• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces lets you create your own character [Update: Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seik

Banned
You can make your own shitty friend!

Holy shit...I was hyped for Forces, but the more I see/learn about it turns me off a bit.

At least we have Mania down the corner.

Kssio_Aug

What actually got my attention the most wasn't even the character creation. But the gadgets you can use, that seems it could change dramatically how you play it.

K7igOlX.gif

I... what?? I do not know how I feel about this... I just want my classic sonic levels and a mix of modern sonic. I just hope Sega doesn't try to over reach with whatever the hell they are trying to do with this.

Did they really show someone using a flamethrower? Really?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I... what?? I do not know how I feel about this... I just want my classic sonic levels and a mix of modern sonic. I just hope Sega doesn't try to over reach with whatever the hell they are trying to do with this.

Did they really show someone using a flamethrower? Really?

Slightly concerned with this post, just take some slow deep breaths to be sure ok?

I wouldn't be surprised if Sega is planning on "& Knuckles" DLC to allow playing through these levels as Knuckles, plus adding the ability to make an echidna. That would be some bankable DLC.

As long as the level design is as good as Sonic Generations, this game will be pretty good.

No Armadillo, god dammit Sonic Team you had ONE JOB!

Bear or a Bird then, for what it's worth I actually like the idea though it's funny to see the internet fandom become a reality.
In a sense this must be cool as a cucumber for the kids, kids still say that right?

What actually got my attention the most wasn't even the character creation. But the gadgets you can use, that seems it could change dramatically how you play it.

K7igOlX.gif

As covered in the OP, they're 'wispons'; basically weapons with a corresponding ability and wisp usage. In the gameplay footage I posted above, you can see how certain wisp shells are blocked out, and the explosions are presumably available because the character has a flamethrower.

I'm on a bus and don't want to blow all my data watching a YouTube video but what the fuck? This is either the best idea or the worst, I can't decide. The thread showing everyone's creations is going to be a beautiful disaster.

Revven

We've run into the same problem as the early 3D Sonic games though...it's a Sonic the Hedgehog game...why would I want to play as anyone but Sonic?

The complaint hasn't really specifically been "I only want to play as Sonic" but rather it's always been about "I don't want to play this awful alternate gameplay style of collecting shards of the Master Emerald, I want to platform and run through a level!"

Does the gameplay of the created character look that drastically different from the two Sonics? No? Then why would you hate it? It's the same gameplay of platforming and running just that the character has gadgets they can use to platform and attack enemies. You're still running to the right at full speed like Sonic, you're still jumping like Sonic, and you're still going through a whole level.

You're not collecting Master Emerald shards, you're not in a mech and shooting loads of enemies, you're not manipulating physics to solve a puzzle, etc etc. Those drastic gameplay departures is why the "shitty friends" meme even exists.

Ash735

OK, well, OK, interesting take, I like that each style affects how you play the level so even at the most basic, it'll encourage people to try the levels a few times not only to get the fastest time and style BUT to also now find all the different paths and ways to get to them using the different character type abilities.

Still, OK, embracing the weird deviantArt and tumblr audience.

Well, they did it.

I'm actually somewhat disappointed, because given how straight up Unleashed / Gens Modern Sonic looks (and I love those games, but spending this long on a level pack...), I was hoping the third character would be New Sonic with a fresh permanent approach.

On the other hand, it's Sonic the Bionic Commando now (in a way Boom sort of tried but sucked at), so maybe that's alright.

Pizza

Ok yeah cool grappling hook and stuffing aliens into a phaser whatever

But will I be able to jam with Vector and collect music notes in mandatory mini games???

james_the_hedgehog_by_ashley_the_wolf259.jpg

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully Forces pulls a sonic 06 and resets the timeline at the end of the game, while simultaneously erasing the original character from existence.

Caffeine

That's about 350mg of caffeine in the worst case scenario. That would be a lot to someone who isn't very acclimated to caffeine, but shouldn't be lethal. Makes me think he had an undiagnosed condition or something.

caffeine the hedgehog ?

Kssio_Aug

As covered in the OP, they're 'wispons'; basically weapons with a corresponding ability and wisp usage. In the gameplay footage I posted above, you can see how certain wisp shells are blocked out, and the explosions are presumably available because the character has a flamethrower.

Depending on how the execute it, I think it could be pretty cool actually.

Seriously, we need to be able to share our creations with people and to be able to write a bio to their profile. This should be patched in for the sake of the ensuing comedy that will result from it. If we can share these custom character profiles to Facebook and Twitter... Meme city baby.

I'll create intentionally bad characters for laughs.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So I can just pick a bear, don't dress it up in any way and play the new character as Modern Sonic with wisps and whip? I can live with this (though I think costumisation in games in general is interactive cancer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom