• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

hatchx

Banned
On the other hand... 5 hours? It's not like I need to be paying $5 or something for those, but I'm certainly not eager to pay $60 or something. I'll see if I can Gamefly it though.

This.

Just way too short.

At this point, any review above a 6.0 will surprise me. Goddamn Nintendo, you money hatted the wrong game this time.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
On the other hand... 5 hours? It's not like I need to be paying $5 or something for those, but I'm certainly not eager to pay $60 or something. I'll see if I can Gamefly it though.

There's a lot of hidden stages from what I can tell that aren't part of the story, the ending took the person six and a half hours to reach (they had a timer runing the whole stream from the beginning of the game), but they only unlocked one secret level and didn't collect almost any Red Rings (which seems to unlock the extra levels). The length looks to be longer than Generations story, but about the same as Colors.

And post-ending spoiler, nothing story or ending related
There's also an extra world after beating the ending that took the player another hour afterward.

daman824

There's a lot of hidden stages from what I can tell that aren't part of the story, the ending took the person six and a half hours to reach (they had a timer runing the whole stream from the beginning of the game), but they only unlocked one secret level and didn't collect almost any Red Rings (which seems to unlock the extra levels). The length looks to be longer than Generations story, but about the same as Colors.

And post-ending spoiler, nothing story or ending related
There's also an extra world after beating the ending that took the player another hour afterward.
the secret world is so bad it shouldn't count.

Dusk Golem

This.

Just way too short.

At this point, any review above a 6.0 will surprise me. Goddamn Nintendo, you money hatted the wrong game this time.

The only review we have so far is from Famitsu, which I don't trust, but it's all we have, which gave it a 9/9/9/9, or a 36/40.

Kid Ying

I liked the Wiiu demo. Found very fun and very interesting. Don't know if the game blows after that, but it looked very good. I liked Colors though. The demo didn't strike me as being really like colors. It was much more like Galaxy.

As clarification for those wondering on the negativity: People in the stream chat were all thinking it looked terrific until a disappointing final boss and ending, so I think the depression is coming from climax let-down.

I'm sure that's a big factor, but I've been on the fence for a while so hearing more details just makes me sad.

I still want to try it out, but I'm not going to get it until it's in the value bin.

As clarification for those wondering on the negativity: People in the stream chat were all thinking it looked terrific until a disappointing final boss and ending, so I think the depression is coming from climax let-down.

For me,
the last 2 levels of Lava world seem utterly cheap in designs with their insta-kill items/event...I would be perfectly fine with the ending if the final boss wasn't a cheap rehash of the Nega-wisp armor. Some of the Wisps could have been better implemented (though the biggest offender is the hover and maybe eagle, the others seem okay).
Other than that? the game seems solid.

I'll be honest, I want to better judge it by actually playing the game.

Sciz

Five hours for a first-run clear of a Sonic game is insane. Throw in the hunt for unlockable content and replays for their own sake and it isn't going to be hurting for length.

I don't remember Colors taking me more than five or six hours to play through the first time. As long as the replay value is there, I don't mind a short Sonic game.

TheOGB

Banned
Well, so much for this then
tumblr_musfoheaXP1sqd941o1_1280.jpg

Marjar

Banned
I don't remember Colors taking me more than five or six hours to play through the first time. As long as the replay value is there, I don't mind a short Sonic game.

Yeah 5 hours is pretty decent. Sonic Colors was about that much, and Generations was like 3 hours long. I got a hell of a lot more mileage out of both though because of how insanely replayable they both are.

Eusis

It's actually 50... not that it's saying much, should've been 40 like I've said.
I swear I typed that. But still, yeah, it's a post-$40 price.

EDIT: On the other hand maybe I misremembered how long some of those games were supposed to be.

Watched the stream. Looked good (besides the bosses but ANYTHING is better than that Time Eater thing. Fuck that guy). Still buying. Length is a little disappointing but apparently there's like 30 hidden stages so whatever.

I think the game is going to get judged harshly by reviewers. I think a metacritic score in the low 70's is the most anyone can expect.

Not that this tells you much about the games actual quality.

Spinluck

This game is clearly a test, to see if a Mario and Sonic crossover platformer would work.

Tokyo EAD demanded to see some kind of prototype or rough draft, and this is it!!

Teknoman

Watched the stream. Looked good (besides the bosses but ANYTHING is better than that Time Eater thing. Fuck that guy). Still buying. Length is a little disappointing but apparently there's like 30 hidden stages so whatever.

Thats what made Colors so replayable imo, the extra stages and the ease of entering a stage.

Reviewers seemed to like Colors and Generations if i'm not mistaken, so i'm sure it'll get favorable reviews.

Dusk Golem

I want to throw something out there. The game is much more fun to play than it is to watch. I made this verdict when I played it back at PAX, played 6 levels. I had seen those six levels before, but they were much more fun to play than they were to watch, I discovered. They felt different than I had expected, and I had much more fun playing them than I had expected from all the videos done of them before PAX.

The streamer, the actual person playing, seemed to have really enjoyed the game, outside of some rough difficulty spikes. I think that speaks more to me than those that watch as I feel this game is a game more fun playing than watching.

There will probably be a demo for US and Europe as Japan just recently got a demo for the WiiU and 3DS, so people will be able to try that most likely.

qq more

I swear I typed that. But still, yeah, it's a post-$40 price.

EDIT: On the other hand maybe I misremembered how long some of those games were supposed to be.

I played Colors from start to finish the other week and finished it in a few hours. Maybe 3 or 4? And it was my first time beating it too. Is there a way to check how many hours I've clocked in Colors?

I might be mistaken but Sonic Generations was shorter, but it had a lot of side content at the same time so...

Does Lost World have a lot of side content?

I played Colors from start to finish the other week and finished it in a few hours. Maybe 3 or 4? And it was my first time beating it too. Is there a way to check how many hours I've clocked in Colors?

I might be mistaken but Sonic Generations was shorter, but it had a lot of side content at the same time so...

Does Lost World have a lot of side content?

I think your save file at the load game selection tells you how long you've played.

NotLiquid

Well shit, guess I have to go back on me saying that the game was going to be longer than Colors. That is legitimately disappointing.

Hope the game can deliver on the quality instead. Even though Colors wasn't necessarily my thing it was sweet while it lasted and it seems like most people loved that game anyways.

Complaints about it being too short? Oh boy, Lord Iizuka-sama will be sure to save us with some dreadful wonderful! mech/fishing/busted radar hunting sections in the next game!

RobbieNick

People are complaining the game is only 5 hours long? Did they not play Colors and Generations when they were about the same length? It's not about the length, it's the replayability. You'll still be needing to go back to gt all the red rings, free all the critters, turn into Super Sonic and all that other fun stuff.

Spinluck

People are complaining the game is only 5 hours long? Did they not play Colors and Generations when they were about the same length? It's not about the length, it's the replayability. You'll still be needing to go back to gt all the red rings, free all the critters, turn into Super Sonic and all that other fun stuff.

Yup.

I had a blast doing all that in Colors, and getting a Platinum Trophy in Generations.

Hell, some of the side stuff was better than some of the main stages.

Seik

Banned

This. I spent way more than 10-15 hours on Colors for them red coins: :p

Zalman

This so much. The Werehog seriously only existed to make the game longer than a few hours. I don't ever want that shit ever again.
Yeah, it seriously destroyed the game for me. I would've enjoyed Unleashed if they had cut those levels out, no matter how short it would end up being. I really can't see myself not enjoying this game unless something goes horribly wrong. Even if the bosses are terrible, there are still awesome levels to keep going back to.

nice interview

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...on_bringing_sonic_lost_world_to_wii_u_and_3ds

NL: We’ve seen more classic and new Sonic games released on smartphone platforms, so does this have any potential impact — in your view — on the future of the series on devices such as the 3DS?

Takashi Iizuka: Smartphones are the best device to enjoy simple control and shortburst gameplay. But to enjoy a full sized game like Sonic Lost World, smartphones which don't have buttons are not the best. So in the future, I feel that games that are best for each platform will be provided.

branny

I will totes keep my pre-order if the demo is as fun as the Generations one.

I'm a little more curious about the 3DS version now, though.

Zalman

I'm a little more curious about the 3DS version now, though.
I'm feeling a little uneasy about it. I'm sure the Wii U version will be cool, but I'm not completely sold on the 3DS one. It's great that they're finally going full 3D on a handheld though.

Zalman

Interesting bits from the interview:

NL: In terms of the longevity of this title, how many stages are included, and will there be plenty of hidden collectibles and tasks beyond the core game?

Takashi Iizuka: If we reply exactly, we may give away the enjoyment of whom will be playing, so we won’t. But we have more than 30 levels, so it’s large compared to the previous titles,. We also have Extra stages which we couldn’t include in the main story, so please enjoy.
He states the game will be longer than previous titles, so that's great if true.

NL: Overall, what are your thoughts on the capabilities of the Wii U, in terms of features and the processing power that it offers development teams?

Takashi Iizuka: From Sonic Colors, Sonic Generation and to Sonic Lost World, as we release the titles, spec of console has been improved. Thanks to the improvements of the processing power, in Lost World we were able to apply 60fps even in 3D action, which we weren’t able to achieve recently in Sonic.
I find it interesting they weren't able to achieve 60 fps for Generations.

Top Bottom