that there was originally a different final boss fight. Current one was unbelievably anticlimactic.

I hope they patch in older Cindy. Was very disappointed to find that she wasn't actually at Hammerhead.

They'd probably pull a pregnant Lulu on it.

Er, YOU'RE not. But, others are, right? I mean, it's Easy Allies runner-up for GOTY. I've seen it included on several GOTY lists. It's my personal GOTY. Destiny has a 76 meta (ugh, numbered reviews are so dumb), and I know MANY people who consider game of the GENERATION.

GOTY status is completely, 100% opinion-based.

Speak for yourself.

Also, the fact that a game may not be "GOTY material" does not mean it wasn't critically acclaimed. This game was critically acclaimed, whether some people like that or not.

Thing is, when you peer outside the echo chamber of GAF, it's being better received by the FF fanbase than many other games in the series.

The simple truth: we live in a time where reviewers are FAAAAR harsher than 7th gen, where 10s were thrown out like candy. This is good. 8s are ACTUALLY considered a great score again. I know a few reviewers for the bigger sites personally. Did you know every single one of them hates.....HATES.....the number system. Hates. They're forced to do these things because we, the fanbase, put faaaaaaaar too much stock in them, and not an explanation of why that person did/did not like that game.

Moral of the story is: we live in a time where anything 8 or above is a GREAT score, as it SHOULD be. One day, maybe numbers will go away completely and we can focus once more on what matters.

Diablos

If the latest 4chan leaks are true I'm pretty disappointed that so much had to get scrapped.

We basically have, what, a third of what they set out to do?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I didn't comment on the rumors originally cause i don't take much significance in unverified 4ch posts without any sort of validation, so yeah i don't believe them.

But for what its worth, i think the Versus summary seemed pretty interesting as a concept.

If somebody just made that kind of concept up and posted it online, they are pretty creative. Its almost like a dark final fantasy ish version of the movie 'a beautiful mind' which is also one of my favorite movies of all time.

As for the FF15 stuff, eh, i don't think the leaker was very creative. Luna being abused? But we already knew that from the dawn trailer. It seems like they could have made it up just like Verendus with a bunch of convenient riffing on established info, like the 'city of death' theme we already knew about years ago.

iHaunter

It was the best game of the year for me...

Even with that mess of a story.

Top Bottom