• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody call VH1: "The Fine Bros" are trying to trademark "reaction videos"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The sheer schadenfreude of this has been so amazing. The constantly ticking down sub counter, people digging up dirt (like their reaction to Ellen DeGeneres doing the same thing and sending their fans to attack her), the only way they can save face is to cancel the trademark, cancel React World, and grovel. Maybe they'll only start doing it when the sponsors start jumping ship.
I don't even get why they started this, they were clearly making good money. Oh right, they can't just have a good chunk of money, they have to have ALL of the money.

By the way, I'm trademarking the word "Believe". Evilore you owe me royalties now.

HariKari

The live counter fascinates me. To think that every five seconds there are half a dozen people sitting at their computers somewhere in the world thinking "Man, fuck these guys" and clicking the unsubscribe button.

The music is pretty entertaining as well.

BatDan

I think what's really surprising is that I'm not seeing a lot of defenses for their actions. You'd think by the law of averages that a channel with over 13 million subscribers would have hoards of people coming out of the woodwork to say they're in the right. But apparently they fucked up so bad that nobody will do it.

Hell, I've seen channels with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less get major defense forces *cough*IrateGamer*cough*.

Anion

Good post from a lawyer here. http://ryanmorrisonlaw.com/attorneys-react-the-fine-bros-react-trademark/ It's even worse than I thought.
On top of REACT, they have also applied for, and have been approved for CELEBRITIES REACT, ADULTS REACT, PARENTS REACT. We will be opposing those as well. They also are applying for DO THEY KNOW IT?, KIDS VS. FOOD, LYRIC BREAKDOWN, PEOPLE V. TECHNOLOGY, and TRY NOT TO SMILE OR LAUGH. While those are all ridiculously generic and descriptive, in my opinion (they hate coming up with original ideas, huh?), we will not be opposing those just yet.

What assholes. Hopefully they get crushed cause what the heck

VhcQGik.gif

Fuckin' saved.

I think what's really surprising is that I'm not seeing a lot of defenses for their actions. You'd think by the law of averages that a channel with over 13 million subscribers would have hoards of people coming out of the woodwork to say they're in the right. But apparently they fucked up so bad that nobody will do it.

Hell, I've seen channels with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less get major defense forces *cough*IrateGamer*cough*.

It's because their first video was so damn transparent. They would've probably gotten more defenders if they came outright and said what they were doing instead of trying to obfuscate. But in todays age, 'reaction' videos are just a part of the internet. It is what it is and these asshats didn't think to leave it alone. Nobody was infringing on their shit, and they still have a shitload of viewers compared to your average joe or jenny who does a reaction video.

Kazaam

This is amazing. I am so happy I discovered this thread! I hope the subscribers number goes as low as possible. Corporate greed advocating creative help and freedom. I hope videos of exact replicas of their videos start with people reacting to the announcement and the backtracking. Use similar logos and music and everything and you should be protected behind the first amendment as satire

BatDan

Reading the TVTropes page for this series (because of course there's one) and I found some interesting things. Their YMMV page mentions instances where big companies screw them over, like Miley Cyrus' label because one video had teens say "not-so-nice" things, and Disney took down a video where kids reacted to Frozen's Let It Go.

Kind of hypocritical that they become part of the very system they fought against before.

border

I guess I just needed Google to find them:

Hitler Reacts to the Fine Brothers React Trademark
Hitler Reacts to the Fine Brothers
Hitler Reacts to Fine Brothers Copyrighting the Word React

"That is like me copyrighting Geoncide - I will copyright genocide and then sue all who violate my copyright!"

"Perhaps I have just been reacting to stuff for too long - I should have had this idea in 2007!"

The first and third videos are best. The second one has an anti-Semitic slant that is appropriate given that it's a Hitler video, but it's a little comfortable because of that. The third video breaks the 4th wall in some really amusing ways.

FyreWulff

The live counter fascinates me. To think that every five seconds there are half a dozen people sitting at their computers somewhere in the world thinking "Man, fuck these guys" and clicking the unsubscribe button.

And the fact that enough people are doing this to counteract their up-to-this-point 10k per day gain

Bulzeeb

I wonder if the countdown has something to do more than an outrage for this stuff, I mean, I bet there are some people out there unsuscribing only to help the number to go lower.

PsychBat!

Banned
I wonder if the countdown has something to do more than an outrage for this stuff, I mean, I bet there are some people out there unsuscribing only to help the number to go lower.

You know I just thought this as well. I almost began to feel sorry for them but then I think about this stunt they pulled and their reaction videos with teen actors/models and I just don't give a damn about them anymore.

farisr

Some? Sure. But I think the majority probably aren't.
I'm trying to reconcile the type of person who would subscribe to this channel in the first place also caring enough about this fuckery to unsubscribe.
I love reaction videos and generally like at least 1 of their videos a week. I was subscribed. I even posted a thread over here for one of their videos. I unsubscribed as soon as I saw the react world video.

It's not that hard to think about, a person who watches them and subscribes to them would in general like other reaction videos and would sub to other channels as well. This has potential to effect other folks output of reaction videos and a person would not necessarily want everything to become homogenized and fine bros react-series like, hence unsubscribes.

I wonder how many people actually thought, "wow, this is great, I don't care about them taking a cut and promotion from a channel that big would be awesome."

Some guy out there starting up his own reaction empire as we speak, and who knows, maybe once this is all over it'll end up working. They'll feature him, he'll get a bunch of subs.

Echonov

Neo Member
It's pretty amazing that the internet response is just like the original response for their React videos. "Beyond our wildest imaginations". Except in reverse.

I watched a few Kids/Teens react vids a long time ago and I subbed then, but ever since they started expanding to elders, youtubers, etc., it turned me off. Plus overall it just felt a little fake. The kids and teens who reacted started to get a little full of themselves.
Why are sw yoon's Korean girl vids so much more entertaining?

Choice quote from Filmcow's response:

People would travel from around the world to see your act: The Amazing Fine Bros. who have managed to shove their heads a literal light year up their own asses!

TheYanger

I'm trying to reconcile the type of person who would subscribe to the channel in the first place also caring enough about this fuckery to unsubscribe.

Because while it's fun to bitch about, they DO make good reaction videos and are basically the standard in them. They're good videos. But not gonna support this garbage. Is it really that confusing? Or are you just being hip here assuming nobody can enjoy them?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm trying to reconcile the type of person who would subscribe to the channel in the first place also caring enough about this fuckery to unsubscribe.

Oh please... the "type" of person you said.

They made harmless, entertaining videos and I do enjoy many of the personalities featured in their React videos (like Rock in the Elder series, love that guy, hahaha), so I subscribed to them, but I was totally blind-sided by this announcement of theirs and thus I unsubscribed.

Sigmund Freud level of psychoanalysis is not exactly required for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom