• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody call VH1: "The Fine Bros" are trying to trademark "reaction videos"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me about it. Not a great reaction, on their part.

yjp0z.png

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Someone should get Ellen in on this.

Loxley

I just watched their video where they try to clarify things. For the first, oh, 15 seconds, it comes off like they're really blaming themselves for failing to communicate their intentions and message. Then it quickly spirals into a tone where they sound genuinely annoyed that people are too stupid to figure out what they "actually" meant to say.

Maximo

I just watched their video where they try to clarify things. For the first, oh, 15 seconds, it comes off like they're really blaming themselves for failing to communicate their intentions and message. Then it quickly spirals into a tone where they sound genuinely annoyed that people are too stupid to figure out what they "actually" meant to say.

Reminds me of Microsoft during the Xbox One launch.

Haven't watched the video, but given the number of intense reactions in here based on incorrect information and using entirely different legal terms, I'd say that people are misinformed. Not stupid, but the messaging certainly didn't get across what they're doing.

Izuna

Banned
Haven't watched the video, but given the number of intense reactions in here based on incorrect information and using entirely different legal terms, I'd say that people are misinformed. Not stupid, but the messaging certainly didn't get across what they're doing.

Boogie's video is probably the most informative.

The problem is that they HAVE caused trouble to Ellen DeGeneres before, who just simply did a reaction video.

Coldsun

Banned

Are some people confusing the terms? Absolutely. Does that matter? No. The fact is the Fine Brothers are manually flagging other react videos for infringement. Peoples reactions are based on the Fine Brothers actively and consciously destroying other people from making any type of 'react' video.

Boogie's video is probably the most informative.

The problem is that they HAVE caused trouble to Ellen DeGeneres before, who just simply did a reaction video.

And we can infer from that they probably want to use the broader definition of 'react' to take down videos that are simply reaction videos. After all, Youtube tends to comply for the stupidest reasons. Sure it wouldn't hold up in court, but in the court of Youtube only corporations have the power.

All they have to do is show Youtube 'Hey we own this trademark' and bam, that's it.

Are some people confusing the terms? Absolutely. Does that matter? No. The fact is the Fine Brothers are manually flagging other react videos for infringement. Peoples reactions are based on the Fine Brothers actively and consciously destroying other people from making any type of 'react' video.

Is there a reddit list of video titles that have been taken down? I'd like to see. I think I'm going to blog about this soon.

jerry113

Banned
im 25 years old and i've never heard of these people.

That said, they sound condescending as hell so it sounds like a good thing they're going down.

213372bu

Banned
It's also worth noting who is taking down the videos.

If you want a more accurate representation of their MCN taking down videos, see Fullscreen and how they take down videos or take demonetization from videos with fair use.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Can we ban threads about their videos now?

I just heard about this. I watched their update video expecting to have sympathy for them, but their tone and attitude made me dislike them even more. Do they really think they own reaction videos? They weren't even the first ones to do it.

Yeah the explanation video was just worst. You could tell they did it with little time to script or without though for much editing but in hopes to get it out ASAP to try and stop the fire.

They fucked up though. Instead of looking like they got little sleep and were desperate to get their point across the video came off as them basically calling everybody an idiot for not getting what they're trying to do.

While probably a majority doesn't get it, enough people do. And it still is shitty.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193836308&postcount=600

There may be more, haven't checked actively since reading that post earlier.

Seems like the three creators in that post are using the "something reacts to" trademark, or something confusingly similar. Assuming the trademark is valid, I guess that's the right thing to do from the perspective of Fullscreen.

Looking up fair use is the wrong thing to do in that one video. Especially when he admits to having committed to copyright infringement of someone's music.

What's happening here is that people on YouTube are starting to feel the effects of the law that mainstream entertainment industry creators have had to deal with for a long time. Again, that's contingent on the trademarks being valid, which I don't think they all are. Let's see how the Ryan Morrison thing goes opposing them. It ain't cheap, though.

Also, I work with the lawyer who I believe was instrumental in getting the USPTO to reject Sony's Let's Play trademark the 2nd (and probably final) time. I helped write the blog post announcing it! So don't accuse me of being some kind of blanket corporate shill. I know some of you want to :)

Cyan

Banned
Seems like the three creators in that post are using the "something reacts to" trademark, or something confusingly similar. Assuming the trademark is valid, I guess that's the right thing to do from the perspective of Fullscreen.

Looking up fair use is the wrong thing to do in that one video. Especially when he admits to having committed to copyright infringement of someone's music.

What's happening here is that people on YouTube are starting to feel the effects of the law that mainstream entertainment industry creators have had to deal with for a long time. Again, that's contingent on the trademarks being valid, which I don't think they all are. Let's see how the Ryan Morrison thing goes opposing them. It ain't cheap, though.

Also, I work with the lawyer who I believe was instrumental in getting the USPTO to reject Sony's Let's Play trademark the 2nd (and probably final) time. I helped write the blog post announcing it! So don't accuse me of being some kind of blanket corporate shill. I know some of you want to :)

Well, there are multiple things going on. First is the franchising thing, which, whatever, they can license out their logos and so on if they want. Second is the trademarking thing, which leaving aside the issue of overreach given how long reaction videos have been a thing, might not in itself be a major problem if we didn't already have reason to suspect it's going to be abused.

Third, and worst, is the "format" thing. We don't know exactly what they consider their format--the most they give us is telling us to watch one of their reaction videos and it'll be obvious. So we're left to guess. We've seen from their past behavior that they consider something like Ellen's segment or the Buzzfeed video to be very similar to their shows (I've watched both, and the main similarity is the generic idea--multiple people from a particular group being shown something and describing their responses to it, with cuts between the interviewees). Obviously their twitter calls to arms don't mean anything legally, but it's strongly suggestive of their mindset and what they will try to do--they feel that they own the generic idea, not just their branding. In combination with the first two things, it's not pretty. Put all together, it looks to me as though they'll pressure smaller channels that run similar content to come under their banner, using their newly-acquired trademarks and Youtube's overeagerness to take things down as a blunt instrument. They don't even have to actually take down channels as long as they have the implied threat at their disposal.

Is that definitely what's going to happen? Am I perhaps being unfair here? Maybe. On the other hand, looking at the Seniors React thing, it kind of looks like they've already done something like that.

There's also all kinds of tertiary stuff around, like, the irony of them being so uptight about content when their whole model depends entirely on using other people's content, or them deleting comments, or just generally coming off as sleazy jerks, but that's less important. It wouldn't be a big deal if not for the above problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom