• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces - Space Port Gameplay

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I am an enormous Sonic fan. I have been playing Sonic games since I was 10 years old. I made the OT for Sonic Colors when it came out and I still think that game is fucking great

I do not know how anyone can look at what's on display here and say "yeah I'll put down money for that". There are so many good options for platformers these days. This looks ugly, it looks braindead to play, it looks cheap, this is not a product that looks like its worth money. What, exactly, are people seeing in this that they desire?

Ferr986

I am an enormous Sonic fan. I have been playing Sonic games since I was 10 years old. I made the OT for Sonic Colors when it came out and I still think that game is fucking great

I do not know how anyone can look at what's on display here and say "yeah I'll put down money for that". There are so many good options for platformers these days. This looks ugly, it looks braindead to play, it looks cheap, this is not a product that looks like its worth money. What, exactly, are people seeing in this that they desire?

There's people out there that genuinely like Sonic 06. There's people out there that loves the edge, and consider Colors onward shit just because the story is a joke.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
You say this as if the OC and the Classic Sonic playstyles themselves aren't filler gameplay players have to sit through alongside the Boost playstyle. Granted, the former two may still be platformers rather than complete genre shifts; but given how none of the three playstyles look exceptional as it is, that's not really anything worth trumpeting about as an advantage.
I never said any of Forces looks exceptional or great. But when compared to the old 3D Sonic titles, I'll take an overall decent game over one that is half great half shit (or more than half shit in Adv1/2 case).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Meanwhile Hitoshi Miyamoto, who directed Generations, was regulated to the Mario and Sonic games. And none of Generations' designers (who hadn't worked on past games) were brought back for later titles.

Wtf? What happened to them?

Though to be fair, getting rid of the people responsible for the best Sonic game in 15 years sounds like a totally Sega thing that would happen.

Keihart

Damn, that looks kinda like sonic heroes bad. And i have no shame to admit that i like 3d Sonic games like adventure 2 and Generations but this looks lamer everytime they show new footage, what a bummer...

Oh well...Sonic Mania still exist to consider this a good Sonic year...

Damn, that looks kinda like sonic heroes bad. And i have no shame to admit that i like 3d Sonic games like adventure 2 and Generations but this looks lamer everytime they show new footage, what a bummer...

I... I still like Sonic Heroes, for what it is. I've put over 300 hours into it over the past 13+ years.

Guess Who

Banned
I... I still like Sonic Heroes, for what it is. I've put over 300 hours into it over the past 13+ years.

Sonic Heroes has problems - long and repetitive levels, spongey enemies, having to play all four teams to get the true ending, characters that never shut the fuck up - but for the most part it’s alright.

Keihart

When lost worlds was starting to grow on me i got to the snowball stage....what a piece of hot garbage that was.

I’ve pretty much always been of the opinion Sonic has simply been shit since the move to 3D, and after the masterpiece that was Mania, I’m actually kind of sad to look at Forces, the first 3D Sonic I’ve paid attention to since the Dreamcast, and see that it is still, in every way, just shit.

I mean serious, look at this utter bollocks, then look at Mario Odyssey.

What the fuck has happened to this franchise?

That's why I consider Secret Rings as bad as Sonic 2006.

Giving shitty controls to your character and having to "unshit" them with leveling is just a basic example on how not to do a videogame.

Yep, can't agree harder. Like, that's a mechanic you save for a game that's parodying level up systems. Not a non-satirical game.

Yo, Heroes is a pretty alright Sonic. Not the best, but better than Shadow and 06. If everyone would just SHUT UP it'd be a really good game.

Sonic Heroes is 2nd best 3d Sonic game after Sonic Lost World.

Ah hell no!
It's ok. You're entitled to your unpopular opinions, just like me.

Sonic Heroes has problems - long and repetitive levels, spongey enemies, having to play all four teams to get the true ending, characters that never shut the fuck up - but for the most part it’s alright.

Yeah, I'd never say it doesn't have some glaring issues. Another big problem is how glitchy certain elements of the game feel (pinball controls, rail switching, invincibility period after getting hit) but I just find there's so much to love about it. The vibrant, varied levels (wouldn't get another 3D Sonic game with levels this interesting until Sonic Colors) are a real treat and I really liked the team mechanic even if it tends to break the flow. It's cool being able to take control of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles at any point in a level. It was also nice to get a break from the more serious story telling of Sonic games at the time. The story was still entertainingly dumb, thankfully.

Just like Adventure 1 & 2, the game has gotten worse as the years go by but I still enjoy firing it up and playing a few levels every few months.

HF2014

Oh well, fuck it. Pre order cancelled. With Mario, Skyrim and Doom coming out, it will collect dust and probably appear in a bargain bin sooner than expected.

Soodanim

I’ve pretty much always been of the opinion Sonic has simply been shit since the move to 3D, and after the masterpiece that was Mania, I’m actually kind of sad to look at Forces, the first 3D Sonic I’ve paid attention to since the Dreamcast, and see that it is still, in every way, just shit.

I mean serious, look at this utter bollocks, then look at Mario Odyssey.

What the fuck has happened to this franchise?
This is a saddening perspective. At least we had Mania, despite its flaws it was a good, fun classic Sonic. There's no way I'm buying another 3D Sonic at this rate, probably ever. Problem is, I don't know what they could ever do.

exfatal

I cant wait to sit down and enjoy this game when it releases. Looks fun and its cheaper.

this whole thread is pretty depressing to read lol.

This is a saddening perspective. At least we had Mania, despite its flaws it was a good, fun classic Sonic. There's no way I'm buying another 3D Sonic at this rate, probably ever. Problem is, I don't know what they could ever do.

Take a long break to radically rethink 3D Sonic (not that it should just be Utopia or anything, but on that level of reinvention). Unlike Lost World, use the long dev cycle to make sure concepts are fully developed and polished up nicely. The gap between Lost World and Forces seemed to be their chance at this, but for some reason we're waited all this time for a Generations redux with seemingly less interesting environments and level design.

I cant wait to sit down and enjoy this game when it releases. Looks fun and its cheaper.

This is one of the tamest Sonic threads I've been in on here.

Also, don't listen to the people that say you should be ashamed if you want to play this game or whatever. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and hey, I've bought much worse Sonic games. I'm still up for it even if I'm pretty skeptical.

shiyrley

Banned
R4zuyJJ.png

A5E12Ez.png

Aw man, I've been pretty hyped for Sonic this year but this level has me a little worried. Where's the challenge in the level? Seems really barebones.

Ristifer

Even though I don't like how this looks at all, if you like it, and I know plenty of people love Modern Sonic, then enjoy it!

Jagsrock

Banned
It looks fine to me, if anything the constant switch to 2d during the 3d levels is whats killing it. I like what i'm seeing out of the 3D sections, but I think the zoomed out 2d sections take away from the action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt0CV3Tmb3s
another vid,( you can see the UI and Character chatter) I do agree their is a Vibrancy that's missing But I think the Character chatter kinda helps liven up the game and overall it still looks fun to me.
Music on the modern stages is exactly what i want lol.

Hey you ain’t alone brother, between this game an Odyssey, I’ll be one happy camper this fall. I’ve been pretty happy with Colors, Unleashed and Generations, and this game looks to land in that zone of quality. The outrage this game has suddenly funneled comes off as amusing to me considering it’s largely similar to the aforementioned titles. I concede the visuals don’t seem as cutting edge as we’re used to for a Sonic game, but it comes at the trade-off of smooth 60-fps gameplay which I’ll gladly take.

Anyway, it’s patently obvious to see posters who are simply band-wagon hating on this title and haven’t touched a 3D Sonic game since SA1, and those who have kept up with the franchise. I just hope these attention seekers get it all out of their system and leave the OT relatively toxicity-free for those of us actually playing the game.

Mr-Joker

Banned
How does Generations, a last gen game, look better than this?

Developed on a shoe string budget, which is not a good thing for a game that stars your iconic company mascot.

WHOS GONNA ROCK THE PLACE

I really hate that song, though not as much as the Knuckles rap now that gave me headache.

No, you can’t be serious. Sonic Heroes is literally the beginning of bad Sonic games.

Playing as Team Sonic is actually pretty fun, it just playing the same levels as the other teams that isn't fun, along with the levels being a tad bit too long, weak boss fights, switching grind rails being wonky weak and the flying characters being slow and not fun to play as.

Plus it was fun watching Knuckles get beat up, fall in the water or kidnapped.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Hey you ain’t alone brother, between this game an Odyssey, I’ll be one happy camper this fall. I’ve been pretty happy with Colors, Unleashed and Generations, and this game looks to land in that zone of quality. The outrage this game has suddenly funneled comes off as amusing to me considering it’s largely similar to the aforementioned titles. I concede the visuals don’t seem as cutting edge as we’re used to for a Sonic game, but it comes at the trade-off of smooth 60-fps gameplay which I’ll gladly take.

Anyway, it’s patently obvious to see posters who are simply band-wagon hating on this title and haven’t touched a 3D Sonic game since SA1, and those who have kept up with the franchise. I just hope these attention seekers get it all out of their system and leave the OT relatively toxicity-free for those of us actually playing the game.

Honestly, I still have the game pre-ordered and I still keeping it but I am going into this with the expectation that it be a mediocre Sonic game that isn't of the same level as Generation or Colours but no-where as bad as Lost Worlds or riddled with bugs like 06 and boom.

I am also expecting the story but be stupid but light hearted stupid and not edgy serous stupid like Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, with the Sonics gameplay being the stronger point of the game and the Avatar being my least favorite part of the game and something that I will never touch again after collecting the red rings...assuming that they unlock something Super Sonic as none of Morio's Sonic games had a final Super Sonic boss fight.

No, you can’t be serious. Sonic Heroes is literally the beginning of bad Sonic games.
It’s funny reading reviews at the time for that game.

They all come down to “this is good... right?”

No one was quite ready to believe yet that Sonic had taken such a nose dive in quality.

SoulUnison

Banned
The custom character looks like Jet the Hawk's malformed little brother.

You'd think they'd try to not skew so closely to an existing character.

Yukinari

If someone wants to enjoy Sonic Heroes for one playthrough, like team sonic or team rose, then sure Heroes is pretty fun.

Playing all 4 stories? Its garbage. Some levels can go on for 15 or 20 minutes which was a problem in Lost World 3DS.

flashman92

Neo Member
So just to confirm, the customization is just preset models with minor appendage options and accessory customization, right?

Probably nothing like sliders or anything like that

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm pretty tolerant of a lot of the 3D Sonic games, but this one just looks so.... bland

The asset reuse is just so obvious and uninspired.
The "Classic Sonic" levels look like they were made with a really weak "Level Editor" tool, or in the Debug Mode of the Genesis games.

It's like... Sonic Forces |OT| Sonic (Procedural) Generations.

If someone wants to enjoy Sonic Heroes for one playthrough, like team sonic or team rose, then sure Heroes is pretty fun.

Playing all 4 stories? Its garbage. Some levels can go on for 15 or 20 minutes which was a problem in Lost World 3DS.

Comparing Sonic Heroes to Lost World 3DS is harsh.

Almost every 3D Sonic is a masterpiece compared to Lost World 3DS

Guess Who

Banned

I would agree with this.

At some point Sonic Team got it in their heads that they need to pad their game length out as long as possible. They’ve settled down on this somewhat, but everything up through Unleashed really suffered from a misguided notion that the game had to be long. Unleashed in particular was dragged from a solid 8/10 game to a 6/10 purely from padding, which is a god damn tragedy.

You know what? Fuck open world. I'm so sick and tired of people trying to make every game an open-world one. Not every game would be better as an open world, it would just make every game more boring. Yeah it was just a demo but Sonic Utopia looked like the most boring trash I have ever seen since Nier Automata.

What the hell is wrong with a tight-knit obstacle course anyways?

Amen! I Sonic Utopia is really cute and beautiful, and has good physics, but from a gameplay design perspective it has nothing going for it except running around in Sonic's world. Not every series gels well with open world, and Sonic certainly doesn't.

I would agree with this.

At some point Sonic Team got it in their heads that they need to pad their game length out as long as possible.

That point was Sonic Adventure. Almost every 3D game had unneeded padding from fishing stages, to super long emerald hunts, passing through the game 4 times, etc.

Even colors and generations had padding (2D stages and missions) but in those they were short and/or mostly skippable.

Guess Who

Banned
That point was Sonic Adventure. Almost every 3D game had unneeded padding from fishing stages, to super long emerald hunts, passing through the game 4 times, etc.

Even colors and generations had padding (2D stages and missions) but in those they were short and/or mostly skippable.

Adventure at least tried to make it feel like more than just “padding”, because each character was a meaningful different play style and game mode even if some of them sucked. Padding in Heroes is more or less “play the exact same game four times”, or in Unleashed it’s “go back to levels you already did and hunt around for 15 stupid medals”. Heroes and Werehog-Unleashed also had needlessly long stages as it is, with lots of bulletsponge enemies, so replaying them over and over is exhausting.

Foffy

Banned
I'm pretty tolerant of a lot of the 3D Sonic games, but this one just looks so.... bland

I can't grasp it, either.

We know of four playable characters, there's very little that differentiates them as they all seem to get heavy side scrolling sections, and it just seems like they threw anything and everything at the game in terms of characters and bad dudes. I'm shocked that this didn't flow into the gameplay: if it's a title about a force against Eggman, you would imagine this was the game where they'd allow a deep variety of characters to play as with slight changes.

At least with games pre-Unleashed, the characters had different enough of a spice to the gameplay, even if that created the problem of Sonic barely being the character with the majority of screentime in a Sonic game. Here it's like Sonic is just being remodeled as other characters, so one can only platform without boosts, one can't boost but use guns, and the other is Shadow, so that one makes the most sense for being a clone.

I'm actually most interested in the length of the game. I have a feeling this is going to be a super short title.

Top Bottom