• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

qq more

Interesting bits from the interview:

He states the game will be longer than previous titles, so that's great if true.

I find it interesting they weren't able to achieve 60 fps for Generations.

Sonic Generations was extremely detailed, which was why it was 30fps with some drops. Lost Worlds has a very simplistic art direction going for it, which is how they achieved 60fps.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Platformers are typically shorter games, though... so, when you think about 5 hours for the main game and then extra time to go back and get the collectables/red rings, then you've got more time to play the game/score attack the game like you did for older games and especially for Colours/Unleashed/Gens.

Personally, my grievances are with the final boss and the level design/game pacing, but I've written why earlier in the thread. I want to play it to see if I feel the same way.

Is this vid not supposed to be loading or what?
Just watch the guy's stream archive. It has everything.

PsychBat!

Banned
Well, so much for this then
tumblr_musfoheaXP1sqd941o1_1280.jpg

5096ec7aafa96f73b700539a.gif

TrueBlue

Argh, I figured the game would get this sort of reception, it seems like one of those really polarising things.

Still hoping it'll get a sequel with this play style. The potential if applied correctly is staggering.

TheOGB

Banned
Argh, I figured the game would get this sort of reception, it seems like one of those really polarising things.

Still hoping it'll get a sequel with this play style. The potential if applied correctly is staggering.
It's sad that you can say this about literally every Sonic game that isn't 2 or 3&K.

TrueBlue

My thoughts exactly. Next game with this new style could be fantastic.

It's sad that you can say this about literally every Sonic game that isn't 2 or 3&K.

In response to both of you, I'm hoping that this will be similar to the Boost Trilogy, assuming Lost World doesn't get the greatest reception.

By this I mean the response to Unleashed. Instead of panicking, the dev team actually took note of what people liked and disliked. By the time Generations hit, it was clear to see the improvements from Unleashed and Colours. Less QTEs, tighter controls, more paths etc.

I hope the same attitude is kept here, because it's a healthy one, and will benefit Sonic.

mattx5

I'm a bit surprised by all the dismay, I'm going through the stream archive and the action looks great, the mechanics interesting and the levels look incredibly varied. I guess I'll have to wait till I see the endgame everyone is complaining about I guess.

Aside from a few cheap deaths I noticed this looks to be the most fluid Sonic game in a long time.

The music sounds really good too!

And have boss battles ever been an important thing to the Sonic games? I don't think they've ever done them very well, wish they would just dispense with bosses altogether.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Regarding the 6-hours talk: Sonic is not about playing each levels once, if you do that, the game is short, yes. However, there are 5 red rings hidden in each level, several alternative paths, shortcuts and so on. Also, besides the red rings there are also time attacks, which are not easy. I have played the game for 40:28, which is playing through the game, collecting all red rings, getting most S-ranks (I still need to get three more, so I'm not done yet). Also, there is some small extra most will probably not do, but I'm shure I will end up north of 50 hours because of this. Without counting replays just for fun that will definitely also happen. Mind you, I'm a Sonic fan, so if you just want to run through the game once as quickly as possible, you will possibly end up disappointed by the length.

TheOGB

Banned
In response to both of you, I'm hoping that this will be similar to the Boost Trilogy, assuming Lost World doesn't get the greatest reception.

By this I mean the response to Unleashed. Instead of panicking, the dev team actually took note of what people liked and disliked. By the time Generations hit, it was clear to see the improvements from Unleashed and Colours. Less QTEs, tighter controls, more paths etc.

I hope the same attitude is kept here, because it's a healthy one, and will benefit Sonic.
Yeah, I see. Sonic Team needs to be very keen on what people are saying and take notes instead of throwing the whole thing out the window.

Just from the little I've seen so far, they've got good ideas in the speed tiers and the parkour. Try creating more momentum between speeds, perhaps? TheCongressman1's brought up many times that Sonic could (or rather, should) accelerate and decelerate between speeds. And maybe a more gounded setting could fit better for the parkour? Sonic can finally run along walls without it being a scripted event and there's not a city or a building in sight!
4tCIK.gif

Yeah, I see. Sonic Team needs to be very keen on what people are saying and take notes instead of throwing the whole thing out the window.

Just from the little I've seen so far, they've got good ideas in the speed tiers and the parkour. Try creating more momentum between speeds, perhaps? TheCongressman1's brought up many times that Sonic could (or rather, should) accelerate and decelerate between speeds. And maybe a more gounded setting could fit better for the parkour?]

Yes, exactly. :)

RobbieNick

One question on the story for those who have played it.

We know how the Critters got to Lost Hex (Through Eggman capturing them.), but does it ever explain how Eggman re-captured all the Wisps again? That's quite an accomplishment to pull off both.

Were we all watching the same stream? This looks like loads of fun.

I've never played the game but I could see where the guy playing was going wrong a lot of the time, he doesn't always seem to have the fastest reactions...

NotLiquid

I'm going to assume that most people are just disappointed that this isnt the be-all, end-all Sonic game that it was hyped up to be. I mean, loads of people were more excited about this game than 3D World at one point.

The game will probably be good, maybe great even. But it seems like its going to end up being another mostly safe Sonic game. Its better having a safe, good game like Colors than a bad one but Sonic has had a mostly solid track record for 5 years now. The stigma is mostly gone. They can afford to be a bit more ambitious.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's a good, polished game. Just not even close to mario levels of quality. Even though at points it really seems to want to be a mario game.
It's a shame as I thought Sonic Generations was more fun than even Mario Galaxy and one of the best 3D platformers to date. Was hoping they could keep that momentum going.

Spinluck

It's a shame as I thought Sonic Generations was more fun than even Mario Galaxy and one of the best 3D platformers to date. Was hoping they could keep that momentum going.

Well, I don't consider Generations on par with any of the Galaxy games. But who's to say you won't enjoy this one as much or even more if you liked Generations that much. You still haven't tried it yet (I don't think you have based off your post).

dark10x

Well, I don't consider Generations on par with any of the Galaxy games. But who's to say you won't enjoy this one as much or even more if you liked Generations that much. You still haven't tried it yet (I don't think you have based off your post).
I haven't and I'm still optimistic but I really did not like those wisp powers in Colors so I'm worried that gimmicks will sour this game. I'll be there on day 1, though.

Galaxy games were great and I'm crazy for preferring Generations, I'm sure, but I simply felt that Generation provided more consistent fun. Galaxy was a mixed bag for me with some stages being more of a chore and didn't encourage me to play through them many times over. Galaxy is still incredible, though.

AniHawk

generations goes places, but the 3d platforming is about half the game, and fairly uneven. the classic levels range from good to great (and in the order in which they appear), city escape is good, and the unleashed level is pretty nice, but the sonic adventure level, the sonic heroes level, the sonic and his shitty friends level, and the sonic colors level are all kinda not that good. the colors one in particular was kinda bad and missed what made colors good (options!).

the 2d stuff was the highlight. seaside hill, emerald whatever from the classic stage, and city escape were glorious. the only ones that didn't work were the first and last from the modern era.

and mirror's edge was the best 3d sonic game anyway last gen.

Yoshi

But it seems like its going to end up being another mostly safe Sonic game. Its better having a safe, good game like Colors than a bad one but Sonic has had a mostly solid track record for 5 years now. The stigma is mostly gone. They can afford to be a bit more ambitious.

It's not a "safe" Sonic, they went in a toally different direction than before, how is that safe?

dark10x

the 2d stuff was the highlight. seaside hill, emerald whatever from the classic stage, and city escape were glorious. the only ones that didn't work were the first and last from the modern era.

I love Mirror's Edge but the constant barrage of loading sequences (ie - elevators) and certain mid-level sequences definitely dulled the experience. Still amazing, though.

I love both the 2D and 3D stuff in Generations and enjoyed every level (though the Colors stage was my least favorite by far).

haikira

Can't believe this is out tomorrow! That really crept up on me, considering it's one of my most anticipated this year. Definitely going to try and grab this while I'm out tomorrow.

AniHawk

I love Mirror's Edge but the constant barrage of loading sequences (ie - elevators) and certain mid-level sequences definitely dulled the experience. Still amazing, though.

i considered those to be act breaks in a zone, especially after playing time trials. the time trials were a real eye opener to how clever the level design really was.

dark10x

Can't believe this is out tomorrow! That really crept up on me, considering it's one of my most anticipated this year. Definitely going to try and grab this while I'm out tomorrow.
I would too if it weren't for f*cking region locking. I'm living in Europe by my Wii U is American. I'll still import it but it's times like this that I seriously considering throwing up the middle finger at the Wii U and ignoring all but the very best games.

i considered those to be act breaks in a zone, especially after playing time trials. the time trials were a real eye opener to how clever the level design really was.
That's not a bad way to look at it, but to me, it's obvious that they are loading points and I always found them to get in the way.

NotLiquid

It's not a "safe" Sonic, they went in a toally different direction than before, how is that safe?

I figure I chose my words carefully when I said "mostly" as I'm speaking almost purely from a progression perspective. Short in length, same (but varied) level tropes that we've already seen from the series since Genesis, boiler-plate 2D platforming that hasnt really improved since Colors, etc.

I'm getting the sense that Lost World is touching on some concepts that can truly be a gamechanger, but that it isnt going the extra mile with the content supporting the foundation. And I say that knowing that its currently the Wii U game I'm most interested in playing, with a payed-off preorder and all. I truly hope I'm wrong.

TrueBlue

Just from the little I've seen so far, they've got good ideas in the speed tiers and the parkour. Try creating more momentum between speeds, perhaps? TheCongressman1's brought up many times that Sonic could (or rather, should) accelerate and decelerate between speeds. And maybe a more gounded setting could fit better for the parkour? Sonic can finally run along walls without it being a scripted event and there's not a city or a building in sight!
4tCIK.gif

Honestly, I think this tiered speed system can be the perfect way to finally implement momentum into the ganeplay.

I'm not just talking about momentum between tiers. For instance, imagine traversing the environnent on the lowest tier of speed, a quick tap of the Spin Dash
trigger would cause Sonic to roll for a short distance before uncurling. Doing the same on a higher tier would cause the roll to last longer. Just like the classics.

Then you add in the parkour, with its effectiveness being tied towards your momentum being retained. Give Sonic more grounded and free environments to play with these new abilities. Make the Spin Dash effected by the environment, slowing it down when reaching an uphill section.

Honestly, I truly think the dev team have the right idea and foundations in place, they just need better application.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh my god. (endgame spoilers)

I just watched the last level/boss/ending, and boy, you guys were not kidding. That was a huge letdown. The lame "twist," the same boss (minus the excitement, urgency, and apparently, challenge), and that "ending," god, what was that? Did the writers seriously fizzle out that bad? Are they pulling our leg? This has got to be a ruse, right? We'll get the real ending with all the red rings... right? (I mean, that is pretty plausible...)

On the bright side, I am more determined than ever to explore the hell out of these levels. :p

Honestly, I think this tiered speed system can be the perfect way to finally implement momentum into the ganeplay.

I'm not just talking about momentum between tiers. For instance, imagine traversing the environnent on the lowest tier of speed, a quick tap of the Spin Dash
trigger would cause Sonic to roll for a short distance before uncurling. Doing the same on a higher tier would cause the roll to last longer. Just like the classics.

Yes, this is exactly what I've been talking about forever. The idea seems to be catching on, so I hope Sega picks it up.

NotLiquid

I've been trying to avoid spoilers adamantly for this game (someone ruined Generations for me). Without spoiling, is the ending that bad or is it just disappointing? Is there a true ending or some such like in the pre-Unleashed games?

Generations was imo the most disappointing ending to a Sonic game... Ever. It really soured up the game in the final moments and I hope Lost World is at least better than that.

TrueBlue

Yes, this is exactly what I've been talking about forever. The idea seems to be catching on, so I hope Sega picks it up.

I think they will. Like I said, they already have the foundations, they just need to be tweaked. Plus, they seem to be willing to listen to feedback. The whole idea of the parkour was in response to the lack of flow that could arise from the Boost games if you made a mistake. Or the tiered speed systens responding to the complaints that they were too focused on speed.

rekameohs

Banned
I've been trying to avoid spoilers adamantly for this game (someone ruined Generations for me). Without spoiling, is the ending that bad or is it just disappointing? Is there a true ending or some such like in the pre-Unleashed games?

Generations was imo the most disappointing ending to a Sonic game... Ever. It really soured up the game in the final moments and I hope Lost World is at least better than that.

It's pretty darn bad. Extremely abrupt ending. I guess it ends cleanly or whatever, but it ends in about a minute.

It's a pretty boring boss fight - ripped straight from Colors to boot, a deus ex machina to save the day, a ~20 second celebration, and credits.

Yoshi

I could not disagree more. In fact, if Morror's Edge was a Sonic game, it'd be the worst this generation (bar Sonic Black Knight). This is not to say it's a worse game per se (Though I enjoyed Sonic Unleashed, Colours and Generations more. By a landslide), but it's way too slow, platforming suffers greatly under the first person perspective, combat breaks the flow. I wouldn't want to play a Sonic game modelled after Mirror's Edge. In fact, this very notion of it being anything like a "better" Sonic game was an important reason I was so enormously disappointed by Mirror's Edge (the aforementioned problems are the reasons mainly, but they weigh more if I expect something like a good Sonic game).

Make the Spin Dash effected by the environment, slowing it down when reaching an uphill section.
It is effected in Sonic Lost World, as you can probably see in the video where the guys play through the whole game. Though I would very much prefer if the next Sonic game wa a lot faster than Sonic Lost World. The highest tier shoudl always be Sonic Unleashed speed :).

Yoshi

Oh my god. (endgame spoilers)

I just watched the last level/boss/ending, and boy, you guys were not kidding. That was a huge letdown. The lame "twist," the same boss (minus the excitement, urgency, and apparently, challenge), and that "ending," god, what was that? Did the writers seriously fizzle out that bad? Are they pulling our leg? This has got to be a ruse, right? We'll get the real ending with all the red rings... right? (I mean, that is pretty plausible...)

Red rings do not unlock an additional final level.

I just got the game and return here to find a black bar barrage, no it's supposed to be the other way round where I'm the bringer of such spoileriffic info!
And here I was having enjoyed myself in the first two worlds, now i'm wondering if the game heads down the crapper at some point.
Strange that the game keeps telling me all these gimmicky game pad controls for Wisp usages when I can just like use the buttons instead, it's like they're trying to keep this a secret.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
come on step it up!

Yoshi

I just got the game and return here to find a black bar barrage, no it's supposed to be the other way round where I'm the bringer of such spoileriffic info!
And here I was having enjoyed myself in the first two worlds, now i'm wondering if the game heads down the crapper at some point.
Strange that the game keeps telling me all these gimmicky game pad controls for Wisp usages when I can just like use the buttons instead, it's like they're trying to keep this a secret.

Actually, besides Sonic & The Black Knight (and not counting such things as having to play Knuckles for the first time after having played Sonic in the first level of Sonic Adventure 2), imo no Sonic game became weaker as you played it. The closest thing to that would be Sonic Heroes, because of the (too) long levels later int he game offseting the gain due to the better understanding of the mechanics. If anything, I think the game will grow on you as you learn the finer aspects of the mechanics instead of heading down the crapper.

Top Bottom