• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somebody call VH1: "The Fine Bros" are trying to trademark "reaction videos"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, this thread got long. Is there a place I can catch up on this?

I've seen the original video after watching the Mega64 parody. Hilarious.

I wanted to watch 'the apology' video but it's been removed. Any way to still see that?

Also, any other great must see parodies or criticism videos?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
VhcQGik.gif
Really liked the Samsung branding. :p

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Really? I don't see it. Was it an actual message/paragraph?

It's off the front page now but there were a couple sentences of commentary by Youtube just above the video title in small type (like there are for one or two right now) and it was pretty negative.

Dead Man

We won? Wow, really did not expect that. I do expect other people to try it on, and these jokers to try something similar again. Oh well, nice to see bullshit lose for once :)

All their videos related to React World has been deleted.
Hope somebody saved them and uses them like an expample of "this is what you don't want to do on the internet".

Calcium

Banned
They really have no sense of PR it's insane, they are issuing a written apology on the internet after publishing 2 horrendous videos.

They pretty much had to. Their update video already became a meme and fueled the fire of subscriptions and dislikes. Posting another video letting the internet see how broken and depressed they are at this point would only add to that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

How the fuck can you say

The reality that trademarks like these could be used to theoretically give companies (including ours) the power to police and control online video is a valid concern, and though we can assert our intentions are pure, there’s no way to prove them.

3. Release all past Content ID claims.**
*This includes “React,” “Kids React,” “Elders React,” “Lyric Breakdown,” etc. Please note: It takes a while for the databases to update, but the necessary paperwork has been filed.

Lying in their apology :lol

oti

Banned
I only ever watched their stuff when it was linked to NeoGAF, usually on the gaming side as I enjoyed the occasional 'teens react to [nostalgia game/gaming music]'

Me too but the only video I genuinely liked was the TLoU one.
I don't care about kids holding a Game Boy going like "IZ THIZ A IPHONE CEHS GUYZ?".

Pifje

They really have no sense of PR it's insane, they are issuing a written apology on the internet after publishing 2 horrendous videos.

I mean, who cares? I've could've written it, my little sister could have written it, it has no impact whatsoever.
You don't get to act like douchebags and then write 20 lines saying "o btw sry lol xoxo".

I think they have an excellent sense of PR.

Reminding about the incident with another apology video on a channel where you make your money would just cause more negativity. They want to sweep this all under the carpet, and this is the best option to it in addition to deleting both of those React World and update videos.

MicH

Well, they got one thing right. A community was firnsd. A community trying to take them down.

Good on them for finally backing down

Fbh

Good news.

I hope they don't get their subs back.
This whole react world thing was a bad idea from the start but the other info posted here since like how they reacted™ to that Ellen and Buzzfeed videos has made me really dislike them.

They might no longer try to go for it legally but these guys seriously belive they own and are to be credited for videos of people watching and reacting to things. That's both really arrogant and really stupid

They've lost +300,000 subs by now. Hope it goes to 500k and their videos become less and less popular, they lose lots of money and go to YouTube hell in a year or so

RiverBed

Banned
From their youtube "About" page they wrote themselves:
Fine Brothers Entertainment is a new kind of entertainment company that has pioneered the digital revolution for over a decade. A hybrid network and award winning content studio, we are hyper focused on creating and distributing innovative programming...
Laughing-Tom-Cruise-Gif-15.gif

cDNA

Don't forget their video on the girl suicide note Amanda Todd. All these tragedy videos were monetised.

And? If any TV show be Ellen, The View discussed the same topics they will monetize it too by having commercials. Why Youtube have to follow other rules, even News channels like CNN monetize tragedies that are occurring live. Usually the only not monetized events are charitable events.

And? If any TV show be Ellen, The View discussed the same topics they will monetize it too by having commercials. Why Youtube have to follow other rules, even News channels like CNN monetize tragedies that are occurring live. Usually the only not monetized events are charitable events.
They're different models. Youtubers have the choice to monetise or not specific videos.

And news channels get plenty of criticism for the way they make bank from milking national tragedies for all the days they go for and how insensitive it can all get. The whole media circus is toxic.

The popular explanation is that Fine Bros do entertainment, and the rest of the shows are news. People probably tune in to shows like Ellen or The View to get news about what's going on in the world that day/week, and people absolutely tune into places like CNN to get the news since that's like the explicit reason CNN exists: to bring people the news. People don't tune in to Kids React for the news or videos about mass shootings and suicides. Also, as others have said, if they had to monetize the videos (which they didn't have to, they could have really, really easily not) then why didn't they donate the money to a charity or suicide shelter or something?

cntr

Banned
For what it's worth, I think for-profit news just makes low quality news. Profit news absolutely takes advantage of calamity to get money. It's not for no reason the BBC and NPR have been regarded as sources of good news for so long.

cDNA

The popular explanation is that Fine Bros do entertainment, and the rest of the shows are news. People probably tune in to shows like Ellen or The View to get news about what's going on in the world that day/week, and people absolutely tune into places like CNN to get the news since that's like the explicit reason CNN exists: to bring people the news. People don't tune in to Kids React for the news or videos about mass shootings and suicides. Also, as others have said, if they had to monetize the videos (which they didn't have to, they could have really, really easily not) then why didn't they donate the money to a charity or suicide shelter or something?

Ellen and The View are entertainment shows. Second you are assuming the don't incur in any cost to make the videos. They could choose not to make videos about of tragedies, but if they make it the videos still have a cost to produce.

Ellen and The View are entertainment shows. Second you are assuming the don't incur in any cost to make the videos. They could choose not to make videos about of tragedies, but if they make it the videos still have a cost to produce.

They make enough money from their other videos to not need to monetize videos of children reacting to tragedies, christ.

I agree that the likes of Ellen and The View are entertainment shows. However a huge demographic of people that watch things like The View, Ellen, Tonight Show, the Late Show, etc are tuning in for the little bites of news from the monologues at the start of the show. I don't think a single person on the planet has ever felt the need to load up a Kids React video to get their daily news bites. They watch those videos for entertainment purely.

Also Ellen doesn't go "Hey there was a shooting let's talk to people while a bunch of ads cover the screen." they'll bring on someone affected by the tragedy and interview them and then give them some kind of gift or donation or something. "It really was a horrible tragedy so we're gonna donate $10,000 in your name to the charity of your choice." Did Kids React do anything remotely similar? No, they for whatever fucked up reason thought "Hey, you know what would make a good reaction video? Teens reacting to a school shooting" and then they uploaded it and ticked the box to monetize it.

When Ellen or the hosts of The View talk about a national tragedy they aren't profiting directly off that tragedy, they already have a show with ad time bought and they're gonna talk about whatever is happening that day. The Fine Brothers are. They have to set up and cast and shoot and edit and upload a video specifically of that tragedy. That's the difference and it's disgusting and wrong.

rec0ded1

Was this posted yet?
Throwaway Reddit account that is supposedly confirmed by a mod to be an ex employee spills the beans on how they came up with react.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43720k/cr1tikal_reacting_to_the_finebros_announcement/czg760q

No way to know for sure but it looks like the finebros try to trick the person into meeting. I think it might be them by the way they slip in some NDA talk. It reminds me of their tone in the videos that tried to trick everyone.

Hilarious if true.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Was this posted yet?
Throwaway Reddit account that is supposedly confirmed by a mod to be an ex employee spills the beans on how they came up with react.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43720k/cr1tikal_reacting_to_the_finebros_announcement/czg760q

No way to know for sure but it looks like the finebros try to trick the person into meeting. I think it might be them by the way they slip in some NDA talk. It reminds me of their tone in the videos that tried to trick everyone.

Hilarious if true.
[–]AlsoFineThrowAway 17 points 4 days ago
Also a throwaway for reasons.
I've worked for Five or so YouTube companies/channels now and the Fines were one of them. The brothers are... an acquired taste, to put it politely. Would it be weird if I asked if you'd be interested in getting coffee and comparing notes? We can swap confirmation through messages that we are indeed who we say we are.
LOL. Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom